Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which graphic style do you prefer Sims 3 or 4?

Comments

• Options
    HyunHeeHyunHee Posts: 390 Member
    edited January 2017
    I perfer sims 4 because sims 3 sims aren't my taste...On top of that I feel dismal while playing it but the game is beautiful.
    2vc864m.jpg

• Options
    StilettoBlackStilettoBlack Posts: 3,844 Member
    The sims 3.
    TS4 has these clouds that never change. I was impressed the 1st time I saw them, but now it's just old.
  • Options
    MaeraMaera Posts: 1,575 Member
    @Deshong04 I completely agree. I love your sims, they're all awesome. The third one from the bottom though...<3
  • Options
    LiseyLisey Posts: 195 Member
    TS4. TS3 is on the border of uncanny valley and the Sims start to look repetitive after a while (what everyone calls pudding face). Although I actually do like TS3 graphics overall, TS4 definitely improved on the graphics. :)
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    @Maera Thank you.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Lisey wrote: »
    TS4. TS3 is on the border of uncanny valley and the Sims start to look repetitive after a while (what everyone calls pudding face). Although I actually do like TS3 graphics overall, TS4 definitely improved on the graphics. :)
    What everyone calls puddingface is all sliders in the middle. And sims in 4 look repetitive as well, to be honest that is a franchise thing, it happens in all versions for some reason (except TSM).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited January 2017
    I've never played TSM so have no idea how it worked in that game, but I always thought that maybe the repetitive sims were intentional since the game has to create sims to populate the neighborhoods. In order for the game not to get too out of hand when creating new sims, I think it's possible they just made sure not to let the parameters of the body parts and facial features go too far out, if you know what I mean. Of course it would be possible to avoid that with more care and attention but we all know they tend to focus efforts on specific things and let the rest be 'good enough'.

BTW, I'm pretty sure I already replied to this topic but I prefer TS3 sims and art style. I do need to use custom skins and eyes to really like how they look most of the time, but with a good graphics card so I can have my settings on high or above the whole game looks better than the poor simmers who have to have it on medium or even low settings. For those people I can understand why they might like TS4 graphics better. Plus a lot of people love the Pixar Disney look and TS4 has that aplenty.

I really I don't care for TS4 sims because first of all they look out of focus to me, and I can't stand the plastic textures. It's like looking at little fuzzy Barbie dolls. And of course the lack of textures in general is just atrocious. Looking at those plastic rocks in the background is highly disturbing to me; it makes me feel like I'm in the middle of a Saturday morning cartoon instead of a Sims game.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited January 2017
    TSM sims are gorgeous. I was expecting a higher detailed version of them for TS4. Instead.. look what we got :(

Sims 3 sims can look repetitive, if you have a user who doesn't experiment with sliders, and the same goes for TS2 and 4. I don't like the looks of the push pull system myself.
    Sometimes I wonder if the sheer amount of disproportional bodies I see on TS4 sims is because of that. Male Sims with massively broad shoulders and huge arms, with tiny tiny waists and legs. It makes their heads look really little too.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    @Deshong04 , Whole heartedly agree with you on all counts!! That dude with the gold earrings, freckles, and glasses...WOW!!! love him!! <3
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Lisey wrote: »

Work with sliders, no more "pudding". Uncanny Valley...gotta look that one up.
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    I had an *ah-ha* moment about what TS4 Sims look like to me: Bill Pullman when he gets turned into a ghost in Casper .

I so hope they take art style in a different direction should there be a TS5 because I think they missed a real opportunity to progress on that with TS4.
  • Options
    Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    I had an *ah-ha* moment about what TS4 Sims look like to me: Bill Pullman when he gets turned into a ghost in Casper .

I so hope they take art style in a different direction should there be a TS5 because I think they missed a real opportunity to progress on that with TS4.

They do! :Ddr-james-harvey-casper-1.57.jpg
    casper-8.jpg
  • Options
    @Charlottesmom Thank you.

In this sense, Uncanny Valley is a term used to describe the graphics being almost too realistic. For example:
    the_order_1886_group.jpg
    Beyond_Two_Souls_new_9.jpg
    the_last_of_us_game_hd_wallpaper_08_1366x768.jpg

If you have not played Uncharted 4: A Thief's End and you intend to play the game...DO NOT CLICK.
    Uncharted_4_A_Thief_s_End_20160529204123.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEPzofGKSNE

TS3 is no where near 'uncanny valley' and no offense to anyone but I'm pretty sure they don't really play games to know the difference. When I look at EA's unmodified Sims I can tell right away it's a game. Even with the CC I chose it is still very evident that the characters are from a game. I suppose how realistic the graphics are in other games never bothered me because I know the difference between reality and fiction. Therefore, 'uncanny valley' does not exist to me. For me, it is an unusual made up term that may be an excuse to cut how expensive and that much more in-depth visuals could be. However, in the case of The Sims I do realize the need to come to a common ground so that most are able to play the game without having high system requirements. But if that means a game like TS4 instead of striving for an improvement over the TS3...then what's the point of The Sims future if it is not going to progress? Did TS3 not do well?
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    @Deshong04 I reallythought the first picture were real humans...And am still not convinced they're not.
  • Options
    @GITTE2001 The first picture is from a game named, The Order: 1886. Yes the developers have done a very beautiful job with the game and in my opinion is one of the best games graphically. There is so much talent. The gameplay is a lot of fun as well. I really do hope they continue the story with a sequel.
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    @aricarai OMG laughed way too hard at "plastic clay toupees" ahahahaha so true.

I agree with what most everyone here has said, TS3 graphics are far superior. I find it interesting that the main argument people seem to have for not liking TS3 is pudding face. TS4 is about as pudding as it gets imo, when everyone pulls the same exact faces. Even hitting shuffle in CAS, you get the same few faces all the time. I also feel like male sims in 4 just look...dorky and not manly at all.

@JoAnne65 your male sim comparison is the perfect example. That face he's pulling...yuck! He looks way better in TS3.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I encountered a true puddingface in my game the other day and challenged myself into adjusting him by just using sliders (so no changing of the default eyes, nose and mouth, even the eyebrows I wasn't allowed to change). This was the result and I'm simply really very satisfied (and this was a five minutes job):

Bill2_zpst8fx7juc.png

He went from plain and pudding to a guy with a character (I don't like by the way, don't trust him, I just might give him a part in my game). And like always he looks better in game.

edit: in doubt about the eyebrows now, I may have 'cheated' there, they look different..

@Deshong04 Yes, I agree with you. sims 3 vanilla is far from uncanny valley. This approaches it:

80ef6a7e213de4ec82a410e1ee31b422-gnd.jpg

But that's CC heavy and probably photoshopped.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    SunnyyesjamsSunnyyesjams Posts: 541 Member
    Without cc: s4>s3
    With cc: s3>s4
    kwdT9wX.gif
  • Options
    xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I encountered a true puddingface in my game the other day and challenged myself into adjusting him by just using sliders (so no changing of the default eyes, nose and mouth, even the eyebrows I wasn't allowed to change). This was the result and I'm simply really very satisfied (and this was a five minutes job):

Bill2_zpst8fx7juc.png

He went from plain and pudding to a guy with a character (I don't like by the way, don't trust him, I just might give him a part in my game). And like always he looks better in game.

edit: in doubt about the eyebrows now, I may have 'cheated' there, they look different..

@Deshong04 Yes, I agree with you. sims 3 vanilla is far from uncanny valley. This approaches it:

80ef6a7e213de4ec82a410e1ee31b422-gnd.jpg

But that's CC heavy and probably photoshopped.

OMG that Lana Del Rey sim is gorgeous!!!
  • Options
    adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member
    i like the sims 3 for me the best i really like how it looks sunsets and sunrises are the most beautiful thing. the game is like 2x prettier with seasons the textures may not be the best but its the sims! but they still an amazing job for a 2009 game. and if you a lighting mod the game is just unbelievable! the worlds in the are just amazing too! and this comes to show why alot of people hated the sims 4 personally i though the sims wasnt (that) for my self but its wayyyyy boring than the sims 3 it self. all i can say is the sims 3 is a masterpiece!
  • Options
    Without cc: s4>s3
    With cc: s3>s4
    That's opinion I guess. I prefer vanilla Sims 3 landscape over vanilla Sims 4 with or without CC any time. As for sims, neither. I really regret the plastic look myself - especially for males, for females it's more acceptable - and I regret the smirks in the game. I've played Sims 3 sims vanilla for years and they look better to me than in game sims in 4. I must add a lot of CC used on sims in 3 makes me cringe by the way.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,233 Member
    I really I don't care for TS4 sims because first of all they look out of focus to me, and I can't stand the plastic textures. It's like looking at little fuzzy Barbie dolls. And of course the lack of textures in general is just atrocious. Looking at those plastic rocks in the background is highly disturbing to me; it makes me feel like I'm in the middle of a Saturday morning cartoon instead of a Sims game.

THIS sums it up 100% for me. I just think of a Pixar kids movie and it's not how I want my town to look. Everything is soft focus and pastel blue and pink. There seems to be a blue hue akin to the bloom when it's a full moon in Supernatural. Just can't deal with that.
    I'm convinced they were trying to pull in a younger audience for this game, hence the cartoonish graphics and in a way that makes sense, as a company they need to bring in another generation, but it's far too plastic looking for my taste.
  • Options
    juncedajunceda Posts: 2,614 Member

I´ve allways thought that the graphics in TS4 with all their flaws and low quality were not the main issue in that game, but now that I came back to it to play the Toddlers, it is more and more apparent and noticiable for me that the graphics are too much "pixar/plastic like" without textures and low quality, and the inside lighting of the game (that I thought had been fixed by now) is terrific, plus no matter how "pretty" in CAS is a TS4 sim, it goes to the dark side when you play it in game, on the other hand sims in TS3 are far better in game with the lighting and shadows and discret expresions of their faces... So for me TS3 graphics>>>TS4... also ...
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

I can play at last TS2 TS3 and TS4 So great that toddlers are here!!!
  • Options
    WenniepennieWenniepennie Posts: 61 Member
    Sims 4 looks better, but the gameplay of The sims 3 was better. The sims in the sims 3 just look so potatoelike...