Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So I got a "new" computer from my friend, now what do I do?

Hi!

I have a rather generous friend that heard that I have a laptop that is near death, so he bought me a "new" laptop!

So, my questions are....

Will Maxis allow me to install Sims 4 on the new laptop?

Will I be able to transfer my current sims to the new computer, or will I have to start over (YET AGAIN!)???

IS transferring my mods as simple as copying them to a flash drive or external drive and placing them into the MODS folder?

That's all I have for now---I love you guys! Muh-wah! <3 Thanks ahead of time! :)

Michael, AKA 911TruthBear

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Yes you can transfer- save the whole sims 4 folder from documents to flash drive. Clean install the sims 4 on your new computer, replace the new sims 4 folder in documents with the one you saved on flash drive
  • Options
    911TruthBear911TruthBear Posts: 626 Member
    Will I still be able to play SIms 4 on the old computer until it dies??
  • Options

yes you can play on two different computers. Your going to be putting a copy of your current game on the new computer but still play the old one too, your games will have different outcomes . If your going to transfer your current game on the new computer I would just play it on the new computer
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member

Hello.
    You can still play your sims 4 on the other computer. The progress that you make in the saves on your new computer though won't be refiected in the save games on your old computer.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    This is what I wrote on another thread to another simmer and explains about installing sims 4 onto your new computer and swapping over your old files to your new computer :

Your sims 4 game is linked to your origin account. You can log into origin using the same account that you used to register the game, then go to my games section, go to the sims 4 picture and download/install it there. Then click the little "i" button that is next to the play button. That will take you to a screen that shows you what game packs, stuff packs and eps you own. Go to the pack sections, and you can then download/install them there.

Make a copy of your sims 4 folder on your old computer that is in Documents > Electronic Arts > ( then The Sims 4 folder is there ) and place it on an external drive.
    Then after installing the sims 4 game onto the new computer, play it once to generate a new sims 4 folder.
    In your sims 4 folder are your saves folder ( contains your save games) and the tray folder ( which contains your lots and households that you have uploaded to your library or have downloaded from the community gallery ) Replace the saves, tray, mods, custom music and screenshots folders that are in the new sims 4 folder with the same folders that are in the sims 4 folder on your external drive. You will then have your old save games and creations etc on your new computer.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    As mentioned above... Saves, library, screenshots, mods, etc.. are saved to your hard drive. You will need to transfer that yourself. Here is how: http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/backups/

You can copy the whole folder or if the device that you're using to switch over such as a flash drive doesn't have that much space then you can pick and choose what to carry over. Explained in the link.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options

yes you can play on two different computers. Your going to be putting a copy of your current game on the new computer but still play the old one too, your games will have different outcomes . If your going to transfer your current game on the new computer I would just play it on the new computer

So, in theory, I could, for example, own 20 laptops and have Sims4 running on all 20 of them, but only pay for one copy! :)

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member

So, in theory, I could, for example, own 20 laptops and have Sims4 running on all 20 of them, but only pay for one copy! :)

I believe you can only install the game in 5 computers at max at one point of time. So, no. XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Hello .
    This is what is written on the EA Help site.
    https://help.ea.com/en/article/installing-the-sims-4-on-multiple-computers/
  • Options
    rosemow wrote: »

Hello .
    This is what is written on the EA Help site.
    https://help.ea.com/en/article/installing-the-sims-4-on-multiple-computers/
    EA Games wrote:
    The Sims 4, like other EA titles running through the Origin client, can be installed and uninstalled on multiple computers.

Only one computer, however, can be logged in to Origin and actively playing The Sims 4 at a time.

• Options

I dont know how many computers they will let you install the game on . I know that they had something in place that if you downloaded the game 5 times within a certain period of time , your account would get locked and only EA could unlock it.. They keep changing origin so at this point I have no idea how many copies you can install on different computers.

I know that if you have the game on more than one computer , and two people are playing at the same time, one of you would have to be in offline mode. People do family share this way. I would however not advise giving your friends your account info to download the game. This is an easy way for your account to get stolen. I have seen this happen before in the forum