Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Small update coming to the PC version of The Sims 3

Comments

• Options
    android00b7android00b7 Posts: 201 Member
    Long story short, I mindlessly installed this patch today and now I'm in bad shape. I use FPS limiter but can no longer bypass the launcher. Tried reinstalling but Origin installs with new patch by default(is this a new feature?)- if not for this ONE detail I could simply manually install patch 1.67. Purchased an early version of base game on Ebay simply to get around this. Had to buy a game I already own... I'm kind of getting mad thinking about it. Crinrict site has no workaround presently. Anyone hear anything about one or have any tips, please let me know.
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    You uninstalled the base game, cleared your registry, then reinstalled off of the disk? You should be able to apply the manual patch then. Of course I would do this while disconnected from the Internet.

I uninstalled Origin rather than to take any chances with them messing up my game. They have trained me well. :D And yes, TS2 UC still works with Origin uninstalled.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    Well I just ordered the disc 20 minutes ago so I don't have it, but yes and yes. I'd rather find a workaround so I could resell the disc and be done with it. Can someone confirm that installing TS3 through Origin always defaults to latest patch? Being able to turn off the feature would fix my problem immediately.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    Well I just ordered the disc 20 minutes ago so I don't have it, but yes and yes. I'd rather find a workaround so I could resell the disc and be done with it. Can someone confirm that installing TS3 through Origin always defaults to latest patch? Being able to turn off the feature would fix my problem immediately.

Yes - that is how they designed it to work.

• Options
    Lol. I wonder why, it seriously impacts flexibility. Ok- is there any way to prevent the game from installing automatically after I download it(like it used to be...)? If I could download it, which needs internet connection, then disconnect the internet before installing, it may not be able to install any patch and perhaps my problem could be fixed. Not optimistic, but hey.
  • Options
    It's my understanding that the new patch comes with any downloaded version of the base game.

• Options
    Lol. I wonder why, it seriously impacts flexibility. Ok- is there any way to prevent the game from installing automatically after I download it(like it used to be...)? If I could download it, which needs internet connection, then disconnect the internet before installing, it may not be able to install any patch and perhaps my problem could be fixed. Not optimistic, but hey.

I don't think you can avoid the patch with a download version, but there is an option in Origin to keep the installation files after installation is complete. If you have that checked (and it is unchecked by default) then you'll have files named like this in Program Files (x86) folder.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3\_Installer

• Options
    Thank you. I do have those files in that folder, however I see nothing usable inside it, and the folder supplied by Origin (\DownloadCache, and clicking on browse game installers) contains nothing after turning on the feature and installing the game. Out of stubbornness I even tried the System Restore, but that just made a mess. The launcher was back at patch 1.67, but everything else was wrong. I've never successfully fixed a Sims 3 problem with restore, has anyone else? If so, what files did you have to replace? I have Sims 3 backups that I've exhausted and I've run out of ideas. Got anything else for me? T.T

You know, I've been playing this game since it came out, have broken and then fixed it myself more times than I can count- I really would joke that I spent more time fixing it than actually playing, I mean this game is FRAGILE- and this is the first time that I find myself completely stuck. I'm even here, groveling for help. I'm completely frustrated that all of this could be avoided if Origin did not automatically download TS3 with the latest patch. Calling support would likely be fruitless, but I'm deadly curious why they implemented this... "feature"... Updating it oneself wasn't a problem, there are a million others they could have worked on...
  • Options
    Thank you. I do have those files in that folder, however I see nothing usable inside it, and the folder supplied by Origin (\DownloadCache, and clicking on browse game installers) contains nothing after turning on the feature and installing the game. Out of stubbornness I even tried the System Restore, but that just made a mess. The launcher was back at patch 1.67, but everything else was wrong. I've never successfully fixed a Sims 3 problem with restore, has anyone else? If so, what files did you have to replace? I have Sims 3 backups that I've exhausted and I've run out of ideas. Got anything else for me? T.T

You know, I've been playing this game since it came out, have broken and then fixed it myself more times than I can count- I really would joke that I spent more time fixing it than actually playing, I mean this game is FRAGILE- and this is the first time that I find myself completely stuck. I'm even here, groveling for help. I'm completely frustrated that all of this could be avoided if Origin did not automatically download TS3 with the latest patch. Calling support would likely be fruitless, but I'm deadly curious why they implemented this... "feature"... Updating it oneself wasn't a problem, there are a million others they could have worked on...

As I said, if you have the original disk for Sims 3 base game that was released in 2009. Not the one from Sept 2012. Then you can put all your saves and downloaded content somewhere safe and uninstall the whole thing. With the internet turned off and don't install origin. And use the saved copy of patch 1.67 after installing the base game.

Or if you want Origin, then install it before you reinstall Sims 3 and make sure you automatic updates turned off. You can cancel the update for the Sims 3 game by just closing it in Origin before you install Sims 3 from the original disk. Otherwise I have no idea. I just didn't install the update myself because I didn't want to take the risk of messing up my game.
  • Options

Crinrict did some experimenting and explains what she found at her blog: http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2015/11/expansion-and-stuff-pack-manager.html

But basically, pretty sure you have to do what @Karritz suggested - although you might get away with just uninstalling/reinstalling the base game but I'm not sure if that would work now that you have the patch. But Crinrict seems to think that would work (read the info at her blog) if you make sure you are not logged in to Origin.

• Options
    Thanks happy, I did see that at crinricts site earlier when I was scouring the internet for answers, and it looks like they haven't found anything new since. I guess I'll just keep an eye out- I bought an early version of the game off Ebay a few hours ago and it'll be here like, tomorrow probably, but I hate leaving things unfixed. I want to fix this. Now. You know? AHH
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited November 2015
    On the System Restore question, I keep seeing folks suggesting that and I wish they would stop ( @android00b7 -- not you, I know you only tried that out of desperation). System Restore isn't meant to revert your computer to the entire state it was in at a prior time; that's what ghosted disk images would be for, an entirely different process. System Restore only reverts system files, those related to Windows and its associated processes. What happens is that some but not all TS3 files (and potentially those of other programs) get caught up in in the restore process and the player is left with a mismatched hodgepodge of a game that cannot be launched at all. Everyone I know who has tried this throughout the game's history has had to uninstall everything, clean their Registry, and start from scratch.

Which, I'm afraid, if one doesn't have a pre-Sept 2012 disc to work with, looks like it involves Origin and this new patch.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    inkluv17inkluv17 Posts: 8 New Member
    since the update none of my games will save. wish I had figured out away not to update. now my game is useless.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    ^I was going to wait it out to see if anyone came up with a way to revert the Origin download version back after this patch, but decided to go ahead and order an old version of the disc off of Ebay before all of these inevitably disgruntled customers bought them out. It was like 10 bucks. ;p
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    On the System Restore question, I keep seeing folks suggesting that and I wish they would stop ( @android00b7 -- not you, I know you only tried that out of desperation). System Restore isn't meant to revert your computer to the entire state it was in at a prior time; that's what ghosted disk images would be for, an entirely different process. System Restore only reverts system files, those related to Windows and its associated processes. What happens is that some but not all TS3 files (and potentially those of other programs) get caught up in in the restore process and the player is left with a mismatched hodgepodge of a game that cannot be launched at all. Everyone I know who has tried this throughout the game's history has had to uninstall everything, clean their Registry, and start from scratch.

Which, I'm afraid, if one doesn't have a pre-Sept 2012 disc to work with, looks like it involves Origin and this new patch.

That's why I suggested reinstalling the entire game this time rather than just the Base Game.
  • Options
    molly0987molly0987 Posts: 3 New Member
    edited November 2015
    i could play sims 3 without logging in to ea or origin for quite a few years now suddenly after the latest update even playing the game without internet access i have to log into origin in off line mode and i have been informed origin have put cookies on my machine containing an algoritham to verify my password etc is correct and will require me to log in on line frequently to verify its me using my version of sims 3 . I really donot like what they have done
  • Options
    LazerRay3LazerRay3 Posts: 312 Member
    @ molly0987, this gives me another good reason not to update my game, I'm trapped in offline mode most of the time, the only time I get an internet connection is on public networks.

I rarely use the launcher anyway, I run my game from the .exe file so the NRaas No CD patch works as way to run Sims 3 when my DVD ROM drive acts up.
  • Options
    laydaywaylaydayway Posts: 259 Member
    I really am sad about what ea has done to the sims franchise it feels like anyone who lies all the best aspects have to sit there and watch as the sims is beaten to death with a crow bar
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited November 2015
    When I got my new computer, I installed my Sims 3 games via digital download. Now that it's tied to Origin, like my Sims 4 and Sims 2 UC, does that mean I really don't "own" the games? That if Origin decides to go belly up, I'll lose my games?
    Basically yes. Digital downloads, you can easily lose the games unless they decide to transfer them onto another engine like how the Sims has used SecuRom, Steam, and Origin so far. But yes you don't physically own the game. It is an intangible product. If you owned a disk version, it would be a tangible product and you would actually own it although the disk version of TS4 is weird. Of all the gaming engines, I like Steam the most. At least I know my games will be kept safe and not lag my games like how Origin does. I really don't view Origin as a serious gaming engine because it isn't. It is poorly optimized.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »
    When I got my new computer, I installed my Sims 3 games via digital download. Now that it's tied to Origin, like my Sims 4 and Sims 2 UC, does that mean I really don't "own" the games? That if Origin decides to go belly up, I'll lose my games?
    Basically yes. Digital downloads, you can easily lose the games unless they decide to transfer them onto another engine like how the Sims has used SecuRom, Steam, and Origin so far. But yes you don't physically own the game. It is an intangible product. If you owned a disk version, it would be a tangible product and you would actually own it although the disk version of TS4 is weird. Of all the gaming engines, I like Steam the most. At least I know my games will be kept safe and not lag my games like how Origin does. I really don't view Origin as a serious gaming engine because it isn't. It is poorly optimized.

You can keep the install files when you next install from Origin. There is a check box somewhere in the Origin menu that you need to click to stop them from being deleted. When you have them saved put them somewhere safe.

I don't know how you'll go later on without access to Origin though.

You can find your installer files here:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3\_Installer
  • Options
    laydaywaylaydayway Posts: 259 Member
    EA you have made sims fan very upset recently now go sit in the corner and think about how you can make it up to us ;)
  • Options
    blmbd1blmbd1 Posts: 14 New Member
    Can someone please help me? I have lots of expansion packs and have never had a problem with loading in the sims 3, however since I blindly did the update my game now doesn't load and is jumpy and lags when playing it. This is on the map, create a sim and in game. It says to install the packs in the launcher but when I do that it just shows what games I have in the store. All of the packs are also ticked. Is there any way to fix it? I'd like to still use all my packs :(
  • Options
    blmbd1 wrote: »
    Can someone please help me? I have lots of expansion packs and have never had a problem with loading in the sims 3, however since I blindly did the update my game now doesn't load and is jumpy and lags when playing it. This is on the map, create a sim and in game. It says to install the packs in the launcher but when I do that it just shows what games I have in the store. All of the packs are also ticked. Is there any way to fix it? I'd like to still use all my packs :(

What version of the Base Game do you have? Is it disk before 2012? Or digital download? Or Disk after Sept 2012?
  • Options
    blmbd1blmbd1 Posts: 14 New Member
    Karritz, it is a disc after Sept 2012
  • Options
    blmbd1 wrote: »
    Karritz, it is a disc after Sept 2012
    al

Then I don't think there is anything you can do about it. You were always logged into Origin to play the game.

You might like to add something to this thread.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/860901/small-update-coming-to-the-pc-version-of-the-sims-3#latest

Apparently EA are looking at that thread to see if there were any problems caused by the patch.

Also, you could add a post to the Technical Forum. Someone there may be able to help you. I have no idea really. I think it is generally a bit of a mess. A lot of people don't seem to have been affected and others can't play any more.

Crinrict is usually on top of things. Her blog is likely to have the latest info that may be of assistance.
    http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/

She's been testing on her own computers since the patch was released.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top