Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Small update coming to the PC version of The Sims 3

Comments

• Options
    Shiababy7Shiababy7 Posts: 100 Member
    Thanks a lot, your stupid and UNNECESSARY update ruined my game!

This is EXACTLY why I HAVE NOT and WILL NOT support your sims 4 games because you all have a wonderful habit of ruining so much for your users that have spent hundreds on a poor product. Now I can't even play my sims 3 games in peace because of this stupid addition in the launcher, it tells me to install my "packs" but they are all installed.

So that EP I just PURCHASED is a waste of my money, none of my downloads will appear in the launcher.

Just thanks, thank you SO MUCH.
  • Options
    StrofaneStrofane Posts: 10 New Member
    It boggles the mind how they suddenly throw an update at us (some of us do not even visit the forums unless there is a problem so we dont find out until it has already happened) and break what was already a fragile game at best.

It was working about as well as I could ask for with a few minor issues like corrupted save files and the like, but at least I could actually play the game. Now I cannot even do that. I have spent a small fortune on this game thanks in no small part to the cost of each and every expansion pack and I expect to play a fully functional game without issues and better customer service when things do go awry.

Oh and your updates, they should include updated Graphics card profiles for newer cards so I dont have to modify the SGR files everytime you update and screw my game up because my graphics card is not recognised.
  • Options
    crockatailcrockatail Posts: 312 Member
    edited June 2016
    EA/Maxis wants the control of the older Sims. Some of the family players stopped playing Sims 4 and went back to the older Sims 1,2,or 3 to get what family players found lacking in Sims 4 and that is toddlers,others had left for theirs own reasons.
    Post edited by crockatail on
  • Options
    crockatailcrockatail Posts: 312 Member
    JCWater wrote: »
    I've accepted the new update and now can't install anything downloaded from the exchange. When I asked for Technical help from EA they said that they don't have anything to do with TheSims3 website so can't help ! :( Has anyone got any ideas of how I can get round this ?
    yers back to s
    Some items might be able to be installed with alternative methods - try registering and asking at the Mod The Sims site.

@aws200 it's no secret that they've been wanting all their games tied to Origin for some time now. Not only as DRM, but also cuts out the second-hand games market and gives them total control. That whole 'games as a service' thing, that allows them to ax the game just like they do in Mobile. Wouldn't surprise me if that wasn't the ultimate goal.
    > I agreed with you,something not right with this update to the Sims 3 Launcher,I feel like theirs plans are to prevent family players who went back to earlier Sims games to have theirs toddlers that EA/Maxis refusing to let us have in the Sims 4. To force family players to play Sims 4 the way RF wants us to play.Having our sims to Parties day in and out and woohoo it up.
  • Options
    Evenstar606Evenstar606 Posts: 1,618 Member
    When I got my new computer, I installed my Sims 3 games via digital download. Now that it's tied to Origin, like my Sims 4 and Sims 2 UC, does that mean I really don't "own" the games? That if Origin decides to go belly up, I'll lose my games?
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    When I got my new computer, I installed my Sims 3 games via digital download. Now that it's tied to Origin, like my Sims 4 and Sims 2 UC, does that mean I really don't "own" the games? That if Origin decides to go belly up, I'll lose my games?

I think it was HappySimmer3 who tested her Sims 2 UC without Origin and it worked. However, if something did happen (I'd imagine pretty unlikely since this is a large company) where people couldn't access their games for downloading they'd never be able to be installed on any other machine since there would be no place to download them from.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    ClayworldClayworld Posts: 1,106 Member
    Thankfully, I have all discs from all of the games. Technically, I could run everything without Origin. I'm just so annoyed that they're messing with a finished game. No one asked for any of these "features." It's less & less likely that I'll ever get anything beyond the base Sims 4 game.
  • Options
    Clayworld wrote: »
    Thankfully, I have all discs from all of the games. Technically, I could run everything without Origin. I'm just so annoyed that they're messing with a finished game. No one asked for any of these "features." It's less & less likely that I'll ever get anything beyond the base Sims 4 game.

I know some people aren't having any problems with it but I'm thinking there has got to be some potential money-making scheme behind this; otherwise there's no reason for them to do it.

As for future Sims games? EA started to lose me years ago with leaving so many bugs unfixed--year after year of the same nonsense having to turn to the community to do it. The final nail in that coffin was forced digital download. I will still enjoy the games and expansions I've already purchased and may even buy another TS3 expansion pack but I got off EA's train a long, long time ago. I remember at some point during TS3 I said I wouldn't be making the move to TS4 when it came out because of the way the games had been being treated. Someone basically laughed at me and said, "Yeah, right." Here I am, well over a year after TS4 released and still haven't bought it and have no desire to.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    This new "patch" is just a downgrade to our games so we lose the use of our Mods,CAW and store content.I've decided to stay at 167 where I can still use CAW and still have my game Modded out to work almost perfectly.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    Hinu_Kyzah17Hinu_Kyzah17 Posts: 10 New Member
    Hey...
    I've just created an account so i can comment on this !! i play the sims 3 through origin and I stupidly did the update yesterday (version 1.69) and now my game has TERRIBLE beyond a joke lag ! i also brought 2 expansion packs the day before doing the update and it was working fine so it cant be them because i have uninstalled them just to be sure, how do stop it from lagging so bad is anyone else having this issue??!!! Thanks
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    Hey...
    I've just created an account so i can comment on this !! i play the sims 3 through origin and I stupidly did the update yesterday (version 1.69) and now my game has TERRIBLE beyond a joke lag ! i also brought 2 expansion packs the day before doing the update and it was working fine so it cant be them because i have uninstalled them just to be sure, how do stop it from lagging so bad is anyone else having this issue??!!! Thanks

A lot of people are having problems.

I managed to avoid doing the update. I'm happy about that.

I think the lag is probably caused by Origin using extra memory that you previously had available for your game. Do you have more than 4GB RAM installed?

You will probably get some more useful assistance though if you add a post to the Sims 3 Technical forum.
  • Options
    @Karritz i should do my laptop is ony used for the sims 3 but how do i check the ram ?
  • Options
    @Karritz i should do my laptop is ony used for the sims 3 but how do i check the ram ?

I'm assuming your are using a Windows computer. If so this is the process...

The easiest way would be to get your dxdiag report

This link will explain how to do it.
    https://help.ea.com/article/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information

To gather a DxDiag on your computer, please follow the steps below:

1. Press the Windows key + R.
    2. In the Open: box of the Run Window, type dxdiag.
    3. Click OK or press Enter.
    4. If you have a 64-bit OS, click Run 64-bit DxDiag.
    5. Click Save All Information.
    6. Click Save.
    7. Open the text file.
    8. On the Edit menu, click Select All.
    9. On the Edit menu, click Copy.
    10.Paste the text into your post. (If you get an error, split it into two posts)

I am not good with computer specs. You'd be better to open a new post in this forum:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/technical-discussions-en

If you go there someone who builds their own computers will be able to go through your dxdiag and let you know what your options may be.
  • Options
    @Hinu_Kyzah17 Which OS are you running? I can tell you how to find out in Windows 7 but beyond that I'm hopeless.
  • Options
    no idea what os means ?? but im pretty sure its windows 8 ive got plenty of memory left, 🐸🐸🐸🐸 of to say the least as i just spend more money on sims games 2 days ago now i cant even play it ??!!!!
  • Options
    @Hinu_Kyzah17 Sorry about that but the OS is your operating system and if you have Windows 8 that would be it.

The term "memory" is used for a couple of things, though, and why is beyond me because it ends up being very confusing. Memory in computer terms, like laptops or desktops, is the RAM or Random Access Memory. It's where the computer stores things temporarily while it's running. If we're talking about a tablet, then "memory" is used for how much storage space it has (like a tablet with 32GB (gigabytes) of so-called memory means it has 32GB of storage space). In the case of a laptop or desktop computer storage is on the hard-drive.

Sims 3 is a 32-bit game so by default it can only use 2GB of RAM which is really easy to fill up. Once it uses that much RAM it has to move parts of the coding it no longer needs to make room for what it does need and this can cause the game to start lagging. Of course there are other possible causes for lagging too.

Apparently from what I've read the Super Patch has the ability to make the game use more than 2GB of RAM and forces it to use 4GB. If this always works or not I don't know because I've known of at least one person who had to manually set all the executable files in their game to be what's called Large Address Aware. Otherwise the game lagged and lurched and would have periodic crashes to the desktop, and this was with the last update. According to them, the game had previously worked without using Large Address Aware but it had been broken. Now considering this is yet another patch most likely by the same people I wouldn't put it outside of the scope of possibility that it somehow broke again.

I'm thinking a Windows 8 computer probably has at least 4GB of RAM but the only way to know is to find out how to run a diagnostic on your computer. On Windows 7 I just bring up the Start menu and type dxdiag.exe into the Run bar and it brings up a window that tells me all my computer specs.
  • Options
    The reason I asked if you have more than 4GB RAM is that Sims 3 can use 4 GB or RAM and you need more than that to play the game and run the computer. Now you're also running Origin it will be using extra RAM and that would leave you with less resources than you previously had and that would cause all sorts of problems.
  • Options
    thank you @Karritz and @BSIRegina have posted in technical discussions
  • Options
    > @BSIRegina said:
    > Hinu_Kyzah17 Sorry about that but the OS is your operating system and if you have Windows 8 that would be it.
    >
    > The term "memory" is used for a couple of things, though, and why is beyond me because it ends up being very confusing. Memory in computer terms, like laptops or desktops, is the RAM or Random Access Memory. It's where the computer stores things temporarily while it's running. If we're talking about a tablet, then "memory" is used for how much storage space it has (like a tablet with 32GB (gigabytes) of so-called memory means it has 32GB of storage space). In the case of a laptop or desktop computer storage is on the hard-drive.
    >
    > Sims 3 is a 32-bit game so by default it can only use 2GB of RAM which is really easy to fill up. Once it uses that much RAM it has to move parts of the coding it no longer needs to make room for what it does need and this can cause the game to start lagging. Of course there are other possible causes for lagging too.
    >
    > Apparently from what I've read the Super Patch has the ability to make the game use more than 2GB of RAM and forces it to use 4GB. If this always works or not I don't know because I've known of at least one person who had to manually set all the executable files in their game to be what's called Large Address Aware. Otherwise the game lagged and lurched and would have periodic crashes to the desktop, and this was with the last update. According to them, the game had previously worked without using Large Address Aware but it had been broken. Now considering this is yet another patch most likely by the same people I wouldn't put it outside of the scope of possibility that it somehow broke again.
    >
    > I'm thinking a Windows 8 computer probably has at least 4GB of RAM but the only way to know is to find out how to run a diagnostic on your computer. On Windows 7 I just bring up the Start menu and type dxdiag.exe into the Run bar and it brings up a window that tells me all my computer specs.

I ran the dxdiag test and all pages said no problem found ??
  • Options
    There may be no problems - but your computer still may not be able to play the game because you need to have a strong enough computer to do it.

I can give you a link to show you the requirements for a PC but a laptop needs to be stronger than a PC.

The boxes you buy the games in give you minimum requirements. But that is just the minimum requirements needed to open the game. You would need a stronger computer to actually play it. And everything you add to your game you push the requirements higher. Now you've added Origin to the mix and you computer seems to be failing to play the game.

The information in the dxdialog will let someone who knows what they are looking at tell you if your computer will be able to play the game. If it can't then there is little point in continuing to work out what is wrong. If it is good enough to do the job then further investigation may get it going again for you.

Here are a couple of links that may help.
    http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/04/bug-lags-intermittent-free

http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Your_Computer_is_Like_a_Car

This will help if you have a PC
    http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_System_Requirements

This is a link to the Crashing Checklist. Don't follow the instructions to do the DEP thing though as that is no longer necessary and will cause you problems with other programs on your computer.
    http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Sims_3_Crashing_Checklist

I don't know if you are experiencing this particular issue.
    http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2013/06/black-screen-long-loading-times-and-tmp-files-in-dccache.html

This info will help if you don't have a dedicated graphics card. dxdiag would reveal if you do or don't have this issue
    http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Onboard_Graphics

If you have a laptop then you will find out lots of good info in this thread
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/635124/laptop-graphics-card-information-zone-calling-laptop-simmers-for-a-survey-laptop-help-here

I have lots more but this lot should give you some ideas.

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    TS3 has been Large Address Aware (LAA) for Windows users all by itself ever since Patch 1.18, the one that came out alongside LateNite. My ongoing games would implode if they were still restricted to 2 GB of usage. If players are still bumping into that restriction, again on Windows, then they must have a flawed patch job or have tinkered with their operating system settings in some way and broke something.

@Hinu_Kyzah17 - To tell how much total RAM you have, right-click on Computer (either on your Desktop or in your Start Menu, wherever it appears) and look for System Properties.
    https://support.alienskin.com/hc/en-us/articles/200144455-Locating-system-properties-in-Windows

The point of the dxdiag is not to look for problems. The point is to get the report open in Notepad or something similar and copy/paste it into several messages on your Tech Issues post. It takes several messages because it is way too long to fit into one.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    None of us really "own" the game in the first place. We own a license to run it, whether Origin is involved or not. This is clearly explained on pages 47-101 (continued on page 537, but you have to speak Klingon to understand the rest of it) of the EULA you agreed to when you first installed the game. :)

Origin is not a standalone company that can go out of business all by itself. It is a division of EA. If EA were to go out of business or choose to shut Origin down...well, that's another story but presumably (we hope) another company would pick up their assets and keep things going.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    edited November 2015
    igazor wrote: »
    None of us really "own" the game in the first place. We own a license to run it, whether Origin is involved or not. This is clearly explained on pages 47-101 (continued on page 537, but you have to speak Klingon to understand the rest of it) of the EULA you agreed to when you first installed the game. :)

Origin is not a standalone company that can go out of business all by itself. It is a division of EA. If EA were to go out of business or choose to shut Origin down...well, that's another story but presumably (we hope) another company would pick up their assets and keep things going.

Considering the amount of money I put in Sims3 I feel really duped for ever starting this journey. Yes, I signed the terms of agreement originally, not the new one though. Not sure if I will or not. No, I didn't do the download, am lucky enough to have a pre 2012 disk, but, they can change anything at any time and we have no recourse. Another reason I will not buy or sign an agreement for sims4. I've learned my lesson well that EA is not to be trusted and have a lot to account for that they will not. For those of you whose games have been made unplayable by this patch I really feel morally they should give you every penny back that you've spent on it, time and trouble too, but, they won't. All you can hope for is enough stink is made that will make them provide a backwards patch it if that is possible.
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    <snip>

Or at the very least allow every owner of a license for the digital version to download what would essentially be the files from all the discs so they aren't ultimately stuck with no way to install the game on new hardware. I don't think there's much chance of EA going out of business any time soon, though.
  • Options
    BSIRegina wrote: »
    Or at the very least allow every owner of a license for the digital version to download what would essentially be the files from all the discs so they aren't ultimately stuck with no way to install the game on new hardware. I don't think there's much chance of EA going out of business any time soon, though.
    Probably not, but Yahoo could buy them out and then sell it off to AOL who will then merge with Continental Airlines and their partnership with a big cable company who will offload it to Verizon or a drug store chain...no wait, that can't really happen but something like that. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top