Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

does anyone still play S2

Comments

• Options
    klovesjenklovesjen Posts: 361 Member
    I LOVE Sims 2 - I also got the Ultimate Collection added to my Origin account after sending picture of a disk. I bought probably everything they released for Sims 2 but didn't have all the disks anymore. So that was really nice to be able to download it all from origin. I use custom mods, makeup, eyes etc and tons of clutter, furniture etc. I play it often! The Sims 3 won't work right on my current computers, but I am hoping to have another computer I have fixed so I can play it again. Sims 2 and 3 are my favourite. I am hoping Sims 4 will become a favourite too, I am waiting for toddlers. I hope they will change how babies are in Sims 4, also, I don't like that they stay in their bassinet like an object.
  • Options
    klovesjenklovesjen Posts: 361 Member
    You can set the time so it's the same as when you left the other lot using the cheat: type in "setHour" (without quotes) and type in the hour you want. EX. setHour 08 is equal to 8 am

It works best when you have taken everyone from your household to another lot, but could work if you left some sims at home too depending on your preferences

> @JessicaSimston said:
    > I really, really want to go back to TS2, but the only thing stopping me is the way time works, it's like "Leave for the park at 9am, stay until 3pm, get home and it's 9am again." I wish there was a mod to fix it.
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    edited December 2015
    Hi @nanashi-sims

Thanks for all that wonderful info and I can confirm what you have stated above regards still being able to get the ultimate collection is valid.

Earlier this week after only playing Sims 2 a couple of times years ago and losing my original base game disc in a move I grovelled to EA for the UC and they agreed to provide me with it only if I purchased a brand new disc version of the base game with an unused code which I have and once the game arrives I will be able to obtain UC from them.

@jaxie086 I own everything sims 3 including the store and some sims 4 stuff so I wish I had been able to speak to the CS agent you had then I would not have had to buy the base game twice...-)

They did tell me though they will not except a used game code or secondhand purchase copy.

I am dying for the base game to arrive so I can download UC and start to play this series as it a whole unknown new series for me to discover.

I am really pleased to find Sims 2 does have a category on this forum as I had not noticed before-) (too busy with Sims 3)

@JessicaSimston I do believe there is some sort of Mod that resolves the way time works in the Sims 2 game, I did read about it somewhere but cannot find it now.

One thing that is bothering me even before I get my hands on the game so to speak is that I love to play with mods and CC however there are a lot of online complaints that the mods and CC that worked with disc version of the game do not work with the UC version due to file path changes? Has anyone who may play with Mods and CC experienced that at all as eventually after actually learning to play Sims 2 I will want to be adding Mods etc

It all worked downloading as I type, I cant wait to try this game out <3
    Post edited by SPARKY1922 on
  • Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    Hi @nanashi-sims

Thanks for all that wonderful info and I can confirm what you have stated above regards still being able to get the ultimate collection is valid.

Earlier this week after only playing Sims 2 a couple of times years ago and losing my original base game disc in a move I grovelled to EA for the UC and they agreed to provide me with it only if I purchased a brand new disc version of the base game with an unused code which I have and once the game arrives I will be able to obtain UC from them.

They did tell me though they will not except a used game code or secondhand purchase copy.

So @SPARKY1922 it seems used copies will not work then to obtain the UC; It has to be a new game to get the UC. That could be another issue for non-owners since new copies are expensive on par with The Sims 4's $60-$80 price.

The Sims likes to punish you for getting used copies as opposed to getting them new.
    • The Sims websites would not allow you to use the website features (such as The Sims 3 Exchange) due to the requirement to have a registered game which will be impossible if one obtained a used copies. The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 websites are examples. I don't think the current Sim Forums has that requirement, instead opting for a Member & New Member rank rather than registered & non-registered.
    • The Sims 3 Expansions have unique Registration items that are obtainable if the games are registered. Should a Simmer buy a used copy, the code may be already used blocking the Simmer from getting the unique items.
    • Simmers buying used copies of DVD versions may be unable to get a free download version of The Sims 3 or The Sims Medieval.
    • The Sims 4 takes this further by requiring that every copy of The Sims 4 must be activated regardless if you buy it as a DVD or download version. Should you buy a used (or a secondhand) copy of The Sims 4, it will be impossible to play the game since the code will already be used.

Contacting EA to get the UC is the only way for Windows users to get The Sims 2 as Super Collection is only on Mac which most PC users probably don't own.

However, I think the only way for Windows users to currently get The Sims Stories is buying used copies which isn't hard for Life Stories or Pet Stories but Castaway Stories costs about $33+ when brought used. As of 2012, EA no longer sells The Sims Stories but Aspyr has sold The Sims 2 Stories on the Mac App Store. Unfortunately, it won't be re-released on Windows which is unfortunate since EA no longer sells the Windows version anymore.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • Options
    @WinMacSims3,

They told me categorically they would not accept a used code unless I could find my very old copy of the base game and prove it was mine ( that's how I found out they would accept a photo of the disc game with the code as proof of ownership) I would have to provide a new unused code from a new and sealed disc version of the Sims 2 base game to obtain UC.

I was not even aware a new disc version could still be purchased and rushed off to Amazon where I kid you not I managed to purchase the last brand new sealed copy before it became unavailable. I paid around £28 sterling for it but I feel in my case despite buying a copy years ago I was getting a lot back for that for one off price (for a change-) to then receive the whole collection in return as I had never purchased any further expansion or stuff packs for the sims 2 so in all honesty I am pleased with the deal I got and I am enjoying learning and playing this new to me sims series.

I calculated how much it would cost to purchase the whole 2 series brand new/sealed discs including all expansion and stuff packs and gave up when it came to over £260 sterling and that was without the Sims stories which I knew nothing about until I saw your earlier post and when I went back to check I think there were 3 more stories discs at around £70 extra cost in total to purchase those so that is a huge £££ for a new disc complete series 2.

I am not a gamer in the sense I understand all gaming platforms/policies apart from Sims 3 upwards PC game and Xbox 360 & Xbox one and I know I have played many a second hand disc game on the Xbox 360 without any problems but as yet I have not tried anything secondhand on the Xbox one yet so cannot comment. I am not sure if digital purchased Xbox games can be sold on? but the fact is it does not matter really as long as secondhand discs can be purchased and reused.

I do believe if you can purchase used games on other platforms and play with no problem I don't understand EA's position on this matter and as you say sims stories are not available on windows so players with windows who want to play them will be forced to purchase the disc version either new or second hand but I am not sure if used stories discs would work with UC? or even the ones? as I read everywhere that there are file path changes between the discs and UC version of sims 2 so that would probably need checking prior to purchase as well.

• Options
    Dsydk11Dsydk11 Posts: 7 New Member
    I still play Sims2. I tried Sims3 and Sims4, but didn't like either one as much as Sims2. Ebay has all the Sims2 Expansion packs and Stuff Packs really cheap. I got Free Time, University and Bon Voyage for less than $40 total.
  • Options
    sawgrass770sawgrass770 Posts: 258 Member
    Yes, I still play TS2. I liked some innovations TS3 offered but not the sims themselves. I like some things TS4 has, but not the gameplay so far. Have only purchased the base game but it was deeply disappointing and I'll wait until it is more developed and interesting in ways that are meaningful to me.
  • Options
    wrenstaleswrenstales Posts: 777 Member
    I've installed Sims2 as I want to make stories with my sims and build in the sims3
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I'm really glad I got the Ultimate Collection for free!

I love TS2. I don't play it for about 2 or so months though :p
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    SimseasedSimseased Posts: 5 New Member
    edited December 2015
    Of course I do! I've being playing it for the past year and I'm having a blast. The Sims 4 made me appreciate it more. I just hate how The Sims 4 has zero family-style gameplay to it and don't get me started on toddlers.

I had the disk originally but overtime it became scratched up so I downloaded the Ultimate Collection when EA game it away for free. And you would be shocked at how much custom content is *still* being made for it and it's actually high quality content then The Sims 3/4. :)

I would post a photo of my sim but I don't seem to have that option yet..
  • Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    I am not a gamer in the sense I understand all gaming platforms/policies apart from Sims 3 upwards PC game and Xbox 360 & Xbox one and I know I have played many a second hand disc game on the Xbox 360 without any problems but as yet I have not tried anything secondhand on the Xbox one yet so cannot comment. I am not sure if digital purchased Xbox games can be sold on? but the fact is it does not matter really as long as secondhand discs can be purchased and reused.

I do believe if you can purchase used games on other platforms and play with no problem I don't understand EA's position on this matter and as you say sims stories are not available on windows so players with windows who want to play them will be forced to purchase the disc version either new or second hand but I am not sure if used stories discs would work with UC? or even the ones? as I read everywhere that there are file path changes between the discs and UC version of sims 2 so that would probably need checking prior to purchase as well.

I forgot to mention that The Sims 3 on PS3/Xbox 360 has used an online pass to use the Exchange, still better than what you had to do with Mac and PC considering that The Sims 3 copies were expensive at the time. However, EA removed the payment requirement so games with online passes are now free. Consoles are more forgiving with secondhand and used copies but PCs are not, most PC games require Steam, Origin (for EA games), or U-play (for Ubisoft games) and going retail doesn't save you from that requirement either. Regarding Origin, I don't have problems with it but being forced to run it when playing The Sims 3 (1.69), The Sims Medieval (Origin download), or The Sims 4 could cause issues where they want to install it on more than 1 computer for friends and families to play since 2 computers can't be signed in with the same Origin account. The Sims 2 UC seems to be exempt from the Origin sign-in requirement unlike the other 3 Sims games.

Regarding The Sims Stories, only Life and Castaway Stories have been re-released. There's no mention of Pet Stories. I checked the Amazon UK and prices of The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories and prices seem decent. As with the U.S. store, used copies of the games are cheap. However, I've noticed (at least in the U.S. Amazon store) that the Mac versions are cheaper than the Windows versions. I'm probably guessing due to most Simmers having Windows PCs, most would buy the Windows versions.

The Sims 2 games (if brought new) also seem to be more expensive than The Sims Stories games, I'm probably guessing The Sims Stories isn't in high demand as Sims 2 games are. Another assumption is The Sims 2 disc versions were discontinued around 2011 so EA only sold download versions of The Sims 2 until July 2013. Another reason is that EA stopped selling Sims 2 as of July 2013 so users who didn't buy The Sims 2 games off of Origin will have to look to Amazon to get the disc versions. Especially since EA doesn't have The Sims 2 for sale as of December 2015 while the Mac version was sold, led to high demand of the Windows versions of The Sims 2 thus probably increasing prices. This probably is true with The Sims Stories as well.

I'm positive you can't activate The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories games to get a free download version. I think Origin only accepts The Sims 3, The Sims Medieval, and The Sims 4 product codes.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • Options
    emsanqemsanq Posts: 13 New Member
    I love The Sims 2.
    Sold mine off when Sims 3 came out, but then obtained all the expansion packs and stuff again via some flea markets and stuff.
    I love the humour, and how everything has consequences.
    Currently making a medieval town, with medieval houses and sims and careers and everything, and it is so much fun. I made a priest and his church, but also a tithe barn. About to build a small outkeep for a noble to live in to collect taxes.
    Figured out how to get the families working with the kids helping out on the farm despite school.
    It's just so much fun :)
  • Options
    emsanq wrote: »
    I love The Sims 2.
    Sold mine off when Sims 3 came out, but then obtained all the expansion packs and stuff again via some flea markets and stuff.
    I love the humour, and how everything has consequences.
    Currently making a medieval town, with medieval houses and sims and careers and everything, and it is so much fun. I made a priest and his church, but also a tithe barn. About to build a small outkeep for a noble to live in to collect taxes.
    Figured out how to get the families working with the kids helping out on the farm despite school.
    It's just so much fun :)

I am pleased you are enjoying it again, when I read how much you are doing with the game already I am like OMG a Sims 2 veteran while I struggle to get used to it LOL
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    Simseased wrote: »
    Of course I do! I've being playing it for the past year and I'm having a blast. The Sims 4 made me appreciate it more. I just hate how The Sims 4 has zero family-style gameplay to it and don't get me started on toddlers.

I had the disk originally but overtime it became scratched up so I downloaded the Ultimate Collection when EA game it away for free. And you would be shocked at how much custom content is *still* being made for it and it's actually high quality content then The Sims 3/4. :)

I would post a photo of my sim but I don't seem to have that option yet..

I hope they give it away for free again, I'm missing some eps.
  • Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,906 Member
    I still play it. As a matter of fact, I might play it a little today. (not for 9 hours straight though like I did 2 months ago, causing my computer to wig out on me lol)
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited December 2015
    I played for 6 hours last night. Now that I've got the game to recognise my new graphics card, the game looks great!

It's just a shame I was so busy admiring how pretty everything looked that my legacy founder died of starvation in the bathroom. Whoops!
  • Options
    ddutoitddutoit Posts: 147 Member
    Sims 2 was "given away" on Origin - I am terrified of that massive download though. It does look cute ;)
    ❤️✿ I have a speech impediment ... my foot ✿❤️
    http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/ddutoit
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    I do.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    are they still giving it away??
  • Options
    are they still giving it away??

I got it on 7th December but as I had lost my base game years ago in a move they told me if I purchased a brand new unopened base game with a code that had never been used they would provide me with the whole series, so that's what I did and when the physical copy arrived I went back onto EA chat and within minutes it was added to my library.

It does not appear to work for everyone especially if trying to gain the collection with secondhand copy of the games where the codes have already been used.

I have been playing every day since I downloaded it and find it really enjoyable but am finding it more challenging than I remember Sims 3 being ( probably wishful thinking on my part-)

I would advise anyone to continue to keep trying if they want it because its obviously still being made available.

In my case although I ended up purchasing the base game twice as I had never purchased any further expansion or stuff packs in the series I thought what I received in return was extremely fair and I really appreciate having a whole new series of sims to play I have not really experienced before. :)
  • Options
    KateTheLarkKateTheLark Posts: 55 Member
    I totally do!! I just got into it a few months ago, so I'm still discovering many fun new things! I
    love the wants and fears, the interactions, basically everything! Everything seemed so thought out, unlike sims 3 at times. It's great!!
  • Options
    GodlikeGodlike Posts: 305 Member
    Some reps still give TS2 out from what I read on these forums.

As for the question: Yes! It's the only Sims game I still play religiously and TS1 as a close second :)
    Lift me up - Let me go
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    As of yesturday I made my full time return to The Sims 2 and so far I'm loving it. I love the little details to the big stuff that I feel like I'm still discovering. I reached level five in the cruisine hobby enthusiam for the first time leading me to reach the secret hobby lot where a candy machine can be used! I never been to this place before and it's so cool. Family interactions, toddlers, grocery shopping, clothes shopping, fully functional restaurants, what's not to like?
  • Options
    dest01dest01 Posts: 283 Member
    edited December 2015
    [quote="PotterheadSim;14116218"]I would love to play TS2 again, but I can't find it anywhere. :([/quote]

Contact origin/EA customer care I asked the rep where to find it and he gave me the ultimate collection free since ea retired it :smile:
    Happy siming! XD
  • Options
    dest01dest01 Posts: 283 Member
    [quote="Dsydk11;14377527"]I still play Sims2. I tried Sims3 and Sims4, but didn't like either one as much as Sims2. Ebay has all the Sims2 Expansion packs and Stuff Packs really cheap. I got Free Time, University and Bon Voyage for less than $40 total.[/quote]
    Contact Origin/EA customer care I asked the rep were to find it and he gave me the ultimate collection free since it was retired by origin
    Happy Siming! XD