March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Forum Suggestions and Requests

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
edited September 2015 in Forum Ideas & Feedback
@SimGuruDrake

Since you asked. . .

1. Better search features:

a. Way to search for SimGuru* as an author, so we don’t have to enter each SimGuru name individually, especially if we can’t remember who said something.

b. Ability to search specific threads. Some threads are dozens or even hundreds of pages long. It would be nice to be able to specify a specific thread to search. Right now, if, for example, I search for “baby” in the “Simulation Tech Talk” thread, it returns no results. However, there are multiple instances where “baby” is mentioned like here, here, and here.

c. Way to search just for posts with images.

2. Way to ‘trash’ threads. Right now, there seem to be many people who are irritated by certain topics or discussions. It would be nice if they could dismiss, hide, or ‘trash’ an irksome thread or two rather than having to resort to putting people on ignore.

3. Way to ‘trash’ posts. Same as above. It would just be a personal ‘hide’ feature.

4. Working spoiler tags. Despite an earlier suggestion you made to me to use them :), they have never been enabled for regular users despite requests.

5. Marked Reactions. It would be nice if the reaction were highlighted or changed color once we reacted to it so we don’t have to keep clicking and unclicking buttons to check to see if/how we’ve already reacted to a post.

6. Create a Sim-Related Contests and Games section. Sim-related games, contests, activities, discussions, etc. don’t belong in Off-Topic, which really should be non-Sims related topics. Topics relating to The Sims are on-topic and shouldn’t get dumped into a topic free-for-all. In fact, some of them should be highlighted (perhaps using the promote feature?) as game-related activity.

7. Add a welcome message with new member information that is linked to in the Welcome Aboard! notification. Example. Or, create a Getting Started sticky that links to the new member threads that everyone keeps asking about – new members, introductions thread, posting images, forum tutorial, etc. Then either link to that with the Welcome Aboard message, or create a separate notification that goes to new registrants with a link to that.

8. Some more background options. @Nefje suggested some nice ones earlier that might be worth revisiting.

9. An option to be notified when someone quotes us. Right now we can opt to be notified if someone tags us with @username, but people often respond by simply hitting the quote button and replying.

10. Notification of sub-comments (replies) on walls. It’s currently an option under preferences and was working before the switch to the Activity Wall bump system. It would be nice if it were re-enabled.

11. Notifications when people reply to your comments on other people's walls.

12. Reaction buttons for sub-comments on walls. Is there a reason why they don’t have reactions?

13. Ability to delete some of the system generated notices like “you changed your profile picture”. Many people make multiple attempts at this trying to get the right avatar. It seems silly to have this permanently clogging up a page if it’s not wanted.

14. Ability to hide certain posts or hide certain users' posts from the Activity Feed.

15. Since The Gallery is now online, a link on our profile pages to our Gallery pages.

16. Enable polls for users. Mods and Gurus have been using polls, but despite a number of requests, they are still not enabled for regular members. Some of us would like to use this feature as well.

17. Fix the list function.

This code:
[list=1]
    [*]Outer ordered list point one.
      [list=a]
        [*]the first thing. . .
        [*]the second thing. . .
      [/list]
    [*]Outer ordered list point two.
    [*]Outer ordered list point three.
  [/list]

Produces this:
  1. Outer ordered list point one.
    1. the first thing. . .
    2. the second thing. . .
  2. Outer ordered list point two.
  3. Outer ordered list point three.

When it should produce this:
    1.	Outer ordered list point one. 
        a. the first thing. . .
        b. the second thing. . .
    2.	Outer ordered list point two.
    3.	Outer ordered list point three.

Also, because I can't use list=a, I tried using just list and hand lettering the lists, but this causes the list tags 'break' when URL's are included in the tags. For example:
    a.Here are the
forum rules.
b.the second thing. . .

18. Revisit the ideas put forth in the Calming the Storms thread, which has never had a Guru update despite the promise to.

19. Revisit the idea of Wall Customization.

I'm editing to add more to the original list. I will continue to do so as I remember more.

20. Please add the ability to format sub-comments/replies on the Activity Feed. Right now, links are not automatically formatted to be clickable and italics and other BBC formatting do not work.

21. I'd also like to see a count of points given on the profile page. Total number of Likes, LOLs, and number of Zagadoos given. There are a some people who are not as vocal, but I only discovered when we could see this info, like @despina53.

22. If the Activity Feed stays or we get some version of Personal Pages, can we get the ability to edit our posts, not just delete them?
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    edited September 2015
    Great ideas :)

Though I'm not crazy about 21. I see that ending badly.
    Post edited by Ponder the Sim on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    Thanks. :)

Also, is there a reason formatting is disabled and we can't post images in the replies to comments on the Activity pages?
  • 23kels8923kels89 Posts: 804 Member
    I love your suggestions and ideas!!
    I was just wondering the same thing (9, 10, and 11)... WHY can't we get notifications?! I hate having to find the threads to see if there was a response, or revisiting the thread some days later and come to find that someone quoted/responded to your post.
    I surely hope your thread is considered. Like... today, maybe? :wink:

Find me on the Sims 3
    Find me on Origin

23kels89 wrote: »
    I love your suggestions and ideas!!
    I was just wondering the same thing (9, 10, and 11)... WHY can't we get notifications?! I hate having to find the threads to see if there was a response, or revisiting the thread some days later and come to find that someone quoted/responded to your post.
    I surely hope your thread is considered. Like... today, maybe? :wink:

I'd love an answer, too, but my posts don't seem to get a response the way some others do, especially not from the Gurus.

Anyway, I'd also like to see a count of points given on the profile page. Total number of Likes, LOLs, and number of Zagadoos given. There are a some people who are not as vocal, but I only discovered when we could see this info, like @despina53.
  • SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    Oh boy there is a lot to answer here so bear with me!

a. Way to search for SimGuru* as an author, so we don’t have to enter each SimGuru name individually, especially if we can’t remember who said something.

b. Ability to search specific threads. Some threads are dozens or even hundreds of pages long. It would be nice to be able to specify a specific thread to search. Right now, if, for example, I search for “baby” in the “Simulation Tech Talk” thread, it returns no results. However, there are multiple instances where “baby” is mentioned like here, here, and here.

This is something I am working hard on as I do believe our search features are currently lacking.
    2. Way to ‘trash’ threads. Right now, there seem to be many people who are irritated by certain topics or discussions. It would be nice if they could dismiss, hide, or ‘trash’ an irksome thread or two rather than having to resort to putting people on ignore.

3. Way to ‘trash’ posts. Same as above. It would just be a personal ‘hide’ feature.

I can definitely look into this as it has been requested by other users as well.
    4. Working spoiler tags. Despite an earlier suggestion you made to me to use them :), they have never been enabled for regular users despite requests.

I am still working on this.
    5. Marked Reactions. It would be nice if the reaction were highlighted or changed color once we reacted to it so we don’t have to keep clicking and unclicking buttons to check to see if/how we’ve already reacted to a post.

I like this!
    6. Create a Sim-Related Contests and Games section. Sim-related games, contests, activities, discussions, etc. don’t belong in Off-Topic, which really should be non-Sims related topics. Topics relating to The Sims are on-topic and shouldn’t get dumped into a topic free-for-all. In fact, some of them should be highlighted (perhaps using the promote feature?) as game-related activity.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by this? Do you refer to contests / challenges created by the community?
    7. Add a welcome message with new member information that is linked to in the Welcome Aboard! notification. Example. Or, create a Getting Started sticky that links to the new member threads that everyone keeps asking about – new members, introductions thread, posting images, forum tutorial, etc. Then either link to that with the Welcome Aboard message, or create a separate notification that goes to new registrants with a link to that.

I am in the process of doing this as I want to have a notification that appears at the top for new users pointing them to new member related items (like the ones you've already mentioned.)
    8. Some more background options. @Nefje suggested some nice ones earlier that might be worth revisiting.

Thank you for this! I've noticed an interest in color / background options as of late so this is really helpful.
    9. An option to be notified when someone quotes us. Right now we can opt to be notified if someone tags us with @username, but people often respond by simply hitting the quote button and replying.

Not sure if this is something I can just turn on or if it will be something we have to code in but I will take a look.
    10. Notification of sub-comments (replies) on walls. It’s currently an option under preferences and was working before the switch to the Activity Wall bump system. It would be nice if it were re-enabled.

I will look into this as I am looking at revamping the bump system for the activity wall.

I wasn't aware this wasn't a thing already! Good to know and I will add it to my list.
    12. Reaction buttons for sub-comments on walls. Is there a reason why they don’t have reactions?

I am not entirely sure but I don't believe it was an option, though do people want to have the reaction buttons on their wall posts anyway?
    13. Ability to delete some of the system generated notices like “you changed your profile picture”. Many people make multiple attempts at this trying to get the right avatar. It seems silly to have this permanently clogging up a page if it’s not wanted.

This is currently on my list as it is a popular request.
    14. Ability to hide certain posts or hide certain users' posts from the Activity Feed.

Are you wanting an expanded ignore feature or just to not receive updates from a particular user only on the activity feed?
    15. Since The Gallery is now online, a link on our profile pages to our Gallery pages.

I believe I can add a section into your profiles for this, will take a look.
    16. Enable polls for users. Mods and Gurus have been using polls, but despite a number of requests, they are still not enabled for regular members. Some of us would like to use this feature as well.

I am aware this is a popular request and am looking into determining the extent I would implement this (should it be enabled into all sections or just certain sections in the forums that would benefit from this? i.e. feedback sections)

This code:
    [list=1]
          [list=a]
            [*]the first thing. . .
            [*]the second thing. . .
          [/list]
      [/list]

Produces this:
      1. the first thing. . .
      2. the second thing. . .

a. the first thing. . .
            b. the second thing. . .

Also, because I can't use list=a, I tried using just list and hand lettering the lists, but this causes the list tags 'break' when URL's are included in the tags. For example:
      a.Here are the
    forum rules.
    b.the second thing. . .

Essentially an update to the markdown is what you are asking for, correct?
    18. Revisit the ideas put forth in the Calming the Storms thread, which has never had a Guru update despite the promise to.

I don't believe anyone has linked me this before, I will take a look through that thread to get caught up and provide what feedback I can.

Very interesting suggestions, I will see about what the possibilities are for customizations.
    20. Please add the ability to format sub-comments/replies on the Activity Feed. Right now, links are not automatically formatted to be clickable and italics and other BBC formatting do not work.

Already on the list since the ability to post links in this scenario would be really beneficial for new players reaching out on the activity page.
    21. I'd also like to see a count of points given on the profile page. Total number of Likes, LOLs, and number of Zagadoos given. There are a some people who are not as vocal, but I only discovered when we could see this info, like @despina53.

So you mean see how many times you've given a LOL, Like, etc?
    22. If the Activity Feed stays or we get some version of Personal Pages, can we get the ability to edit our posts, not just delete them?

This I can look into. As for personal pages you mean where people can't see unless you've allowed them to? (i.e. only people on your friends list could view)
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims

@SimGuruDrake, thank you for answering. I really wasn’t expecting one as most of these issues are things I’ve brought up before here and elsewhere, which never received a reply.

My responses are in red below.
    Oh boy there is a lot to answer here so bear with me!

This is something I am working hard on as I do believe our search features are currently lacking.

Great. :+1:

I can definitely look into this as it has been requested by other users as well.

Yes, many of these suggestions are not new, they simply haven't been addressed previously. :)

I am still working on this.

:+1:

I like this!

Could you elaborate on what you mean by this? Do you refer to contests / challenges created by the community?

What I guess I’m really requesting here is the creation of two sections. One is a Games and Contests section which could include both those items created by the Community as well as those that were created by The Sims team as @Cinebar suggested, as well.

Right now, there are or have been some poetry contests, word association games, you as a Sim, personality tests, and other types of contests and games being shoved into Off-Topic because there isn’t a home for them. For that matter, it might also be a good place to house ‘Challenges’.

In Sims 3, there also used to be some contests—building and footprint, beauty, “pimp my game”, etc -- going on to win DLC from the store. It would be nice if Maxis/EA worked to get something like that going again for Sims 4. Without the store, there has been less incentive to create these contests. On your end, perhaps you could get some system going where people could win ‘forum prizes’ – wallpapers, badges, etc. This type of section would be a good place to put some of your teams’ gamification ideas into practice.

Additionally, a Miscellaneous Sims section for topics that span Sims 1 through 5 and beyond would be good. There are lots of Sims related topics that don’t fit neatly into one of the current categories such as comparisons of games, Sims applications, and other general Sims-related topics.

I am in the process of doing this as I want to have a notification that appears at the top for new users pointing them to new member related items (like the ones you've already mentioned.)

Thank you for this! I've noticed an interest in color / background options as of late so this is really helpful.

Not sure if this is something I can just turn on or if it will be something we have to code in but I will take a look.

This would be a very useful feature even if it requires coding.

I will look into this as I am looking at revamping the bump system for the activity wall.

I wasn't aware this wasn't a thing already! Good to know and I will add it to my list.

I am not entirely sure but I don't believe it was an option, though do people want to have the reaction buttons on their wall posts anyway?

Why not? If they are on the OP, why not on the reply to the post? That's how everything else works around here.

This is currently on my list as it is a popular request.

Are you wanting an expanded ignore feature or just to not receive updates from a particular user only on the activity feed?

I, personally, don't have anyone on ignore because I feel that everyone has something of value to contribute some of the time. So, adding these features to ignore (as some have suggested) wouldn't do anything for me. It would be nice to be able just to hide posts or ignore a users' "activity" without having to resort to ignoring them completely.

I believe I can add a section into your profiles for this, will take a look.

I am aware this is a popular request and am looking into determining the extent I would implement this (should it be enabled into all sections or just certain sections in the forums that would benefit from this? i.e. feedback sections)

If there is a reason to restrict it to certain forum topics (such as the feature hogging resources), then I would suggest adding it just to General Discussion (for Sims 3 and 4), Game Feedback, Forum Feedback, Off-Topic, and a Miscellaneous Sims topic if it should be added.

This code:
    [list=1]
          [list=a]
            [*]the first thing. . .
            [*]the second thing. . .
          [/list]
      [/list]

Produces this:
      1. the first thing. . .
      2. the second thing. . .

a. the first thing. . .
            b. the second thing. . .

a.Here are the
    forum rules.
    b.the second thing. . .

Essentially an update to the markdown is what you are asking for, correct?

Yes.

I don't believe anyone has linked me this before, I will take a look through that thread to get caught up and provide what feedback I can.

I've tagged you in that thread asking for updates. I thought you got it since you did pin the Intro thread shortly after that. (Thanks for that. :) )

Very interesting suggestions, I will see about what the possibilities are for customizations.

Already on the list since the ability to post links in this scenario would be really beneficial for new players reaching out on the activity page.

So you mean see how many times you've given a LOL, Like, etc?

Yes.

This I can look into. As for personal pages you mean where people can't see unless you've allowed them to? (i.e. only people on your friends list could view)

Yes, if that is the system you are moving toward.

• greenXengreenXen Posts: 1,227 Member
    23. Also, could you fix it so that the header on the profile page takes formatting (BBC, links, and pictures), too? Right now, although it's clear in the OP, you literally have a sentence at the top of your page that starts: "Arguments of any kind I love . . ." Formatting counts.

30rmf4n.jpg
    You're probably already aware of it, but the activity feed 'eats' certain comments. Sometimes, when you post the comment just disappears instead of posting, posts then disappears, posts only half the comment, or posts a completely blank comment. One astute member pointed out to me that it seems to happen often when posting emoticons or using symbols like < 3 or <---. For example:

zt9fsx.jpg
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    GreenXen wrote: »
    You're probably already aware of it, but the activity feed 'eats' certain comments. Sometimes, when you post the comment just disappears instead of posting, posts then disappears, posts only half the comment, or posts a completely blank comment. One astute member pointed out to me that it seems to happen often when posting emoticons or using symbols like < 3 or <---. For example:

zt9fsx.jpg
    I hate that too. It happens all the time when I want to <3 a comment which I still do a lot.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,615 Member
    yeah, you can't do that angle mark and a three thing :(
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    edited October 2015
    I forgot to thank you, @SimGuruDrake, for re-enabling the notifications for sub-comments/replies on Activity wall posts.

Post edited by greenXen on
    I forgot to thank you, @SimGuruDrake for re-enabling the notifications for sub-comments/replies on Activity wall posts.

Ooh she did fix it. Yes thank you. I can go to my page without it trying to sign me out.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    The forum is sending loads of comments to moderation. I keep having to post things two or three times. This didn't used to be a problem for me.
  • SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    The forum is sending loads of comments to moderation. I keep having to post things two or three times. This didn't used to be a problem for me.

This has been fixed. You potentially triggered the spam queue by posting too much in a short period of time.
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
    edited October 2015

This has been fixed. You potentially triggered the spam queue by posting too much in a short period of time.

I think there is still a problem. Please take a look at what just happened with my posts and "Unkown" user at the end of this thread: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/778800/how-do-you-post-pictures-in-the-forum#latest

Also, the glitch before wasn't from posting too frequently because it was usually a bigger problem when taking a while to type out a long response.
    greenXen wrote: »
    I heard these were enabled?

Woot! It works.
    What we have spoilers now? Cool! <3 I love spoilers.
    It would be nice if we could start lists at any number instead of just list=1. That way my bug list, for example, could stretch over multiple posts more easily. Right now I have to manually number everything.