Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[WEB SITE] Questions about the boards

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
edited October 2014 in Forum Ideas & Feedback
Dear Web Team,

Thanks for the work you’ve done so far in addressing various web site issues. I’m sure you are still working on some issues as site maintenance is always an on-going process, but I would like to reiterate some items that may have been forgotten or overlooked.

1. Could you make it so there is an option to notify us when someone quotes us? This is one of the most frequently used forms of direct communication, yet posts can often go unnoticed because there is no notification.
2. Is it possible to get a notification for sub-comments on wall postings instead of just for the initial comment?
3. Can we get a “poll” option? Conducting polls via manual counts is tedious.
4. Is there an option to count likes given? Some of the most generous people on the boards are the quietest.
5. Also, does who attributed the “likes” and “lols” still need to be hidden since the flag and disagree were removed?
6. What does “promote” mean and why can we see this on our walls? I see Gurus with 1 and others with 0. I see mods and “pseudo-mods” with zero. I see regular forum users mostly with zero, but also 1 and 2.
7. What do the visits mean? I have 2. This doesn’t correspond to the number of times I’ve visited the site, my page, or logged in and out of the boards. It also doesn’t correspond to the number of people who have visited my page.
8. Some people seem to be “ghosting”. I can’t see their avatars, post counts, or member statuses. It’s a small number, maybe a dozen or so members, but their info looks like this:
dy38uu.jpg
I use Firefox. I’ve tried clearing my cache again, but the problem remains. I’m not sure if it’s on my end still or yours.
9. The “Best Of” page is still messed up and not very usable right now because of nested quotations. Perhaps folding the nesting up in some way or limiting how much nesting it shows would help.
2ak0bro.jpg
10. Spoiler tags still don’t seem to work. You can use them, but then you can’t click on them to actually view what’s in the spoilers.
See what I mean?
11. If the private messaging system isn’t returning, would you at least consider re-creating a ‘friends’ system. Ideally, it would allow you to set the privacy level of your wall/page. But, if the privacy settings pose a problem with site conduct, could you at least make it so that we could identify friends and opt-in to getting notifications when they update their walls?

Thanks in advance for your attention to these matters.

Edited to add: Since we've had lots of good feedback and information from various SimGurus, could you also adjust the search feature so we can search for "All SimGuru responses"? Right now, I have to add in a dozen SimGuru handles individually, and that still doesn't cover them all.

10/20 -- The list tags are not working properly.

1. Using the list=a tags for ordered lists gives me numbers instead of letters. For example:
  [list=a]
    [*]the first thing. . .
    [*]the second thing. . .
  [/list]

produces
  1. the first thing. . .
  2. the second thing. . .

This is particularly a problem when trying to use nested lists. This code:
  [list=1]
    [*]Outer ordered list point one.
      [list=a]
        [*]the first thing. . .
        [*]the second thing. . .
      [/list]
    [*]Outer ordered list point two.
    [*]Outer ordered list point three.
  [/list]

Produces this:
  1. Outer ordered list point one.
    1. the first thing. . .
    2. the second thing. . .
  2. Outer ordered list point two.
  3. Outer ordered list point three.

Instead of this:
       a. the first thing. . . 
       b. the second thing. . .

Also, because I can't use list=a, I tried using just list and hand lettering the lists, but this causes the list tags 'break' when URL's are included in the tags. For example:
    a.Here are the
forum rules.
b.the second thing. . .

Sorry if my explanations of this aren't clear. Obviously, I don't do any programming, but using BBC code should be easy for everyone. :)

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• Options
    Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Visits is based on how many times the user logged in. If you stay logged in, you will not have many visits.
  • Options
    SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    greenXen wrote: »
    1. Could you make it so there is an option to notify us when someone quotes us? This is one of the most frequently used forms of direct communication, yet posts can often go unnoticed because there is no notification.

Put an @ symbol before the persons name and they will be notified. Like this @greenXen

Ideally the BBS should do it automatically, but it doesn't, so... Maybe it is so we can talk behind each others' backs ;-)

• Options
    edited October 2014
    @Shadoza2, thanks, but no, not for me. I've logged in and out several times and only got my second visit last night.

@Schweighsr, thanks. I'm aware of that, and do use tagging. It still would be nice to have an alert when quoted since people seem to quote *or* tag instead of doing both.
  • Options
    10/20 -- The list tags are not working properly.

1. Using the list=a tags for ordered lists gives me numbers instead of letters. For example:
      [list=a]
        [*]the first thing. . .
        [*]the second thing. . .
      [/list]

Produces:
    1. the first thing. . .
    2. the second thing. . .

This is particularly a problem when trying to use nested lists. This code:
      [list=1]
        [*]Outer ordered list point one.
          [list=a]
            [*]the first thing. . .
            [*]the second thing. . .
          [/list]
        [*]Outer ordered list point two.
        [*]Outer ordered list point three.
      [/list]

Produces this:
      1. the first thing. . .
      2. the second thing. . .

Instead of this:
           a. the first thing. . . 
           b. the second thing. . .

Also, because I can't use list=a, I tried using just list and hand lettering the lists, but this causes the list tags 'break' when URL's are included in the tags. For example:
      a.Here are the
    forum rules.
    b.the second thing. . .

Sorry if my explanations of this aren't clear. Obviously, I don't do any programming, but using BBC code should be easy for everyone. :)
  • Options
    Adventure4U1Adventure4U1 Posts: 239 Member
    edited October 2014
    The member thing is messed up. I have 185 posts and I'm considered a new member. I can't post links to my stories, which really bothers me.
    Life is an Adventure
    Not a movie
  • Options
    @Adventure4U1, the membership is actually working the way they designed it. We had some big trouble with trolls flooding the boards with p.orn and just plain nasty images, as well as more usual troll behavior. One of the requirements is you need 50 pts total from 'likes' or participation (like customizing your avatar). It looks like you still only have 34 pts. More info for new members here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/770609/member-or-new-member-everything-you-need-to-know-updated-information-about-signatures/p1
  • Options
    As much as I like the open forums, after yet again another flooding of the boards with child p.orn, I have to say you need to do more to screen new members.

1. There needs to be 24-hr moderation. If it is as before an moderators are largely volunteers, I don't see where the obstacle is to this.
    2. There should be moderator approval for new members. The screen names alone are enough to sniff out some of these accounts.
    3. Avatars should not be allowed to be set until users achieve full member status.
    4. These creeps need to be IP banned.
    5. Even after banning, their avatars show up on the activities pages. The avatars of those banned need to be hidden as well.
    6. These creeps need to be reported to the authorities. This is not a game. This is patently illegal and highly immoral activity with serious consequences for the children depicted, the children (and adults) on this forum who witness it, and the witnesses who wind up with traces of child 🐸🐸🐸🐸 in their browser histories.

This has got to stop.

This goes for EA Help, too. They are difficult to reach and unresponsive even to offenses as serious as this. Ignoring it won't make it go away.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    greenXen wrote: »
    As much as I like the open forums, after yet again another flooding of the boards with child p.orn, I have to say you need to do more to screen new members.

1. There needs to be 24-hr moderation. If it is as before an moderators are largely volunteers, I don't see where the obstacle is to this.
    2. There should be moderator approval for new members. The screen names alone are enough to sniff out some of these accounts.
    3. Avatars should not be allowed to be set until users achieve full member status.
    4. These creeps need to be IP banned.
    5. Even after banning, their avatars show up on the activities pages. The avatars of those banned need to be hidden as well.
    6. These creeps need to be reported to the authorities. This is not a game. This is patently illegal and highly immoral activity with serious consequences for the children depicted, the children (and adults) on this forum who witness it, and the witnesses who wind up with traces of child 🐸🐸🐸🐸 in their browser histories.

This has got to stop.

This goes for EA Help, too. They are difficult to reach and unresponsive even to offenses as serious as this. Ignoring it won't make it go away.

I agree. I'm not sure if #4 is actually possible, I've read it's not but I'm not sure? But I agree something has to be done. It's sickening to be subjected to such images when one is just innocently hopping through threads in search of information/conversation, and then suddenly, BAM! there is that filth and your mind cannot unsee. :(
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited October 2014
    IP banning only works on people who can't use the internet to find out how to get around it.
    Staff said days ago that they are working with authorities. But it takes time and sufficient evidence for warrants and convictions for authorities to finish their work.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    @Luthienrising, I suggested IP banning as one of several measures to take. I realize that static IPs aren’t the usual anymore and they can be changed, but they still exist and not all of the offenders are as tech savvy as they are given credit for (some are, not all).

The excuse that EA is working on it, but it takes time as an answer is no longer believable. This issue did not just arise last night and EA is a company with money, programmers, and experience in running forums. While many forums run into some trouble with abuse, it is rampant here. EA and Maxis have taken some measures to thwart the offenders by instituting a requirement that posters have 50 pts before they can post images or links, but it’s obviously not enough.

Edit: I detail below some of my frustrations with EA and Maxis and dealing with this issue. It's directed at EA, not you, but it does explain a little how from my perspective the 'it takes time' mantra grows weaker every time it is uttered.
  • Options
    Overall, I cannot say I see strong evidence that they take the matter seriously. I’m not sure EA or Maxis is really aware of how poor their report system is or how they are coming across to customers. For example:

On August 15, after we had already had several incidences of p.orn spamming the boards for hours at a time despite many reports via the flag button and topical threads, I contacted EA chat regarding the issue to request that a forum moderator be contacted immediately or that someone at EA Help address the issue immediately as it was not something that could wait. They offered to file a report for me, which promised someone would get back to me in a couple of days. I declined to file the report, but again requested that they get someone on the problem STAT.

The next day, the forum abuser was still posting. I looked around for help and couldn’t find a way to directly contact anyone. The moderators were hidden (instead of being visibly listed). I went to EA Help again, but they had instituted a bogus “help” page that has no option to report forum problems. What’s worse, I tried following the pages through their questions for several different help options and got stuck in a loop, so I couldn’t actually contact EA Help that night. I looked for an e-mail or phone number. I couldn’t find any phone numbers and most of the e-mail contacts listed on the web took me back to the Help page, which I couldn’t get to work properly. The exception to this was the privacy_policy@ea.com address. I e-mailed them the following:
    There is a serious problem with rampant 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and hate messages on your Sims 4 website currently. I understand that The Sims web team is working on it, but as it has gone on for some time and we have been spammed with what seems like hundreds of graphic images over the last few days, it seems that additional help or resources may be required to take care of this problem.

It currently takes hours for the moderation team to respond to some of the reports. Further, the flag system for reporting 🐸🐸🐸🐸 is being abused by some and may be impeding the process of identifying actual TOS violations.

I will not send you samples of the kinds of images that are being posted, but please believe me when I report that they are graphic enough to be upsetting to many, and horrific to some children.

Please know that many are counting on you to rectify the situation immediately.

Thank you.

To this day, I have not received a response to that e-mail.

After that, I went on EA Help forums to find out what could be done about the forum abuse and how to contact EA Help, and was told there was nothing they could do, just keep reporting. At this point, over 1,000 reports of abuse had been made. Obviously, just hitting the report button was not a viable option. So, I slunk back into my corner and waited. The p.orn spamming went on for many more hours before someone finally banned the users and deleted the images.

The abuse continued and a number of smaller incidences of hate speech and harassment occurred, but I reported those quietly and held my tongue, giving EA and Maxis time to address the problem.

August 25, a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 p.orn spammer appears for hours. Again, no sign of a moderator and no way to contact anyone. I decide to file a report this time:
    Dear EA,

I am writing to you again because The Sims 4 forums continue to be figuratively inundated with crap. Below are just of a few of the many images that have been spammed across the boards for hours.

The "report" option has been disabled on the forums for a couple of days, and there is little sign of moderation. This particular user ( http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/profile/3217149/cowpIant ) has already acquired over 1.5K flags for abuse over the course of the last several hours, yet there is no response and no other mode of reporting forum abusers.

Please know that we continue to look to you for help to rectify the situation.

I also included the text of the previous contact (email to EA Privacy Policy Dept).

No response.

August 28, I add to my report.
    Dear EA,

I am disappointed that I have to write to you again regarding the same topic, but yet again t has been several (PST business) hours since the current trolls have been flooding the forums with hate and nonsense, yet still no response.

Please find attached just a few samples of the many messages that the boards are being spammed with.

No response.

September 5, I tack onto the same case, writing again concerning the abuse of flags, where trolls are issuing thousands of flags to inoffensive posts, which renders the ‘report’ system for actual abuse useless.

On Sept 8, I get a response!
    Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts Customer Experience.

After checking your contact history, I noticed that you have currently another support request in our queue for the same issue. The reference number of the other request is #. To provide better and more consistent support, I am closing this duplicate support request. I would recommend you to please update your original case if you require an update or further assistance.

For any further help, please feel free to get in touch with us any time. You can browse our extensive knowledge base at http://help.ea.com.

This response is baffling. I have no other support requests open at the time. So, I decide to do as it says and reopen the request. But, before I can finish typing, I get a new response from EA.
    Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts Customer Experience.

After going through your case, I came to know that you are facing the cheating issue in The Sims 4. Had been at your place, I would have felt the same.

If you encounter someone who is cheating, abusing the ranking system or harassing other players in-game and you wish to report them, please file a complaint against them on the by visiting the link given below.

http://help.ea.com/in/article/how-to-report-cheating/

To maintain the account security, please follow the link mentioned below:

http://help.ea.com/in/article/how-to-maintain-account-security/

Once the infraction has been fully reviewed and verified, the appropriate action will be taken against that account. Due to our privacy policies you will not receive an update on the action taken.

If there is anything else that we may assist you with, please let us know. We will be happy to help you.

They have categorized my reports of forum p.orn, hate speech, harassment, general forum abuse, and lack of moderation as a report on ‘in-game cheating’.

I write back:
    I received two emails regarding this issue, both of which are incorrect. One is a canned response that says,"After going through your case, I came to know that you are facing the cheating issue in The Sims 4. Had been at your place, I would have felt the same." It then goes on to direct me to the help page to report more issues. My issue was with the behaviors and lack of oversight on the forums, *not* cheating in the game, and even if it were, that still would not be a satisfactory answer.

The other says that they are closing the ticket because they see I have another open regarding the same issue. I have NO other tickets open at this time.

I realize that the support staff must be eager to close open tickets and stamp "resolved" onto cases, but the issues still remain unaddressed and unanswered. Therefore, I am reopening the ticket.

It still takes hours to get a response from a moderator when someone starts posting obscene messages or pictures.

The "flag" button is still being abused.

The false flags have not been cleared from the accounts of those that were wrongly accused or harassed.

The false flaggers still remain at-large.

From my perspective, this case is not resolved yet. The issues need to be addressed, not dismissed.

Thank you.

I get another response! It's even an apology:
    Thank you for getting back to us.

I apologize for the last response.

I would request you to please visit the below link to report that person who is posting the obscene images on The Sims 4 forums: http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-do-i-report-abuse-or-terms-of-service-violations-on-pogo/#1

There is specific link where you need to report: http://help.ea.com/en/article/reporting-abuse-when-a-spammer-leaves-the-room/

I hope once the infraction will be fully reviewed, the strict action will be taken against such user.

If there is anything else that we may assist you with, please feel free to contact us again. We will be happy to help you. You can also receive online assistance at http://help.ea.com/ or ask our community experts by visiting Answer HQ at http://answers.ea.com.

That’s right. He apologizes for his previously incorrect response and sends me a link for reporting problems for POGO chat. How am I supposed to believe that anyone is listening or taking this seriously?

During that time, and in the time since some other attempts at contact have been attempted from my end, but no other responses from EA. Meanwhile, the episodes of p.orn spamming continue.

Again, how can I look at this as EA taking the issue seriously and working hard toward a solution?
  • Options
    AW35AW35 Posts: 37 Member
    edited June 2015
    Post edited by AW35 on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    In depth? After a month of complete non-response, they told me they were sorry about the 'cheating' I was experiencing and sent me a link about POGO chat.

Yes, very serious.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Post edited by AW35 on
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,286 Member
    "With reference to those that unfortunately view the content, clearing your browser histories would be the best cause of action. If you are aware of particular profiles which are featuring content that is not legal to view then you should flag/report and not visit them or view their posts if it's possible."

Clearing your browsing history doesn't clean the hard drive. The hard drive is the little black box for your computer. The hard drive records everything you do on your PC and every site you ever visited. So this means that if someone has looked at adult sites and wanted to erase the browsing history thinking that no one would find out about the sites, then that person is wrong because their are hard drive readers that people like cops can use to read the hard drive without having it in the computer. And the reason I know this is that I know a friend who knows a sex offender. So my friend told me what happens when the cops has to go to that persons house to do their daily inspection of the house and computer. They bring in this hard drive reader to read the hard drive so see what is on it. So it doesn't matter if they check the browsing history through the favorites tab on whatever internet browser they use and don't find anything on the list as the hard drive keeps records of everywhere someone has been.
  • Options
    EAHQ is one of the places I went looking for help and was told, "We are aware of this, please report abuse to these posts as we cannot do anything about it here. " So, now you're telling me it's not the case?

Also, it seems a bit of equivocation to keep standing by EA not discussing the topic "in-depth" with me, when that is not what I asked for anywhere. An acknowledgement of the problem and that they were working on it would have been an appropriate start. So would have responding to the reports made via chat, e-mail, etc right away by deleting or blocking the images and disabling the account or getting someone else to do it right away instead of letting the "plum" sit hours and days and leaving the tickets to sit for days and weeks unanswered before closing them without response (save the one inappropriate apology for cheating). Since it's a recurrent problem they could have made contact info more readily apparent for reporting such an issue, especially while there were issues with the flag system. There isn't even a list of forum moderators on here as there are on many forums. They could have added a route for reporting what's going on in the forums to EA Help, particularly one that takes you to a live person who can do something. Right now the links are all for technical help, which this is not, or harassment, which takes you to an email page to make a report for investigation at their convenience instead of being able to contact someone quickly and directly.

Do you think ignoring my report for weeks before finally issuing a "sorry about the cheating, here's a link about POGO chat, we're closing this report because we're done here" even though the problem persisted is an appropriate response to reporting repeated "plum" spamming on The Sims forums? Can you not imagine a better response?

Anyway, thanks for the contact information. I hope I don't have to use it.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Post edited by AW35 on
  • Options
    @SimGuruBChick, thanks for some of the updates you've made so far like returning the PM system, adding a polls feature, and adding a selection lists for @Name callouts. I hope we'll continue to see some more changes like this that improve the boards.