Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The State of the Sims 4: Rant, Wonder & Why?

As a player from the very beginning… we’re talking 2000, things have changed drastically. When an expansion pack was released, we’d rush and open the packages and read the leaflets inside to see what was coming next for the game. We’d discover that there’s a new ‘something’ coming. With that information and a fresh new game to install, we’d be happy. We’d be satisfied until the very next one and the process would repeat.

Fast forward to almost the end of Sims 2′s life and almost everything changed. And that’s partly because of technology, the market crash and businesses cutting back on expenses. A lot of the information we received from EA was communicated to fans via the Internet. Once the web became more of the go-to, EA and many other businesses realized that the best way to communicate with its customers is through the Internet.

With the Sims 3 we were constantly updated about the state of the game and where it was headed. Sure, we didn’t get any leaflets inside of the game packages like we did in the old days, but the Production Team was allowed to give us hints and even do broadcasts about the state of the game. I remember in 2012 particularly, there was a huge Maxis conference. Production got to talk about the Sims 3,its updates and even SimCity. The very last broadcast for the Sims 3 took place just before the release of Into the Future. That was to be expected, because we knew that the Sims 4 was on its way.

Fast forward again and we’re deep into 2013. EA/Maxis received a lot of negative player feedback from SimCity (server failures, and the overall game design limiting players to build the cities of their dreams) but Maxis still kept fans updated with the game. There were constant patches to SimCity and there was even an expansion pack for the game later that year.

After Sims 4 was shown at GamesCom, a lot of players fled to the Internet to express their love/concerns for the game. A lot of players felt like the direction of Sims 4 was completely different (which it was, because it was originally supposed to be an online multi-player experience) and many players didn’t like the overall look/purpose of the game. Then came silence.

Many players wanted to know if all of the life-stages from previous games (Sims 2 & 3) would be in the game. One of the production members quoted that all of the life-stages that there was in the past would be in the Sims 4. The reason why EA/Maxis was hounded by fans regarding the life-stages, and many other features of the game was because they were barely discussed prior to release in September 2014. Prior to the Sims 4′s release, we received renders (containing only Young Adult/Adult Sims), and newsletters about the advanced CAS & building. Now keep in mind, players have been aware of the Sims 4′s new and advanced CAS and build mode since GamesCom 2013, but those seemed to be the only things that EA/Maxis wanted us to know… oh and I forgot to mention the new emotions. So CAS, build mode & emotions were the 3 main selling points of the Sims 4 right up until the release of the game.

Then came Summer 2014… oh it was dreadful. It was what we would call a PR nightmare. We received a newsletter informing us that toddlers/pools were taken out of the game so that the production team could focus on more “meaningful and deeper” emotions, weirder stories and more advanced building features. After that newsletter was released, players were outraged and rightfully so. Players were ‘promised’ that all of the life-stages would be included in the game, and then when players questioned the said producer that originally stated that they were; he simply stated “things change.” Yes, things do change and when it comes to producing a game, I am sure they change and change often. But here we are almost 1 year later and the ‘base game’ is still incomplete… at least according to this particular newsletter. http://www.thesims.com/en_GB/news/whats-out-and-whats-in

Then some weeks go by and another newsletter is released informing players of the CAS demo. https://help.ea.com/en/article/the-sims-4-create-a-sim-cas-demo/ Some received the demo right away in their Origin application without having to sign up, but others were instructed to sign up in order to receive the demo. The distribution of the demo seemed fair at first, but then players (myself included) started noticing that if a more known Sims player (Let’s Player/Fan-site Owner) stated online that they did not receive an invitation, they got one and almost instantly while others had to wait. The newsletter promised that eventually all players would be able to use the CAS Demo. That was true. Just about 2-3 weeks before the actual game was released, everyone was then able to go onto Origin and install the demo if they hadn’t received it (which was the majority of the player base). Any how I digress…

The Sims 4 released in the U.S. on September 2nd & many other places world-wide shortly thereafter. Players noticed quite a few bugs (which to be fair, no game has ever been released without its fair share) but one of them was known as the ‘demon baby’ which can be seen here: tumblr_inline_nthqvza96t1ttxlxm_540.png

We received a patch for this and a few other bugs almost instantly, and we were also informed about a few major updates that were coming to the game. Pools, ghosts and added careers and career difficulty level adjustments were the major updates for the remainder of the year. Many players were satisfied, because they thought that things were coming together… which in my opinion, they were.

Then here we are in 2015 and EA starts getting quiet. We did receive a few more game updates such as basements, and much needed patches but questions from players pertaining to toddlers and other ‘base-game’ features such as dishwashers, trash-compactors, etc. were ignored or were answered with “no comment.” Then we received news that the Sims 4′s first expansion pack, “Get to Work” was on its way. Many players were psyched, because Get to Work was the first expansion pack in Sims history where we could actually follow our sims to work and direct them while at work. This expansion pack was heavily anticipated, brought joy to the community and even brought the players together again. It felt like a family again, because everyone was so excited to get their hands on it… well almost everyone anyway. There were still players being vocal on the forums, twitter, reddit & YouTube about the missing 'base-game’ features, but for the most part everyone was excited. March 31st 2015, Get to Work was released.

Many players noticed a few bugs with the careers and the retail system… many of the bugs affecting the overall game-play and the purpose of the expansion pack. Players were very vocal about their frustration with their failing retail shops, because employees weren’t working as they were supposed to and many other things which I don’t really care to point out. We all get the point. Some of the producers of the game, tweeted fans letting them know that with future patches many of these bugs would be worked out… but here we are in August with some of these bugs still not properly worked out.

After Get to Work released, EA basically became quiet. Very quiet. Gurus were instructed from EA to no longer comment on future game updates, etc. Why? No one really knows. Some people suspect that it’s because of EA’s legal team, but if you conduct your research you will see that there is nothing in writing stating that EA can’t/won’t comment on future releases of any of their games. And then there are others who suspect that it’s because they’re afraid of the reception from the players. Anyone wonder why? We still don’t know if toddlers and other ‘base-game’ features will make their way into the game. Just recently, dishwashers were released right before EA’s latest Sims 4 title, “Cool Kitchen” a DLC Stuff Pack.

With everything that’s happened with Sims 4 so far, a lot of players were still anticipating GamesCom 2015 because the Sims was to hold a presentation there. Many players on the forums, twitter, etc. expected to hear about the remaining ‘base-game’ features and possibly more. Well at GamesCom players were presented with EA’s newest Sims 4 expansion pack coming this fall called, “Get Together.” Nothing was said about toddlers, or anything else. Not one word. So once again, players expressed their frustration on social media about this and rightfully so. Why is it that after almost a year of the release, we still have zero confirmation about the remaining missing ‘base-game’ features? Why is EA so quiet? What are they hiding/if they are hiding anything? To make matters ‘worse’ or as some would put it… “to instill players with hope” a survey leaked shortly after GamesCom that discussed many possible releases, INCLUDING: “Generations.” 20397612052_fc18508503.jpg

The Sims 4 Generations… if it’s an expansion pack, players will have to shell out money for toddlers (a life-stage that’s been in the base-game since Sims 2) and a new life-stage known as pre-teens. Why should players have to pay for toddlers, if they were “promised” by EA themselves in 2014? Something’s not right and I think we all deserve honesty and formal communication from EA regarding the current state of the Sims 4 and its future.

Now I know that this is a SUPER long read & I know that I might receive some backlash because I am stating my opinion, but mostly facts, but I am a Sims player. I love the Sims. I have loved this game since I was 11 years old. I am 26 years now and still play this game more than any other game in my life. I just want to know if the game that I was once head over the moon in love with will still be my everything, or if it’s going to die out. I don’t think any of us want to see it die out. Our loudness as some may put it, is because we want the Sims to the BEST that it can be. We want it to survive, we want it to live on… we want to PLAY WITH LIFE.

Are we going to be able to do that before the year’s end? Are we going to be able to do that in 2016? I guess that all remains to be seen… but right now, as positive as I am trying to be … I don’t have that much hope. Will I still buy the upcoming releases, probably. And that’s only because I love to play the Sims, but will I be truly happy? I guess you can never be 100% happy, but I just want to know if the Sims 4 will be the game that we will look back at and say “wow, I loved that game” or “wow, that was one of the worst Sims ever.”

It all remains to be seen folks. It all remains to be seen. But until then, let’s keep being vocal. The more our voices are heard, the more they (EA) might actually listen to us and provide us witht the Simming experience that we want. But let’s remember to be respectful. Using foul language and such will get us absolutely nowhere.

Until next time,

-TheSimsBoi
Check out my tumblr @ http://www.thesimsboi.tumblr.com

Origin ID: TheSimsBoi13
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/TheSimsBoi

Comments

• Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    I think that they would would need to patch in these new life-states since they would have to create patches for basically two different games. It would probably also mess up sharing on the Gallery and corrupt something.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    TheSimsBoi13TheSimsBoi13 Posts: 810 Member
    I think that they would would need to patch in these new life-states since they would have to create patches for basically two different games. It would probably also mess up sharing on the Gallery and corrupt something.

You would think... but if there's a will to make money from consumers, there is always a way. ;)

• Options
    mscosmomscosmo Posts: 118 Member
    Thank You for your well written thought out post.
  • Options
    KelleygirlKelleygirl Posts: 599 Member
    Oh my gosh, I so remember those leaflets announcing the next expansion and how much fun it was discovering the stuff in whatever you had just bought while anticipating the next one. Good rant, I agree with most everything you said.
  • Options
    CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member
    They could do what they did with Cool Kitchen and patch toddlers in a week or two before the release of generations. Given that they're patching a life stage in, it could possibly be bare-bones though.
  • Options
    georgeandjudycasgeorgeandjudycas Posts: 191 Member
    We can always vote with our wallets!!! What if no one purchased any more EP's or stuff packs till we got what we wanted!!
  • Options
    mscosmo wrote: »
    Thank You for your well written thought out post.

Thank you very much! I am glad that you took the time to read it. I know it was rather lengthy, but I am just a passionate player is all. :)

• Options
    Kelleygirl wrote: »
    Oh my gosh, I so remember those leaflets announcing the next expansion and how much fun it was discovering the stuff in whatever you had just bought while anticipating the next one. Good rant, I agree with most everything you said.

Weren't those the days? Gosh I used to rip open the EPs and stuff and would flip the papers over to see what was coming next. I miss it. I just miss being informed, ya know?

• Options
    FairyChick00FairyChick00 Posts: 10 New Member
    [quote="georgeandjudycas;14025528"]We can always vote with our wallets!!! What if no one purchased any more EP's or stuff packs till we got what we wanted!![/quote]

Although this is a great idea, logically if we did this we would receive even less content due to the decrease in funding that would cause.
  • Options
    FairyChick00FairyChick00 Posts: 10 New Member
    [quote="georgeandjudycas;14025528"]We can always vote with our wallets!!! What if no one purchased any more EP's or stuff packs till we got what we wanted!![/quote]

Although this is a great idea, logically if we did this we would receive even less content due to the decrease in funding that would cause.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I think they will patch in the toddlers with whatever is basically needed to care for them eventually. It would help mend the rift a bit even if it's a calculated move. Then they will sell Generations to us with all the bells and whistles and extra game play. They have been "giving" us things all along, around the time of the purchases or with patches.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

I don't think it would mess up the gallery. Because the gallery tells you what packs you don't have installed and offers you to buy them. So, they wouldn't 'need' to patch in toddlers just because of the gallery. They could get around that by offering the pack you don't have if you want that family.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SlyvanasSlyvanas Posts: 855 Member
    We can always vote with our wallets!!! What if no one purchased any more EP's or stuff packs till we got what we wanted!!

Thats exactly what i've been doing. I haven't purchased not one single sims 4 add-on after outdoor retreat. I refuse to. and as i keep saying- at this point its not even about toddlers anymore. But its about the way that they are treating us as customers. They are only accommodating to the people who will buy anything long as it have the sims logo on it. They are not listening to all of us or even acting like they are acknowledging us.
    oxv0Rm8.png
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    Slyvanas wrote: »

Thats exactly what i've been doing. I haven't purchased not one single sims 4 add-on after outdoor retreat. I refuse to. and as i keep saying- at this point its not even about toddlers anymore. But its about the way that they are treating us as customers. They are only accommodating to the people who will buy anything long as it have the sims logo on it. They are not listening to all of us or even acting like they are acknowledging us.

Same here. After repeatedly being disappointed, I decided it's just time to stop. If they turn things around, and start making their actions follow the "we're listening" responses, I'll reassess my decision. But until then, it's just pointless for me to spend any more money on Sims 4. I will continue to raise my voice though. During the SimCity 2013 meltdown, there were quite a few of the "if you don't like it, just don't buy it" remarks, heavily flavored with the "and go away" hints. I closed my wallet and quit posting on the forum, it looked to me like others did too because the SC forum was no where near as busy and vibrant as the forums for earlier versions. Now the SC franchise is no more, and Maxis Emeryville is gone. Perhaps continuing to voice my complaints/concerns/opinions of Sims 4 won't change anything, but on the small chance that it helps the Sims franchise to avoid the fate of SimCity, I'm still going to try.
  • Options
    SharkDOSharkDO Posts: 252 Member
    edited August 2015
    EVERY. SINGLE. WORD. IS. THE. TRUTH! This is so good, informative, and something all Simmers need to read. Honestly if you disagree with this, you are obviously just another EA cheerleader, willing to throw money at anything with the title "The Sims". As I said earlier:
    EA could make a Poop Expansion Pack, with it literally only containing 5 new ways to poop, and the cheerleader would buy it, even if they hate it, saying they feel "obligated to" or "the game feels incomplete without it". Please stop. Stand up for what you believe in, and don't buy something you do not want.
    "I'm a Simmer, not a gamer. I feel like my frustration with the game and the reason I don't "get it" is more about a disconnection and confusion with the vision...I'm worried about the future of the franchise."
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I miss the live broadcasts they use to do. The last one was with The Pool Update.
  • Options
    SharkDO wrote: »
    EVERY. SINGLE. WORD. IS. THE. TRUTH! This is so good, informative, and something all Simmers need to read. Honestly if you disagree with this, you are obviously just another EA cheerleader, willing to throw money at anything with the title "The Sims". As I said earlier:
    EA could make a Poop Expansion Pack, with it literally only containing 5 new ways to poop, and the cheerleader would buy it, even if they hate it, saying they feel "obligated to" or "the game feels incomplete without it". Please stop. Stand up for what you believe in, and don't buy something you do not want.

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to read! I respect and am fully aware that some people may feel differently than I do, but like others I just wanted to express how I feel about the game that I grew up with. I don't want to see it go down the wrong path. I want the Sims to be back on top. I don't think it's because "I'm older" that things aren't as exciting as they used to be. Look at Pokémon for example. That game is STILL on top after all of these years. That's how the Sims should be, because the Sims CAN be that game!

I just really want EA to make things right. I am not saying that they haven't, because since the release of the Sims 4 we've received many various updates and such to improve the Sims 4 experience. It's not perfect, yet (and as I stated previously - no game is), but I do appreciate the efforts that have been put forth thus far. I just wish that the marketing team/production team was more communicative with us. When they do communicate, it's via Twitter or through fan-sites. In my opinion, EA should be communicating here as well. That's what these forums are for, right?

Again, thank you very much for reading! :)

• Options
    I miss the live broadcasts they use to do. The last one was with The Pool Update.

The broadcasts were awesome. We got to see the excitement that the production team had for their work. I miss that, I really do. Things are just so different now.

• Options
    Same here. After repeatedly being disappointed, I decided it's just time to stop. If they turn things around, and start making their actions follow the "we're listening" responses, I'll reassess my decision. But until then, it's just pointless for me to spend any more money on Sims 4. I will continue to raise my voice though. During the SimCity 2013 meltdown, there were quite a few of the "if you don't like it, just don't buy it" remarks, heavily flavored with the "and go away" hints. I closed my wallet and quit posting on the forum, it looked to me like others did too because the SC forum was no where near as busy and vibrant as the forums for earlier versions. Now the SC franchise is no more, and Maxis Emeryville is gone. Perhaps continuing to voice my complaints/concerns/opinions of Sims 4 won't change anything, but on the small chance that it helps the Sims franchise to avoid the fate of SimCity, I'm still going to try.

I think it's completely disrespectful for people to say things like, "if you don't like it... don't buy it." It's a lot more complicated than that. We should all respect the differences of opinions as long as we are not disrespecting one another. We are a community. We are bound to have disagreements, but with communication we can shape our community to be a better place. Those people who shun others for stating their opinions, are just driving people away and tearing us apart. That's not how it should be.

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I really wish they could keep us informed of future projects like in the days of TS3.
  • Options
    I really wish they could keep us informed of future projects like in the days of TS3.

I do too CLP. I do too!

• Options
    lyralyra Posts: 420 Member
    edited August 2015
    Excellent post, thanks for sharing. Agreed with everything you've said here. Couldn't have said it better.

I have also been playing since 2000 and I am dismayed at the direction this game is taking; I bought the base and Get to Work but that's it for me. I've been playing TS2 again and loving it.
  • Options
    SharkDOSharkDO Posts: 252 Member
    edited August 2015
    SharkDO wrote: »

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to read! I respect and am fully aware that some people may feel differently than I do, but like others I just wanted to express how I feel about the game that I grew up with. I don't want to see it go down the wrong path. I want the Sims to be back on top. I don't think it's because "I'm older" that things aren't as exciting as they used to be. Look at Pokémon for example. That game is STILL on top after all of these years. That's how the Sims should be, because the Sims CAN be that game!

I just really want EA to make things right. I am not saying that they haven't, because since the release of the Sims 4 we've received many various updates and such to improve the Sims 4 experience. It's not perfect, yet (and as I stated previously - no game is), but I do appreciate the efforts that have been put forth thus far. I just wish that the marketing team/production team was more communicative with us. When they do communicate, it's via Twitter or through fan-sites. In my opinion, EA should be communicating here as well. That's what these forums are for, right?

Again, thank you very much for reading! :)

Of course! I even tweeted the link to this to Lindsay, EA, The Sims, Graham, and Rachel, because I thought it was that awesome!
    "I'm a Simmer, not a gamer. I feel like my frustration with the game and the reason I don't "get it" is more about a disconnection and confusion with the vision...I'm worried about the future of the franchise."
  • Options
    cheesetruckcheesetruck Posts: 2,518 Member
    Well said! I agree with it all. I miss the live broadcasts a lot, even though they had their awkward moments. :D
  • Options
    lyra wrote: »
    Excellent post, thanks for sharing. Agreed with everything you've said here. Couldn't have said it better.

I have also been playing since 2000 and I am dismayed at the direction this game is taking; I bought the base and Get to Work but that's it for me. I've been playing TS2 again and loving it.

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to read it! It's always great to hear from other long-time players! :) - It's great to hear that you're re-enjoying the Sims 2. The Sims 2 is a wonderful game, and has so much to offer. I hope that one day the Sims 4 will as well. :)

Well said! I agree with it all. I miss the live broadcasts a lot, even though they had their awkward moments. :D

Yay!!! I am so glad you read it! I didn't even know that you were on the forums. :wink:

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top