Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The State of the Sims 4: Rant, Wonder & Why?

Comments

• TheSimsBoi13TheSimsBoi13 Posts: 810 Member
    SharkDO wrote: »

Of course! I even tweeted the link to this to Lindsay, EA, The Sims, Graham, and Rachel, because I thought it was that awesome!

Wow, how awesome! What's your user-name on Twitter? I'd love to connect with you on there. I am TheSimsBoi :)

Check out my tumblr @ http://www.thesimsboi.tumblr.com

Origin ID: TheSimsBoi13
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/TheSimsBoi
  • KelleygirlKelleygirl Posts: 599 Member
    Because of your original post, I was feeling nostalgic and ended up on youtube looking at past trailers. (Link if anyone gives a plum): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCJfst8H4b0
    Over the years, even the trailers have changed. Looking back it is easy to see that the Sims series has always been a cash cow, but in the past, a stuff pack meant you actually got lots of stuff in exchange for your money, and an expansion pack really expanded on the game. Re-watching those trailers made me realize why I have come to expect so much from the sims series and why TS4 has been so disappointing to me.
  • Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    We can always vote with our wallets!!! What if no one purchased any more EP's or stuff packs till we got what we wanted!!

Then we wouldn't be able to get what we wanted, do you really think they'll keep making more packs if no one buys the previous ones? Especially since they spend allot of money making packs, they wouldn't even be able to make packs that people want.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    We can always vote with our wallets!!! What if no one purchased any more EP's or stuff packs till we got what we wanted!!

Heck I am not even going to be buying any more expansion packs or stuff packs for Sims 4. Only game that getting support is Sims 3 till I own the expansion packs that I want.
    I agree with you @TheSimsBoi13. While there are many aspects of TS4 I love, the marketing strategy and communication with fan gen-pop has been beyond poor.

For me, the sour taste in my mouth really started with the infamous CAS Demo and its distribution. We were told that the demo distribution as randomized and the servers for the demo/game were being tested. I started noticing that all of the “popular” YouTubers/Simmers were getting chosen an awful lot, with a few of us “regular” people in between.

If you think about the explanation that was given, that the game servers were being tested, why in the world would you distribute the demo to the most visible players who have the farthest reaching influence? If anything was wrong with the servers and/or the demo EA would have been caught out on Main Street with their pants around their ankles giving any and every one a free eyeful. This is why I believe the “testing servers” randomized distribution explanation is a shenanigans.

EA should have called the initial CAS demo distribution exactly what it was; a media preview. It wasn't a beta, because every other publisher out there gives parameters on how to eligible become participate to the community at large, whether it’s through a preorder or filling out a beta application. It also wasn't a demo because demos are open to each and every potential customer.

EA chose to call the demo distribution random while including every big YouTuber/Simmer who was “EA positive” instead of giving every potential customer a chance to sample their product. I was personally offended that EA wanted me to give up my money to buy a product when they were not willing to distribute the demo to every potential customer until approx. 2.5 weeks before the game released. Meanwhile, all of the high profile types had over a month to use the demo. I actually canceled my preorder of TS4 because of the way the CAS demo was handled, and I had pre-ordered both TS2 and TS3.

I am also disappointed by the sheer lack of info on GPs, EPs, and SPs given to us by EA. I’m tired of trailers to announce a trailer. I’m tired of trailers that imply certain kinds of game play are available in these new packs, only to later learn that just about everything in the trailer is staged.

I can't help but feel the reason we aren't told anything anymore is because EA doesn't want to hear fan feedback, they'd rather listen to portions of the community that will only agree with whatever is presented to them, and not ask for more. For example, if Get to Work had been tested more thoroughly with fans, I'm 99% sure the active careers wouldn't be alternate/parallel universes that have no bearing on your Sims’ everyday lives. What is the point of having a police station or a hospital if the Sims you're playing with day-to-day can never see a doctor when ill, or be arrested when misbehaving?

I do love The Sims, it offers a unique style of play and storytelling that isn't available elsewhere. However, I really feel that EA needs to start listening to the community, making tangible strides toward the changes we want, and making that journey back to the series’ roots. Otherwise, I feel like The Sims may never again be the series it once was, which is a terrible shame.

This post brought tears to my eyes and not in a bad way... but in a way where so much truth was spilled that I can't do anything, but cry. The "Get to Work" points that you brought up, I never even though about. So freaking true. Why can't our Sims go to a doctor when they need to be taken care of? Why can't police officers arrest sims who are fighting on the streets? It makes no sense to me... especially since the Sims 4 is supposed to be "weirder stories and more in-depth simulation."

Thank you so much for this amazing contribution to the thread. I couldn't have asked for more as a member of this community.

• Kevida120766Kevida120766 Posts: 835 Member
    I have gotten to the point that I give up on EA ever making "An Improved Sims 2". I still say that was the best incarnation. If they could combine TS2's game play, wants and fears, and personality system (certain personalities NEVER go along in TS2 and Sims' emotions were better), with TS3's CASt (although find a way to make it not such a resource hog), and TS4's CAS then that would be a great start along with habing toodlers and pools from the start.

Great article by the way!
    I'd just like to thank everyone for reading & participating in this discussion. I am rarely vocal about my passion for the Sims, but as a member of the community I'd definitely like my voice to contribute to making the game and the community a better experience for us all.

• g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,027 Member
    I really wish they could keep us informed of future projects like in the days of TS3.

What are you willing to give up to get what you want? They don't have an unlimited budget so they can't be keeping us informed and working on adding the so called 'missing features' or fixing bugs at the same time. They also have to keep creating stuff to sell to us or their budget for the next fiscal year will be reduced which means even less chance of seeing missing features/bug fixes.
  • SharkDOSharkDO Posts: 252 Member
    g01denswan wrote: »
    I really wish they could keep us informed of future projects like in the days of TS3.

What are you willing to give up to get what you want? They don't have an unlimited budget so they can't be keeping us informed and working on adding the so called 'missing features' or fixing bugs at the same time. They also have to keep creating stuff to sell to us or their budget for the next fiscal year will be reduced which means even less chance of seeing missing features/bug fixes.

No.... just no....if they could do it back then, they can do it now.
    "I'm a Simmer, not a gamer. I feel like my frustration with the game and the reason I don't "get it" is more about a disconnection and confusion with the vision...I'm worried about the future of the franchise."
  • TeresitaTeresita Posts: 630 Member
    Flop 4 isn't a life simulation game. It's a drama simulation lol http://venturebeat.com/2014/09/19/how-entertainment-and-life-gives-life-to-the-sims/
    I disagree. This is a multimillion dollar corporation. They've hired people specifically to manage their social websites. The devs being busy is not the reason they are not communicating future content with the fans.

Who are these people they hired? I've never seen anyone else besides the gurus answering questions on the forum, twitter and the videos.
    SharkDO wrote: »

No.... just no....if they could do it back then, they can do it now.

Why? Because you say so?
  • agent_bevagent_bev Posts: 1,313 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I think that they would would need to patch in these new life-states since they would have to create patches for basically two different games. It would probably also mess up sharing on the Gallery and corrupt something.

I don't think it would mess up the gallery. Because the gallery tells you what packs you don't have installed and offers you to buy them. So, they wouldn't 'need' to patch in toddlers just because of the gallery. They could get around that by offering the pack you don't have if you want that family.

It would mess up future EP content though. Imagine if a seasons content came out after this- do they just not make outerwear for toddlers? Or make them and everyone who doesn't have the right dlc has to pay for it but never gets to see it? Do we just not get new toddler items in the future because it wouldn't be inclusive? Not patching in toddlers would create more of a nightmare down the road for everyone. People who don't like toddlers can just age them up right away anyway.

• Swjosdotschka2Swjosdotschka2 Posts: 110 Member
    edited August 2015
    Thank you for your great post. I could not have put it better.

There is just one little think I disagree with. You told us to keep being vocal, so that EA eventually listen. I can asure you, they will never listen as long as not-happy customers will buy upcoming Sims 4 releases. They don't care if you are happy, as long as you buy what they made. They are not listening to words, they are only listening to stats and numbres.

So I would encourage everyone who is not happy with Sims 4 to NOT buy anything anymore until EA is making up for their mistakes and fulfill their promisses. That does not mean we can not be vocal in the meantime, though.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    agent_bev wrote: »
    I think that they would would need to patch in these new life-states since they would have to create patches for basically two different games. It would probably also mess up sharing on the Gallery and corrupt something.

I don't think it would mess up the gallery. Because the gallery tells you what packs you don't have installed and offers you to buy them. So, they wouldn't 'need' to patch in toddlers just because of the gallery. They could get around that by offering the pack you don't have if you want that family.

It would mess up future EP content though. Imagine if a seasons content came out after this- do they just not make outerwear for toddlers? Or make them and everyone who doesn't have the right dlc has to pay for it but never gets to see it? Do we just not get new toddler items in the future because it wouldn't be inclusive? Not patching in toddlers would create more of a nightmare down the road for everyone. People who don't like toddlers can just age them up right away anyway.

The game adjusts. Like when I put my saved Sims from my Demo tray in the game, they were not updated right away to wear swimwear, but after playing them (at first they have no bathing suit choices or option at all) a few hours in the game, eventually updates them to offer a choice in swim wear. But it's not instant. And they are just demo Sims (YA only).
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited August 2015
    Thank you for your great post. I could not have put it better.

There is just one little think I disagree with. You told us to keep being vocal, so that EA eventually listen. I can asure you, they will never listen as long as not-happy customers will buy upcoming Sims 4 releases. They don't care if you are happy, as long as you buy what they made. They are not listening to words, they are only listening to stats and numbres.

So I would encourage everyone who is not happy with Sims 4 to NOT buy anything anymore until EA is making up for their mistakes and fulfill their promisses. That does not mean we can not be vocal in the meantime, though.

I wouldn't go that far. And I have recently changed my mind as of a few days ago. I thought about all of this and in all my unhappiness of the TS3 it stopped nothing from continuing. Here we are in the TS4 and still not that happy with this game, either. But my refusing to buy more for the TS3 didn't stop others from buying the store, every EP and SP and adding mods to play the game they wanted. So, it seems to be a thing with The Sims. I didn't buy every EP for TS3 nor SP, nor add mods, and the least played among the four in different areas of the game. Like I didn't build much in that game because even in that game I found some things about build mod changed that I didn't like. I will no longer support don't buy because toddlers aren't in. I never got my restaurant in the TS3 and that didn't stop anybody from buying for the TS3. And they didn't care if I was unhappy or not. And the same here, people have to decide what is important to them. We aren't going to stop EA's new business model for games which is a 'service' model to release content each month for all their game genres whether we like that or not. They are bigger bulldogs than us, and it is simply is futile.

ETA: Making a statement (me) on the TS3 didn't change one thing for me. And it won't in this game, either.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    I wouldn't go that far. And I have recently changed my mind as of a few days ago. I thought about all of this and in all my unhappiness of the TS3 it stopped nothing from continuing. Here we are in the TS4 and still not that happy with this game, either. But my refusing to buy more for the TS3 didn't stop others from buying the store, every EP and SP and adding mods to play the game they wanted. So, it seems to be a thing with The Sims. I didn't buy every EP for TS3 nor SP, nor add mods, and the least played among the four in different areas of the game. Like I didn't build much in that game because even in that game I found some things about build mod changed that I didn't like. I will no longer support don't buy because toddlers aren't in. I never got my restaurant in the TS3 and that didn't stop anybody from buying for the TS3. And they didn't care if I was unhappy or not. And the same here, people have to decide what is important to them. We aren't going to stop EA's new business model for games which is a 'service' model to release content each month for all their game genres whether we like that or not. They are bigger bulldogs than us, and it is simply is futile.

ETA: Making a statement (me) on the TS3 didn't change one thing for me. And it won't in this game, either.

This is true. We can all have our visions, wants, etc. but that won't change what EA's vision is for this game or future titles. Sure our voices can help shape the game, but not everyone will get what they want.

I am like you, Cinebar. I didn't build in Sims 3 because I thought it was too difficult, but I thoroughly enjoy building in the Sims 4. In my opinion it's the best feature about the Sims 4. Like anyone can build now... even those who were "build mode challenged" like me. I used to build a box, with a roof with windows covering the entire house LOL.

This is true. We can all have our visions, wants, etc. but that won't change what EA's vision is for this game or future titles. Sure our voices can help shape the game, but not everyone will get what they want.

I am like you, Cinebar. I didn't build in Sims 3 because I thought it was too difficult, but I thoroughly enjoy building in the Sims 4. In my opinion it's the best feature about the Sims 4. Like anyone can build now... even those who were "build mode challenged" like me. I used to build a box, with a roof with windows covering the entire house LOL.

I was of a different mind a few days ago until things happened that made me see the light. I didn't buy everything for TS1, Not all SPs for TS2, Not half the EPs for TS3 and won't for this game either. Yes, I prefer the old game styles a life simulator. But to be honest I do enjoy building in this game and find some things I like about it. We can only suggest and fuss about things we want tweaked. But this train has left the station and we either enjoy what we have and buy more that may or may not be fun and or just walk away. EA isn't going to change their entire franchise setup to cater to us and stop pumping out base game content once a month or adding it in a pk etc. We all know that if we know what type of model they are using in all their other games, too. That is a business plan for the entire company so we either like this game and find some things likeable and play those things or just play something else.

Telling someone else not to buy to make a statement is a nice theory but it didn't work on the TS3 and it won't work now. And as unhappy as I was with the AI in the TS3 millions more enjoyed building, the Exchange, mods, and EPs while I sat in the corner...lol I eventually did find things to like about the TS3 and even bought some store stuff and was gifted quite a few things. Still start it up now and then.

I just think this 'cause' is futile. We can ask but if they don't deliver the only thing we are doing is hurting ourselves. If I have a game setting here that I might like to build in, then I should play it, regardless if toddlers are in it or not. Because truthfully, I play all kinds of building games and I enjoy them. But only looking at one aspect of a game is wrong, and I have been in a hive mind.
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    I disagree. This is a multimillion dollar corporation. They've hired people specifically to manage their social websites. The devs being busy is not the reason they are not communicating future content with the fans.

Who are these people they hired? I've never seen anyone else besides the gurus answering questions on the forum, twitter and the videos.

Of course you won't see them. They're generally behind the scenes. This business of making excuses for EA's lack of interest in their own game (except for milking it dry so that they can use the money for their other games), is for the birds.

So you're saying that Simgurus Graham, Ryan, Grant, Stephanie, King, Brittany, etc. weren't on the previous TS3 &/or TS4 live broadcasts and the tweets by Simgurus weren't really tweeted by Simgurus and the 'Ask A Guru' threads weren't really answered by Simgurus, but by these other people who were hired specifically to manage their social media websites? Okay! If you are so determined to lie to yourself, I'm not going to stop you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top