Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

STILL NOT A FAN...!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2015
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    My grandkids wish they had my computer -

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.3GHz

Asus Z Pro gaming Board

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

You really need to re-defy Grannie Machines and not one YA in my family has a pc to compare. What's more not one of them has any comparable pc knowledge that I do. This is 2015 and not the Grannies of 1999. Even great Grannies and Great Grandads of this day and age pooh-pooh the Granny pc bull spewed in this day and era. My dads own pc is at least as good as the pc I just outgrew for this new build and he is almost 78. That one was a Phenom II x 6 running Nvidia GTX 750ti and GTX 550 ti video cards with 8 gigs of high speed gaming ram that I just discarded.
    In fact I think it's mostly the younger players who play on low end computers. Grannies have money ;)

LOL. I know most of mine are too busy spending every dime they make on weird clothes, their vehicles, vacations, partying, and concerts. Then they have a day at home and sit complaining about how terrible all their pc games play (most of which they might play a half hour a day) because they choose a super light carry anywhere notebook type tech when a decent game won't even play on those things. Their at home pc that they have had like forever is so old it cannot keep up with new games - just as you said - most are lucky if they even have a dual core - something I had back in Sims 2 days lol - and then they have the nerve to blame the game. Not to say EA games are blameless - the fact is at least on a super computer I have no issues - loading screen are mere eye blinks of a few seconds, and I have never crashed. I did not even crash on my Sims 3 - 4 core or the 6 core I had toward the end of Sims 3. I do tend to choose Asus AMD with Nvidia Video cards for Sims games seeing Intell tends to have more issues with Sims games since Sims 2 - but that is just me and quite possibly why I have no issues but the lack of toddlers in Sims 4. Unfortunately no amount of money spent on my pc fixes that.

Also to be fair my husband is a pc tech - he can buy brand new from the manufacturer for less than the average person pays for components. He has accounts with Asus (I am very partial to ASUS products - even my Nvidia card is by Asus) and several other companies that often saves him more money if he is building several pcs on the newest stuff out there - but he also has tech accounts with Newegg and Tiger direct too, so it is not all that expensive for me to keep a top of the line pc more time than not. Believe me - no one wants to know me when my pc is not making me happy. LOL. My family falls all over themselves keeping me computer happy. LOL. (Personally I don't think I am really that bad - lol - but no one else seems to agree. LOL. I once had a pc hit by lightening - at 10 pm one night - by midnight of the same night hubby was setting me up with another pc to use that was better than the one that got zapped simply because he said I had this look on my face..... Pfffft.... he exaggerates. LOL.
    Hahaha, I can almost see your loved ones running for you, starting a first aid plan to avoid that look.

True LOL. Hubby makes one call - "Mom's pc has issues; or the one I hear the most " mom has issues with her pc, lord knows what" - that's all it takes it seems. Oddly no one ever questions it. LOL. Believe me, they have given up trying to argue with me or even suggest looking to see if there is an issue. They claim I start getting "that LOOK" the minute they try.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    SlyvanasSlyvanas Posts: 855 Member
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    What is so odd about this post is that the title says STILL NOT A FAN...!!!! while it is created by someone called SimLover

For your information, do you want a laggy game or a super fast game? That is a reason why there is loading screens as the game engine can't handle too much objects.

If the game engine can't handle to many objetc then they should of never went with that one in the first place
    oxv0Rm8.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Slyvanas wrote: »
    What is so odd about this post is that the title says STILL NOT A FAN...!!!! while it is created by someone called SimLover

For your information, do you want a laggy game or a super fast game? That is a reason why there is loading screens as the game engine can't handle too much objects.

If the game engine can't handle to many objetc then they should of never went with that one in the first place

You want the honest truth - I don't see any issues in this game engine - I think they are using that as a convenient excuse to not apply themselves. This game engine is not the disaster people are making it out to be as far as I can see. They are actually proving just the opposite of things they said to start with by having no issues doing things they did not do to start with or said they couldn't. The fact the engineers have no issues instigating what needs to be done with no adverse affects if the game engine would have if it was deficient is all hyperbole, hoop-la if you ask me. My view - the issue is the lack of engineers doing other projects instead of Maxis keeping a team of them for our game. They are too busy pushing out Star War or mobile games to devote a good enough number of engineers to Sims. Granted that is just my view - but I can't help but feel it is the truth. I do not see the kind of weakness I see simmers speculate about in this game engine. Oddly the Sims 3 game engine had tons of issues and you see all they incorporated into that game - while this one has none of those issues so far.

ETA - Honestly their biggest problem besides lack of engineers is their choice of mapping system. This is like the worse ever map system they could have chosen for a sandbox style game and more like a choice one would have chosen for a stand alone game or a highly scripted game like Sims medieval or Castaways. This style was okay 16 years ago for a sims game but not okay in todays standard.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Slyvanas wrote: »

It's not the engine as they have said, it is the multitasking and why you can't visit your Sim's neighbor. As I can't explain it if you guys want to read what they said about closed world and other matters you can find those answer in the Guru tech talk thread they were doing for several weeks. It actually is how they set up multitasking why we can't have nice things. lol
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Cinebar - it could be fixed by a few engineers - but they made this game so that it did not need the engineers to get heavily involved - which is bull pucky if you ask me when we pay premium prices for a premium game we deserve engineers doing it right and not leaving plug ends for fx and art additions. It is just Maxis trying to cut costs I'll bet you anything seeing three-four artists cost as much as one engineer per hour to pay - so never mind a team of them like they have on Star Wars and Battlefield and such. We pay as much and deserve as good a team in my view.

That goes back to the BEAR being a suit instead of a bear - an engineer could have made an animated bear - but it was cheaper for them to have the art developer make a bear suit - thus no engineer needed as they already had animated YA and ADs that wore costumes. same with the FX activated chipmonks - they are just images on the screen and not really little chipmonk objects that get animated by engineers but get a projected image in the background by fx. That is why they look horrible compared to Sims 3 like animated chipmonks which are actually programmed objects that sims can interact with.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cinebar - it could be fixed by a few engineers - but they made this game so that it did not need the engineers to get heavily involved - which is bull pucky if you ask me when we pay premium prices for a premium game we deserve engineers doing it right and not leaving plug ends for fx and art additions. It is just Maxis trying to cut costs I'll bet you anything seeing three-four artists cost as much as one engineer per hour to pay - so never mind a team of them like they have on Star Wars and Battlefield and such. We pay as much and deserve as good a team in my view.

That goes back to the BEAR being a suit instead of a bear - an engineer could have made an animated bear - but it was cheaper for them to have the art developer make a bear suit - thus no engineer needed as they already had animated YA and ADs that wore costumes. same with the FX activated chipmonks - they are just images on the screen and not really little chipmonk objects that get animated by engineers but get a projected image in the background by fx. That is why they look horrible compared to Sims 3 like animated chipmonks which are actually programmed objects that sims can interact with.

I don't know I have read so much I might get mixed up on their developer answers. I know Max said open world was not possible (my words) due to nodes on graph (?) over my head, and the carryables these Sims do when multitasking? And this would all cause performance issues on top of it I would assume. Just like toddlers can't be carried in the hind pocket. It all meshes together some days but what I really hear from all those technical answers is No.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    You vent, Girl. It's good for you. :mrgreen:

I hope you get it working better. :cookie:
  • Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    Alysha1988 wrote: »
    Because it's 2004 and it's not really technologically feasible at this point for EA to create an open world in an optimized state that would run on most people's computers.

Wait....

I know right?
    Ugh. I think it's just most people who play this game play it on a potato that can't handle anything too demanding. So now we're all stuck with this "sequel" made for an S3 Android phone.
  • Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    Ellessarr wrote: »
    SimLover23 wrote: »
    Of these darn loading screens!! I have been playing the sims 4 since the release day and I thought by now I would be used to it BUT I AM NOT!!! These loading screens take up SO MUCH GAME PLAY TIME IT IS RIDICULOUS!! I literally spend more time in loading than I do playing which makes me upset!!

AND WHY DO WE NEED A LOADING SCREEN TO GO NEXT DOOR....???????? :/
    MY SIMS MOSLTY STAY HOME BECAUSE OF THE TIME IT WOULD TAKE JUST TO ENJOY A DAY AT THE PARK!
    Will they ever get rid of loading screens? Or at least only have them on MAJOR TRAVEL...!! NOT RIGHT NEXT DOOR!?!?!?

Sorry I just needed to vent a little! My loading screens can take up to 5 mins 2mins if I am lucky :|
    well you know eaxis need to cater the "granny pc users, we still having peoples playing games on that machines
    ibm.jpg
    then they need make sure that peoples can play smooth the game ^^

well think it about "lazy" mode on and live with that.

that is why i give up, like you i started to feel more and more trapped in home since the load screens annoyied me a lot when most of the games which i play nowadays barelly have one and can run fast and smooth in many pcs, you know real true good game developers".
    No, you mean this.
    hvnz83.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Cinebar wrote: »

I don't know I have read so much I might get mixed up on their developer answers. I know Max said open world was not possible (my words) due to nodes on graph (?) over my head, and the carryables these Sims do when multitasking? And this would all cause performance issues on top of it I would assume. Just like toddlers can't be carried in the hind pocket. It all meshes together some days but what I really hear from all those technical answers is No.

I understand that - but that is thanks to their choice of mapping system as the Sims 1 maps system was not made for open world even though it had a full road system - it was based like Sims 4 in each ep world being a plug in on one map that is really not connected. At least in Sims 1 we could see the whole map because it had a road system - but the fact remained they added areas were not truly connected except while one was on the road way. This is the Sims 1 map system with no roads system and on top of it each little hood is surrounded by backdrop. It is sort of like building every little hood inside of a swimming pool so they is no way in or out of that area but teleport. Oh and the swimming pools hood just float in the air - unconnected from each other - as well as not even on a real map at all. Just floating. Hince why we get a hand drawn look at their vision if they were on a map.

ETA - If I remember correctly the Sims 1 game engine was a Unity 2 D engine - as simple as they come - where as this engine appears much more like an Unreal engine than any Unity engine. I still cannot really identify it - but I can see it could have taken any number of mapping systems and I have no clue why they went with this one. There is no good reason I can see. My son is a C++ programmer and one of his specialties is Map building and he is astounded and cannot see any good reason for this map. To be honest he is not a simmer and does not much care for the game - the maps he makes are for interractive vast games on the scale of games like the new Star wars and such would be, so half of his displeasure is like an art expert looking at kindergarteners drawings - I am sure - but the very fact he equates a premium priced game giving us a map of that low level is rather despicable to start with if you ask me. I am rather old school as far as programming goes - the early days, where as my son is very familiar with today - and if he says something makes no sense than I agree. LOL. But yes the multitasking is an issue - at least when left to just the rest of the team to deal with working around it with fewer engineers and programmers.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

I understand that - but that is thanks to their choice of mapping system as the Sims 1 maps system was not made for open world even though it had a full road system - it was based like Sims 4 in each ep world being a plug in on one map that is really not connected. At least in Sims 1 we could see the whole map because it had a road system - but the fact remained they added areas were not truly connected except while one was on the road way. This is the Sims 1 map system with no roads system and on top of it each little hood is surrounded by backdrop. It is sort of like building every little hood inside of a swimming pool so they is no way in or out of that area but teleport. Oh and the swimming pools hood just float in the air - unconnected from each other - as well as not even on a real map at all. Just floating. Hince why we get a hand drawn look at their vision if they were on a map.

ETA - If I remember correctly the Sims 1 game engine was a Unity 2 D engine - as simple as they come - where as this engine appears much more like an Unreal engine than any Unity engine. I still cannot really identify it - but I can see it could have taken any number of mapping systems and I have no clue why they went with this one. There is no good reason I can see. My son is a C++ programmer and one of his specialties is Map building and he is astounded and cannot see any good reason for this map. To be honest he is not a simmer and does not much care for the game - the maps he makes are for interractive vast games on the scale of games like the new Star wars and such would be, so half of his displeasure is like an art expert looking at kindergarteners drawings - I am sure - but the very fact he equates a premium priced game giving us a map of that low level is rather despicable to start with if you ask me. I am rather old school as far as programming goes - the early days, where as my son is very familiar with today - and if he says something makes no sense than I agree. LOL. But yes the multitasking is an issue - at least when left to just the rest of the team to deal with working around it with fewer engineers and programmers.
    i also have some friends working in game developing well in a big one and also they say the same as your son when i showed sims 4 they laughted at me how poor the game was developed and is overpriced, they laughted at the map choices the load screens they really asked if this game really come from ea because they could not believe on the "short cuts" and bad code the game have compared even with others EA games.
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member

Wow your post puts Sims 4 in a bad light game engine cannot handle complex operations and loading screens all over the place in order not to stress the game engine. Too many loading screens regardless of the time tends to dampen the immersion. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    meeoun wrote: »

I know right?
    Ugh. I think it's just most people who play this game play it on a potato that can't handle anything too demanding. So now we're all stuck with this "sequel" made for an S3 Android phone.
    There are better games out there to play on an Android phone like Fallout Shelter. PVZ 2 is pretty fun too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    I'd like to have maybe a quick loading screen mini-game like they made for some Dragon Ball games.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    TeresitaTeresita Posts: 630 Member
    Ew your game looks bloated. I can load Sims 3 faster than that.

They have to make some kind of coding to delete unnecessary cache files (not just the ones you can delete manually)
    Because it's 2004 and it's not really technologically feasible at this point for EA to create an open world in an optimized state that would run on most people's computers.

Wait....

I know right?
    Sounds like a multi-million dollar deal! EA better write this down

$2.99 dollar hardware just to play all the Sims 4 goodness.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Prink34320 wrote: »
    I'd like to have maybe a quick loading screen mini-game like they made for some Dragon Ball games.
    That would be cool. Remember the mini game for the Sims 2 installation? That was fun. Splatoon has a loading screen mini game and it is fun to play.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    That would be cool. Remember the mini game for the Sims 2 installation? That was fun. Splatoon has a loading screen mini game and it is fun to play.

yea they also have a minigame to loade sims3... nice little adition makes loading less iritationg

🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    PhantomflexPhantomflex Posts: 3,607 Member

Wait....

I know right?

This.

The Sims will never be able to innovate itself as long as EA takes advantage of the fact that a good chunk of its players are not very tech savy.
    Take the system requirements for TS4 as an example. Why would any AAA developer in 2015 shoot themselves in the foot trying to support people running Windows XP, and to a much lesser extent, Windows Vista for a graphic and processor intensive game?
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    anettesb wrote: »

yea they also have a minigame to loade sims3... nice little adition makes loading less iritationg
    Too bad loading takes even longer with the mini game though. I'd like the idea if it wouldn't influence loading times.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    edited August 2015
    I hate loading screens. I stopped playing TS2 because of them, and that was probably the best sims game ever.
    How odd they thought that it was a good idea to repeat that mistake :rolls eyes:
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    anettesb wrote: »

Too bad loading takes even longer with the mini game though. I'd like the idea if it wouldn't influence loading times.

true but for me it isn't that much longer... and atleast I have fun

but honestly there is to many loading screens in sims4...

I could live with it much better if it was just between nabohoods..... but each hood was about 10 medium lots and an open map.... then each town could be as now 1 or more hoods... and there could be difrent towns... working like now so you can travel there...
    atleast if it was like this I could have my every day things to visit in my own nabohood... a few nabos and a park/library/gym/pool .... where my sims could room free and if just in the same hood I could control them all at the same time.
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    edited August 2015
    I'm on Gen 4 of my save and loading definetely got a lot longer than at the beginning. LGR also mentioned that problem. It doesn't always have to do with specs, mine are pretty decent.
    I would definetely visit my sims neighbours more often if we didn't have load screens, not because of how long they are but because of how i have to interrupt everyone who isn't traveling and they stop doing what i told them to do. That stuff really annoys me.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    marcellala wrote: »
    I'm on Gen 4 of my save and loading definetely got a lot longer than at the beginning. LGR also mentioned that problem. It doesn't always have to do with specs, mine are pretty decent.
    I would definetely visit my sims neighbours more often if we didn't have load screens, not because of how long they are but because of how i have to interrupt everyone who isn't traveling and they stop doing what i told them to do. That stuff really annoys me.
    Yes, it's the loading screen consequences as much (or even more maybe) as the waiting time it costs that make me dislike them.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited August 2015
    The loading screens don't bother me too much time-wise, but maybe that's because I used to play sims on console a couple of years ago. I dislike the color overly bright, white color scheme of the loading screens (and the UI and the neighboorhood screen) though... It may sound odd, but I miss the generally blue UI from all the old versions of Sims.
  • Options
    SimLover23SimLover23 Posts: 362 Member
    It would be so cool if the neighborhoods had 1 loading screen that load everything in that neighborhood and within that neighborhood you could go anywhere without loading screens! AND THE ONLY TIME YOU NEED LOADING SCREENS WOULD BE TO SWITCH NEIGHBORHOODS! Now that is what they should have done!