Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Short Story Challenges: October: So Spooky

Comments

• Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    @sabreene (I want the LOL button!) That would be fun to talk about the stories in the thread! We started to do that after August, I think, and then it sort of petered out. I guess what I was thinking when I made that suggestion about "most this and that" was that I'd love for each story to get some recognition and attention--each one contributes something unique!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    Yes! We can definitely do the superlatives in the thread as a way to discuss the works. I'm sorry that the discussion after August's challenge petered out. That was the week that all the stuff with my granddad happen, so I wasn't around for a bit to keep the discussion going. And I honestly forgot all about it in October for discussion the September entries. Sorry guys.

But we could totally do this!
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • Options
    Spottydog714Spottydog714 Posts: 2,518 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    ***So hard to vote***

What if, in addition to first, second, third, we had other categories?

Most terrifying...

Most intriguing...

Most likely to make us look at the day differently...

I guess I kind of ignored this. Didn't mean to. Actually I've been thinking about this since you posted it, but I realized y'all can't read my mind.

So when I first read this I took it as just sort of joking around about how hard it is to pick a favorite. So I didn't really think Cathy was trying to start a serious discussion about it. (Actually I still think that may be how you meant this @CathyTea Correct me if I was wrong :) )

But regardless it actually stuck with me. I'm not definitely changing anything but... what if we actually did change up the voting system. I'm not wanting to turn this into participation prizes or anything. I actually wouldn't mind doing away with the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd system and switching to a "Reader Favorite" "Most Original" "Outstanding New-Comer" "Best Screenshots" type of system. If this is something people would prefer we can nail down the exact categories later.

Hopefully I'm not stirring the pot too much. The system we have works just fine, so if y'all are happy with it that's what we'll stick with. Just thought I'd test the waters with this idea. Let me know what you all think.

(On a related note, this has all really got me to thinking that I'd like to do something to recognize someone very first entry into these challenges. So I might make a little banner for that. I just think it would be a nice gesture to show how welcoming we are to any new people who'd like to join it. And of course everyone who participated in any of the challenges already could use it as well.)

Ooo, that would be cool. Then I wouldn't have to confuse myself silly about taking all that into account before picking my favorite!

This month I'm taking a whole new approach and am trying to make you laugh, not scare you! I'm calling it 'The Mystery of the Misplaced Melacoo' Does anyone know how I can make that phase a link so I don't have to put the whole website address in a comment?
    EkpFDaf.png
    Stories: Looking For Mum's Murderer | The Bachelorette | Fifteen
  • Options
    Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    ***So hard to vote***

Most terrifying...

Most intriguing...

I guess I kind of ignored this. Didn't mean to. Actually I've been thinking about this since you posted it, but I realized y'all can't read my mind.

So when I first read this I took it as just sort of joking around about how hard it is to pick a favorite. So I didn't really think Cathy was trying to start a serious discussion about it. (Actually I still think that may be how you meant this @CathyTea Correct me if I was wrong :) )

But regardless it actually stuck with me. I'm not definitely changing anything but... what if we actually did change up the voting system. I'm not wanting to turn this into participation prizes or anything. I actually wouldn't mind doing away with the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd system and switching to a "Reader Favorite" "Most Original" "Outstanding New-Comer" "Best Screenshots" type of system. If this is something people would prefer we can nail down the exact categories later.

Hopefully I'm not stirring the pot too much. The system we have works just fine, so if y'all are happy with it that's what we'll stick with. Just thought I'd test the waters with this idea. Let me know what you all think.

(On a related note, this has all really got me to thinking that I'd like to do something to recognize someone very first entry into these challenges. So I might make a little banner for that. I just think it would be a nice gesture to show how welcoming we are to any new people who'd like to join it. And of course everyone who participated in any of the challenges already could use it as well.)

Ooo, that would be cool. Then I wouldn't have to confuse myself silly about taking all that into account before picking my favorite!

This month I'm taking a whole new approach and am trying to make you laugh, not scare you! I'm calling it 'The Mystery of the Misplaced Melacoo' Does anyone know how I can make that phase a link so I don't have to put the whole website address in a comment?

Use this (without the *)
    [*url="Your link here"]Your Phrase here[/url]
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    edited November 2015
    I love the idea of bringing back the discussion! I would have loved to talk about the September entries (and, selfishly, I would have enjoyed getting people's deeper thoughts on my story too) but obviously that ship has sailed :lol:

But bringing it back would be great! I loved all the October stories and would like to chat about them in more detail (and the "superlative" idea is very cute :)

Oh and I promise to try to go back and leave a comment on ALL the stories this month. I commented on ones of read earlier but then had to kind of rush through the others haha but I did love them!
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    ***So hard to vote***

Most terrifying...

Most intriguing...

@Carewren123 - Yes, you know me well and how I communicate! :)<3 I was sort of sideways venting about a) how hard it is to choose and b) how much I wanted to recognize all these stories. I was wasn't serious or actually suggesting a change, but I did sincerely wonder about and desire a way to recognize the ways in which each of these stories stands out. Every story excels and has something unique and exciting about it, and I'd love for there to be a way for us to appreciate the talent, care, skill and unique visions represented in these stories.

I love the idea of recognizing newcomers! That's really awesome!

I like the idea of first, second and third winners.

And then I like an Oscar's approach in addition: Best soundtrack! LOL!

And the categories wouldn't have to be the same each month (though I know the competitive types would want that... so they can aim at getting "Best Soundtrack." :smiley: and <3 to our writers who strive to win! )...

I was thinking that after voting, we could talk in the thread about what we loved about the works, but I know that what happens with me is once the voting is done, I mentally close the chapter and start focusing on the next short story.

Anyway, I'm always up for new things and also for keeping things the same! So... I support everything!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    ***So hard to vote***

Most terrifying...

Most intriguing...

@Carewren123 - Yes, you know me well and how I communicate! :)<3 I was sort of sideways venting about a) how hard it is to choose and b) how much I wanted to recognize all these stories. I was wasn't serious or actually suggesting a change, but I did sincerely wonder about and desire a way to recognize the ways in which each of these stories stands out. Every story excels and has something unique and exciting about it, and I'd love for there to be a way for us to appreciate the talent, care, skill and unique visions represented in these stories.

I love the idea of recognizing newcomers! That's really awesome!

I like the idea of first, second and third winners.

And then I like an Oscar's approach in addition: Best soundtrack! LOL!

And the categories wouldn't have to be the same each month (though I know the competitive types would want that... so they can aim at getting "Best Soundtrack." :smiley: and <3 to our writers who strive to win! )...

I was thinking that after voting, we could talk in the thread about what we loved about the works, but I know that what happens with me is once the voting is done, I mentally close the chapter and start focusing on the next short story.

Anyway, I'm always up for new things and also for keeping things the same! So... I support everything!

After this bit of discussion we've had I think that the best way to do these other "awards" is simply here in the thread. Not sure about the timing just yet, but I think we'd be safe in not influencing the vote (much) if we just wait until the poll has been open a day maybe two each month. That way we can do the discussion before the vote is completely wrapped up, everyone's minds are focus on the next challenge.

Most importantly I would want this to be fun and light-hearted. I'll see what I can come up with. :)
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • Options
    Spottydog714Spottydog714 Posts: 2,518 Member
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    ***So hard to vote***

Most terrifying...

Most intriguing...

Use this (without the *)
    [*url="Your link here"]Your Phrase here[/url]

OK, thanks! =)
    EkpFDaf.png
    Stories: Looking For Mum's Murderer | The Bachelorette | Fifteen
  • Options
    Okay guys. Sorry for the delay, but the October's vote has now closed (actually it closed about 14 hrs ago) I caught the cold that my boyfriend had been fighting, so I honestly just didn't feel like doing anything by laying down last night when it closed. Going to tally up the votes now. brb
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• Options
    October's Winners:

With a total of 22 votes counted, the results are in. But first I wanted to mention that there was a tie for 4th place (and it was very close to being a 3-way tie for 3rd). There was also only one point difference separating 4th and 5th, and again between 5th and 6th. I'm not saying this to tease you, but I don't want anyone to feel discouraged. If you're story didn't place, that in no way means that no one liked it. On the contrary there was not one story that someone didn't vote for as their pick for one of the top three. So rest assured that you're all awesome and each story was a welcome contribution.

Now I'll get to the point :)

3rd place goes to @ra3rei for "The Ghost of St. Martin's Hotel".

2nd place goes to @Julyvee94 for "No Escape".

And 1st place goes to @CathyTea for "Wishing Makes It So".

Congratulations to you three, and to everyone for sharing your writing with us all.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• Options
    Yay! Congrats to the winners! (And to everyone on their great stories :) )
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    Congrats to everyone, because all of the stories were awesome! ;)
  • Options
    Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    Omg I never believed that I would place :) Thanks to everyone ^^ and also Congrats to Cathy and ra3rei ^^
  • Options
    BBQPenguinWingsBBQPenguinWings Posts: 3,773 Member
    Congrats everyone and the winners!!
    @ra3rei @Julyvee94 @CathyTea
  • Options
    @CathyTea @Pegasus143 @munterbacon @picklesthecat114 @BBQPenguinWings @SummerFalls @ra3rei @KitDragonFlight @sabreene @JulyVee94 @Spottydog714 @mastressalita
    Okay so here's how I think the superlative awards thing could work. I did this real quick, so basically just the first thing I could think of for each story. This isn't official or anything, just for fun. And ideally some of the rest of you would like to share what "awards" you would give to each story. Have fun with it. And if this isn't your thing that's fine too, you can join the discussion of the works however you'd like to.

Wishing Makes It So: Most Wholesome/Heart-Warming. The ending was so satisfying, because it's pretty much exactly the ending I hoped for.

The Legend of Spooky Day: Most Creative World. I loved that this was a story that gave an alternate history of what the holiday. Have you really had these dual worlds in mind with all your other short stories as well? Incredible!

First Halloween: Most Love-Filled. I'll admit I actually cried when reading this. What an amazing way to honor her. And I'm really impressed that you kept the story fun and positive focusing on a way to spread the goofballism and happiness.

My Story: Most Unique/ Creepiest Pictures. You obviously had a very precise look you were going for. I wasn't sure at first that there were even any Sims in them, but of course there were. They were also unique in the fact that you used them as a direct part of your storytelling. Some of them even finished the previous sentence I believe. I haven't seen anyone do that before.

Evil Comes in Threes Cutest Star. Doesn't that say it all. She stole the show... literally. And I absolutely adore her. She was cute as the game-aware narrator and as the star of the story within your story. Adorable!

Revenge of the Lonely Witch Best Set (A joke since he used one of my builds ;)) Best Moral of the Story. Reminded me of classic fables. She learned a valuable lesson. And it was something that everyone can relate to I think, wanting to hurt someone who hurt you, but in the end realizing that's not the right thing to do.

The Ghost of St. Martin's Hotel Most Relatable. I say that because I'm very much the skeptic like the guy in your story. But sometimes the atmosphere can get to you regardless. The twist made me laugh, because I could see myself reacting the same way.

Haunted House of Black Tricks Most Diabolical I can't claim to be either #TeamMel or #TeamEv, because I haven't read Dust to Dust yet. (I think at this point I will just binge on the finished thing later this month :)) But I liked the idea of doing some fan fiction staring the sims from someone else's story.

The Taunting of Tabitha Jones Most Classic. Classic scary story that is. Real world setting... check. Skeptical yet frightened character...check. Scary moment/climax... check. Rational explanation... check. Ambiguous spooky ending... check. Awesome story... definitely check.

No Escape Most Goosebumps. The whole story was suspense filled, but it was the ending that gave me chills. Definitely had the feel of some of those super creepy urban legends.

The Vampire Of Willow Creek Most Surprising Ending/Happy Ending. I definitely didn't expect a story that begins so darkly to have a happy ending. I enjoyed that unique twist. And it was neat to see them all together in the ending/epilogue

The Stray Most Original Point of View/ Cutest Idea Ever. OMG the cats were telling the story!!! So cute! And it seems this is the style of an entire story of yours. Seriously that is the cutest idea ever. And it was a really enjoyable story that the daddy cat told too.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• Options
    Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    @Carewren123 The "split-worlds" concept actually works throughout everything I've written (I'm using the word split because "dual" usually implies two, which may or may not be the case). I first came up with the idea when I was working on fanfic, which had magic existing in the past, present, and future (relative to today's time). None of the movies that I was using really had a good explanation for how magic got there, so I ended up making up my own, which I continued to use.
  • Options
    Congratulations to @ra3rei and @JulyVee94 ! I really love your stories. And thank you to those who have shared congratulations :) !

@Carewren123 Your award list is so awesome! This is just what I was trying to think of how to do, and what a great solution! I love this! What a perfect way to honor each story and writer!

I'll post my award list later! :)

• Options
    mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    Congratulations to the winners, and everyone else for the wonderful stories! When I got home from work Halloween night, I felt tired from a full work day and not up to doing much, so I just settled in and binge-read all the entries that evening! I consider that a perfect Halloween, myself!

I plan to come back and give better comments and superlatives of my own but I need some brekky in my stomach and to write up a play-by-post I've owed for over a week (🐸🐸🐸🐸 you Daily Chronic Headache Disorder!) but I wanted to make sure congratulations were in order first and foremost! I shall return with a longer comment on the entries later!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
  • Options
    BBQPenguinWingsBBQPenguinWings Posts: 3,773 Member
    @Carewren123 aww thank you

I agree with your superlatives. They highlight the uniqueness of each story.
  • Options
    sabreenesabreene Posts: 1,152 Member
    Yay!!! Congratulations @CathyTea @Julyvee94 and @ra3rei !!! Such wonderful stories!!!

And I love your superlatives @Carewren123 I agree so much! I'm just popping in quickly right now, but had to give a big shoutout to our winners!! I'll be back later this evening and add a few superlatives of my own! yay!
  • Options
    StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    Awww. After seeing @Carewren123 list I wish I'd been able to get mine down to the word limit. Oh well there's always other months.
  • Options
    Awww. After seeing @Carewren123 list I wish I'd been able to get mine down to the word limit. Oh well there's always other months.

It's okay, ineligible entry buddy. :heart: I'm in the same boat :lol:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

It's okay, ineligible entry buddy. :heart: I'm in the same boat :lol:

thats the problem with creative people so many ideas are hard to fit in just a few words.
  • Options
    (By the way, @Carewren123 your "superlative" choices were great! I don't think I could come up with such creative ones if I tried :lol:)
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    (By the way, @Carewren123 your "superlative" choices were great! I don't think I could come up with such creative ones if I tried :lol:)

you won't know unless you try.