Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @CitizenErased14: the only thing I'd change is manipulating and priming her from a "probably" to "definitely". Yes, he could have easily overpowered her the night they met, had his way with her, and scrammed (or taken her prisoner in Cosavo's basement, who knows?) But he was acting extremely inappropriate towards her from the start. He cuddles with her, is liberal with hugs, and likes to sniff her hair. It gets this very naive and innocent teen to think about him in other ways than just being a cool surrogate dad.

@rednenemon: not even having a nose made him any better.

@AdamsEve1231: PUPS <3

I've probably answered this before but meh. :p Here's the sordid past no one knows though.

I suffer from seizures (which really picked up when I was a teenager) and had a head injury when I was 16. I also lost someone close to me right before that (my fave high school teacher...it was sudden and he got me through a lot). So I combined those ideas together and the first draft of Uptown was about epilepsy and a teacher/student romance. The latter didn't happen to me of course and now I don't condone, but it felt like a logical way to dramatize that dynamic, and I was stoopid and young and thought of it as something that could be taboo yet cool and not creepy.

Sorry for the pity party. Anyways, I got better in some ways (not in others) and even a few years made me think about the characters in a more realistic and nuanced way. The Thu character became less of a tragic broken bird that no one understood and took on this edge of being delusional and manipulative. The Axel character became less of a passive narrator and observer and had a dark reason to stick with this girl and tell her story. And the Andrea character was stripped of most of his sympathetic qualities. Everyone was aged up with me too. Instead of the story taking place in a high school, Axel is my age (it's true) and Thu is not that much older.

And there was little game influence, though there are moments where I go into a chapter with loose ideas and come up with ideas for what the characters do or are there for on the fly. Otherwise everyone's stripped of their autonomy and meticulously posed.

@RipuAncestor: get well soon and thank you. <3
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Thank you for sharing, @InfraGreen. I didn't think that was pity party. I'm glad you're still here and writing and participating in this community. I'm super fascinated with hearing the back story to people's stories. It reveals a lot about the author and their intentions, and the meaning of the story. I can see you in Uptown.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    I suffer from seizures

ionce mentioned in the lounge that i'm epeleptic. i used to have seizures when i was younger there controlled with medicine. i had it since birth s without my brother my childhoodmight not have been normal . my parents were slightly over protective. my brother had no idea what epilepsy was . then when he was nine i goofed and stayed up all night causing my medication to fail . i was 18 and just wanted to try being normal. i don't do that anymore i think its because i choose not to have roomate so if i want to stay healthy i have to be responsible. being alone helps.

your braver than i am. last time i explored gay charcters for the first time but i have yet to write about epilepsy. or hydrosefulus. . i spelled tht wrong . it easy to feel sorry for yourself when you focus on what makes you differnt but when you think about it everyone is differnt life would be boring if everyone was exactly the same.

like your braver than me and tackle subjects i get afraid too. so despite your condition you manage to get readers passionate not only about the good guys but the bad guys too. so try not to pity yourself and focus on the things you enjoy.
  • Options
    My brother in law has a seizure disorder compounded by mental health issues (some that are a side effect of the seizures and others that came later). I can sympathize, even though I can't empathize.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    @friendsfan367: <3 I dunno how common that "being normal" period of rebellion is but I had a friend who did something similar (yet even worse) and refused to take the anti-rejection meds for his kidney transplant out of an act of teenage rebellion. I actually thought of him when fleshing out Mike, but I figured Mike found a different way to rebel.

Though being gay too, that's easier to write about, especially in simlit since same-sex relationships have been a part of The Sims since day 1. Sadly their only foray into any disability or lifelong illness was including canes in TS3 (and then that was only for elders).

And passion is important to wring out of readers, whether you're putting your own IRL problems into it or not. :)

@AdamsEve1231: oh dear I've technically been writing simlit since 2012 and I've accepted that I can't leave. No other community has been able to take its place. <3

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    @friendsfan367: <3 I dunno how common that "being normal" period of rebellion is but I had a friend who did something similar (yet even worse) and refused to take the anti-rejection meds for his kidney transplant out of an act of teenage rebellion. I actually thought of him when fleshing out Mike, but I figured Mike found a different way to rebel.

Though being gay too, that's easier to write about, especially in simlit since same-sex relationships have been a part of The Sims since day 1. Sadly their only foray into any disability or lifelong illness was including canes in TS3 (and then that was only for elders).

And passion is important to wring out of readers, whether you're putting your own IRL problems into it or not. :)

@AdamsEve1231: oh dear I've technically been writing simlit since 2012 and I've accepted that I can't leave. No other community has been able to take its place. <3

mine was just that one time. i did take my meds but because i stayed up they failed.
  • Options
    @friendsfan367: good, I was worried. :p

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options

i'm always afraid to explore gay relationships. because i'm afraid that even though i support it i'll write it wrong. last game i found out akira keebo was gay he was ericas dad ericas mom maggie was dating adrien. so its the first time i wrote about it. or tried to my save broke.
  • Options

i love your siggy. i finally have a day off adulting is overated.
  • Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member

i love your siggy. i finally have a day off adulting is overated.

I agree. It's a lovely signature @InfraGreen . The siggy was what attracted me to the story. That and the title.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    @friendsfan367: nah, you handled Akira well. Facing writing fears is fulfilling and I recommend it for everyone (mine was actually mystery and telling things out of order. I once felt bad because an early story of mine made sense to no one for those reasons but instead I took that and resolved to do it better)

And I have a normal five day work week this week. I want my paid snow days instead. :(

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    @simscognito: thanks! I need a new one for Part Three though. :o

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    @friendsfan367: nah, you handled Akira well. Facing writing fears is fulfilling and I recommend it for everyone (mine was actually mystery and telling things out of order. I once felt bad because an early story of mine made sense to no one for those reasons but instead I took that and resolved to do it better)

And I have a normal five day work week this week. I want my paid snow days instead. :(

yes but you have to make up snow days :)
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Hi, everyone! I've got a Coffee Hour question for you!

Readers: What has been your biggest surprise so far in reading "No Stars"?

Writer: What's been your biggest surprise about writing it OR what's been your biggest surprise about readers' responses?
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    @friendsfan367: I actually don't but my trade off is working year-round.

@CathyTea: the only surprising reader response that comes to mind right now is...
    All but two people failing to guess that Andrea pursued Thu as a teen. @Arrowleaf and @CitizenErased14 were smart cookies. Lots of other things were read into that didn't need to be.

And my own personal writing surprise is how easy it is to be swayed by public opinion. Of course Axel and Thu were always going to be crazy but readers picked up on how badly it could become and a lot of conjecture helped form future plans. Otherwise it would have been a lot softer.

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    @friendsfan367: I actually don't but my trade off is working year-round.

@CathyTea: the only surprising reader response that comes to mind right now is...
    All but two people failing to guess that Andrea pursued Thu as a teen. @Arrowleaf and @CitizenErased14 were smart cookies. Lots of other things were read into that didn't need to be.

And my own personal writing surprise is how easy it is to be swayed by public opinion. Of course Axel and Thu were always going to be crazy but readers picked up on how badly it could become and a lot of conjecture helped form future plans. Otherwise it would have been a lot softer.

Oh dear I knew it was the readers to blame! :D
  • Options
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Hi, everyone! I've got a Coffee Hour question for you!

Readers: What has been your biggest surprise so far in reading "No Stars"?

Writer: What's been your biggest surprise about writing it OR what's been your biggest surprise about readers' responses?

well trip actualy told me this through a conversation we wehad with plumbob but i was supriesed andrea is not likeable.

i read from the end of the story which keeps getting longer so he wasn't around anymore.
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    For me the most jaw dropping revelation was...
    That the Cote kids are Thu’s stepkids

It’s one of the few times when my mouth literally fell open while reading a story haha (and I then proceeded to message Trip and flip out over her brilliance hahaha)
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    For me the most jaw dropping revelation was...
    That the Cote kids are Thu’s stepkids

It’s one of the few times when my mouth literally fell open while reading a story haha (and I then proceeded to message Trip and flip out over her brilliance hahaha)

I totally agree. I thought, "wait what??" then proceeded to read everything before it again to pick up on hints xD
    Still, I'll never get over the Many Reveals of Andrea. I freaked out over him having dated Thu as a minor, then again when I realised he genuinely loved Thu. It might be weird, I know, but when I think '🐸🐸🐸🐸' I think of a creepy old 🐸🐸🐸🐸, not someone who is in love with a child. My bad entirely :/
    All his faults aside, the way you wrote Andrea is just amazing. All the subtle hints dropped of him, then the ugly truth follows onto the head like an anvil. Love it!!
  • Options
    BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    Oh dear they censored the p word. Well I'm sure it's clear in context xD
  • Options
    @chalicen: there are two words to fit and I'm thinking of them both. :blush::cold_sweat:

I've spoken with @CitizenErased14 a lot about if Andrea loved Thu or not, even if he preyed on her when she was vulnerable and a minor. I question if he was capable of true love but Thu made him feel something close to it. A need to care and protect her, at least.

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    @chalicen: there are two words to fit and I'm thinking of them both. :blush::cold_sweat:

I've spoken with @CitizenErased14 a lot about if Andrea loved Thu or not, even if he preyed on her when she was vulnerable and a minor. I question if he was capable of true love but Thu made him feel something close to it. A need to care and protect her, at least.

do you think thro and axel are capable of love not necessarlily with each other but their both troubled so i wondered.
  • Options
    @ chalicen: there are two words to fit and I'm thinking of them both. :blush::cold_sweat:

I've spoken with @ CitizenErased14 a lot about if Andrea loved Thu or not, even if he preyed on her when she was vulnerable and a minor. I question if he was capable of true love but Thu made him feel something close to it. A need to care and protect her, at least.

do you think thro and axel are capable of love not necessarlily with each other but their both troubled so i wondered.

Oh I think they're capable of love, even now. It's just not good for them.

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    My shocking moment was how much I enjoyed it. No seriously, and I mean that as a compliment. It's more than just a "train wreck can't look away." The writing is both gritty realistic and strangely captivating. I feel sorry for Thu. I worry for Axel. I wonder about many of the other characters and I want to know more. This isn't my usual reading fare, but then again, neither was Eight Cicadas and I ended up loving that story so I shouldn't be surprised.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    My shocking moment was how much I enjoyed it. No seriously, and I mean that as a compliment. It's more than just a "train wreck can't look away." The writing is both gritty realistic and strangely captivating. I feel sorry for Thu. I worry for Axel. I wonder about many of the other characters and I want to know more. This isn't my usual reading fare, but then again, neither was Eight Cicadas and I ended up loving that story so I shouldn't be surprised.

i tried reading racket rotter first. never got past the first part.it scared me for 3 months, by part i mean chapter. then i came across axel one night. probably the night trip set him on fire or attempted too. but instead of reading i named it things trip does to axel.

now i know its uptown but i think plumbob and i named things trip better not do to axel.