Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    Rockannie wrote: »
    Random question but I'd love to know how everyone got into Simlit originally :) And maybe what has been your most rewarding moment related to your Simlit

I started SimLit because i saw all the stories people were making and i was so inspired i decided to do one of my own. Now i'm working on 2 (Soon to be 3).

Omg that is so sweet. Ooh what's the third story about?
    And serious question: how do you all manage more than one story at the same time?

ayden won't let me. hes what i call a demanding little bugger.

@friendsfan367 I know right? What if you have demanding little sims that are time consuming?
    But come on. Ayden's a rather adorable attention seeker. XD
    On another note, I think the Benders are influencing Alex. He's starting to think clothes are an option, now... :D

whos alex? its not like whos paris. i forgot who paris was alex i never read aboutl

Sorry, Alex is from my simLit. He's the one on the left in the banner.
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    Anyone want to write gen 3 of BL for me? I can't write relationships...I want to but it's not a natural ability of mine. It's required for the story and I'm trying really hard but I'm really afraid of messing up like last time (For reference: BL, 3.14). :(

@Bugsie2016 . I'm willing to help if you like, but I'm sure you're doing fine. :)

In my current mood, I'd give up writing the entire story because I'm that fed up with it right now.

How about I read what you have done and make suggestions, if I need to. But I think you'll be just fine. :)

I'm gonna give it a break and then come back to it (I'm super serious about not giving away spoilers...)
  • Options
    Hi @Bugsie2016! How are you?
    Hey everyone!

Hi there! :) What are you up to today?

Hey @Simslover163 & @IchigoUsagi ! Just got back, read my simlit for today and now back in CAS with my gen 3 heiress...

Edit: Meant gen 3 heiress not gen 4 (there won't be a gen 4 heiress in BL as I changed mine to equality). You can tell I've been busy today...

CAS is always fun! I need to head in there to make some sims for the first chapter of my third SimLit, as well as one sim for the second chapter of Moon Logic. I also have to do some building/decorating later because I decided to write a penthouse into my third SimLit. :sweat: I'm not great at building so I'm probably just going to renovate an existing penthouse.

@IchigoUsagi But what about that cool pic you showed us - one of your early pics from an old simLit and I commented on the awesome building in the background?

Well, I do try to build occasionally, but like I said, that building was basically a box with a roof and door. It served its purpose, but it wasn't anything great. :sweat_smile:
    Random question but I'd love to know how everyone got into Simlit originally :) And maybe what has been your most rewarding moment related to your Simlit

Oooh, good question! For me it was when the sims website spotlighted @pammiechick 's amazon challenge way back in... I think it was 2015? I started reading that and got inspired to do one of my own. I'd always enjoyed writing and merging that with the sims just seemed like a lot of fun. The end result was a story that wasn't very well thought out, and didn't last very long. I used a lot of alpha cc back then and it started crashing my game so I had to delete it. :sweat:

I agree with @Karilan , the most rewarding part of it is definitely being able to interact with awesome people who I share interests with (sims and writing)!

It still looked awesome. :blush:

Ah, thanks! :smile: I think that's probably mainly due to the wallpaper cc I had at the time- it made the building look more interesting than it was. I've recently caved and gotten build/buy cc again because I need a recording studio for my new SimLit. I found a perfect set of cc for it and couldn't resist! :sweat_smile:

I know right? You and Bugsie have got me into cc hair and now I can't stop! :D
  • Options
    Anyone want to write gen 3 of BL for me? I can't write relationships...I want to but it's not a natural ability of mine. It's required for the story and I'm trying really hard but I'm really afraid of messing up like last time (For reference: BL, 3.14). :(

@Bugsie2016 . I'm willing to help if you like, but I'm sure you're doing fine. :)

In my current mood, I'd give up writing the entire story because I'm that fed up with it right now.

How about I read what you have done and make suggestions, if I need to. But I think you'll be just fine. :)

I'm gonna give it a break and then come back to it (I'm super serious about not giving away spoilers...)

No probs, but if you have any questions, feel free to pm me. :)
  • Options
    IchigoUsagiIchigoUsagi Posts: 822 Member

I started SimLit because i saw all the stories people were making and i was so inspired i decided to do one of my own. Now i'm working on 2 (Soon to be 3).

And serious question: how do you all manage more than one story at the same time?

I think for me it's more a case of 'how do I limit myself to three stories'? :D I have way too many ideas!

In all seriousness, though, in my case I feel like I'd have trouble sticking to only one story without getting burnt out. I like experimenting with different genres and character types that wouldn't all fit into just one story. As for managing it, I trying to make sure I divide my time pretty equally between the stories and always have a backup chapter when I post one. For example, if I post a chapter of my first story it means I have a chapter of my second story ready. Then once I'd have a chapter written for my third I'd post the one for the second, and so on and so forth.
  • Options
    Karilan wrote: »

Believe it or not, sometimes I have difficulty with this! If I write a chapter each week for all 3 of my stories, I think it's noticeable how much my mood and tone bleeds through between stories. I'm working on avoiding that!

I've tried 2 different methods to get in the right frame of mind for a story when I have a lot going on:

1. Marathon writing sessions. Especially in the case of Glassbolt, first I play the entire gen and take as many screens as I can. I take notes as I play to keep track of where the story is going. Then I write the entire generation from start to finish, to be published slowly later. This can be challenging because I'm limited by the screens I took. I do marathon writing sessions for Pine Point too. I have a very long plot worked out in point form to keep me on track. Since Pine Point is story driven, I work on the screenshots later.

2. If I'm coming back to a story after a while or flipping between stories on the same day, I'll go back and reread the last chapter I posted or wrote to refresh my memory. On the coat tails of that inspiration, I shut off all other distractions and start to write exactly where the last chapter left off. I think this makes for a much less jarring effect for marathon reading.

Wow, that's interesting @Karilan . Thanks for that. It does sound like a lot of work though, but I'm impressed with your perserverence. :)
  • Options
    Hey everyone!

Hey @Simslover163 & @IchigoUsagi ! Just got back, read my simlit for today and now back in CAS with my gen 3 heiress...

Edit: Meant gen 3 heiress not gen 4 (there won't be a gen 4 heiress in BL as I changed mine to equality). You can tell I've been busy today...

CAS is always fun! I need to head in there to make some sims for the first chapter of my third SimLit, as well as one sim for the second chapter of Moon Logic. I also have to do some building/decorating later because I decided to write a penthouse into my third SimLit. :sweat: I'm not great at building so I'm probably just going to renovate an existing penthouse.

@IchigoUsagi But what about that cool pic you showed us - one of your early pics from an old simLit and I commented on the awesome building in the background?

Well, I do try to build occasionally, but like I said, that building was basically a box with a roof and door. It served its purpose, but it wasn't anything great. :sweat_smile:

Oooh, good question! For me it was when the sims website spotlighted @pammiechick 's amazon challenge way back in... I think it was 2015? I started reading that and got inspired to do one of my own. I'd always enjoyed writing and merging that with the sims just seemed like a lot of fun. The end result was a story that wasn't very well thought out, and didn't last very long. I used a lot of alpha cc back then and it started crashing my game so I had to delete it. :sweat:

I agree with @Karilan , the most rewarding part of it is definitely being able to interact with awesome people who I share interests with (sims and writing)!

Ah, thanks! :smile: I think that's probably mainly due to the wallpaper cc I had at the time- it made the building look more interesting than it was. I've recently caved and gotten build/buy cc again because I need a recording studio for my new SimLit. I found a perfect set of cc for it and couldn't resist! :sweat_smile:

Yeah, cc shopping sprees can be dangerous! Some days I'll spend hours just scrolling through Tumblr and downloading maxis match hair and clothing. :sweat_smile:
  • Options

I think for me it's more a case of 'how do I limit myself to three stories'? :D I have way too many ideas!

In all seriousness, though, in my case I feel like I'd have trouble sticking to only one story without getting burnt out. I like experimenting with different genres and character types that wouldn't all fit into just one story. As for managing it, I trying to make sure I divide my time pretty equally between the stories and always have a backup chapter when I post one. For example, if I post a chapter of my first story it means I have a chapter of my second story ready. Then once I'd have a chapter written for my third I'd post the one for the second, and so on and so forth.

@IchigoUsagi That's a good strategy to have too. :)
    Hey everyone!

Yeah, cc shopping sprees can be dangerous! Some days I'll spend hours just scrolling through Tumblr and downloading maxis match hair and clothing. :sweat_smile:

Yep. That was me the other day. I need more long hair for males!!!
  • Options
    LyricSimsz15LyricSimsz15 Posts: 13,136 Member

The third story is gonna be about Vampires as i plan to get it this/next month. I don't know what to write about with the vampires though! I need ideas. :D
    As for the second question: I'll pick certain days of the weeks to do updates. UnderLove is gonna be plot driven (I forgot exactly but i think plot driven means i write the story and make my sims do what i wrote), and Color Legacy/the vampires story won't have screenshots so i'll just see what my Sims do and write it down.
    pN7cZBV.gif
    Just vibing...
    Check out my stories The Diversity Club and Lost Pride here on the forums!
  • Options
    KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member

Believe it or not, sometimes I have difficulty with this! If I write a chapter each week for all 3 of my stories, I think it's noticeable how much my mood and tone bleeds through between stories. I'm working on avoiding that!

I've tried 2 different methods to get in the right frame of mind for a story when I have a lot going on:

1. Marathon writing sessions. Especially in the case of Glassbolt, first I play the entire gen and take as many screens as I can. I take notes as I play to keep track of where the story is going. Then I write the entire generation from start to finish, to be published slowly later. This can be challenging because I'm limited by the screens I took. I do marathon writing sessions for Pine Point too. I have a very long plot worked out in point form to keep me on track. Since Pine Point is story driven, I work on the screenshots later.

2. If I'm coming back to a story after a while or flipping between stories on the same day, I'll go back and reread the last chapter I posted or wrote to refresh my memory. On the coat tails of that inspiration, I shut off all other distractions and start to write exactly where the last chapter left off. I think this makes for a much less jarring effect for marathon reading.

Wow, that's interesting @Karilan . Thanks for that. It does sound like a lot of work though, but I'm impressed with your perserverence. :)

To clarify, when I say marathon - I don't mean all in one day! I'll often try to have a few chapters ahead in my stories so that I can focus on one story for a few days without any other creative interruption. :) I have definitely been finding reading my own work or reviewing old screenshots helpful to get into the right mood for a new chapter.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options

The third story is gonna be about Vampires as i plan to get it this/next month. I don't know what to write about with the vampires though! I need ideas. :D
    As for the second question: I'll pick certain days of the weeks to do updates. UnderLove is gonna be plot driven (I forgot exactly but i think plot driven means i write the story and make my sims do what i wrote), and Color Legacy/the vampires story won't have screenshots so i'll just see what my Sims do and write it down.

@LyricSimsz15 Ooh vampires! I loooovvvee stories about vampires. I'm sure you can figure something out. :) What I like to do when I need ideas is to do a big brainstorm and write anything down! Another thing I do is play a game. So I pick a song, a tv show/film, and a book and I try to mesh all the themes together, or find a common pattern, but basically the story is inspired in some way by those three things I picked out. XD

Oh cool! That's another good way to manage more than one story. I've checked out UnderLove. It sounds quite fun. I have a couple of friends into Homestuck. XD
  • Options

To clarify, when I say marathon - I don't mean all in one day! I'll often try to have a few chapters ahead in my stories so that I can focus on one story for a few days without any other creative interruption. :) I have definitely been finding reading my own work or reviewing old screenshots helpful to get into the right mood for a new chapter.

@Karilan yessss!!! Reading your own work is always useful. I do that too, but mostly to make sure that all the chapters are flowing properly, and to pick out mistakes (I'm a bit like that. XD). I've never thought of it that way, but I suppose reading previous chapters does get you into the mood, since you're thinking in that world when you're reading. That's still impressive. Keeping ahead is really useful, if anything to keep the stress levels down. XD
  • Options
    LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,263 Member
    #BUILDNEWCREST CHALLENGE: SIMSELF LEGACY EDITION

- Day 70

A very short chapter showing Joseph ( @LegacySims2017 ) and Clare ( @Cbear13 ) embracing their grandpa and grandma looks as they turn into elders. We also say goodbye to another sim selfie as Megs ( @Meggles ) passes away. :(

02-04-18_10-08-27-PM.png?w=800
  • Options
    AvieLeagueAvieLeague Posts: 37 Member
    Hey everyone!

OMG, I just fell down the cc rabbit hole looking for recording studio stuff for the challenge/story I just started. There is some seriously awesome stuff out there, isn't there? I think I got as excited about woo-woo pedals and loose cables as I usually do about new cc hair. :D Although I was amused after I started playing and realized one of the amps I used was actually a mini-fridge. My Sims keep interrupting their jams to grab a bowl of chips out of the amp.
    lv-banner-posterized.jpg
    Loud Voices: Sims and drama and rock and roll.
  • Options
    LyricSimsz15LyricSimsz15 Posts: 13,136 Member

@LyricSimsz15 Ooh vampires! I loooovvvee stories about vampires. I'm sure you can figure something out. :) What I like to do when I need ideas is to do a big brainstorm and write anything down! Another thing I do is play a game. So I pick a song, a tv show/film, and a book and I try to mesh all the themes together, or find a common pattern, but basically the story is inspired in some way by those three things I picked out. XD

Oh cool! That's another good way to manage more than one story. I've checked out UnderLove. It sounds quite fun. I have a couple of friends into Homestuck. XD

I already started up a poll on Google+ asking people for ideas. Hopefully i'll figure something out :P

UnderLove doesn't have anything to do with Homestuck though :P. But i guess they're similar in some cases. I don't know much about Homestuck.
    pN7cZBV.gif
    Just vibing...
    Check out my stories The Diversity Club and Lost Pride here on the forums!
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    edited February 2018
    #BUILDNEWCREST CHALLENGE: SIMSELF LEGACY EDITION

- Day 70

A very short chapter showing Joseph ( @LegacySims2017 ) and Clare ( @Cbear13 ) embracing their grandpa and grandma looks as they turn into elders. We also say goodbye to another sim selfie as Megs ( @Meggles ) passes away. :(

02-04-18_10-08-27-PM.png?w=800

yeah i'm younger than meggy. pretty sure in real life i'm the older one. lol. thank joseph now i'm cheered up.
  • Options

I already started up a poll on Google+ asking people for ideas. Hopefully i'll figure something out :P

UnderLove doesn't have anything to do with Homestuck though :P. But i guess they're similar in some cases. I don't know much about Homestuck.

@LyricSimsz15 Ahh, oops, sorry. I get the two mixed up, sometimes. Yeah they are quite similar. It's the art styles that get me. XD

Oh awesome, yeah, I'll sure you'll figure something out. XD
  • Options
    ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    Should I have my stories set up to auto post every day or every other day?
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member

I guess I got a bit addicted to playing Sims2, then when I went to the office, all I could think about was Sims! So I found some Sims stories online (Candy's uglacy and something by ephemeraltoast), and I'd read it on breaks and after I finished the tasks I needed to do.

I tried posting a few slideshows with stories in TS2--I always felt like writing took away from my precious game-play time! Then, in TS3, I tried writing a few legacies, but one got pulled because (I think...) there my SimSelf founder had an illegitimate child with D'Andre Wolf, and I sorta had a few lines about polyamory... Oh well. And the other legacy I was writing glitched out at gen 5, so I couldn't finish it!

Then, when Sims 4 came out, I really, really wanted to complete a legacy, and I figured that if I wrote it, I'd be inspired to finish it! I decided to do a blog because that way, I'd have control over the content, and if the forum went away or the censors objected to my esoteric philosophy (love, man! Peace, sister!), I could still write!

I completely thought I'd only write that one story... and that I'd stop once the legacy was done... little did I realize that 1, 082 posts, multiple blogs, and dozens of stories later (completed, active, and on hiatus), I'd still be writing strong! Now, it's a daily part of my life, and I find it a very rewarding creative outlet. It's part of my wellness routine now! :)

Which brings me to Cog's question...

For me, SimLit is my hobby. I don't want to be too strict with myself with my hobby (at least with this one--gardening and cello require a lot more discipline and structure). So, I enter into a bit of a dance with ideas. Ideas come to me, I offer my hand. If they take my hand, then it's an invitation to dance, and so I'll start the story! And if I don't, then it starts to interfere with life, as I'll be thinking about it too much! It's pesky! Once I start writing it, then it burrows down into germination-land, and I can do my life while it germinates, and when it sprouts, I write the next chapter. If I don't write it, then it rubs like a burr. (I know I'm mixing metaphors, but whee! Live wildly! :D )

The way I manage it is to write the story that sprouts... right now, I've got Puppy Love, Houseful of Hippies, and CareTake germinating, and Lighthouse is sprouting. Soon, I'll have caught up with Lighthouse, so I can attend to the next sprout.

The newness of each sprout pretty much keeps me energized.

Of course, I've got to balance this with the rest of life--so when things get busy or stressful, I might only focus on one or two stories. If I were a student, I'm not sure I could write at all, for all my energy would be pouring into my studies!

Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    Shadami wrote: »

@Shadami What do you think is best? I'd be happy with either. :)
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @simscognito @LyricSimsz15: Toby Fox worked with Homestuck's Andrew Hussie on a lot of things though, especially its music.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    AvieLeague wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

OMG, I just fell down the cc rabbit hole looking for recording studio stuff for the challenge/story I just started. There is some seriously awesome stuff out there, isn't there? I think I got as excited about woo-woo pedals and loose cables as I usually do about new cc hair. :D Although I was amused after I started playing and realized one of the amps I used was actually a mini-fridge. My Sims keep interrupting their jams to grab a bowl of chips out of the amp.

That is really funny! :D I wonder if any of the cc I got will turn out to be something unexpected.
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Shadami wrote: »

You could consider it. I'm having a bit of a challenge keeping up and keeping straight. I'm crazy about your ISBI, though, so I'd love a chapter a day for it!

With scheduling auto-posts, I think you need to weigh out what works for you... I've never been able to do it because I've got a routine where I add posts manually to TOCs and the home page, then I announce them in my thread here, and I sorta feel like I want to keep on pace with readers... I don't want to be way ahead of them with the writing. Part of my motivation to write is the whole act of posting.

So, as a writer, I'm just not willing to schedule my posts--I feel like it will get in the way of the process.

But as a reader, I love when writers schedule. I love to know that Saturday morning, I'll see a new chapter from @RosemaryMariee and I love that every Monday, @Karilan posts her nuggets of goodness! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    CathyTea wrote: »

I guess I got a bit addicted to playing Sims2, then when I went to the office, all I could think about was Sims! So I found some Sims stories online (Candy's uglacy and something by ephemeraltoast), and I'd read it on breaks and after I finished the tasks I needed to do.

I tried posting a few slideshows with stories in TS2--I always felt like writing took away from my precious game-play time! Then, in TS3, I tried writing a few legacies, but one got pulled because (I think...) there my SimSelf founder had an illegitimate child with D'Andre Wolf, and I sorta had a few lines about polyamory... Oh well. And the other legacy I was writing glitched out at gen 5, so I couldn't finish it!

Then, when Sims 4 came out, I really, really wanted to complete a legacy, and I figured that if I wrote it, I'd be inspired to finish it! I decided to do a blog because that way, I'd have control over the content, and if the forum went away or the censors objected to my esoteric philosophy (love, man! Peace, sister!), I could still write!

I completely thought I'd only write that one story... and that I'd stop once the legacy was done... little did I realize that 1, 082 posts, multiple blogs, and dozens of stories later (completed, active, and on hiatus), I'd still be writing strong! Now, it's a daily part of my life, and I find it a very rewarding creative outlet. It's part of my wellness routine now! :)

Which brings me to Cog's question...

For me, SimLit is my hobby. I don't want to be too strict with myself with my hobby (at least with this one--gardening and cello require a lot more discipline and structure). So, I enter into a bit of a dance with ideas. Ideas come to me, I offer my hand. If they take my hand, then it's an invitation to dance, and so I'll start the story! And if I don't, then it starts to interfere with life, as I'll be thinking about it too much! It's pesky! Once I start writing it, then it burrows down into germination-land, and I can do my life while it germinates, and when it sprouts, I write the next chapter. If I don't write it, then it rubs like a burr. (I know I'm mixing metaphors, but whee! Live wildly! :D )

The way I manage it is to write the story that sprouts... right now, I've got Puppy Love, Houseful of Hippies, and CareTake germinating, and Lighthouse is sprouting. Soon, I'll have caught up with Lighthouse, so I can attend to the next sprout.

The newness of each sprout pretty much keeps me energized.

Of course, I've got to balance this with the rest of life--so when things get busy or stressful, I might only focus on one or two stories. If I were a student, I'm not sure I could write at all, for all my energy would be pouring into my studies!

@CathyTea that's a good response. Yeah, I totally agree that writing should be fun and yeah, one of the main reasons why I only have one story going. XD Got to leave time for studying when uni starts up for real (which is in a month's time).

And yeah, totally agree about the energy thing. Writing for me is something I have to do to keep me sane. Otherwise RL would bog me down too much. :D

Okay, just noticed I have said 'yeah' three times in that post. :D
  • Options
    RockannieRockannie Posts: 219 Member

I can't quite remember....I think it might have been the ability to share the memories/photo albums. I think that was a feature in Sims 2? I've always been interested in writing, so it was a fun way to encorporate two hobbies at once!

As far as my most rewarding moment, I'm gonna be a sap and say it's all of you.
    Seriously, the friends I've found here have been so inspiring. This is the warmest subculture I've ever found on the internet, and considering the anonymity of the internet that's quite a feat. Your stories have provided me with so much entertainment, lessons, and emotions that I carry with me everywhere.

Aww. Yeah, I was so happy when I found this thread. It is like the nicest place to just chat and read others writings and get feedback and stuff.

Erm, mine is simple. I learnt about simlit while browsing the internet one night. I read a few sims 3 stories then read about 9 generations of @Jes2G 's pruett legacy (this was back in 2016 and I finished the final one July 2017) as well as Discovering Juliana way back before season 2 started.

So, then in late march to early April, I remembered those sims stories (I didn't know it was called simlit at that point...) and thought it would be fun to try. (I got sims 4 in January 2017). I understood WP already because I'd already made a WP site before in Jan of 2017 for something else. :)

This is actually why I love DJ so much!!

I also discovered the Heffners but I can't remember if it was before or after I started my story. I think it was before and might have been my trigger to start writing simlit..(I can't remember it was ages ago now..) If so, that makes two things I have to thank @Maladi777 for....

Edit: Because brain isn't working today...

OMG yes! I loooooove the Heffner legacy....speaking of I haven't checked up on it in quite a while.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top