Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does The Sims inspire you to write?

king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
I started writing at 10 years old, on our old computer, an Amstrad that we got 'second hand' off our uncle and it was so Old Skool, it didn't even have the internet (yes, there was a time before the internet)

Then in '99 we got out 'Tiny Computer' which was so high end, it could run The Sims with no issues, from that moment, my stories came to life on the computer screen, I wrote stories in TS1, TS2 & TS3. These Sims have opened my eyes to many ideas, they communicate with me spiritually and with some music, I can really start to write.

Anyway, often when I do write something, the characters appear in my game such as Kirsty & Jasmine:
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg

Anyway, I can't give too much away about what I am writing right now as the content is too 'adult' for these forums but this is a sneak peek and my ideas:
screenshot_original.jpg

So, has The Sims, any Sims game, encouraged anyone to write. The act of writing goes beyond even the earliest ideals of The Sims :smile:
Simbourne
screenshot_original.jpg

Comments

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    I got stuck for a very long time while working on Night Whispers. So, I created the family in my Sims2 game and also again in Sims3, hoping to get reconnected with them. Suffice it to say, it worked, in the long run. The piece is done and as you can see in my siggie, available.

I also was highly inspired when I made the move to TS4, to bring another of that same family into the new game to have him be my Legacy Challenge Founder. I was actively writing about that until I had a major mishap that scuttled my Legacy altogether. :( But, yes, Sims can inspire writing.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    The sims come first. Then, the writing. But yes, it really does. Sims makes great story fodder.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    I did in TS2, I used to take tons of pictures, put them in a powerpoint, add comments and send them to my friends. Kind of still doubting whether I'll continue my story in TS4 (several years later) or go on in TS2, since that's still on my pc. Yet, because of today's Sims 2 discussion, I'm more inclined to go back to TS2, also because I'm a little bored with TS4. Unfortunately I wrote my stories in Dutch, so I could share them, but you probably wouldn't understand everything. When I do continue, I plan to do it in English, especially if I eventually pick Sims 4.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    Yes, absolutely.

Sims is why I'm into writing now. I hated it for a long time because I'd been convinced I was bad at it, thanks to some awful teachers who just brutally beat my confidence down when I was just starting to enjoy it. But playing sims made me want to tell stories, which just started with pretty basic statements about my sims, but gradually evolved (now I more do both stories and just general comments on my sims, depending on what I want at the time). Now I love writing separate from the sims too, I just really love writing, and I'm really happy sims drew me back into it. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Actually the opposite I've been writing long before I started playing the sims. And I've been wanting to see my stories animated, So I was thinking of bringing my stories to life in the Sims 3, but I saw a trailer for the Sims 4 and the sims 4 definitely can portray the characters I have in mind. Now it just comes down to mainly Seasons, Pets, and Magic to actually create some depth and get the story rolling. I'm itching to just start now but till then I'm pre-making characters and builds and saving them to my library.

Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    No...
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Good feedback so far :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    No, but I do find myself thinking about the sims and their stories all the time. :) Like rn, I'm thinking about my sim in TS3 and whether or not he should marry his girlfriend or continue to be single and raise his toddler girl. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    Sue_D_NimSue_D_Nim Posts: 2,553 Member
    The Sims 3 inspired me to write, yes. This one, sadly, does not.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Some stories in the TS2 exchange made me want to, but I never really got around to it. I read a lot of really good and funny ones, though.

I did upload one in 2004, but it was pretty bad. I was a kid, so I thought it would be funny (and it was inspired by reading a MAD magazine), but it was actually really corny, now that I look at it. It got a 1-star rating, which made me delete the story.

Apart from that, I uploaded a few chapters of my legacy, which had 3.5 stars. In terms of creating something with a plot in mind and details prepared ahead of time, I haven't done so. :p
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've been writing a few legacies based on sims games from TS3 and enjoying the games.I get story and drama in the games based on challenges caused by weather and other challenges like city hall burning down and getting rebuilt.I have to create the story and drama though the game can throw in a few challenges with weather.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    PowerGirl02PowerGirl02 Posts: 96 Member
    YES! Wow... I'm really happy that others feel it too :)

I tried to do some legacies with TS3 (but it didn't work out really well... (game crashing and stuff)).
    But yes, I love The Sims and the game inspires me a lot :D
    Currently writing the Rosenberg Legacy <3 Ten generations of drama, emotions and romance~
  • Options
    trollnexustrollnexus Posts: 508 Member
    TS2 inspired some fantastic stories, and I used to spend a lot of my free time as a teenager just reading everyone's legacies, apocalypses, etc. Even now, I still occasionally reread my favorites, thanks to some site called Clock Watching. I didn't write my own sim stories back then because I was too shy. Now I don't write sim stories because I'm lazy :P

Like Astro said, though, I too find myself thinking about my sims during the day, wondering what they'll do next. I'm currently playing TS3 and having a blast with it, because there are large interconnected families who will surprise me every once in a while. Although I rarely take pictures or write about them, I at least get to have my "squee" moment when someone in town has unexpected twins ^___^
  • Options
    AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    I do think of backgrounds for my sims, but I never actually write them down.
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
  • Options
    KoumoriDiruKoumoriDiru Posts: 6,681 Member
    I used to write a story online using my Sims but not any more. Sometimes I think about writing more stories
    tumblr_nvbyvezH0b1uvyu9yo8_r1_400.gif