Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Exotic Animal Zoo EP: What’s Needed for a Very Good Zoo Expansion? (Pics)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
edited July 2015 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
There’s a response to the German Sims Team’s question “What’s needed for a very good Pets EP?”, but because of the way the question was asked, the response separates farms, zoos, and safaris out from a general Pets EP. There’s already a substantial thread on farm life started, but I think we could continue to develop ideas for zoos and safaris. So. . .

What’s needed for a really good Zoo EP? I think there are potentially two different types of zoos: exotic animal zoos and petting zoos. For an exotic animal zoo:

2lvjxpy.jpg

1.) It should be content rich. There should be more than just animals to look at, but lots of things for Sims and players to do. Lots of gameplay.
2.) Loads of exotic animals, of course.

j8yv51.jpg

3.) Many of the animals could be tied to cages, pens, enclosures, and tethers if necessary.
4.) Some of the animals should be free to roam and interact. Like peacocks, squirrels, and a renegade monkey.
5.) Lots of interactions with bound zoo animals: feeding, brushing, petting, mimicking apes (and vice versa), surprise 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and kisses, viewing, and playing with them through fencing.

1z53qdx.jpg
6.) Even more interactions with unbound zoo animals: an elephant or camel ride, getting lifted by elephants, loose monkey that could steal food or other items from your inventory if you have them and eat or play with them, tortoise rides, maybe an inter-species playground where apes and humans could play together, play chess with a great ape, etc.
7.) Large aviary that sims could walk through: observe birds, make bird calls, have some sit on their arms or shoulders, get pooped on for good luck, animal whisperers could commune with them or sing duets, and so on. Maybe Sims could zipline through it (to see high altitude birds and experience flying).
8.) If there is no petting zoo, then a butterfly house where Sims can view, chase, capture, and have butterflies land on them.
9.) Playground made from animal shapes.

3029qp4.jpg

10.) Zookeeper Occupation. This could include: acquiring animals for the zoo (possibly from exotic vacation locations if that is added as an EP option); feeding & grooming animals; cleaning cages; training animals; possibly running a zoo OFB/Zoo Tycoon style; catching fish to fill the aquariums; treating sick animals; performing shows; catching strays; making money for the zoo through OFB giftshop and/or concession stands.

zl3m0h.jpg

11.) Gift shop where you could buy: various animal themed items, books on animals/animal care, animal themed coloring books for toddlers, monkey house style tree with treehouse (for human kids), animal themed clothing, posters, animal gnomes, a new kind of safari music or animal calls to play on home stereos?, animal hats and costumes, animal balloons, animal ballhoppers, cage storage for stuffed animals, butterfly houses to raise butterflies (maybe having one of these would make the gardens self-fertilizing?), etc.

This could possibly be combined with a visitor center where Sims could get tickets and sign up for zoo tours conducted on animal trolleys and/or animal rides.

et6ycl.jpg

12.) Ability to build some enclosures via build-mode. Add some iron bars and/or mesh fencing to these. Add some glass walls for special tanks. Special category windows/pass-throughs can be added that allow Sim to animal exchanges like feeding. (You were thinking about doing more with windows like making line-of-sight peeping Toms, right?).
13.) Animal themed carousel or other ride:

b3x0tj.jpg

14.) Aquariums. Large aquariums for viewing and feeding various fish, sharks, or marine mammals. Maybe a zookeeper task could be filling the tank with fish caught?

29bkl84.jpg

15.) If an aquarium pack isn’t planned for the future, an open fish tank for kids (and adults) to pet, feed, and discover small sea animals like mantas, sea urchins, horseshoe crabs, sharks, etc.

10e0th4.jpg

16.) Concession stands that sell foods with animal names: elephant ears (funnel cake or palmier type), hot dogs, bear claws, monkey bread, phish food, Kit Kat, ratatouille, animal crackers, cow tales, monkey tails, lion bars, pigs in blankets, burrito, etc.
17.) Various facilities – bathrooms, picnic areas and tables, vending machines for animal pellets, balloon maker to make animal balloons, etc.
18.) Some kind of group activities. Maybe a life-size game of Hungry Hippos?

w18vx2.jpg

19.) Layout could feature a single large commercial lot with visitor center, gift shop, and concessions stand. The rest of the surrounding area could be the zoo broken up into a number of habitats. Rides (as previously mentioned) could be offered to tour the whole area:

1433uqb.jpg

20.) Should be a few ‘bad’ interactions too. Aviary birds could poo on Sims in aviary giving ‘good luck’ moodlet, kids could get splashed by animals in the petting tank, monkeys could steal inventory items, llamas and camels might spit on Sims trying to feed them, etc.

If animal feeding is permitted, I’d like to see kids being a bit squeamish about feeding them. (Not terrified, but a bit squeamish.)

21.) Feeding ducks, swans, and fish in lakes and ponds.
22.) Paint and photograph animals. Set up easels to paint animals from reference.
23.) Craft area where kids could paint animals or learn animal origami or plastic taxidermy? These skills could be acquired at the zoo and taken home to use at their activity tables to make origami or make animal chains to hang. This would be especially good if they could do it as a group and meet other kids and get their social up at the same time:

33k6w7n.jpg

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• Options
    EsnesNommocEsnesNommoc Posts: 1,243 Member
    Awesome post, and I appreciate the pictures. :smiley: I think it's hard to get this into an EP (since if they're gonna go with the Pets route, then two EPs that are both about animals is not very... viable?). Though I would love this to be implemented into a GP (or maybe even EP, but 2 Animals EPs though). :D I especially love your "Tycoon" ideas (number 10, 11, 15, 17 and 19). :kissing_smiling_eyes:
  • Options
    Thanks a bunch, @EsnesNommoc. They've made statements that indicate there should be more EPs than in previous games and game packs can be used to expand the game in smaller ways, so I'm hopeful that there is room for two animal EPs, maybe a standard pets + 1 (zoos, farms, or safaris). They could also use a game pack to add something smaller like an aquarium.

The truth is, though, that we're in the dark as to what they're working on and when they're working on it, so I thought on the off-chance that the question about Pets from the German Sims team might extend to other animals, we might as well get some ideas in sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    finefashionistafinefashionista Posts: 168 Member
    I think this is going too in depth into one small area for the Sims. I'd prefer they did more things but in a less developed way - as much as I love animals a pets expansion is enough for me. If I want to build a zoo, I'll load up Zoo Tycoon 3.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Not everyone will want a Zoo EP, and that's fine. Not every expansion suits everybody. But, I'd just like to point out a few things in case other people looking at this are having similar objections.

1. There have been indications from EA that there are likely to be more EPs than there have been with past versions, so a second zoo, safari, or farm EP wouldn't necessarily cut into other things that people want in their games.

2. Standard domestic pet type EPs have been done a couple of times already. For people looking for variety or novelty, this could be more interesting.

3. The ideas put forth here wouldn't necessarily require players to heavily manage their games.

• As always, if you don't enter a career track, you don't have to perform any of the duties.

• The existence of build tools wouldn't mean players would have to use them. The zoo area could come pre-built, so players uninterested in putting too much effort into creating a zoo wouldn't have to. Adding in build tools would, however, allow players to customize the zoo to their tastes, perhaps even making it more like a cage-free nature preserve than a zoo if they choose.

This is pretty much how standard neighborhoods are in the game currently. They are pre-built with houses and other facilities, and players don't need to modify them. They only do so if they choose to, and often they do choose to, so incorporating some build tools for a zoo EP is unlikely to be a waste.

• I would hope running and operating the Zoo would be an option. Players could visit the zoo without running it or purchase the zoo (or possibly even just the gift shop) and run it using some of the OFB mechanics if they choose.

4. Adding a multitude of options expands gameplay and can appeal to more players as not everyone is looking for the same thing.

5. Should EA decide to do a second animal EP such as this one, some of the things proposed may overlap with the mechanics and objects included in a Standard Pets, Farm Life, Safari, or Petting Zoo EP, so this wouldn't necessarily be as taxing on the team as it might seem at first glance.

6. This isn't an all or nothing proposition. I'd love to see it all incorporated into an EP, but if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. I'm sure the team has or would have a bunch of ideas of what they'd like to see realized in a Zoo EP should it be the direction they go in. My ideas may or may not mesh with the teams' own ideas and capabilities.

Likewise, I think some players probably have some interesting ideas, too. It would be great if everyone contributed those ideas.
  • Options
    How about the option go get around on something like those mechanical animals that are appearing in malls?

2mepd7a.jpg
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Yes yes yes I love these ideas. Have you submitted this thead to the German Sims Site?
  • Options
    No, @Catloverplayer. I don't have a Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Options
    paigechristinepaigechristine Posts: 96 Member
    I love the idea of a zoo EP and all of the things you mentioned for it. I'd be taking my sims kids everyday if we had it!

However, I highly doubt it will be done, and if it is it probably wouldn't be near as extensive as we'd like for it to be. With the small worlds we've gotten from GTW and OR it would likely just end up being a zoo, and that's about it. Probably not many other fun activities.
  • Options
    Zoo hotels where Sims could stay for a few days and even have an extra opportunity to see animals close-up. This might help address some of the feeling that needs decay too quickly on public lots to fully enjoy them. A place to rest and refuel and perhaps let different members of a Sims group go at their own pace might help.

33thy6r.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Was this a hint?

Edit: I also noted that it was tweeted the same day I posted this thread. Great minds. ;)
  • Options
    Ability to pet and interact with babies:

hts7it.jpg
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    All of this. And you know what I gotta say. Honey badgers.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I really would love this! This sounds very fresh of an expansion pack idea, also it could interest many players that are new to The Sims 4. So I definitely support your ideas! :smiley:
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Zoo Mascots:

jz8qae.jpg

We might be able to make good use of those bear costumes here. :D
  • Options
    If you make it so that some animals are objects (like babies), please make it so that multiple interactions can be done in series without having a pause to return the animal to the pen or enclosure the way the babies need to be returned to the bassinet between each action (feeding, changing, cuddling, etc.) I’ve read this is within your capabilities. ;)
    SimGuruMax wrote:
    One thing about babies I am displeased with is the fact that your Sims put them back down in-between actions. We have tech to solve this problem and somehow it just didn't end up happening. I would very much hope that we address that problem in the not-too-distant-future.
  • Options
    SimsdxSimsdx Posts: 210 Member
    OH MY GOD! Your ideas are amazing, especially the Zoo keeping one. They really need to add this in a Pets EP. @SimGuruGnome @SimGuruRyan
  • Options
    I am a simmer personI am a simmer person Posts: 2 New Member
    I feel like this wouldn't really be in the spirit of the game. Zoos keep animals captive and torture them, and to have something that even remotely resembles a zoo would really make me lose a lot of respect for EA.
  • Options
    Perhaps the butterfly habitat could be combined with a botanical garden where rare plants could be found:
    2q081zp.jpg

It would be great if the zoo, in general, had a park like/nature preserve setting:

2u6dvyx.jpg
  • Options
    Maxwell_CollinsMaxwell_Collins Posts: 143 Member
    Funny thing: This Expansion Idea appeared in my 8 Most Wanted List. Many of the approaches are quite similar (including inspiration from Zoo Tycoon 2), as well as a couple different approaches. Create-an-Animal was something I came up with, as well as a realistic adoption technique like we saw in Zoo Tycoon Xbox. You can't just buy the animals you want, because they might not be available when you need them.
    Also, before we see such an expansion, we need more terrain edits (height adjustment, water placement, etc.). Otherwise, enclosures would be extremely bland. Certain animals should be able to climb up/over certain objects (better pathfinding), and Z-Axis Diving underwater for everyone (even in pools, because pool depth does very little functionally). Both would portray realistic behaviors that are sorely needed for this expansion.
    I will be writing about this topic soon...
    My YouTube Channel
    Draconic Gaming

DeviantArt Page
    Lunispellweaver (will try to change it)

Some of my Threads:
    8 Expansions I Would Like to See in the Sims 4
    DragonSim

• Options
    Funny thing: This Expansion Idea appeared in my 8 Most Wanted List. Many of the approaches are quite similar (including inspiration from Zoo Tycoon 2), as well as a couple different approaches. Create-an-Animal was something I came up with, as well as a realistic adoption technique like we saw in Zoo Tycoon Xbox. You can't just buy the animals you want, because they might not be available when you need them.
    Also, before we see such an expansion, we need more terrain edits (height adjustment, water placement, etc.). Otherwise, enclosures would be extremely bland. Certain animals should be able to climb up/over certain objects (better pathfinding), and Z-Axis Diving underwater for everyone (even in pools, because pool depth does very little functionally). Both would portray realistic behaviors that are sorely needed for this expansion.
    I will be writing about this topic soon...

The terrain tools are a good point. I had had forgotten about them not being in Sims 4 yet, even though I was dreaming of a setting where they would be vital. They would definitely make a big difference in this kind of EP.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Kids’ activities for group table:

Making animal cutouts:
    4icy12.jpg

Animal Bingo:
    aymtd5.png

Mask making:
    2pz06ea.jpg

Plastic taxidermy:
    2s7j590.jpg

Paper mache animals and piggy banks (they could hold allowances should that be introduced):
    zbeyp.jpg

Animal Origami:
    eq788.jpg

Animal Cutouts:
    2ef2gpx.jpg

Paper bag puppets that could be used to hold puppet shows (fancy ones too):
    n1e0wl.jpg

Read animal popup books:
    swfzw3.jpg

Make birdfeeders and houses:
    11ifmuo.jpg

Make finger puppets:
    zwdzbl.jpg

Animal jigsaw puzzles:
    dm5lon.jpg

Make pinatas:
    33451g6.jpg

Maybe some make-believe games. For example, kids at the table could pull the string on a See-and-Say and then have to imitate that animal (sound and gesture):
    nvnwq8.jpg

Make a terrarium:
    bhf4v7.jpg

Mold clay animals:
    sb3e36.jpg

Make paper animal hats (for parties and fun):
    t6c6lt.jpg
  • Options
    awaywiththepxiezawaywiththepxiez Posts: 18 New Member
    After reading all your ideas... I WANT A ZOO EP. There is so much they could do with this.
    It would be cool if animals could escape from the zoo/enclosures and go on a rampage.
  • Options
    Natural Wonders radio station that played: ocean/water sounds, waterfall roaring, animal calls, dolphin and whale sounds, bird calls, chirping, owl hooting, crickets chirping, frog chorus, jungle sounds, cave water, rain forest burbling, and rain and thunder.

This would be good for Simmers to set ambiance in certain areas of the zoo, add atmosphere to parties, or simulate a natrual forest, jungle, or other outdoor setting.

Maybe an animal whisperer, veterinarian, or zookeeper would learn to make some animal calls.

• Options
    Zoo theme parties to tie in with the party-oriented direction the game has taken.

Perhaps slumber parties where kids and teens could wear animal themed PJs and slippers while watching Lion King and munching on hot dogs and animal crackers?

20idijo.jpg

Maybe a swank, upscale animal theme party to go with the new Luxury Party Stuff Pack? Animal print outfits, animal themed food and décor, and Simpagne?

dcsso0.jpg
  • Options
    Some ideas for party activities and decor:

Decorations
    Balloons, pinatas, arches, balloon animals, animal print balloons, streamers, stuffed animals, cardboard cutouts, and kazoos that make various animal noises.
    2nw1h5i.jpg

Food
    Animal shaped creations – cupcakes, suckers and lollipops, cookies, cakes, ice cream sundaes, and hors d'oeuvres.

Animal named items – elephant ears (funnel cake or palmier type), hot dogs, bear claws, monkey bread, phish food, Kit Kat, ratatouille, animal crackers, cow tales, monkey tails, lion bars, pigs in blankets, burritos, etc.
    25amcxw.jpg

Costumes
    masks, hats and headbands, animal print fashion wear, tails
    2wck900.jpg

Games
    Pin the tail on the donkey, leapfrog, animal piñatas, animal charades (one Sim acts like an animal, and the others hold up flash cards with their guesses). . .
    25oyu4k.jpg

Party favors
    Perhaps for attending the party kids and teens could get an animal backpack filled with a stuffed animal, animal mask, animal piggy bank, and noisemakers that made different animal noises depending on which one you got?

Adult party favors – animal ear headbands & tails, unlock a safari/zookeeper outfit, or a pair of binoculars.
    167mnt0.jpg