Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please don't make the same mistake with The Sims 4

joseiloaizachjoseiloaizach Posts: 298 Member
edited April 2015 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
I'm a fan of The Sims since I was 9 or 10 years. I've always been a fan of simulation games, especially if they are about buildings, urban design or landscaping. I think before playing The Sims, my addiction started with Theme Hospital, Theme Park and Simcity.

I started playing The Sims in 2004. It was amazing what you could do in Buy/Build Mode, at that time the tools were limited but I still loved it.

With The Sims 2, I was SURPRISED by all objects and Build Mode features, also for all changes to the Live Mode. But what I liked most was that I finally could BUILD COMMUNITY LOTS (already existed in TS1 but I didn't know). Then with the EPs I began to design and build shops, malls, restaurants, all kinds of places... and then I made my sims visited those places, I liked how NPCs make it work all my buildings. When Open for Business was released I was so happy for all new community objects. Bon Voyage was something awesome for me because now I could build hotels (although there were in TS Vacation, but back then I still had not played with TS1 expansions). Apartment Life was the best, I can finally build apartments!. All community objects in The Sims 2 allow you to build ANYTHING.

Then The Sims 3 came out. I had a HUGE hype, especially for the open world. Buy/Build mode was A DREAM. Everything was perfect for me until I tried "edit the world", what bothers me were restaurants, closed lots in an open world, that does not make sense. In TS2 I could build and visit grocery stores, bookstores... but everything was closed here.

I decided to give it a try. I liked the new features of World Adventures, but disappoints me that hotels were not technically hotels. Ambitions was great, I liked that I could build community laundries, salons, shops and fire stations. with "Late Night" my hype returns because I could finally build restaurants and apartments like in TS2, and recording studios like in TS Superstar!... nevermind. I enjoy many functions, especially basements, but everything was still limited. I decided to stop playing TS3 and stayed with TS2 and TS Complete Collection. I limited myself to watch the trailers of the expansions, everything was still limited, pet stores, resorts... the only thing I liked were the festivals of TS3 Seasons, the objects reminded me of TS Vacation. Yes, there are restaurants, amusement parks, but are content that we have to buy separately.

With The Sims 4 my love for the game has returned. Ignoring all that is lacking, I like the fact that the world is more alive, I also like how the sims express their personalities and the cartoonish style, It reminds me of TS2.

Currently in The Sims 4, community lots are no longer rabbits holes. Ignoring the fact that the world is no longer open, I like that I now have more freedom on building. I like that we now have more objects for gyms, playgrounds and that pianos are back!. Now with Get to Work we can open shops and with Outdoor Retreat we can build campgrounds like in Vacation and Bon Voyage. I also like that we can edit the workplaces even if they are hidden.

Please gurus, add more community objects to EPs and more lot types (community pools, grocery stores, restaurants...). and I would like some workplaces can be visited by any sim.

I hope that in the future we can build something like this:

screen006.jpg

Sorry if this post is very long, and sorry for my english.

SWB%2BBanner%2BForums.png

♦ Origin ID: joseiloaizach
♦ Blog: simwillbuild.blogspot.com
♦ Twitter: twitter.com/SimWillBuild
Post edited by joseiloaizach on

Comments

• Options
    ferret9005ferret9005 Posts: 1,361 Member
    I just want a whole town of empty lots!
  • Options
    PamhamletPamhamlet Posts: 5,556 Member
    Glad you are enjoying the game, OP! I have played all the versions and liked them all, and now I'm having fun with TS4, too. I have my main legacy family going in one save, a guy in the Detective career in another save, and now I'm playing a family (sister/brother) who are running a bakery shop. The boyfriend of the sister just had a baby alien from an abduction! Unexpected for sure, but he's cute and fitting in nicely! I think I will send them all on vacation soon to Granite Falls. Fun times! :)
  • Options
    ferret9005 wrote: »
    I just want a whole town of empty lots!

I would not want an empty world but with houses and community lots. I agree that we need more lots though.

I want something modern, I'm tired of living near forests and deserts.

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I don't understand the title of your topic. Who do you not want to make 'the same mistake'? EA or fans? Because imo they made a mistake the way they created Sims 4, imo they should have continued what they started creating Sims 3.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    yeah for me sims 4 should be a evolution from sims 3, with better graphis no more rabbitholes(even careers and schools) a much better ai and the emotions being "emotions" not a bad joke, world fixed without bad routes a 64 and 32 bits game that could make sims 4 perfect.
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    To the OP: For someone who is creative, I'm surprised that you can live with the limitations that we get when we try to build a community lot; that is, the lists of items the lot must have before the game recognizes the type of lot it is, whether it be a bar, a library, or any other venue. Furthermore, the library shelves are not available in buy mode; you can only get them if you use a cheat; Otherwise, you're stuck with using the Willow Creek library if you want a bookshelf that includes skill books.

I really don't see the Sims 4 as being better than the Sims 2 in this respect.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    edited April 2015

screen006.jpg

That picture brought back some great memories :-)

• Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    In TS3 the rabbit holes are primarily career lots. TS3 gave them a physical location, unlike TS2 and TS4, because what kind of sense would it be to have an open world and still have sims drive off to some invisible TS2-like rabbit hole when you have an entire town open to you. So EA made them visible.

However, TS3's big mistake was to make certain lots rabbit holes as well. The grocery store, spa, bookstore and bistro/diner are career lots too, but also serve double duty as stores. If EA had added interactive alternative to these few lots, rabbit holes would be a plus instead of negative. I don't have a problem with career rabbit holes as I like seeing a building instead of my sims teleporting off-screen. But those particular lots should not have been rabbit holes.

I really don't get why they could not understand this as we were telling them the whole time those lots should not be rabbit holes. :p
    Instead we got a consignment shop and a half-baked restaurant solution from The Sims 3 Store, as well as getting all our clothes for free.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited April 2015
    I hope EA doesn't repeat the same mistakes, but there are bugs that showed up in past Sims games that are appearing again. I just don't hope the Sims 4 isn't left with game breaking bugs that mods had to fix again. Mods are already doing game fixes for the Sims 4 as it is. I never had the same spark for a Sims game since the Sims 2.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    In TS3 the rabbit holes are primarily career lots. TS3 gave them a physical location, unlike TS2 and TS4, because what kind of sense would it be to have an open world and still have sims drive off to some invisible TS2-like rabbit hole when you have an entire town open to you. So EA made them visible.

However, TS3's big mistake was to make certain lots rabbit holes as well. The grocery store, spa, bookstore and bistro/diner are career lots too, but also serve double duty as stores. If EA had added interactive alternative to these few lots, rabbit holes would be a plus instead of negative. I don't have a problem with career rabbit holes as I like seeing a building instead of my sims teleporting off-screen. But those particular lots should not have been rabbit holes.

I really don't get why they could not understand this as we were telling them the whole time those lots should not be rabbit holes. :p
    Instead we got a consignment shop and a half-baked restaurant solution from The Sims 3 Store, as well as getting all our clothes for free.
    Though we had open consignment stores that you could sell pretty much anything in.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I'm a fan of The Sims since I was 9 or 10 years. I've always been a fan of simulation games, especially if they are about buildings, urban design or landscaping. I think before playing The Sims, my addiction started with Theme Hospital, Theme Park and Simcity.

I started playing The Sims in 2004. It was amazing what you could do in Buy/Build Mode, at that time the tools were limited but I still loved it.

With The Sims 2, I was SURPRISED by all objects and Build Mode features, also for all changes to the Live Mode. But what I liked most was that I finally could BUILD COMMUNITY LOTS (already existed in TS1 but I didn't know). Then with the EPs I began to design and build shops, malls, restaurants, all kinds of places... and then I made my sims visited those places, I liked how NPCs make it work all my buildings. When Open for Business was released I was so happy for all new community objects. Bon Voyage was something awesome for me because now I could build hotels (although there were in TS Vacation, but back then I still had not played with TS1 expansions). Apartment Life was the best, I can finally build apartments!. All community objects in The Sims 2 allow you to build ANYTHING.

Then The Sims 3 came out. I had a HUGE hype, especially for the open world. Buy/Build mode was A DREAM. Everything was perfect for me until I tried "edit the world", what bothers me were restaurants, closed lots in an open world, that does not make sense. In TS2 I could build and visit grocery stores, bookstores... but everything was closed here.

I decided to give it a try. I liked the new features of World Adventures, but disappoints me that hotels were not technically hotels. Ambitions was great, I liked that I could build community laundries, salons, shops and fire stations. with "Late Night" my hype returns because I could finally build restaurants and apartments like in TS2, and recording studios like in TS Superstar!... nevermind. I enjoy many functions, especially basements, but everything was still limited. I decided to stop playing TS3 and stayed with TS2 and TS Complete Collection. I limited myself to watch the trailers of the expansions, everything was still limited, pet stores, resorts... the only thing I liked were the festivals of TS3 Seasons, the objects reminded me of TS Vacation. Yes, there are restaurants, amusement parks, but are content that we have to buy separately.

With The Sims 4 my love for the game has returned. Ignoring all that is lacking, I like the fact that the world is more alive, I also like how the sims express their personalities and the cartoonish style, It reminds me of TS2.

Currently in The Sims 4, community lots are no longer rabbits holes. Ignoring the fact that the world is no longer open, I like that I now have more freedom on building. I like that we now have more objects for gyms, playgrounds and that pianos are back!. Now with Get to Work we can open shops and with Outdoor Retreat we can build campgrounds like in Vacation and Bon Voyage. I also like that we can edit the workplaces even if they are hidden.

Please gurus, add more community objects to EPs and more lot types (community pools, grocery stores, restaurants...). and I would like some workplaces can be visited by any sim.

screen006.jpg

Is that TS2 - I never had anything that looked like that in my game. That is cool.
  • Options
    Is that TS2 - I never had anything that looked like that in my game. That is cool.
    It is the Sims 1. It was a great game despite being in 2D. There were a lot of activities to do. I loved my Vacations EP. I still play it and enjoy the game.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    I hope EA doesn't repeat the same mistakes, but there are bugs that showed up in past Sims games that are appearing again. I just don't hope the Sims 4 isn't left with game breaking bugs that mods had to fix again. Mods are already doing game fixes for the Sims 4 as it is. I never had the same spark for a Sims game since the Sims 2.

Sadly Scobre, you never will have that spark like you had for Sims2, no matter the game or what sequel comes after it. Sims2 was revolutionary in regards from going from Sims1 to Sims2. Think of all the things that game did. It added aging, toddlers, death ... it exploded what Sims1 was. Nothing can ever fully capture that spark, and while some might get close that surprise factor just won't be.

And in some regards, I do think the modding community is to blame in part of what EA has done. EA has learned that it does not need to fix bugs ( not all of them ) because someone in the modding community will. Look at Sims3 for an example. They never fixed story progression and many cannot play without NRAAS or overwatch.

Mods should be there to fine-tune the gameplay, not to fix what is broken.
  • Options
    emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    screen006.jpg

*faints* where can I get one of 'em shopping district places? *drools* it's soooo perfect.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • Options
    LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member
    emmaning wrote: »
    screen006.jpg

*faints* where can I get one of 'em shopping district places? *drools* it's soooo perfect.
    You'll have to build it yourself in TS1... but you'll do it with the best buildmode music ever.

• Options
    Gruffman wrote: »

Sadly Scobre, you never will have that spark like you had for Sims2, no matter the game or what sequel comes after it. Sims2 was revolutionary in regards from going from Sims1 to Sims2. Think of all the things that game did. It added aging, toddlers, death ... it exploded what Sims1 was. Nothing can ever fully capture that spark, and while some might get close that surprise factor just won't be.

And in some regards, I do think the modding community is to blame in part of what EA has done. EA has learned that it does not need to fix bugs ( not all of them ) because someone in the modding community will. Look at Sims3 for an example. They never fixed story progression and many cannot play without NRAAS or overwatch.

Mods have existed since the Sims 2. I don't blame them. I don't know why EA does the things it does. They won that golden poo award themselves. So I'd blame EA just for being EA. Corporations now generally like to take the easiest and cheapest approach. In order for EA to change business norms would have to change. Why I don't like working in the corporate environment myself. I prefer small businesses. Story progression in the Sims 4 is going through the same issues the Sims 3 had, so it's frustrating and there is a master controller mod for it again.

Yeah I'm realizing there may never be a Sims game like the Sims 2 ever again. I just would love to be proven wrong especially after playing 15 years. Maybe the Sims 5 will surprise me but I don't know. It's odd although the Sims 4 reminds me of the Sims Castaway game I had, it still didn't feel the same. I just want EA to prove me wrong.

But I hope you continue to share your family pictures because I love seeing them and family is really important to me.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Gruffman wrote: »

Mods have existed since the Sims 2. I don't blame them. I don't know why EA does the things it does. They won that golden poo award themselves. So I'd blame EA just for being EA. Corporations now generally like to take the easiest and cheapest approach. In order for EA to change business norms would have to change. Why I don't like working in the corporate environment myself. I prefer small businesses. Story progression in the Sims 4 is going through the same issues the Sims 3 had, so it's frustrating and there is a master controller mod for it again.

Yeah I'm realizing there may never be a Sims game like the Sims 2 ever again. I just would love to be proven wrong especially after playing 15 years. Maybe the Sims 5 will surprise me but I don't know. It's odd although the Sims 4 reminds me of the Sims Castaway game I had, it still didn't feel the same. I just want EA to prove me wrong.

But I hope you continue to share your family pictures because I love seeing them and family is really important to me.

That golden poo award as you call it was for customer service - not to do with games though at all.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    It is the Sims 1. It was a great game despite being in 2D. There were a lot of activities to do. I loved my Vacations EP. I still play it and enjoy the game.

There is a big shopping mall that comes with Open for Business. I often take that mall, put it in Pleasant Valley and completely remodel it to my satisfaction.

EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Jarsie9 wrote: »

There is a big shopping mall that comes with Open for Business. I often take that mall, put it in Pleasant Valley and completely remodel it to my satisfaction.
    Me too! Except I place it in Downtown.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options

I forgot about the mall. I'll have to look for it in my game again.
  • Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

That golden poo award as you call it was for customer service - not to do with games though at all.
    With customer service, people are still having a hard time dealing with. Like how many months people have to wait for bugs to get fixed? Why do that have a Simmer work for free organize the Sims bugs? Shouldn't it be handled by EA? I do think SimCity2013 had something to do with the two year award thing, so I do have to disagree with games having no impact on customer service.
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I don't understand the title of your topic. Who do you not want to make 'the same mistake'? EA or fans? Because imo they made a mistake the way they created Sims 4, imo they should have continued what they started creating Sims 3.

I know The Sims 4 is not the best of the saga.

I am asking EA to not make the same mistake they did with The Sims 3: make some lots that were visitables on The Sims 2 in rabbit holes.

• Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    emmaning wrote: »
    screen006.jpg

You'll have to build it yourself in TS1... but you'll do it with the best buildmode music ever.

Some of TS1's music is so good that I'd listen to it without the game.

• Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I know The Sims 4 is not the best of the saga.

I am asking EA to not make the same mistake they did with The Sims 3: make some lots that were visitables on The Sims 2 in rabbit holes.

that is what i hope for sims 5 now, a open world with all the places open and active and none rabbit hole, with a strong point in customization.
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    To the OP: For someone who is creative, I'm surprised that you can live with the limitations that we get when we try to build a community lot; that is, the lists of items the lot must have before the game recognizes the type of lot it is, whether it be a bar, a library, or any other venue. Furthermore, the library shelves are not available in buy mode; you can only get them if you use a cheat; Otherwise, you're stuck with using the Willow Creek library if you want a bookshelf that includes skill books.

I really don't see the Sims 4 as being better than the Sims 2 in this respect.

I know the game is a bit limited, but has more options to build community lots than TS3. There is more variety of objects.

But that obviously doesn't make it better than TS2. The Sims 2 is the best of the saga, every detail is well made.