Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Custom content - is it safe?

I've been looking online and lots of sim addicts have created their own custom content for other people to download and use themselves, this includes amazing hairstyles and facial features... Is this safe to add to your game? A website I looked at is simsresource.com I think it is! The content is so cool but I'm worried downloads that are officially created by the sims will effect my game play and eventually mess the whole thing up! Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    Juliee101Juliee101 Posts: 479 Member
    edited April 2015
    depends on where you download it.
    simsresource is usually safe.

i once was downloading some sims 4 cc hair on thesimsresource. it gave me a trojan.
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    No cc is "safe", there's always the risk of breaking your game by some faulty cc or mod. Just make sure you understand that...
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    Astro wrote: »
    No cc is "safe", there's always the risk of breaking your game by some faulty cc or mod. Just make sure you understand that...

This guy speaks the truth,besides alot of CC is ugly,the shiny sims skins that Sims 3 players thought were beautiful YUCK,with fish faces and the overly muscular freakish male sims people think are fabulous look like crap.Most CC hair clips wrong with clothes, but hey if you like women with 14 inches of hair shooting out the center of her chest during breakfast then enjoy.

I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    AimeeDAimeeD Posts: 34 Member
    Haha thanks guys! I will not be downloading any of this, you've made my mind up!
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    AimeeD wrote: »
    Haha thanks guys! I will not be downloading any of this, you've made my mind up!
    I'm not saying NOT to download anything, I'm just saying make sure to watch tutorials on YouTube to make sure that you know exactly what your doing. And always look at the comments for a piece of cc, if someone says it did something to their game, I'd stay away from it or contact the creator.
  • Options
    Redninja52Redninja52 Posts: 200 Member
    Umm Some CC is good btw
  • Options
    Tbh I don't want to even risk it, thanks guys
  • Options
    PinkJellyBeansPinkJellyBeans Posts: 219 Member
    edited April 2015
    AimeeD wrote: »
    I've been looking online and lots of sim addicts have created their own custom content for other people to download and use themselves, this includes amazing hairstyles and facial features... Is this safe to add to your game? A website I looked at is simsresource.com I think it is! The content is so cool but I'm worried downloads that are officially created by the sims will effect my game play and eventually mess the whole thing up! Any advice?

thesimsresource is pretty well known and it was one of the first places to have CC for TS4, I think (although I remember almost all of that first CC made my game crash). I usually go there for some furniture and accessories like rings and bracelets and maybe a few clothes but I'm not a fan of the overly thin and long hair but that's all about preferences of course. For me, I find tumblr a good resource for that because I like hair that stays similar to the game's style (example).

But all CC can mess up your game. I've been downloading a lot of it lately and I found two corrupted CC. One didn't let my game start and it gave me an error, another would cause a freeze in the first loading screen. So there's always a risk. Just download a few things at a time and play for a few hours before downloading more. This way it will be easier to find corrupted CC and get rid of it. And put everything in subfolders with pictures, so you can keep track of it. Also, make sure you don't click in any ads when downloading things, that's usually how people get viruses in their computers.
    Post edited by PinkJellyBeans on
  • Options
    Thankyou! What about if you download a household from the sims 4 gallery that someone else has already created?
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I had the lock doors mod installed and it is very limited so I deleted it from my mods folder. This is the first time I've ever used mods (CC is way too buggy for me, so I have none). Right now I only have one mod and it is the 'testing cheats always on" one.

I am however waiting for someone to make a new gardener for hire mod since the last patch broke a lot of mods and cc and the guy who made that gardener mod is MIA.
  • Options
    MonkeeGoddessMonkeeGoddess Posts: 315 Member
    I honestly couldn't play without custom content. It was mostly clothes and hair for The Sims 2 but I found I needed even more than that for The Sims 3. So far I'm not playing with nearly as much for The Sims 4 but I anticipate that will change. EA's clothing style is very opposite mine same with hairstyles. So I'll most likely be downloading more custom stuff for the game.

Custom Content is only dangerous and game breaking if you're not paying attention. I've never had a virus or anything like that from custom content. Granted I only get stuff from trusted sources that I've had good experiences with and never the gallery or back in the day the exchange. I never use the download system given by EA. I've heard way too many bad things about it.

But as long as you pay attention to what you're downloading and where you're downloading it from you should be fine.
    The desert is calling.
    The emptiness of space.
    The hunger of a lion
    Is written on your face.
    A maniac's new love song.
    Destruction is his game.
    I need a new direction,
    Cause I have lost my way.

• Options
    KatsKatsKatsKats Posts: 976 Member
    Anytime you rely on a third party to add things into a game, you're taking a risk. I don't use CC or mods in Sims 4, though I did use a couple of Twallan's mods in 3. Never used them in 2. I have used mods in other games. The thing is, you unless you know that creator and they have a really good reputation, I wouldn't try it. Even then, things can go wrong unintentionally. And like @Catmando830 said above, the creator can also go MIA and not be available to fix things. Keep in mind, some of those creators could be 13 year old kids or anyone who is just dabbling and doesn't have a clue.

On the other hand, there are long time simmers here who do create good stuff and have solid experience and reputations.

As far as downloading from the Gallery, I'd only go for those that say there is no CC in their lots or creations. It doesn't always mean they're telling the truth, and it doesn't always mean that if it doesn't say there's no CC that there is any. Theoretically, they're screened somewhat ofr it. It's a craphshoot, really. I have used lots from the gallery with good results. That's probably your best bet. But again, it's a risk and things have gotten through. Caveat Emptor.

• Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    No site is guaranteed to be completely safe to use CC in your game. However, I use CC from TheSimsResource and ModtheSims. I've been downloading stuff from their sites since sims 2 and have only run into 2 or 3 bad files. Luckily, all I had to do was the delete the bad CC file from my game and everything went back to normal. Most of the time, though, I don't have any problems with those two sites.
  • Options
    mwdonohuemwdonohue Posts: 3,307 Member
    I make mine for ts2 and ts3 and they are always safe.
  • Options
    lacri12lacri12 Posts: 13 New Member
    I also use many CC and I never had any problems with them. Although you need to pick the right ones (from good sites, like modthesims or thesimsresource and so on)
  • Options
    GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    edited April 2015
    I make CC and I donwloaded for each of sims generation game more than 5 Gb, usually no problem. But take them out before patch. Make folders to keep your mod file organized. Watch out for mods that change behavior of the game, they can break your game when you update.

But in general, if you have a good antivirus and know the source of download is trustworthy, imo is usually safe. I don't have any breaking game problems with them and I like creating and using CC. Is basically half of the reason I like Sims lol
  • Options
    barraakenobarraakeno Posts: 489 Member
    edited April 2015
    depends of where you get the files. I have about 1k cc's files and have no single problem (and all of they are maxis match, not that aberrations like sims skins that looks like porcelain)
    Brazilian guy here, so my English is not that good.

fB7mWIn.gif
    Spinning toilets confurm3d!!!!11!!1!1!!!!11!
  • Options
    ArielDelphinusArielDelphinus Posts: 628 Member
    edited April 2015
    Aimee don't be frightened to give some a try. You might like them.

At first until you are comfortable I would suggest sticking with either Mod The Sims and The Sims Resource. I mainly use Mod The Sims but I do have some stuff from TSR and a bunch of other sites. I have never had a problem with viruses or Trojans and I have been using mods for 10 years between Sims 2, Sims 3 and Sims 4.

If things get broken it is usually caused by a script mod or config mod that got screwed up because of a game patch. You can avoid those until you get more comfortable with cc, and the fix is usually fairly easy by just removing that mod that caused the issue. If it is something you had to take out but you really loved it don't worry the amazing mod creators in the Sims community are usually pretty good about updating their creations within a few days.

Main thing is make sure your virus protection is updated and I can't emphasis this enough keep your mods as organized as possible for easy location. You can always put the mod in and if you like it keep it, but if you don't like it just take it out.

I for one am very very picky and mainly like decorating and recolors of things already in the game. I do have some nice eyes, a few hairs (but EA style), no skins, and some recolors of clothing. I also have a few config mods that stop things from breaking so often, censor removal, hiders for clothing I don't care for, and fixes for things I don't care for.

If you do give it a try, once you are comfortable I would also suggest My Sims 4 blog, where you can find all kinds of amazing things for the Sims. It will send you to other creators sites. I have never had a problem with anything I have gotten from them but it is up to you to use your own discretion.

Main thing is it is your game, have fun with it :smiley:

“Because if you don't stand up for the stuff you don't like, when they come for the stuff you do like, you've already lost.”
    ― Neil Gaiman
  • Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    Some places are, some places aren't.

If you are wanting custom content from Mod The Sims, they are the safest abound. If @SimGuruGraham is on MTS, then it would be safe. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I'm sorry but what does mod mean?? I must be really out the loop! :)
  • Options
    RachelRosebudRachelRosebud Posts: 1,103 Member
    I never play with CC. I don't like the way CC creators are making the Sims look, mainly. So called 'realistic' CC looks instead hyper-realistic, as in airbrushed "perfect" Barbie models. Not interested.
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    I never play with CC. I don't like the way CC creators are making the Sims look, mainly. So called 'realistic' CC looks instead hyper-realistic, as in airbrushed "perfect" Barbie models. Not interested.

I don't care for that either but there have always been CC creators who don't do that too.

• Options
    Mod means custom content or something that modifies (changes) the game :smile:
    “Because if you don't stand up for the stuff you don't like, when they come for the stuff you do like, you've already lost.”
    ― Neil Gaiman
  • Options

Yeah I don't like that either. There are some amazing creators over at Mod The Sims that keep the games style like I enjoy. As well some creators that convert things that were in Sims 2 or Sims 3 that I loved and missed.
    ― Neil Gaiman
  • Options
    AshlynneAshlynne Posts: 288 Member
    @AimeeD In TS3 I had a plethora of custom content (CC). I really liked how I could use the in-game tool to change the fabric type, color wheel for colors, etc. Although I downloaded a TON of content, I never had any issues, though I'm sure there are plenty of mischievous people out there who might insert a virus. I do keep my virus scanner up to date. Originally I decided I probably wouldn't get CC for TS4, but without the color wheel from TS3 and the customizing tool where I could use different fabrics for furniture and clothes, I've found myself quite bored with the selection. I now have almost a gig of CC for TS4, but I carefully organize it and review it. I get most everything from TSR (the Sims Resource). I haven't had any issues yet, but I sure do enjoy using all the custom colors and different clothes.

One of my favorite things to do in this game is create unique, efficient houses. With the in-game content, it's hard to make them unique AND look good if you're making more than a couple houses. I like them to be distinct. So CC is a must for me at this point.

If you decide to use CC, my advice is to keep your virus scanner up to date, review every download, keep a special folder outside your Sims game where you keep it all organized and in folders so you can easily find and remove things you don't like or that look funny, etc. Copy what you want into your Sims mods folder and then be sure to remove the mods during patching time. CC is such a huge part of the game for me. I would be bored without all the extra colors, hairstyles, etc.
    qLr9gBj.png
    This is what I look like IRL. "Bald is beautiful" my husband says. I'm getting used to it and I'm starting to like being bald.