Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Poll! Tempted to buy the New Expansion Pack but holding back?

To start with I need to say I love The Sims and I like the way this new expansion pack looks. I would love to buy it but I'm holding back. I am not 100% in love with The Sims 4. I like the game because hey its a "Sims" game but it doesn't make me as happy as the other Sims versions. From the Sims 1, 2 and 3 they all kept my interest. My favorite beyond words was the Sims 2. In the beginning I was on the fence with the Sims 3 but in it defense the base game still held my attention. I loved the freedom to create which made up for some of the things that were not originally included in the Sims 3 such as aliens pregnant males and real apartment living. However The Sims 4 base game has not been interesting and doesn't keep my attention.

This said people are probably wondering why not buy the expansion pack? I'm choosing to wait. I don't believe in buying something unless you absolutely love it. I want what was once advertised a long time ago... in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkxO2hrQFWA

Do you remember the excitement you felt when you saw this video?

Every person is different if you get that excitement when you see a new trailer for The Sims 4 then the game is for you and you are not alone! If you don't get that thrill then you are not ready and that's fine too because you too are not alone either!

What pulled me from The Sims 1 to The Sims 2 was the growth of the children. What pulled me from The Sims 2 to The Sims 3 was the over all growth of the Sims and the freedom to Customize everything. So What moved me to try The Sims 4 was boredom. I hadn't seen any trailers or read up on it. My PC was down for almost a year or more. Armed with a second hand laptop I downloaded Origin, Saw the Sims 4 and bought it.

Now whats holding me back from loving it? I want the family play! I want all the age groups, the freedom to customize and to roam the world freely. If I had to choose I can make do with the closed world and lack of customization freedom. Changing the family play backwards instead of progressing it is a major stalling point for me. I would love to see more of what was in that original video.

I'm not saying I'm done. I'm just going to wait around and see where it goes!
SENIOR POLLINATION TECHNICIAN #3 DOWNLOADS:
ORIGINAL: https://goo.gl/ux61nn REMODELED: https://goo.gl/pcJwsN
MY GALLERY ---> https://bit.ly/2N5kp8y <----

a0933d0f-c078-40f1-8aa9-1f6adbbd24d3-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Comments

• Options
    XopaxPaxXopaxPax Posts: 1,769 Member
    I will be buying the EP only in July, by then we will already have more content added via patches, i also wanna make sure it will get good reviews and that Maxis don't decide to abandon TS4 like they did with SimCity.
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2015
    I did not buy it. It looked interesting enough - but I had determined once I spent 100 bucks on the game - i would not spend another dime until I was sure the game had or was at least told by a Guru the game would get the one addition i needed to play this game. Of course they are determined not to comment on future content, and there is no point in me investing any further in the game no matter how great the pack looks if the overall satisfaction and my playstyle is not in the game. For 40 bucks i expect to be able to both enjoy the pack as well as enjoy the overall game that exists outside of the pack. With no future content discussions then there is no promise what I need for this game will ever exist and therefore i can never enjoy the game over all so not worth wasting money on it for 1 days satisfying play.

I found that to be a fact when I purchased the Camping game pack - and enjoyed it fine while my sim was on vacation - but when he got home i was back to feeling unhappy because my family playstyle does not exist in Sims 4.

So in my case i won't spend the money even if a pack offers things i have wanted in the game for ever as long as I can get no promises - as all we get is NO comment - so I answer with - then no money from me. If i can't get answers then they can't get my money. My gameplay style is more important than any ep.

In my sims games I need infants not to morph into 10 year old kids. Makes no sense to me. It made no sense to me in Sims 1 but in sims 1 I just never played families any more because of that. i got spoiled with Sims 2 and Sims 3 - so now i cannot enjoy the game with out the family aspect and i cannot play a family with 10 year olds morphing out of a infant in a bassinet.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I'm considering it while it's on sale. It's still a little more expensive than I'd like, but it's doable. I also have Pillars of Eternity to play, so I'm not sure. But given it took me a couple of months before I found Outdoor Retreat for $15, I'm not sure I want to wait that long to get GTW.

If I do buy GTW, I'm definitely going to just play a bunch of single sim households.
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I bought every single TS3 pack the day it came out and was thrilled with the game from day one. I still play it. I rushed out to buy TS4 (the Deluxe version) on release day, and tried so hard to like it. I played for a few months, but was just so very disappointed. I just started a new game after being away almost 4 months. I played with the basements some, but quickly got bored. I did not buy the camping pack and it is very unlikely I will buy GTW. They still have a lot of bugs and problems to fix in the base game before I shell out any more money. I learned my lesson.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    Colorist40Colorist40 Posts: 7,103 Member
    I felt the same way op. I could not justify spending money on the hopes it would make me love the game. I truly want to love the game, and it bums me more than I can say that I can't. I don't love the lack of customization, the goal driven play style. I already regret my impulse buying of the base game, and am not in a position to spend 40.00 on a desire to like the game.

That being said, my son who knows I love the sims bought the ep for me. I will play it, as he spent his money on it, at least as long as I can do so without wanting to rip my hair out of my head with frustration or boredom. I just hope with all my heart that it will turn me into a huge fan of sims 4. If it fails to do so as far as I am concerned, the sims 4 will be finished for me, and I will never buy an ep, and will inform my son in future to save his money even if they give us toddlers in a future ep. So EA this is make or break time for me, and I hope this ep lives up to its hype. If not, you lost a long time simmer of 15 years for good.

• Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    It is on sale at amazon and best buy for $10 less
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    Hold back because... it's going on sale! B) lol
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Jimil wrote: »

It Is on sale
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member

It Is on sale

Already? That was fast lmao
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member

It Is on sale

Already? That was fast lmao

Amazon and Bestbuy both have it for $30 for physical copies. You're right -- that WAS fast. I'm not sure if they ended up with more physical copies than they expected due to lack of preorders, or what. But it doesn't make much sense.

• Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    Not gonna buy this EP at all. Only one thing interests me and for 40$ it's not worth it. I won't even be buying it on sale because honestly I'm not gonna invest much into this game. Probably seasons or pet only if Toddlers ever come back.
  • Options
    SimfuncrunchSimfuncrunch Posts: 513 Member
    edited March 2015
    I'm torn. Sims 2 Open for Business was my favorite expansion pack, but overall I found Sims 2 (and 3) more enjoyable than Sims 4 by far. So I'm not sure it's worth paying $40 just to get this EP right away. Right now I'm playing Sims 3 (recently got Into the Future on sale for $14, and it's like a whole new game to me - having a blast) and watching this series from Sims Supply to try to decide whether GTW is worth the money.
    Post edited by Simfuncrunch on
  • Options
    ShadoShyrkeShadoShyrke Posts: 57 Member
    I bought the newest for my wife, and for myself. Some people have told me I am crazy based on their perspective, but I will tell you why:

The front face of each Sims 4 release is not the whole of the content. There is ALOT of hidden content that only shows up after you unlock it. This has been a fun factor of realization since my second month playing with Sims 4, which I got on a great discount direct form Origin.

From goodies that unlock when you get certain skills to a specific level, to regular free content (not just items but full interactions) for free almost every month, to goodies and content that unlocks when you reach certain levels in jobs, there are constant surprises in every content pack.

After watching the gameplay demos from Get To Work, it adds whole new factors that I would have loved to have had back in Sims 2 and 3. I can now make sure my Sim eats lunch and uses the loo at the job so that I can clear issues and emotional issues before they get home. No more losing half of the in game evening trying to fix status just so I can spend an hour of the evening working on what they need for their next promotion at work.

So many people are not seeing the pure uniqueness of this edition of the Sims family. From the ingenious AI and emotional factors to the fact that there is a lot of content that you would not have until you actually figured out how to use it at work or via a hobby. I mean, how many people would actually waste their time buying a $5000 "cherry picker" engine lift to keep around the house if they didn't learn about it from working automotive skills as a hobby or profession?

It has a logic to the entire format that has such amazing potential to those who are willing to look past the box cover.
  • Options
    s2ladolcevitas2ladolcevita Posts: 341 Member
    I'm super excited for GTW. When outdoor retreats came out I was disappointed because I wanted something about following the sims to work and I didn't care much for camping. So I was thrilled when I found out the first EP would be about careers. But i'm super tight on money right now so I'm waiting for it to go on sale. Not sure when that will be :neutral: but hey, I waited a few months for Sims 4 and got it when it was 50% off so I think I can wait a bit longer :)
  • Options
    meetkitty123meetkitty123 Posts: 524 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I did not buy it. It looked interesting enough - but I had determined once I spent 100 bucks on the game - i would not spend another dime until I was sure the game had or was at least told by a Guru the game would get the one addition i needed to play this game. Of course they are determined not to comment on future content, and there is no point in me investing any further in the game no matter how great the pack looks if the overall satisfaction and my playstyle is not in the game. For 40 bucks i expect to be able to both enjoy the pack as well as enjoy the overall game that exists outside of the pack. With no future content discussions then there is no promise what I need for this game will ever exist and therefore i can never enjoy the game over all so not worth wasting money on it for 1 days satisfying play.

I found that to be a fact when I purchased the Camping game pack - and enjoyed it fine while my sim was on vacation - but when he got home i was back to feeling unhappy because my family playstyle does not exist in Sims 4.

So in my case i won't spend the money even if a pack offers things i have wanted in the game for ever as long as I can get no promises - as all we get is NO comment - so I answer with - then no money from me. If i can't get answers then they can't get my money. My gameplay style is more important than any ep.

In my sims games I need infants not to morph into 10 year old kids. Makes no sense to me. It made no sense to me in Sims 1 but in sims 1 I just never played families any more because of that. i got spoiled with Sims 2 and Sims 3 - so now i cannot enjoy the game with out the family aspect and i cannot play a family with 10 year olds morphing out of a infant in a bassinet.

I understand you completely. I feel left out sometimes. I dont understand why they dont tell us whats wrong. Sometimes I feel like they just dont know how to add toddlers to the game. I'm actually googling Sims 4 Mods. I am with many others. I refuse to pay for any more games until they bring back the family play that so many have come to love! Toddlers are important to many. I am not giving up but I am not going to hang low either. I will speak my dislike and I welcome all to do the same. If you like it then that's good and you are more than welcome to say so!. Speak up either way. I'm not bashing the game. I like it because it is the sims but I want to love it. I spent the money on it and so I dont want to give up on it completely.

I have to say though I totally envy the people who are enjoying the game. I want that too. I want to enjoy the game with anyone who loves it. But there's an emptiness that dwells up in me when I play the sims 4 :( The best to explain to those who might not understand our view...

Picture us who want toddlers back as "family orientated sims" lol What happens to a Sim if you deny them a family or if child services comes in and takes the Sims children. YA this is the extreme way to explain it but I think it paints the picture.

Its just another playing style but Its been left out and thats the bottom line. It makes people feel left out.

a0933d0f-c078-40f1-8aa9-1f6adbbd24d3-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    I bought the newest for my wife, and for myself. Some people have told me I am crazy based on their perspective, but I will tell you why:

The front face of each Sims 4 release is not the whole of the content. There is ALOT of hidden content that only shows up after you unlock it. This has been a fun factor of realization since my second month playing with Sims 4, which I got on a great discount direct form Origin.

From goodies that unlock when you get certain skills to a specific level, to regular free content (not just items but full interactions) for free almost every month, to goodies and content that unlocks when you reach certain levels in jobs, there are constant surprises in every content pack.

After watching the gameplay demos from Get To Work, it adds whole new factors that I would have loved to have had back in Sims 2 and 3. I can now make sure my Sim eats lunch and uses the loo at the job so that I can clear issues and emotional issues before they get home. No more losing half of the in game evening trying to fix status just so I can spend an hour of the evening working on what they need for their next promotion at work.

So many people are not seeing the pure uniqueness of this edition of the Sims family. From the ingenious AI and emotional factors to the fact that there is a lot of content that you would not have until you actually figured out how to use it at work or via a hobby. I mean, how many people would actually waste their time buying a $5000 "cherry picker" engine lift to keep around the house if they didn't learn about it from working automotive skills as a hobby or profession?

It has a logic to the entire format that has such amazing potential to those who are willing to look past the box cover.
    This. I already have hundreds of different ideas of what I can do in game now that I have GTW.
  • Options
    @AstroX1424 What are you going to do? How are you playing?

• Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    @AstroX1424 What are you going to do? How are you playing?

Well, there's tons of different kinds of retail businesses you can have, so there's that and all the careers have a repeatability factor. And I play rotationally, I have a save for each career, so I play a different save a day.
  • Options
    I'm torn. Sims 2 Open for Business was my favorite expansion pack, but overall I found Sims 2 (and 3) more enjoyable than Sims 4 by far. So I'm not sure it's worth paying $40 just to get this EP right away. Right now I'm playing Sims 3 (recently got Into the Future on sale for $14, and it's like a whole new game to me - having a blast) and watching this series from Sims Supply to try to decide whether GTW is worth the money.

I too went back to the sims 3 and I bought every pack or stuff I didnt have. I am loving the furture pack. I still play the sims 1 and 2 as well!

• Options
    I'm super excited for GTW. When outdoor retreats came out I was disappointed because I wanted something about following the sims to work and I didn't care much for camping. So I was thrilled when I found out the first EP would be about careers. But i'm super tight on money right now so I'm waiting for it to go on sale. Not sure when that will be :neutral: but hey, I waited a few months for Sims 4 and got it when it was 50% off so I think I can wait a bit longer :)

I bought the outdoor with the sims 4 at the same time. This was before I knew they removed toddlers. But even if they lower the price on GTW I wont buy it now knowing what I know. I loved all the Business packs from sims 1 to 3. I want this new pack but my want for the toddlers overrides it. I hope you enjoy it when the price comes down. Hopefully by then or before then toddlers will be back and I and many other wioll be enjoying it too along with you :)

• Options
    LaAbby wrote: »
    Not gonna buy this EP at all. Only one thing interests me and for 40$ it's not worth it. I won't even be buying it on sale because honestly I'm not gonna invest much into this game. Probably seasons or pet only if Toddlers ever come back.

Hang on in there.

• Options
    SimfuncrunchSimfuncrunch Posts: 513 Member
    I decided to order from Amazon; $30 is reasonable I think (plus a couple of bucks in sales tax), and we have free two-day shipping with Prime. Note that Amazon says that Mac users (like myself) still have to download the game after entering a code from the disc case, which is kind of ridiculous.
  • Options
    I have to admit It was tempting to buy the game at the low price however I dont see myself enjoying the game as much as I would like. I know myself and I love playing family orientated sims. Raising babies to having grand children. As for now thats not so interesting in the Sims 4.

• Options
    I came up with a whole list of what woulkd be awesome to see in the sims 4

could you read my ideas and tell me what you think?

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/826951/new-generations-expansion-ideas-come-add-your-own-woefulfew#latest