Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

False advertisement!

Comments

• Options
    lovlyblovlyb Posts: 968 Member
    Well thats a disappointment! Go figures
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    aws200 wrote: »
    It's false advertisement but since people don't care, nothing will be done.
    Someone should get Maxis into legal trouble. This is all false stuff being advertised as part of the game.
    Lots of games have false adverts but they continue to do it, if you have such a problem write them a heated letter.
  • Options
    Lenne42Lenne42 Posts: 80 Member
    edited March 2015
    Fireproxxy wrote: »
    So our sims can't do much from the trailers. Why do they bother showing things we will never get to have in game??

example: they won't sit down and eat in a cafe or bakery that we set up... (like what even is the point in having one then?)

I understa your ire. I really do. But that's how advertising (in America anyway) works. When you see an ad for Barbie where she's driving her car to a pool party or styling other babies in her beauty shop. She can't really do that. She's plastic. Same goes for ads for things like paper towel or baby diapers. The ad over embellishes. 1 paper towel cannot clean up all that and your brand of diaper isn't gonna magically make my kid sleep through the night. Think about it, when was the last time you saw an ad that was 100% honest? That's just advertising. So are you gonna be irked at everyone & everything that has an ad?
    [img][/img]2hf78fn.jpg
    Check out this YouTube Channel! MySimsVideos has Mod Tutorials, Game Reviews & GIVEAWAYS! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HOU-s_hNldYgy86_waGAA?app=desktop&persist_app=1
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited March 2015
    Someone should get Maxis into legal trouble. This is all false stuff being advertised as part of the game.

Whilst they put the disclaimer on the bottom of trailers, I wouldn't have thought you could.

• Options
    The Sims trailers have never been completely accurate in regard to game play. They have gotten better, but they aren't game play previews, they are theatrical trailers. Case in point, a personal favorite from TS2: https://youtube.com/watch?v=t9u1zMCos8w

I've been with The Sims since TS1. This is nothing new, and I do not expect it to be otherwise... nor do I get miffed about it.

I believe this is the trailer to the game they lost and then had to start a fresh.
    [img][/img]2hf78fn.jpg
    Check out this YouTube Channel! MySimsVideos has Mod Tutorials, Game Reviews & GIVEAWAYS! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HOU-s_hNldYgy86_waGAA?app=desktop&persist_app=1
  • Options

They put in a disclaimer at the bottom of all these trailers. So technically & legally they are covered. If you choose to believe what they've said isn't normal gameplay. That's not those fault....legally. So no one can actually get them in trouble.
    [img][/img]2hf78fn.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    LAST POST! SimGuru Graham says that your sim can buy food from a bakery and eat it there. Check out the actual tweet in this thread. So NO FALSE ADVERTISING Because they used their own sims!!
    Cheers.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/822279/its-confirmed-we-cant-make-a-functioning-restaurant-even-a-fast-food-one#latest
    [img][/img]2hf78fn.jpg
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member

well from a very superficial legal read its arguably not for example one part of the test is to show that a large amount of potential buyers believe in the deception. i think its reasonable to say many simmers take the representation of game play in trailers with a grain of salt.

like for example does anyone really think doctors will be able to dance on counters at the hospital

also its not like this was a feature in a trailer i can only recall in the medical trailer a scene where folks are eating in the bakery its not like they created a trailer focusing on bakery that has footage of sims buying food and then sitting down and eating.

and of course with all legal actions you need injury. injury is what a court addresses. thus you have to show the deception caused a harm. http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/False+Advertising

but the point for many is the idea is misrepresenting and i understand that is a let down to think in your mind you can do one thing and then realize the game play wont support that even though the imagery in the trailer suggested/supported this idea.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @ceejay402 wrote: »

well from a very superficial legal read its arguably not for example one part of the test is to show that a large amount of potential buyers believe in the deception. i think its reasonable to say many simmers take the representation of game play in trailers with a grain of salt.

like for example does anyone really think doctors will be able to dance on counters at the hospital

also its not like this was a feature in a trailer i can only recall in the medical trailer a scene where folks are eating in the bakery its not like they created a trailer focusing on bakery that has footage of sims buying food and then sitting down and eating.

and of course with all legal actions you need injury. injury is what a court addresses. thus you have to show the deception caused a harm. http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/False+Advertising

but the point for many is the idea is misrepresenting and i understand that is a let down to think in your mind you can do one thing and then realize the game play wont support that even though the imagery in the trailer suggested/supported this idea.

The thing is though, those Doctor dancing videos weren't trailers. Just clips.

The people sitting down eating at the bakery, was shown during a GAMEPLAY trailer, showing off GAMEPLAY. So they are misleading people showing off gameplay not in the game.
  • Options
    jackjack_k wrote: »

The people sitting down eating at the bakery, was shown during a GAMEPLAY trailer, showing off GAMEPLAY. So they are misleading people showing off gameplay not in the game.
    But sims trailers have always done false advertising, idk why people get so worked up about it now.
  • Options
    howsimlishhowsimlish Posts: 709 Member
    I don't think there was people sitting down eating in the retail trailer anywhere, it was just the reveal trailer. Anyway, this EP isn't made for restaurants, we were never promised them, EA never said directly from their mouths that we were getting sit down eating, just because a trailer showed it didn't mean anything. They're probably showing off a story telling aspect of the game.
  • Options
    AmouraBAmouraB Posts: 1,510 Member
    I made a post about speculation and some simmers always speculating...it's NOT false advertising..it's selling...people just speculated and automatically believed in their minds it would be this way or that way...they NEVER ever told us anything and like stated before they always post on trailer (some things my not actually be in game)...

you can't sue any company for how YOU comprehend in your mind on what YOU see...it's millions of people that play the sims some may not have taken it the same way some other person may take it.... and no where did anyone say it will be exactly like this...we looked at the trailer and took it upon ourselves to speculate it would be this way.

so when people start suing maxis/ea or whomever for false advertising make sure they also sue all food commercials for example McDonalds, Wendy's, burger king, pizza hut.. ect... because no food ever and i mean ever look the same way it looks in those commercials ever....

(being that I am a full time advanced yoga instructor... I never eat fast food but still I have been around people who do and the burger or meal or pizza they are eating look nothing like the picture / AD or commercial) it's called selling, promoting, advertising and i knew this before i made the speculation thread.

my point for making it were to say that some simmers ALWAYS speculating and then find out the truth later and get disappointed and for that I wish they would just say things straight up...but also knowing that's how business works...really with anything we see in an AD or TV never ever look the same in person...we only assumed it would be the same.
  • Options
    howsimlishhowsimlish Posts: 709 Member
    I just realized, to dumb down what the tweet says:

If your sims go to an NPC bakery, there will be other sims eating there.

If your sim owns the bakery, I think they just leave.
  • Options
    natashifiednatashified Posts: 3,314 Member
    edited March 2015
    AstroX1424 wrote: »
    There is one advantage to townies not eating at the tables and that's this. They won't sit at the table your sims on a date are sitting at.

That is the lamest excuse ever. Who cares for dates and that stuff that much.
    What was the point of this post? Obviously he cares... and if it was such a lame excuse why point it out?

*gasp* I didn't know it was your job to tell me what to/not to post! Thank you so much for telling me what to do, I would have been lost without you!

Thank you for understanding!
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Fireproxxy wrote: »
    acee313 wrote: »
    > @Fireproxxy said:
    > pumpkinspicy17 wrote: »
    >
    > This means that sims will not sit down and order food, they can still sit after they purchase their food and eat in the store. "Sit Down Dining" is a restaurant where you order food from a waiter or waitress off a menu they hand you. The bakery can still have tables for sims to sit and eat the food they buy from you or your sim can eat at an npc sim's bakery.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > How do they do that if the food doesn't go in their inventories?

When did they say that it won't be in their inventories?

Oh you'd be surprised it came from the devs. SimGuruGraham has said that, which angered some people, but some understood the logic behind that. Oh if you're still uninformed, might as well tell you that any buyer from your store wouldn't get the items they buy and wouldn't lose their money, but don't worry, you'd still earn, it's just that nobody will get any poorer from purchasing from your store. They have reasons for this and I understood the reasons very well.

I knew they wouldn't keep the items they buy anyway because that would bloat the game apparently, but come on, they should've added that in for the bakery/cafe aspect of the game that the players would've wanted OR not advertised it.....

Plus, what are the reasons? very curious.

Right. I was hoping they'd at least code it so that customers eat the food immediately, that way it never goes into the inventory to cause bloat.
  • Options
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    I honestly don't see the problem, 95% of people don't eat at bakeries. They get the things they pay for and leave, it is realistic. It's like people complaining about the teens height, they complain about realism, but most teens are as tall or taller than their parents around the age 15.

Because if they'd implemented it, then we could sell other types of food and pretend it's a restaurant. It doesn't have to be a bakery.
  • Options
    rmonkeysonrmonkeyson Posts: 22 Member
    I feel like with a fridge on the lot, hungry sims will end up taking cereal and sitting down eating that
  • Options
    EasyToReadEasyToRead Posts: 7,813 Member
    I know right! God knows they can't show what the game is really like. It will discourage anyone from buying. Whatever they have to do to sell this game right.... even if it is lie to us.
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Options
    Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    Has anyone thought that maybe they used active sims? After all, our active Sims do sit down and eat in bakeries in GTW......... Or are we just going to discard it for the sake of whining?
  • Options
    Has anyone thought that maybe they used active sims? After all, our active Sims do sit down and eat in bakeries in GTW......... Or are we just going to discard it for the sake of whining?
    Good point.
  • Options
    IceyJ wrote: »
    I honestly don't see the problem, 95% of people don't eat at bakeries. They get the things they pay for and leave, it is realistic. It's like people complaining about the teens height, they complain about realism, but most teens are as tall or taller than their parents around the age 15.

Because if they'd implemented it, then we could sell other types of food and pretend it's a restaurant. It doesn't have to be a bakery.

But the whole point is to make it a bakery.
  • Options
    I have not seen a single advertisement for GTW that states that NPCs will sit down and eat. I've seen a photo that has a couple of sims sitting at a table and eating, but that isn't false advertisement, all we know is that your sims will sit down and eat. So they were probably active sims. There is difference between false advertising and expectation.

Of course, we now know that it must have been active sims sitting. However, the point was to show the different types of business that we can "run" and manage. So in the trailer, we see our sim manning the register, while customers are sitting and eating. The NPCs are implied because they are showing the types of businesses that we can own, so the "expectation" is that they are real customers, not just the active family.

Whether or not it's false advertisement, it is extremely deceptive. I guess it's okay as long as they put that disclaimer at the bottom to cover their plums. :|
  • Options
    edited March 2015

So are you saying the EP doesn't allow us to sell other foods? Do you only play the game the way EA says you have to? I know I don't. In the past, this game has always been about having options to create what you want. That's what the real issue is. Taking away options we've gotten used to, or limiting features for people who like to think outside the box.

For example, TS3's final expansion introduced the lot type called "Gallery Shop." It had a futuristic icon and was used in the future world to sell plumbots, hovercars, etc.

In my game, I used it to create malls and various shops, because I knew it would draw sims to buy things and also close down every night, forcing everyone to go home. There was no rule that stated I HAD to make gallery shops only. Just like there's no rule that says I have to sell snacks in a bakery. :)
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »

Sorry I don't see how one is a clip and the other is a trailer. In fact the title for the malpractice includes official. Nor do get the point of the distinction but I did state in my post and do agree eating in a bakery is misrepresentative. I'm just arguing how I see it falls short of false advertisement
  • Options

So are you saying the EP doesn't allow us to sell other foods? Do you only play the game the way EA says you have to? I know I don't. In the past, this game has always been about having options to create what you want. That's what the real issue is. Taking away options we've gotten used to, or limiting features for people who like to think outside the box.

For example, TS3's final expansion introduced the lot type called "Gallery Shop." It had a futuristic icon and was used in the future world to sell plumbots, hovercars, etc.

In my game, I used it to create malls and various shops, because I knew it would draw sims to buy things and also close down every night, forcing everyone to go home. There was no rule that stated I HAD to make gallery shops only. Just like there's no rule that says I have to sell snacks in a bakery. :)

I never said that it doesn't allow to sell other foods, I don't always play the game like it was supposed to. But I don't complain that I can't use something that wasn't intended to be used that way. It's like going to a crematorium and expecting them to bury the body.