Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

These backdrops are killing me.

Comments

• Options
    webdznrwebdznr Posts: 572 Member
    I'd love a saturation setting for TS4, but until they fix the random romances I'll be playing this world:

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8219962

A huge shout out to the meticulous care that the very best modders take with their work and I will ask everyone who wants more from TS4 worlds to go sign the CAW petition if you haven't already.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/789742/the-sims-4-create-a-world-petition-529-signatures#latest

Modders won't be able to make an open world where no mechanics exist, but they will create wondrous things. I have total faith in that :blush:

@Rflong7 makes the BEST worlds! I've got all of them installed... what a talent! Although, I'm a HUGE fan of open world (and TS3) I don't think the backdrop would bug me so much if it had more life in it. (ie. the building windows being lit up at night) When I first saw the pic of the new neighborhood I thought, yay.. we are getting closer to downtown! Maybe a Late Night EP and high rises are coming sooner rather than later.
    The Sims 4 :: Think 'inside' the box.
  • Options
    ZombifiedDeathEaterZombifiedDeathEater Posts: 558 Member
    edited March 2015
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I wonder how Seasons is going to work with the backdrops. If it snows, will they be changed to be covered in snow? Is that even possible?

Seriously! Good Question bud! I wondered the very same thing myself. Maybe it will be a combination of preset (dev and user cc created perhaps?) snowy and wintery stormy backdrops. I.e Snowhill mountain in the bg, is compliment with the in-game FX that in turn affects the environment, creating an illusion that the backdrops in the distance are changing with the weather in the foreground?

Did that make any sense? xD

Sleep here I come :tired_face:
    I melt when I begin to dream
    Silhouette of touching colours
    Sparking energy in azure skies
    Beneath silvery pale moonlight
    Painting with mesmerizing eyes
    Blur between the silent screams
    Memories take form, dancing to life
    Mournful tears, haunting waking dreams

wolf_howling_at_moon.jpg
  • Options
    XopaxPaxXopaxPax Posts: 1,769 Member
    There's too much wasted space in these neighboorhoods, instead of these decoration homes they should have been actual lots.
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    Alistair_32Alistair_32 Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited March 2015
    When the EP first was announced I was so hoping for a new world.

Gurus be like:
    140562270070.jpg
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    kirby356 wrote: »
    MagnoliaPromenade.jpg
    That map is just pitiful.
    What? No.

That is a potential-filled map.

#Sigh #TheyWereSoGoodToUs #PraiseThisGame
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    WolfEyes wrote: »
    I like the backdrops in TS4. The cloudless blue sky in TS2 always bothered me.
    The cloudy blue sky in TS4 bothers me. Especially the clouds.
    You mean the cheap spray paint graffiti look? You know the clouds look bad when the Las Vegas Venetian Hotel painted sky ceiling looks more in depth and realistic than the clouds in the game.

DSC_2466.jpg
    venice-in-vegas.jpg?w=529&h=352
    shopping.jpg
    2008-02-25_venetian-IMG_3671.jpg
  • Options
    Devynsims00Devynsims00 Posts: 3,392 Member
    The sweet sweet torture of illusion. Weirder Stories 4 all :tired_face:
    OJGRGDT.gif
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited March 2015
    I don't pan out any more I tried to explore the neighbor hood and I ended up flying out of the world. I admit the saddest part were the trees on the outer edge of the neighborhoods are paper thin and rotate to alway face where the camera is.
    those pine trees behind my house near the magnolia tree
    screen_shot_2015_03_24_at_6_39_46_pm_by_mperry1995-d8mzw7y.png
    uhhhh....
    screen_shot_2015_03_24_at_6_40_36_pm_by_mperry1995-d8mzw8u.png
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    WolfEyesWolfEyes Posts: 2,192 Member
    edited March 2015
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    I don't pan out any more I tried to explore the neighbor hood and I ended up flying out of the world. I admit the saddest part were the trees on the outer edge of the neighborhoods are paper thin and rotate to alway face where the camera is.
    uhhhh....

They're called sprites and are actually easier on your GPU than if they were mesh objects. Sprites have been around a very long time. I'm used to them so they don't bother me as long as they turn. It's the static ones that bother me.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprite_(computer_graphics)
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
    To all my relations, keep dancing.
    Believe or you will not see.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    uhhhh....

They're called sprites and are actually easier on your GPU than if they were mesh objects. Sprites have been around a very long time. I'm used to them so they don't bother me as long as they turn. It's the static ones that bother me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprite_(computer_graphics)

but why are the trees further out more... fuller than than the sprites?
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    uhhhh....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprite_(computer_graphics)

but why are the trees further out more... fuller than than the sprites?

That's a question you will have to ask of the devs. I don't know why they used mesh objects mixed with sprites in the manner in which they did. Personally, I wouldn't have used sprites at all but if you read the first paragraph here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprite_(computer_graphics)#Return_of_sprites_in_casual_games_and_mobile_devices it might give you some idea as to why they did.

edit: left out a word
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    And crazy part is that they're so pretty I find myself thinking I'm in sims 3, thinking I can explore until my mouse is like nope can't go there lol
    you may look but please don't touch

that reminds me of Myst - Uru - Path of the Shell
    did anyone play that ?
    there were far away in the distance visible islands with buildings, one could swim there
    i did it once with my char & it was exactly that - Potemkin villages, paper thin staffage
    s1tower.jpg
    "The last thing Kadish wanted was for a visitor to get out on the water and see that the "town" in the distance was made of painted backdrops on mesh screens."

illusions are always good if they support the immersion,
    but are bad if they tell a totally different story,
    if they tell the story of limitations while limitations is not the intended illusion

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    whenever I see the pretty beaches and boats near my sim's legacy home, I can't help but think of this commericial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6PRfvA8i6E

I can now totally relate to it :'( .
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    I hate the backdrops, they're so lackluster. They might as well just have a black screen and show lot per lot.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    I like the backdrops. The backdrops in The Sims 2 and 3 were just sky, terrain and water.

I mean when you reach the edge of worlds in The Sims 3 you're left with very basic backdrops;

(beginning of the video)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqPWdzjlfpo

I would have loved to have seen some distant houses or something at the edge of Twinbrook. Not just empty land, sky and water puddles.
  • Options
    PixelsSquaredPixelsSquared Posts: 3,265 Member
    edited March 2015
    The backdrops in TS4 do look livelier than the ones in TS3. Here's the (very simple) backdrop in Champ Les Sims. It's the light in the distance.

MTS_icarus_allsorts-1408322-Screenshot-18.jpg

Then again, TS3 does have an open world full of scenery and many places to go, so it doesn't need any backdrops.
    ypU37gD.gif
    Pricefield forever.
    Time Won't Keep Us Apart - A story.
    MTS: SimsForever15 | Origin: vba152318 | Paradox: PixelsSquared | Simblr: PixelsSquared
  • Options
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    I like the backdrops. The backdrops in The Sims 2 and 3 were just sky, terrain and water.

I mean when you reach the edge of worlds in The Sims 3 you're left with very basic backdrops;

(beginning of the video)

I would have loved to have seen some distant houses or something at the edge of Twinbrook. Not just empty land, sky and water puddles.
    Because Sims 3 don't need backdrops lol. You just look at another area and ta-dah! There is your world right there which you can reach from your home lot.
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    And as for TS2's comparatively more plain background, at least they don't have 2D sprite trees.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    PixelsSquaredPixelsSquared Posts: 3,265 Member
    edited March 2015
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    And as for TS2's comparatively more plain background, at least they don't have 2D sprite trees.

Actually, look at that tree in the distance...

ranch%2Bshot.JPG
    ypU37gD.gif
    Pricefield forever.
    Time Won't Keep Us Apart - A story.
    MTS: SimsForever15 | Origin: vba152318 | Paradox: PixelsSquared | Simblr: PixelsSquared
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    I know some of TS3's trees looked like that from a distance too, depending on your Tree Detail settings, but they were still 3D tree models. Pretty sure that was the case with TS2 as well.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    Technically, there are sprites in all of the Sims games.
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
  • Options
    EasyToReadEasyToRead Posts: 7,813 Member
    Jimil wrote: »

(beginning of the video)

Because Sims 3 don't need backdrops lol. You just look at another area and ta-dah! There is your world right there which you can reach from your home lot.
    Exactly. We didn't need so much backdrops to make our world feel open. It's because we had open world lol! From our vast open world to this small world with tons of background. Such a downgrade....
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    EasyToRead wrote: »
    Jimil wrote: »

(beginning of the video)

Exactly. We didn't need so much backdrops to make our world feel open. It's because we had open world lol! From our vast open world to this small world with tons of background. Such a downgrade....
    You have to give props for the creative team for making these backdrops though. They're extremely essential for this game..

I can now understand why the EP only gets 4 lots... It's too much work
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    edited March 2015
    gv4ff236e2.jpg

That's pretty much what the backdrops are like to me.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Jimil wrote: »

(beginning of the video)

Yeah, exactly.

Look at another area, so that the world doesn't suddenly disappear and your Sims are always living on some remote island in the middle of nowhere.

I mean Bridgeport is the perfect example of needing backdrops. If Bridgeport has houses in the distance with another city near-by, it would look great. Instead Bridgeport sits on an island the size of small town, with a fully functioning city.

MTS_ellacharmed-1225358-BridgeportMapDottedver2.jpg

Like, it breaks the immersion that Bridgeport is an actual city of some country/state. It makes you feel like you're on a remote island.

We all have our opinions, but mine is I hated how Sims lived in a town distant from the rest of civilisation. Why does the world suddenly "stop"? Would be much better if the back of Bridgeport was empty houses on the next town. Not empty mountains and then the ocean again.