Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

- Can my Mac run The Sims 4? Answers can be found here -

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    FloppyFish wrote: »
    Wait, will the computer not run Sims 4 + EPS, GPs, some SPs on high? :(

They use same laptop cards in both Mac and pc laptop. That Radeon card should run pets. You may have to lower your settings if you intend on adding everything this game puts out. You can't change your video card. Your stuck with it once you buy it.
  • Options
    FloppyFishFloppyFish Posts: 3,881 Member
    Wait, will the computer not run Sims 4 + EPS, GPs, some SPs on high? :(

It should do.

Edit - In this post you stated a 4Gb graphics card. Is it a different Mac or a typo?

Different model. This is a slightly lower end one.
    Mafia Stats
    Games Played: 14 | Games Won: 8 | Games Lost: 6
    Times Town: 9 | Times Mafia: 2 | Times 3rd: 2
    Town Wins: 6 | Mafia Wins: 1 | 3rd Wins: 1
    Deaths: 8

• Options
    simsteph21simsteph21 Posts: 13 New Member
    Hi sorry to ask the same question as everyone else but I am currently playing sims 4 on my MacBook Pro 13 inch (mid-2012) and my whole laptop has gotten incredibly slow. I'm able to play sims 4 with EPs with very little issues but it's time for a new laptop. So I'm planning to purchase this MacBook Pro 13.3 inch 2.3ghz 256gb. Specifications:

64-bit Computing
    Yes

Graphics Processor
    Intel Iris Plus 640

Number of Processor Cores
    Dual-Core

Processor Clock Speed
    2.3 GHz

Processor Manufacturer
    Intel

Processor Type
    Core i5

RAM Installed Size

RAM Technology
    2133 MHz LPDDR3
    Storage

Hard Drive Capacity
    256 GB

Installed Storage Type
    SSD

I don't care if I have to play on low graphics or if it doesn't run perfectly. I just want to know that's it's possible to run sims 4 on this laptop especially when cats and dogs comes out. This is the only game I play so I don't want to purchase a more gaming laptop. Thanks so much in advance!
  • Options
    WispsofthefoxesWispsofthefoxes Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello, I'm thinking of buying a computer, mostly for the the Sims 4 (also going to use casually), but I'm not sure whether it'll be handle it with decent graphics. I have also recently bought two expansion packs 'Get to Work' and 'City Living'. I have been playing it on a Mid-2011 Mac Mini, which has handled it really well, but I don't know too much about the differences between the two.

Mid-2011 Mac Mini:

Mid 2011
    Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Model Name: Mac mini
    Model Identifier: Macmini5,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB

Would the Sims with the two expansions run well on this Macbook Pro:

2.4Ghz Intel i5 Processor
    4GB RAM
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 384MB
    500GB Hard Drive

Thanks!
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    In regards to your RAM, I would up it to 8GB considering the more you add into the game the slower it will become unless you have more memory.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    thatsparklegurlthatsparklegurl Posts: 2 New Member
    Hello. My iMac meets all the requirements except for the graphics card. I can not afford to buy a new computer and really want to play it because i did not waste over $40 to not be able to play it. Is there ANY way i can play it with an older graphics card?
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Hello. My iMac meets all the requirements except for the graphics card. I can not afford to buy a new computer and really want to play it because i did not waste over $40 to not be able to play it. Is there ANY way i can play it with an older graphics card?

What graphics card do you have?
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    katkategal1katkategal1 Posts: 44 Member
    I have a captain os mac, is that bad?
  • Options
    El Capitan? I'd upgrade if I were you to insure that no malware infects your Mac.
  • Options
    ArtisticCEArtisticCE Posts: 17 New Member
    I currently play TS4 on a 13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina (base model). I have all of the released EP's, two GP's, two SP's, and around 3GB of CC. My game runs smoothly with a little lag here and there on high settings with edge-smoothing and reflections sat to medium. Just as everyone else, I am a little worried that I will not be able to run the game anymore if I purchase and install Cats and Dogs in November due to the graphics card.

My specs are as followed:

Processor: 2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz)
    Memory: 8GB Ram
    Storage: 128GB PCIe-based flash storage
    Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics 6100
    Operating System - MacOS Sierra (latest MacOS)

Do you think with these specs, I will still be able to play TS4 on my MacBook? It works perfectly right now, like really well, but I currently only have around 40GB of flash storage left so that is also an issue along with the graphics card.

I may just have to invest in a gaming PC...
  • Options
    ArtisticCEArtisticCE Posts: 17 New Member
    @BluebellFlora I was told to contact you regarding this matter since you seem to be the expert when it comes to us Mac users. I would highly appreciate your insight. Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    I am not an expert, so wait for Bluebell's answer. I looked at your specs. I see one problem with your laptop. Sims requires a dedicated graphic card. Also laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware, so keep in mind that the minimum requirements are for desktop. I believe you fall under the minimum requirements, even without the new EP. Playing Sims in a laptop that doesn't meet the requirements can cause damage to your laptop, so be aware of that if you continue playing on it.

Just for you to check, here are the minimum requirements:
    MINIMUM OS: Mac OS® X 10.7.5 (Lion)
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Processor or better
    RAM: At least 4 GB RAM
    HARD DRIVE: At least 3 GB of free space (14 GB if installing with The Sims 4) with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games
    VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, A/bTI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or better. Video RAM of 256MB or better
    INPUT: Keyboard and Mouse
    ONLINE REQUIREMENTS: Internet connection required for product activation.Do I need to purchase the PC and Mac versions separately?Just like The Sims 4, one purchase gets you both the PC and Mac versions.
  • Options
    @ArtisticCE

I'm not an expert, just been using Macs for an awfully long time :)

No one can say how the new pets EP will perform on any Mac yet because it hasn't been released. Your Mac is ok and does meet the minimum requirements but you may have to lower settings as you add more to the game otherwise it may get horribly laggy. A dedicated graphics card would be ideal but is not required, so long as you understand the limitations performance wise.

Make sure your Mac is always elevated when playing to enable air to circulate, the aluminium casing helps dissipate heat.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    pinkkbellepinkkbelle Posts: 31 Member
    It runs really well on my Macbook Pro!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    @ArtisticCE Just an idea, AS Blurbellflora mentioned cats and dogs is not out yet so we don't know the specifics on how much more powerful it will be to a computer. If you buy the ep and it can't run on your Mac you can always switch to PC without having to repurchase the ep. Also Black Friday though Christmas is a good time to find sales on a PC
  • Options
    miyamykemiyamyke Posts: 2 New Member
    Will my Macbook run the Sims 4?
    Macbook 13 inch, late 2009
    OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
    2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB memory 1067 MHz DDR3, graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
    my storage 227.72 GB free or 249.2 GB?
  • Options
    miyamyke wrote: »
    Will my Macbook run the Sims 4?
    Macbook 13 inch, late 2009
    OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
    2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB memory 1067 MHz DDR3, graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
    my storage 227.72 GB free or 249.2 GB?

It doesn’t meet the minimum system requirements unfortunately :(

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Will my friend's iMac be able to run S4 Cats and Dogs along with other packs?

-3.06 GHz Intel core 2 duo
    -4gb 1067 Mhz DDR3
    -NVIDIA Gforce 9400 256 mb
    -about 500gb of storage
    Mafia Stats

• Options
    Will my friend's iMac be able to run S4 Cats and Dogs along with other packs?

-3.06 GHz Intel core 2 duo
    -4gb 1067 Mhz DDR3
    -NVIDIA Gforce 9400 256 mb
    -about 500gb of storage

It's the same Mac specs as posted right above your post (post by user miyamyje) and Bluebellflora stated that Mac does not meet minimum requirements
  • Options
    Also, since Cats and Dogs hasn't been released yet, we cannot answer what machines will or will not run the EP. We will know more next month.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    @Tremayne4260 with 4gb ram they may have issues. We do know they upped the ram requirement for PC and Mac to 4gb ram just for the game not including other things that might use ram on your computer while playing the game.. What the new ep will do to processor and video card is still unk.

PS If someone can't run it and they buy the EP, EA is not giving a refund. i have been telling people on PC to wait before buying if they are under requirements till we know more of how this EP will effect video card and processor
  • Options
    True. But until the EP is released, we still don't know what affects it will have on certain computers. 4GB won't run much of anything game wise these days (not just Sims, but other games as well).
  • Options
    Darn :( I doubted it would run, anyway.
    Mafia Stats

• Options
    True. But until the EP is released, we still don't know what affects it will have on certain computers. 4GB won't run much of anything game wise these days (not just Sims, but other games as well).

I know. Most computers now have installed 8gb computer ram as the minimum. 4gb or less is for tablets or lower end machines for light computer tasks. Even some computers for light tasks still come with 8gb ram. My advice is have 16 gb for future proofing. There are some games out there that require 8gb ram just for the games and don't include the extra ram you need to run other programs on the computer while gaming. Mac is not designed to run those heavier games. I'm actually shocked by some of the game specs out there. You need a rocketship PC to run some of them
  • Options
    camilletheriaultcamilletheriault Posts: 1 New Member
    Will the Sims 4 run on my iMac?

MacOS Sierra 10.12.6
    1,6 GHz Intel Core i5
    8 Go 1867 MHz DDR3
    Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 Mo

Thanks in advance!