Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

- Can my Mac run The Sims 4? Answers can be found here -

Comments

• Options
    EckoEcko Posts: 9 New Member
    Hey tomorrow im going to buy a macbook pro and I was wondering if these specs we're good:

And what graphics mode can I play sims 4 on?

2.3GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor
    Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    8GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
    128GB SSD storage1
    Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    It is still working fine and since I am getting a gaming desktop very soon, I am not too worried! Thank you though!

Ok good as long as your getting back up should your Mac not be able to run pets. We are warning people because EA won't give you a refund should you not be able to run pets ep
  • Options
    LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    @phoebebebe13 I am planning to get the gaming pc before pets comes out. Thank you though!
  • Options
    Ecko wrote: »
    Hey tomorrow im going to buy a macbook pro and I was wondering if these specs we're good:

Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    128GB SSD storage1

you should have a dedicated video card and larger hard drive. @BluebellFlora of @Tremayne4260 can help you further
  • Options
    [quote="phoebebebe13;c-16005205"][quote="Ecko;c-16005166"]Hey tomorrow im going to buy a macbook pro and I was wondering if these specs we're good:

Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    128GB SSD storage1
    Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640[/quote]

you should have a dedicated video card and larger hard drive. @BluebellFlora of @Tremayne4260 can help you further [/quote]

Is it good though? Like to play on normal grapics
  • Options

Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    128GB SSD storage1

you should have a dedicated video card and larger hard drive. @BluebellFlora of @Tremayne4260 can help you further

Is it good though? Like to play on normal grapics

Probably not because that has an integrated video card. They just upped the computer specs for both Mac and PC for the new pets EP . That hard drive is also too small.

I don't play on Mac , I help with PC so you need to speak the people I paged to help you further with Mac choice before you buy it.
  • Options
    @LenaDieters11 Awesome!!! If you need help picking out a desktop come into PC tech and we can help you with that. If your building or going custom speak to user chesterbigbird who is a PC build expert and can advise you to get the best PC for your money
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member

Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    128GB SSD storage1

13"MacBook Pro? It's not ideal but you may be ok. 128Gb is definitely not enough storage space though unless you're only planning on using the Mac for Sims, no photos/music etc.

Your game will start to lag if you install a bunch of Expansion/Stuff/Game Packs and CC/Mods because the integrated Intel Iris graphics just aren't very powerful. Lowering all your graphics settings in game may help.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    @BluebellFlora is this better?

Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    256GB SSD storage1
    Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
  • Options
    @BluebellFlora is this better?

Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    256GB SSD storage1
    Two Thunderbolt 3 ports

That's just upping your storage. A good graphics card and processor are the most important components for gaming. Your processor is fine but it's the Intel Iris graphics which will slow down the rendering and cause lag in the game. You will be able to play but don't expect high performance gameplay on high settings with all packs installed. If you start adding in CC, particularly high poly CC, your game will really start to slow down. The higher spec. 15" MacBook Pro would be preferable.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    @Ecko besides what Blubellflora is telling you about the video card, I own a 256 gb ssd on my computer. It gets used up quickly. You really need 500 gb hard drive or more. Especially if your planning on putting other things on there besides the game
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 @BluebellFlora I just bought the computer (13 inch one) and Im happy with it. The game is running fine on normal graphics mode. And the only thing I will have on this computer is sims 4 and thats pretty much it.. I will also use it for school, but we use google documents etc.. (online things) So I think I made the right decision :)
  • Options
    @Ecko If you bought the intel iris and not a dedicated AMD video card as Blubellflora advised, you may have issues adding more eps, packs , gps and patches. If your playing on Mac or PC it's good to have recommended requirements on your computer so you survive the game and all it's add ons. You may fall behind adding more things to this game if your under the recommended requirements . Enjoy your new Mac
  • Options
    FloppyFishFloppyFish Posts: 3,881 Member
    Can this iMac run Sims 4 + cats and dogs / other DLC on high graphics?
    3.0GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor
    Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
    8GB 2400MHz memory, configurable to 16GB
    1TB hard drive1
    Radeon Pro 555 with 2GB video memory
    Mafia Stats
    Games Played: 14 | Games Won: 8 | Games Lost: 6
    Times Town: 9 | Times Mafia: 2 | Times 3rd: 2
    Town Wins: 6 | Mafia Wins: 1 | 3rd Wins: 1
    Deaths: 8

• Options
    @phoebebebe13 @BluebellFlora maybe you guys would know?
    Mafia Stats

• Options
    @FloppyFish

Cats & Dogs isn't out yet so no one can give you an answer on that.

You should be fine with your 2GB GPU.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    @FloppyFish I only do PC. I don't play on Mac so I can't answer you.
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    @FloppyFish Also remember that most laptops are designed to be "on the go" computers. The longer any Sims series goes on, Sims 3 for example. The more information is added with each new EP or SP or items from the Store. Same with Sims 4. If you only plan to run the base game and a couple of SPs and maybe one EP, you could be fine. But every time something new is added, it takes more processing and graphics power to run your game. And if you add on CC or mods, they too add to the mix.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    @Tremayne4260 @BluebellFlora @FloppyFish I just did a comparison of the Radeon pro 555 to the Nvidia GTX 960m . the 960m is what we recommend on laptop or better The radeon card is below that if you compare cards on GPU Boss web . The 960m is a much better card
  • Options
    Wait, will the computer not run Sims 4 + EPS, GPs, some SPs on high? :(
    Mafia Stats

• Options
    @FloppyFish Also remember that most laptops are designed to be "on the go" computers. The longer any Sims series goes on, Sims 3 for example. The more information is added with each new EP or SP or items from the Store. Same with Sims 4. If you only plan to run the base game and a couple of SPs and maybe one EP, you could be fine. But every time something new is added, it takes more processing and graphics power to run your game. And if you add on CC or mods, they too add to the mix.

It isn't a laptop. It is a desktop.
    Mafia Stats

• Options
    Blaze_BardBlaze_Bard Posts: 93 Member
    My current computer can run The Sims 4 just fine, but since the Cats and Dogs EP will have updated system requirements, I'm not sure if my computer will be able to run that. I already posted in the Can My Computer Run Cats and Dogs thread in the EP section of the forums and got redirected over here.

I looked up the updated Mac specs for Cats and Dogs:

>MINIMUM OS: Mac OS® X 10.7.5 (Lion)
    >
    >CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Processor or better
    >
    >RAM: At least 4 GB RAM
    >
    >HARD DRIVE: At least 3 GB of free space (14 GB if installing with The Sims 4) with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved >games
    >
    >VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce 320M, 9600M, 9400M, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or better. Video RAM of 256MB or better.
    >
    >INPUT: Keyboard and Mouse
    >
    >ONLINE REQUIREMENTS: Internet connection required for product activation.

I think my computer will meet those requirements, except I'm not sure about the video card. Could someone who knows more about tech than I do tell me if an AMD Radeon 6750M is better or worse than the listed video cards?
    "Good night -- even if you don't have a good knight." -- Ace Niles, Space Case
  • Options
    FloppyFish wrote: »
    It isn't a laptop. It is a desktop.

Yes, an iMac is a desktop computer but it is built with laptop components. That's how Apple manage to make it so nice and thin. The advantage the iMacs have over the high spec. 15" MacBook Pro is obviously a bigger screen and better cooling but they still get pretty hot.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Blaze_Bard wrote: »
    My current computer can run The Sims 4 just fine, but since the Cats and Dogs EP will have updated system requirements, I'm not sure if my computer will be able to run that. I already posted in the Can My Computer Run Cats and Dogs thread in the EP section of the forums and got redirected over here.

I looked up the updated Mac specs for Cats and Dogs:

>MINIMUM OS: Mac OS® X 10.7.5 (Lion)
    >
    >CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Processor or better
    >
    >RAM: At least 4 GB RAM
    >
    >HARD DRIVE: At least 3 GB of free space (14 GB if installing with The Sims 4) with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved >games
    >
    >VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce 320M, 9600M, 9400M, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or better. Video RAM of 256MB or better.
    >
    >INPUT: Keyboard and Mouse
    >
    >ONLINE REQUIREMENTS: Internet connection required for product activation.

I think my computer will meet those requirements, except I'm not sure about the video card. Could someone who knows more about tech than I do tell me if an AMD Radeon 6750M is better or worse than the listed video cards?

It's better but you haven't stated the VRAM size?

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    FloppyFish wrote: »
    Wait, will the computer not run Sims 4 + EPS, GPs, some SPs on high? :(

It should do.

Edit - In this post you stated a 4Gb graphics card. Is it a different Mac or a typo?
    apple-signature.png