Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How many/what languages can you speak?

Comments

• Options
    Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    British English and American English. :(

Occasional French, German or Spanish phrase (from holiday phrasebooks/school). The odd Greek/Latin word from science.

I think that's the problem with being born in an English-speaking country, to English parents. No incentive to learn them. People in bi-lingual/poly-lingual families or countries (such as those in central Europe) pick them up naturally.

I somewhat disagree with this . An English speaker would be able to pick up a romance language just as easy if not easier than someone who speaks a romance language .English has a lot of intricacies that many other languages dont while at the same time having many of the same root words
  • Options
    kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    I think that's the problem with being born in an English-speaking country, to English parents. No incentive to learn them.

I can kind of understand that. Even though I wasn't born in an English-speaking country or to English speaking parents, as soon as I learned English well enough at school, I got the feeling there really isn't any need to learn any other language (besides my native language of course). While of course, as I said in my previous post, I think it is a kind of shame I've let myself forget all the other languages I've learned.

01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

• Options
    @SimSwim2 and @Simpkin, I'm curious: what made you learn Finnish? I get the idea that if anyone starts learning it as a foreign language it's mostly because they have some relatives or ancestors or something in Finland. So, what's your story? :)

Considering the language, I think this one's pretty funny:
    finnish_lesson1.jpg

• Options
    SimSwim2SimSwim2 Posts: 2,481 Member
    @kati77 When I was in college, I did an overseas internship in Finland. I went to culinary school at The Culinary Institute of America. I spent a semester learning all about Finnish foods while in Finland. I found I really like Kaalikääryleet, which are cabbage rolls. I travel the world to 3rd world countries to give back to the needy. I also travel the world to learn about cusines in different countries.
    Origin ID: StripedRainbow
  • Options
    SimSwim2 wrote: »
    @kati77 When I was in college, I did an overseas internship in Finland. I went to culinary school at The Culinary Institute of America. I spent a semester learning all about Finnish foods while in Finland. I found I really like Kaalikääryleet, which are cabbage rolls. I travel the world to 3rd world countries to give back to the needy. I also travel the world to learn about cusines in different countries.

Oh, that sounds fun. Did you stay in Helsinki?

Itse en pidä kaalikääryleistä, mutta mitä mieltä olet mämmistä ja karjalanpiirakoista? :)

But I guess that explains you learning so many languages. I suppose it's easy for you. I really wish it was easier for me.

• Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Forgot to mention which languages I speak... English, French & Arabic.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    SimSwim2SimSwim2 Posts: 2,481 Member
    edited December 2014
    kati77 wrote: »

Itse en pidä kaalikääryleistä, mutta mitä mieltä olet mämmistä ja karjalanpiirakoista? :)

But I guess that explains you learning so many languages. I suppose it's easy for you. I really wish it was easier for me.

mämmistä ja Karjalan ovat herkullisia . Pidätkö Glögi jouluksi ? Se glögiä . Se on niin hyvä . :smile:

Learning languages comes naturally for me. It's a lot of fun learning new languages. I want to learn some of the languages of Africa next.

Yes, I did stay in Helsinki. It's a very pretty city. I was there last Christmas actually to attend the Lucia parade for Christmas. My hubby loves traveling with me around the world as long as he's able to take off time from work. It's easy for him since he creates his own schedule. He's self-employed and works from home a lot. He takes his computer with him and works from wherever we go. Our 6 1/2 year old twin girls travel with us sometimes. They are homeschooled. Going to Japan in 2 weeks to adopt a 2 year old little girl.

I've done a lot more than most people my age. I am only 23 years old. But, I have an old soul as I call it. I am very mature.
    Origin ID: StripedRainbow
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited December 2014
    @kati77

I live in a Estonia so... I had to choose between Finnish adn German. I thought Finnish would be easier since it's similar to Estonian but I was wrong :D It's so difficult. I only remember "kukkamaljakko" and "Amerikalainen opiskelija 🐸🐸🐸🐸 tuli Suomeen koska hän halua opetella hiihtämään". I'm not sure the sentence is correct. :D
    I live in the south of Estonia so I don't know any Finnish, the people in North do.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    Simpkin wrote: »
    @kati77

I live in a Estonia so... I had to choose between Finnish adn German. I thought Finnish would be easier since it's similar to Estonian but I was wrong :D It's so difficult. I only remember "kukkamaljakko" and "Amerikalainen opiskelija 🐸🐸🐸🐸 tuli Suomeen koska hän halua opetella hiihtämään". I'm not sure the sentence is correct. :D
    I live in the south of Estonia so I don't know any Finnish, the people in North do.

Oh, that explains it :) I actually think it wouldn't be easy for me to learn Estonian either. One of my friends, on the other hand, studied a couple of years in Tartu. I think she learned Estonian pretty well.

And your sentences are correct :)

• Options

mämmistä ja Karjalan ovat herkullisia . Pidätkö Glögi jouluksi ? Se glögiä . Se on niin hyvä . :smile:

Learning languages comes naturally for me. It's a lot of fun learning new languages. I want to learn some of the languages of Africa next.

Yes, I did stay in Helsinki. It's a very pretty city. I was there last Christmas actually to attend the Lucia parade for Christmas. My hubby loves traveling with me around the world as long as he's able to take off time from work. It's easy for him since he creates his own schedule. He's self-employed and works from home a lot. He takes his computer with him and works from wherever we go. Our 6 1/2 year old twin girls travel with us sometimes. They are homeschooled. Going to Japan in 2 weeks to adopt a 2 year old little girl.

I've done a lot more than most people my age. I am only 23 years old. But, I have an old soul as I call it. I am very mature.

Kyllä, glögi on hyvää :) Oh, and I live in Helsinki. I quite like it, although I would prefer a bigger city.

• Options

Oh, that explains it :) I actually think it wouldn't be easy for me to learn Estonian either. One of my friends, on the other hand, studied a couple of years in Tartu. I think she learned Estonian pretty well.

And your sentences are correct :)
    Ooh, I live in Tartu :D

blunote00 wrote: »
    I used to speak and read Spanish/French/Arabic but haven't spoken any of them fluently in a long time. I can still read them all with a bit of help though. :blush:

ETA: I assume you meant in addition to English. ;)
    I didn't actually since there are simmers from around the world on this froum ;)
  • Options
    Alistair_32Alistair_32 Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited December 2014
    4 in total: German, English, French, Turkish.

I have always wanted to learn Latin at some point. Don't know if I'll ever do it. :D
  • Options
    @Simpkin, I think it might be interesting to visit Tartu some time. I've only been to Tallinn. I think the contemporary art museum Kumu has very good exhibitions.

• Options
    I don't know anything about Tallinn. I don't like the place. I think people are so rude and arrogant. So I'd definitely recommend Tartu :)

• Options
    rebeccarebecca Posts: 62 Member
    french and english
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Mostly English. I can pronounce languages if I'm reading them on paper (for example, if I'm singing a song in German, Spanish or Latin), but I can't speak them off the top of my head (a teeny bit of German, perhaps, from my high school days; I can ask "where is the bathroom?" which is probably the most important question in any language. B) ).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    HeartfulPeachHeartfulPeach Posts: 857 Member
    Spanish, English and a little of Japanese. I used to speak French but I forgot most of what I learned since I didn't practice it. I'm planning on going to Croatia to study their language next year.
    317chzb.jpg
    A big thanks to SimChic1 for making my simself in my avatar!
    Princess Peach Rocks!
  • Options
    PixelsSquaredPixelsSquared Posts: 3,265 Member
    I'm bilingual. I speak English (first language), Spanish. I also know the basics of French, German, and Japanese, so that sort of makes five languages (quintilingual I guess).
    ypU37gD.gif
    Pricefield forever.
    Time Won't Keep Us Apart - A story.
    MTS: SimsForever15 | Origin: vba152318 | Paradox: PixelsSquared | Simblr: PixelsSquared
  • Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    Just English and food.
    Yes, I speak food.
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Options
    RyeCris16RyeCris16 Posts: 2,293 Member
    Since I'm from Philippines, I spoke two languages; English and Tagalog (or Filipino if you called that). ;)
    EA ID: RyeCris16 | Tags: #RyeCris16
  • Options
    simlishtrsimlishtr Posts: 1,405 Member
    two.
  • Options
    GillieGillie Posts: 1,708 Member
    Bilingual.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    English, un poco espanol and ASL.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    Lollipop234Lollipop234 Posts: 251 Member
    German, English and French.
    I'm playing the Sims since day 1.
    I hate my username (Please forgive my younger self)
    Origin ID: VanillaxSimmer
    Raines legacy family tree

Visit my simblr!
  • Options
    Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    Just English and food.
    Yes, I speak food.

I fight with my food all the time it never wants to listen to me .