Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you think of the United States?

Comments

• Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Shadoza2 wrote: »
    Simpkin wrote: »
    America/americans tend to think they're better than the rest of the world but other than that they're a country/people like any other.
    Not true, you should never speak for everyone when you don't know what you are talking about. Someone may get offended.

It is true. I speak from numerous experiences. Some might think it's offensive when one thinks they're better than everyone else ;)

I am offended that you think that each person in the USA is exactly like the others. We are independently different and collectively a strong reflection of the rest of the world...because we are a nation of immigrants.
    that goes to show how highly some americans think of themselves. Even the randomest comment is an offence.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    dreamerz13 wrote: »
    TBH I find the US is one screwed up country, I've studied it a fair bit and have done extensive research on some things about it (most of which I don't remember tons about though) and I watch stuff about it on the news on a fairly regular basis. There's some very wrong things that go on in the states. That being said, I've met plenty of amazing Americans, the problem is not with the average citizen really but with the way the country is governed. Though there are some things like the behavior of people on Black Friday (we have Black Friday here but it's nothing like what I see out of the states. People don't turn into monsters to get a crappy TV here... usually), and the behavior of people with the whole Ferguson thing (burning down buildings that have nothing to do with the situation is not solving anything and is extremely disgusting) that just make me shake my head and wonder what's wrong with y'all... you do have an alarmingly violent country sometimes, a lot of times. It's not somewhere I'd ever live, but I've visited very briefly before just for a couple hours down in Idaho (while visiting my grandpa because he's close enough to the border), and I'd love to go visit again and visit different parts of the States because I enjoyed it and met some nice people.

Please, do not allow the news cause you to believe that our entire country is that way. It is not, only a couple places in a large country. The news stations report violence because they gain in ratings: they majority of our country is not violent at all.

I realize like everywhere you have areas that are better and worse. It's not just the news, crime is one of the things I've researched and it's difficult to remember all the stats, but per 100,000 people you guys have like I think 3 times the violent crime we do, and we have too much. You do have an alarmingly violent country at times, that crime can happen anywhere, I'm not trying to say everywhere there is always violent, but looking at your violent crime vs. ours has always been alarming. When I come from somewhere that has so much less crime, it does seem violent.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    America/americans tend to think they're better than the rest of the world but other than that they're a country/people like any other.
    Not true, you should never speak for everyone when you don't know what you are talking about. Someone may get offended.

It is true. I speak from numerous experiences. Some might think it's offensive when one thinks they're better than everyone else ;)

I am offended that you think that each person in the USA is exactly like the others. We are independently different and collectively a strong reflection of the rest of the world...because we are a nation of immigrants.
    that goes to show how highly some americans think of themselves. Even the randomest comment is an offence.

But what was said was also true. It's not accurate to label an entire country's population based off of a few independent's actions. Sorry if there have been a few rotten encounters in the past. We are not all good. We are also not all bad.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    MegandtheMoonMegandtheMoon Posts: 1,831 Member
    jcp011c2 wrote: »

But what was said was also true. It's not accurate to label an entire country's population based off of a few independent's actions. Sorry if there have been a few rotten encounters in the past. We are not all good. We are also not all bad.

Exactly.

When I was in NY, for every not so nice person I encountered, I always encountered someone lovely to balance it out :)

I'd not long had a knee operation when I went there and when I arrived I had to somehow get myself on and off the bus by myself with a walking stick and a heavy suitcase. The bus driver could see I was struggling but didn't offer to help! I was stunned. Perhaps he thought the walking stick was a prank or something, because I was so young. I don't know.

But anyway, this lovely guy from Texas rescued me. Lol. And he said if I was ever in Texas I was to look him up. Needless to say my incident with the bus driver was forgotten ;)

No matter where you are you get good people and you get some bad ones too.
    And sometimes it's the bad people who help you find someone good :blush:
    tumblr_nh3ivhx9ob1rs61ydo1_500.gif
  • Options
    Lollipop234Lollipop234 Posts: 251 Member
    This topic is difficult, because people can get easily offended. Where I live Americans often have the reputation for thinking that they are better than other countries. But I don't think that that's neccesarily true. I think the USA is just a really proud country, they are proud of their history and their freedom. And that is not a bad thing.
    I was in the US two times and the landscapes are really beautiful. The people are really nice, like strangers start talking to you on the streets, and that would never ever happen here in Germany.
    But there are also some things in the USA that I wouldn't like for my own country like the pretty much not existing social system or the pretty much not existing health care system. And that everyone has the possibility to carry around a gun. That would scare me.
    But I know Americans consider these things as their freedom. So they are not to blame for that.
    I'm playing the Sims since day 1.
    I hate my username (Please forgive my younger self)
    Origin ID: VanillaxSimmer
    Raines legacy family tree

Visit my simblr!
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited December 2014
    I enjoy my freedom that USA provides to all its citizens. However there is a lot of wrong going on in this country behind closed doors and out in the open as well. But I feel this is not just a USA problem, it's a world problem. Meaning the bad and the ugly happens all over the world. Good thing I'm not of this world. My sight is set on the promised land.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    edited December 2014
    Switch "United States" - before we wind up starting WW3

What do YOU think of the United States?

We should rescue our country's flagship. Built in 1952, retired in 1969 and STILL awaiting her fate. As a ship that bears the country's name, it'd be a disgrace to have her cut to scrap.
    ssUnitedStates_zps2002d97a.jpg
    SS United States

The SS Rotterdam and Queen Mary were saved from the scrapyard. Why don't we save the "Big U" as well?
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options
    Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    And that everyone has the possibility to carry around a gun. That would scare me.

There are some interesting statistics on this actually . The cities /states with stricter gun laws have more violent crime than those with looser ones .
  • Options
    Shadecaster101Shadecaster101 Posts: 1,343 Member
    I am a United States citizen. Contrary to what a lot of people seem to believe, I don't find the United States the best country in the world. In my opinion, many other countries have far better political systems, culture, etc.

However, it is ridiculous to stereotype an entire country based on only a few of its individuals. In my experience living here, I have encountered more people that are envious of other countries than those who believe that they are the best country in the world. Of course they both exist, but like every country, that is to be expected from a large group of people with varying personalities and values.
  • Options
    thesimsfairy47thesimsfairy47 Posts: 6,116 Member
    edited December 2014
    TBH I find the US is one screwed up country, I've studied it a fair bit and have done extensive research on some things about it (most of which I don't remember tons about though) and I watch stuff about it on the news on a fairly regular basis. There's some very wrong things that go on in the states. That being said, I've met plenty of amazing Americans, the problem is not with the average citizen really but with the way the country is governed. Though there are some things like the behavior of people on Black Friday (we have Black Friday here but it's nothing like what I see out of the states. People don't turn into monsters to get a crappy TV here... usually), and the behavior of people with the whole Ferguson thing (burning down buildings that have nothing to do with the situation is not solving anything and is extremely disgusting) that just make me shake my head and wonder what's wrong with y'all... you do have an alarmingly violent country sometimes, a lot of times. It's not somewhere I'd ever live, but I've visited very briefly before just for a couple hours down in Idaho (while visiting my grandpa because he's close enough to the border), and I'd love to go visit again and visit different parts of the States because I enjoyed it and met some nice people.

It's not nice to call America screwed up especially when there are so many Americans here.

I would really like to visit America :D Does any one have some suggestion?
    Sims 5 artstyle poll Here
    monday-to-friday-workweek-graphic.jpg
  • Options
    Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member

It's not nice to call America screwed up especially when there are so many Americans here.

Visit the Midwest. The people are nice, the roads are less crowded, and there are some amazing sites.
  • Options

Visit the Midwest. The people are nice, the roads are less crowded, and there are some amazing sites.

Kansas is in the Midwest( I think), that reminds of the Wizard of Oz lol
  • Options
    Are only americans allowed freedom of speech?
  • Options

That's not what I meant, I just don't think it is nice to insult other people's country. How would you feel if someone said nasty things about your country?
  • Options
    Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member

California . More specifically Yosemite National Park .
  • Options
    That's not what I meant, I just don't think it is nice to insult other people's country. How would you feel if someone said nasty things about your country?
    People were asked for their opinion. If they can't handle the negative opinions maybe they shouldn't have asked then.
  • Options

Yes, Kansas is in the Midwest.
    There is the Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota.
    Historic sites along the Mississippi River
    Racing, camping, spelunking, fishing...many things to do that cost little to nothing

Also Yellowstone Park, which isn't exactly Midwest, but a very interesting place to visit.
  • Options

I would recommend leaving it go. Sometimes the best way to deal with negativity is to ignore it.
  • Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    edited December 2014
    No one has mentioned Colorado... :'(
    okay-meme-smiley-emoticon.png
  • Options
    MegandtheMoonMegandtheMoon Posts: 1,831 Member
    colton147 wrote: »

I could be persuaded. ;)
    tumblr_nh3ivhx9ob1rs61ydo1_500.gif
  • Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member

Yes, Kansas is in the Midwest.
    There is the Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota.
    Historic sites along the Mississippi River
    Racing, camping, spelunking, fishing...many things to do that cost little to nothing

Also Yellowstone Park, which isn't exactly Midwest, but a very interesting place to visit.

Yay for the MOA! (MN girl here :D

The Black Hills in South Dakota is a gorgeous area. Custer State Park, Mount Rushmore and the Badlands National Park are must sees

Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Options
    HeartfulPeachHeartfulPeach Posts: 857 Member
    edited December 2014
    I think it's a country that has easy access to many things. Whenever I want something that's unavailable here I have to ask someone who travels there to bring me stuff that aren't shipped here...

From what I've seen on TV it looks like a nice country but I've yet to experience USA personally. I've gone to Florida to visit DisneyWorld and I HATED the weather there, I prefer colder climates. But I don't think I can say anthing about the country from a visit to DisneyWorld since that would be limited.
    Jimil wrote: »
    I wanna go and see Texas :\

I'd love to visit Texas too! I wonder if the people there are nice when it comes to foreigners I'm into cowboy stuff, you can shoot me now
    colton147 wrote: »

What's in Colorado? I mean, it's not that I don't want to go there but is there something that would scream "Come visit Colorado for *insert reason here*"?

All in all, I'd like to go to USA no matter which state, I think I'd have a blast! To California!
    317chzb.jpg
    A big thanks to SimChic1 for making my simself in my avatar!
    Princess Peach Rocks!
  • Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    edited December 2014
    @HeartfulPeach‌
    Texas is great! We're really friendly :innocent:

If you want to see cowboy stuff then you're gonna wanna go to towns and not the cities. But we do have cowboy shops and souvenirs ;)
    And I recommend the rodeos.
  • Options
    Anyone from Florida? Is it nice over there?
  • Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    What's in Colorado? I mean, it's not that I don't want to go there but is there something that would scream "Come visit Colorado for *insert reason here*"?

All in all, I'd like to go to USA no matter which state, I think I'd have a blast! To California!

Colorado has a certain plant that is legal here. B)