The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Open for Business the first expansion? New concept art suggests so!

Comments

• Options
    WhereAreMahPantsWhereAreMahPants Posts: 31 Member
    edited November 2014
    > @Jonalin said:
    > But I do take exception to your last statement. Toddlers (speaking only for myself), aren't integral to my game play. I toyed with them for a NewYorkMinute when you could push them in a stroller. Then, I was done. When I do/did play with kids, it was always from a child-age range, if at all.

I do the same as you. I'd age up those toddlers as fast as possible because, in my opinion, they were way too tedious to deal with for long. Apparently I'm in the minority since I actually prefer the babies aging up to children.

(Sorry about the mess up on the quote. I keep trying to get it to post correctly, but it won't for some reason. Oh well.)
    Post edited by WhereAreMahPants on
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Sanho wrote: »
    No no no no no no no no. I'm disappointed ; _ ; I wanted a family EP.

EA need to focus on things for our Sims to do, before worrying about family stuff.

Family stuff is nice, but The Sims 4 needs Gameplay. Having a toddler and family interactions just gives us more to do in terms of things we already have.
    Right now, we need more to experience.

Family will probably come 2nd or 3rd. Family Fun Stuff (which also brought in new interactions) and Generations both came 4th in release order.

Toddlers is gameplay. Toddlers is practically a symbol for everyone that loves legacy and family style GAMEPLAY, I'm guessing you're not a generational/legacy player or don't care much for toddlers and families, but for those of us who do family play is the whole game. That is what we want to experience.

If EA waits that long to bring in toddlers, I will be FURIOUS. This game is broken to me without family gameplay and it's really hard for me to play, all of my families are in stasis and aren't having any children because of this horrible situation. I'm tired of people that don't play toddlers saying that they're just more work and aren't gameplay. I enjoy that "work" to me growing and developing a family is the entire gameplay of the sims, the same as other people enjoy grinding their sims to the top of their careers. Not having toddlers for me is as if they released the game with no careers and sims couldn't leave their home lot, that is how broken the game looks to me.

Creating and developing a complex family is the gameplay that I want to experience, so they need to roll out a family EP ASAP or they're going to loose me as a customer, I can't hold out for this stuff much longer. I've been playing since TS1 and if they continue to jerk me around on this for much longer, I will leave this series. I'm tired of seeing everyone else get what they want in pool patches and ghosts and everything else while us family players are ignored.

It had better come 1st or 2nd otherwise I will be boycotting all EP's and future content of TS4 until we get toddlers and family gameplay back, because for some of us that is the entire experience and gameplay, though you may not see it that way, the way that we play is just as valid as anyone else's.

If they wait until the 4th EP to release a family EP, I will be LIVID. There wasn't as much need in TS3 to release a generations EP first or second, TS3 didn't have a cracked-wacked up base game that totally messed up 2 lifestages. Right now the base game of TS4 is BROKEN in my opinion because teenagers look like adults, babies are nothing but objects and toddlers were just tossed out without a care. That is unacceptable in my opinion and what they need to do is FIX IT and sooner rather than later, because if not, these forums will erupt in riots. I will get OFB if it's the first EP, but if the second EP isn't a family theme or they wait until the 4th EP to release it, I am going to boycott all EP's until they release a family EP. I will accept the first as OFB and will probably get it if it's OFB, but if the second EP isn't a family EP, I am boycotting all EP's until they release a family EP. It's ridiculous that we even have to ask to have toddlers put back in the game in the first place, messed up ridiculous base game. A family EP should have been first for this horrible borked up base game.

Family stuff isn't just 'nice' it's integral--EDIT: At least to me, and a ton of other simmers.

I totally agree.
    For those of you whose play styles werent thrown out you will never understand the depth of feeling when we, as a group, already feel penalised that elements of our game are viewed as 'uninportant' and were cut at the last minute-when for many of us its completely game breaking for us. I bought 4. I cant play it because I CANT enjoy it.

I, for one, will refuse to buy. Hear that EA?! I've had enough of this sort of 'we are listening' then turning round and completely disregarding a large group of fans. Its rude above all else. Once you decide you ARE listening and SHOW us some GOOD FAITH then I will consider supporting sims 4 but until then forget it. You could always TELL us that you really do 'GET' us and our concerns, but instead we have nothing, no glimmer of hope and then we get patches-then this. Unbelievable.

I will not support a game that treats a key section of your fanbase as a poor relation in favour of everyone else.

I'm sure I will not be the only one-I have bought EVERYTHING youve ever released since SIMS 1. This sort of treatment, as a customer, is unacceptable to me, and many others.

You may now understand that for some of us this really is something that we care passionately about, and we have had no answer on whether you will cater for us ever. You cannot expect us to keep 'hanging around' for better. Maybe thats what you want, maybe you hope we all disappear, but then so does the money we have shovelled into this game over the years.
  • Options
    CowPlantForHireCowPlantForHire Posts: 6,002 Member

EA need to focus on things for our Sims to do, before worrying about family stuff.

Family stuff is nice, but The Sims 4 needs Gameplay. Having a toddler and family interactions just gives us more to do in terms of things we already have.
    Right now, we need more to experience.

Family will probably come 2nd or 3rd. Family Fun Stuff (which also brought in new interactions) and Generations both came 4th in release order.

Toddlers is gameplay. Toddlers is practically a symbol for everyone that loves legacy and family style GAMEPLAY, I'm guessing you're not a generational/legacy player or don't care much for toddlers and families, but for those of us who do family play is the whole game. That is what we want to experience.

If EA waits that long to bring in toddlers, I will be FURIOUS. This game is broken to me without family gameplay and it's really hard for me to play, all of my families are in stasis and aren't having any children because of this horrible situation. I'm tired of people that don't play toddlers saying that they're just more work and aren't gameplay. I enjoy that "work" to me growing and developing a family is the entire gameplay of the sims, the same as other people enjoy grinding their sims to the top of their careers. Not having toddlers for me is as if they released the game with no careers and sims couldn't leave their home lot, that is how broken the game looks to me.

Creating and developing a complex family is the gameplay that I want to experience, so they need to roll out a family EP ASAP or they're going to loose me as a customer, I can't hold out for this stuff much longer. I've been playing since TS1 and if they continue to jerk me around on this for much longer, I will leave this series. I'm tired of seeing everyone else get what they want in pool patches and ghosts and everything else while us family players are ignored.

It had better come 1st or 2nd otherwise I will be boycotting all EP's and future content of TS4 until we get toddlers and family gameplay back, because for some of us that is the entire experience and gameplay, though you may not see it that way, the way that we play is just as valid as anyone else's.

If they wait until the 4th EP to release a family EP, I will be LIVID. There wasn't as much need in TS3 to release a generations EP first or second, TS3 didn't have a cracked-wacked up base game that totally messed up 2 lifestages. Right now the base game of TS4 is BROKEN in my opinion because teenagers look like adults, babies are nothing but objects and toddlers were just tossed out without a care. That is unacceptable in my opinion and what they need to do is FIX IT and sooner rather than later, because if not, these forums will erupt in riots. I will get OFB if it's the first EP, but if the second EP isn't a family theme or they wait until the 4th EP to release it, I am going to boycott all EP's until they release a family EP. I will accept the first as OFB and will probably get it if it's OFB, but if the second EP isn't a family EP, I am boycotting all EP's until they release a family EP. It's ridiculous that we even have to ask to have toddlers put back in the game in the first place, messed up ridiculous base game. A family EP should have been first for this horrible borked up base game.

Family stuff isn't just 'nice' it's integral--EDIT: At least to me, and a ton of other simmers.

I totally agree.
    For those of you whose play styles werent thrown out you will never understand the depth of feeling when we, as a group, already feel penalised that elements of our game are viewed as 'uninportant' and were cut at the last minute-when for many of us its completely game breaking for us. I bought 4. I cant play it because I CANT enjoy it.

I, for one, will refuse to buy. Hear that EA?! I've had enough of this sort of 'we are listening' then turning round and completely disregarding a large group of fans. Its rude above all else. Once you decide you ARE listening and SHOW us some GOOD FAITH then I will consider supporting sims 4 but until then forget it. You could always TELL us that you really do 'GET' us and our concerns, but instead we have nothing, no glimmer of hope and then we get patches-then this. Unbelievable.

I will not support a game that treats a key section of your fanbase as a poor relation in favour of everyone else.

I'm sure I will not be the only one-I have bought EVERYTHING youve ever released since SIMS 1. This sort of treatment, as a customer, is unacceptable to me, and many others.

You may now understand that for some of us this really is something that we care passionately about, and we have had no answer on whether you will cater for us ever. You cannot expect us to keep 'hanging around' for better. Maybe thats what you want, maybe you hope we all disappear, but then so does the money we have shovelled into this game over the years.

Audience-clapping.gif

My sentiments exactly.
    tumblr_msl1pmMPdd1sho68to1_400.gif
  • Options
    TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    Well open for business was my fave Ep so, I'm lovin' how this looks, but I also would prefer an update on toddlers and teens first.
  • Options
    DarciTheFoxDarciTheFox Posts: 1,589 Member
    Jonalin wrote: »

You certainly are all heated up about this, and that's your right. Your money, your opinion. Kudos :)

But I do take exception to your last statement. Toddlers (speaking only for myself), aren't integral to my game play. I toyed with them for a NewYorkMinute when you could push them in a stroller. Then, I was done. When I do/did play with kids, it was always from a child-age range, if at all.

Tday3_zps00758527.png

Yeah. I do get that way with this topic. I'm not exactly a rich person, I don't really get to go out very often. I don't go out to eat, I don't really ever go to the movies and I don't have money to do anything really, so what I save up my money for and spend it on means a lot to me. That money represents time in my life that I won't get back and if I'm going to spend it, I make sure I spend it on something that's worth it. I get really annoyed when I feel ripped off, because I don't have a lot of money to spend. The Sims and a few other games are my only vices and the only things that I splurge money on occasionally because you get far more gameplay in the long run for what you pay for it, but with a base game as borked up as TS4's, I only go in that game to write my sims story. Until we get family play, I feel like I was ripped off, big time. I thought I could get over not having toddlers, but I can't play the game for longer than an hour or so unless I'm playing my story family. All my other families don't have kids and are basically boring because I just can't get into TS4 without family gameplay.

I did edit my post, I know it's not integral to everyone, but it is for a lot of us. :D

Thank you for the nice reply.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    @jackjack_k

The Sims 1 didn't have toddlers. You're right there. BUT, the Sims 1 never had generational gameplay, either, so there was no need to cater to a certain group of people. The Sims 2 and the Sims 3 had generational gameplay built in (even though I'm sure the Dev Team never expected it to happen that way), so any added expansion packs were the icing on the cake.

Now, you keep implying that family/generational game-players are a tiny minority, and that the REST of you are more important and don't care about toddlers, or are willing to, how shall I say this?, ...take a patronizing attitude towards the family game player..."Suck it up, you can wait, the rest of us are more important".

And for those of you who are saying "We're not buying til they release an EP with toddlers"....don't hold your breath. Once EA gets it into its corporate head that plenty of fans will buy the EP *without* the toddlers, they won't be in any great hurry to patch them back in...or if they *do* add them to an expansion pack, then they'll be very limited, just bare bones...just enough for EA Corporate to say: "See? We gave you your stinkin' toddlers! Happy now? Okay, go out and buy our expansion packs!"

Like I said, if this first expansion pack does well without toddlers, you can pretty much kiss them goodbye. The only way they'll be added in is if EA doesn't get any profits with this first expansion pack, and the pre-orders aren't jut coming in in droves...which they won't be. And then, they'll do one of two things: Make the family EP in order to get sales back...or make one more EP, which will tell whether the series continues or gets dropped due to lack of sales.

Don't expect them to go out of their way to improve this game otherwise, not even if the sales are successful.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,873 Member
    No matter what decisions EA chooses for EPS, what theme, there is going to be a section of the player population that is unhappy or at very least would rather have seen something else come out. That's understandable, everyone wants what they want, and people want different things most. No matter what EP EA chooses they are going to win some players and lose some players. I do know they cannot release every EP at once or first, though.

I'm not saying you don't have a right to be disappointed, just consider there may have been people who were hoping Pets/Seasons/University - you pick whatever theme you want to fill in the blank - were first. They are equally disappointed. We can't all have it all at once.

For those who have given up on the game since it looks like a family oriented EP will not be first, hopefully you will be back when (if?) it is released. Until then, you're definitely in the right to choose what is best for you. No one can make that decision for you. But it does look like EA has made their decision on what the first EP will be.....and you simply have to choose how you respond to it and go from there.

Whatever everyone decides, happy simming be it Sims 1/2/3/4.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    NeroTrippeNeroTrippe Posts: 66 Member

I don't think that Maxis realized that a toddlers-plus EP was going to be desperately called for until post-release feedback (I do they get it now: there was a SimGuru-led topic with serious discussion about toddlers & family play in September); by then this first EP would have been well into its development cycle.

can you (or any other simmer) give a link or any lead to the discussion please? Thanks!
  • Options
    DarciTheFoxDarciTheFox Posts: 1,589 Member
    On topic though, I do love OFB and I am excited for it to finally return to the series. I will love to have this EP, I just wish that a generations EP was first instead, but I understand why they would do OFB first. It would get them a lot of kudos from everyone to release the expansion that's been begged for since TS2. I will get it, but if the second EP isn't family themed, I'm saving my money until there is a family EP. OFB will be fun though, and I think everyone will love it.
  • Options
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    @jackjack_k

The Sims 1 didn't have toddlers. You're right there. BUT, the Sims 1 never had generational gameplay, either, so there was no need to cater to a certain group of people. The Sims 2 and the Sims 3 had generational gameplay built in (even though I'm sure the Dev Team never expected it to happen that way), so any added expansion packs were the icing on the cake.

Now, you keep implying that family/generational game-players are a tiny minority, and that the REST of you are more important and don't care about toddlers, or are willing to, how shall I say this?, ...take a patronizing attitude towards the family game player..."Suck it up, you can wait, the rest of us are more important".

And for those of you who are saying "We're not buying til they release an EP with toddlers"....don't hold your breath. Once EA gets it into its corporate head that plenty of fans will buy the EP *without* the toddlers, they won't be in any great hurry to patch them back in...or if they *do* add them to an expansion pack, then they'll be very limited, just bare bones...just enough for EA Corporate to say: "See? We gave you your stinkin' toddlers! Happy now? Okay, go out and buy our expansion packs!"

Like I said, if this first expansion pack does well without toddlers, you can pretty much kiss them goodbye. The only way they'll be added in is if EA doesn't get any profits with this first expansion pack, and the pre-orders aren't jut coming in in droves...which they won't be. And then, they'll do one of two things: Make the family EP in order to get sales back...or make one more EP, which will tell whether the series continues or gets dropped due to lack of sales.

Don't expect them to go out of their way to improve this game otherwise, not even if the sales are successful.

Thank you! I'm absolutely sick of hearing that our play style isnt important. And EA/Maxis are encouraging this attitude by the way we are being treated over this. Its not even an obscure play style?! Seriously I really cannot believe the way we are being treated. Its so wrong when youve supported a title for so long. And I am also sad that people cant empathise. Its a pretty simple concept.
  • Options
    AnaCecilia63AnaCecilia63 Posts: 190 Member
    edited November 2014
    I hope those are not of the first EP. I would be dissapointed. There isn't one single thing I like in those pictures. Soooo sad. But we'll see. I hope this is just another rumor. Yes, I'd love Open for Business back, but not in The Sims 4. Maybe 5, I don't know. And the art in those pictures, just no no.

P.S. Give the family gameplay back, now!
    My Tumblr
    My Blog
    "First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win". ~ Mahatma Gandhi.
  • Options
    LokiSimsiesLokiSimsies Posts: 1,912 Member
    Makes me think of New Orleans. :)

Well Willow Creek is based on New Orleans :p

Being from New Orleans.....no, it is most definitely not based on New Orleans. It is a hybrid of many different southern US towns.

And back to the tease...

No!! I will not be seduced...no..,,

Look at that guitar statue, what can it be for?

No....must resist this evil temptation.
  • Options
    NeroTrippe wrote: »

I don't think that Maxis realized that a toddlers-plus EP was going to be desperately called for until post-release feedback (I do they get it now: there was a SimGuru-led topic with serious discussion about toddlers & family play in September); by then this first EP would have been well into its development cycle.

can you (or any other simmer) give a link or any lead to the discussion please? Thanks!

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/790584/ea-maxis-silence
    We had extensive comments on it with @SimGuruLindsay back in september. Its a long thread so youve been warned! But you can see why people are so disappointed that this far on we have no more indications on whether family play will be catered for.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    edited November 2014
    This is the link for Sims VIP where these pics obviously came from: http://simsvip.com/2014/11/24/the-sims-4-concepts-game-art-by-caiphus-moore/

If you notice there are also 'concept art' from objects we already have.

On the developers blog, it said it was a mix of current and old projects.

The pictures he uploaded of things we already have in game, were also on the internet a while ago. The ones in this thread, have never been seen.

Well, I'm not getting my hopes up only to be disappointed (again). I seriously doubt that we will se an EP before February of 2015 if that soon. And if the cost is as stupid as the base game, I'll be waiting for a sale.

EA - fool me once. shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. I'm not gonna be a fool for a game. Right now I am enjoying what I have in TS4, when I want more I play the Ultimate TS2 for Mac; and if I ever get my solid state hard drive for my Alienware I may be able to play TS3 again w/o having to wait an average of 7 minutes for the game to load ( and I have no CC or mods )

• Options
    NeroTrippeNeroTrippe Posts: 66 Member
    NeroTrippe wrote: »

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/790584/ea-maxis-silence
    We had extensive comments on it with @SimGuruLindsay back in september. Its a long thread so youve been warned! But you can see why people are so disappointed that this far on we have no more indications on whether family play will be catered for.

thanks heaps!! :))
  • Options
    munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    I don't think OFB comes with toddlers tho...
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    Why does everything have to be so large? The DJ booth looks like it take up at least a 6x3 tile footprint. Oh well, that's it for me. Time to move on.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    munchie885 wrote: »
    I don't think OFB comes with toddlers tho...

unless theres some weird story involved!
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited November 2014
    @jackjack_k

The Sims 2 console games didn't have generational play and they OUTSOLD the PC version by 19 million. I'm saying EA know what their main audience is, and it's not Generation gameplay. From a business standpoint, a Generations EP as the first EP isn't a smart move.

I'm sorry but this COMPLETELY off what I said and is also incredibly rude.

I am a family player. I have a family RIGHT now with every age available in The Sims 2. I love Family's. So I am in the group of people who was annoyed family tree's and toddlers were not in the game.

I NEVER said that I didn't care personally about Family payers. Nor did I say they can suck it up, or that other I was more important. How dare you put words in my mouth like that tbh.

I said EA focus on NEW content for a first EP, so from a BUSINESS standpoint, it makes sense to save The Sims 4 from being a complete flop and guaranteeing future content, EA need to appeal to the masses. Hot Date/Nightlife and Late Night were HUGE sellers. So EA are offering those up first. The Sims Deluxe, Sims 2 Deluxe and Sims 3 deluxe all featured those packs. Because Shopping, Nightclubs and Restaurants sell.

And The Sims 4 lacked Business/Shopping aspects and didn't feature proper Restaurants. So it's new content for players of The Sims 3. That's why it's good from a Business standpoint.

----

I would love a Generations pack for the first EP. I even chose Family Fun Stuff over the first 3 EP's for Sims 2 for Christmas, because I wanted more Family stuff.

But I understand why EA have not gone with a Generations pack first.

For some reason, If I'm not whining, kicking and screaming about a lack of Toddlers, I am not a family player.
  • Options
    blewis823 wrote: »
    Why does everything have to be so large? The DJ booth looks like it take up at least a 6x3 tile footprint. Oh well, that's it for me. Time to move on.

Have you seen DJ booths at clubs? They are large :p

calvinharris2-1024x686.jpg

• Options
    Makes me think of New Orleans. :)

Well Willow Creek is based on New Orleans :p

Being from New Orleans.....no, it is most definitely not based on New Orleans. It is a hybrid of many different southern US towns.

And back to the tease...

No!! I will not be seduced...no..,,

Look at that guitar statue, what can it be for?

No....must resist this evil temptation.

The developers said it was. Of course, it won't be exact.
  • Options
    CrackFoxCrackFox Posts: 1,507 Member
    Saw this earlier on Sims VIP. Looks good. Definitely looks from the photos like the florist business is making a return. I hope we have bakeries and salons as well. The salon was my favourite business back in 2.

I still don't think this is guranteed OFB. It could easily be Town/City Life which were two expansion also pegged by EA. Those places might be ran by NPC's for all we know.
  • Options
    I hope those are not of the first EP. I would be dissapointed. There isn't one single thing I like in those pictures. Soooo sad. But we'll see. I hope this is just another rumor. Yes, I'd love Open for Business back, but not in The Sims 4. Maybe 5, I don't know. And the art in those pictures, just no no.

P.S. Give the family gameplay back, now!

Hell no.

We have been waiting for business's since The Sims 2. No way are we waiting till 2018.
    WHY on Earth would you not want it for Sims 4, but Sims 5 instead?
  • Options
    @jackjack_k

Thank you! I'm absolutely sick of hearing that our play style isnt important. And EA/Maxis are encouraging this attitude by the way we are being treated over this. Its not even an obscure play style?! Seriously I really cannot believe the way we are being treated. Its so wrong when youve supported a title for so long. And I am also sad that people cant empathise. Its a pretty simple concept.

No one is saying it isn't important. We are just saying that it's more important to get the attention of the General Public so the Sims 4 era doesn't die early, than pleasing only fans.

And I do empathise. I have been for the last 9 months since we found out Toddlers weren't in the game. I was angry 9 months ago. Now I let it go, and now hope for an EP or Patch.

I will be Angry if the Sims 5 is announced before we get Toddlers etc. but to stay Angry until we get Generation content is unhealthy.
  • Options
    On topic though, I do love OFB and I am excited for it to finally return to the series. I will love to have this EP, I just wish that a generations EP was first instead, but I understand why they would do OFB first. It would get them a lot of kudos from everyone to release the expansion that's been begged for since TS2. I will get it, but if the second EP isn't family themed, I'm saving my money until there is a family EP. OFB will be fun though, and I think everyone will love it.

This was my entire argument though, which you got angry about. I literally said from a Business standpoint it makes sense why they went with Open For Business type EP first and you lost your marbles at me.

I don't even know anymore.