Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will the sims 4 run on windows 10

Comments

• Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link showing 10 will be a free upgrade, so hoping! I've been following reports and the last I saw of free was when it was still called 9 and was just a rumor

@ceejay402 - here you go:

http://www.techpowerup.com/209111/windows-10-to-be-free-upgrade-for-windows-8-1-and-windows-7-users.html

Cody
    thanks cody! very excited about not having to pay for yet another license :)
    Very excited about that.. cant wait to get rid of windows 8 on my laptop,
    My only concern will be driver and program compatibility.
    But honestly.. GOOBYE WINDOWS 8.. I will not miss you! :p

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    Does anyone have a link showing 10 will be a free upgrade, so hoping! I've been following reports and the last I saw of free was when it was still called 9 and was just a rumor

http://www.techpowerup.com/209111/windows-10-to-be-free-upgrade-for-windows-8-1-and-windows-7-users.html

Cody

Sadly my pc won't be able to run it like it can't run anything.....toaster :p
    Seriously though I'm sure it will run
    PC Specs:
    Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
    6685561181.png
    Rogers Ignite 70u internet
  • Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited January 2015
    the only real problem with OS version updates and OS major version updates is really the drivers need to be uninstalled and reinstalled as drivers are usually specific to that particular version of OS.

Proper upgrade from windows 8 to 8.1
    download install Windows 8.1
    uninstall dedicated graphic card drivers through the uninstall menu in control panel
    install new drivers for dedicated graphic cards.

start game in new OS, game works because using current drivers done.

Edit: I forgot to say Windows 10 is windows 7 and 8 you can see the start screen on desktop start menu and resize it. You can also resize windows and snap them like tiles, really kind of cool you can now resize windows apps.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    cale2003 wrote: »

Cody

Need to pick up more of that magic pixie laptop dust, Cale.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    cale2003 wrote: »

Cody

Need to pick up more of that magic pixie laptop dust, Cale.
    LMAO :D

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    The problem is Microsoft needs a product that will work with tablets and smart phones and still be compatible with conventional computers and get users to use it. Microsoft is still using the NT (not there) core. Is I remember correctly Windows XP was supposed to have a database like file system. Then it was supposed to come in a XP Service Pack. The NT core is processor independent but I have not seen it on other systems (running reliably) then the X86 processors. Yes I have seen Windows Mobile on smart phones (actually had one once) but there were BIG problems. Then Microsoft kept cutting off users when a new version of Mobile came out. After no support I vowed not to get another Windows Mobile phone again. Microsoft has been playing catch and not succeeding.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    bob007 wrote: »
    The problem is Microsoft needs a product that will work with tablets and smart phones and still be compatible with conventional computers and get users to use it. Microsoft is still using the NT (not there) core. Is I remember correctly Windows XP was supposed to have a database like file system. Then it was supposed to come in a XP Service Pack. The NT core is processor independent but I have not seen it on other systems (running reliably) then the X86 processors. Yes I have seen Windows Mobile on smart phones (actually had one once) but there were BIG problems. Then Microsoft kept cutting off users when a new version of Mobile came out. After no support I vowed not to get another Windows Mobile phone again. Microsoft has been playing catch and not succeeding.
    hey bob did you see this article http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/11/why-windows-10-isnt-version-6-any-more-and-why-it-will-probably-work/

sadly cale2003 i have to agree with you like how not all systems could upgrade to 8.
  • Options
    EthyrdudeEthyrdude Posts: 268 Member
    I am running the Sims 4 on Windows 10, have been for a month now. One word of warning, Windows 10 is not for everyone as there may be issues with it. I had a new build install today, and unfortunately, I had to reinstall all my software after. I did save my saves though and was able to continue my existing family after I reinstalled the game. I find Windows 10 lighter on resources than Windows 7, don't know if that is the same as 8/8.1 as I don't have it. For most people though it would be best to wait until it's released as an update.
    On a planet far, far away.
  • Options
    HaidenHaiden Posts: 3,841 Member
    @ceejay402

Heya....tis been awhile (had my head stuck in the world of Dragon Age Inquisition for the last two months) :)

I have the preview copy of win10, but there is not that much to say about it lol. Kinda like beta version of win8 (well to me it feels the same) Options include having the start and indexing/navigating to run like "tradition" windows OS. Dunno why they just did not make the changes via a service pack, shelling out for a new OS just for a few minor tweaks seems iffy to me.

I'm used to windows 8 now, the 8.1 update made it a lot more bearable, now when working on an older OS I find myself swiping the mouse around looking for the side bar lol.

I installed win10 on my rat machine (the one made up of spare parts). I signed up for the preview. You have to sign in via a Microsoft account and register, then once its activated on your account you download it via windows update. I used my old version of win7.

Its 6 of one and 10 of the other if you ask me... its just like win7 was a beta version of that horrible win Vista OS. Only thing is unlike win Vista...win8 is not a resource hog lol. I don't see any ground breaking aspects in win10, to me its virtually the same as win8 just that like I said above it navigates and indexes like the previous versions of windows before win8.
  • Options
    Haiden wrote: »
    @ceejay402

Heya....tis been awhile (had my head stuck in the world of Dragon Age Inquisition for the last two months) :)

I have the preview copy of win10, but there is not that much to say about it lol. Kinda like beta version of win8 (well to me it feels the same) Options include having the start and indexing/navigating to run like "tradition" windows OS. Dunno why they just did not make the changes via a service pack, shelling out for a new OS just for a few minor tweaks seems iffy to me.

I'm used to windows 8 now, the 8.1 update made it a lot more bearable, now when working on an older OS I find myself swiping the mouse around looking for the side bar lol.

I installed win10 on my rat machine (the one made up of spare parts). I signed up for the preview. You have to sign in via a Microsoft account and register, then once its activated on your account you download it via windows update. I used my old version of win7.

Its 6 of one and 10 of the other if you ask me... its just like win7 was a beta version of that horrible win Vista OS. Only thing is unlike win Vista...win8 is not a resource hog lol. I don't see any ground breaking aspects in win10, to me its virtually the same as win8 just that like I said above it navigates and indexes like the previous versions of windows before win8.
    @Haiden! i didnt realize the preview version was out. very cool i did just read this today
    http://www.cnet.com/products/microsoft-windows-10/

so i agree it does seem like a cousin of 8. im going to wait until at least 6 months after the release i dont want any issues :)
  • Options
    MICROWAVESAFTYDISHMICROWAVESAFTYDISH Posts: 311 Member
    edited June 2015
    I'm gonna try windows 10 in July on the 29th for free part of windows update as in a full version so I will tell yous if the sims 4 works or not
    Origin ID: killer6618
    Australian Sims Fan
    Loves Collecting Sims Games
    Just add me on origin

loves collecting and playing sims games
  • Options
    I'm gonna try windows 10 in July on the 29th for free part of windows update as in a full version so I will tell yous if the sims 4 works or not
    If your going to try it on your main pc that you use for gaming.. then I would wait a couple of months.. there might be issues.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I get windows 10 next month on the 29th in the windows 7 updates for free I will try it there and then if it works I will tell ya @chesterbigbird ok and by the way I'm not trying it on my good gaming pc I'm trying it on my computer with out games for a guinea pig I actually have 2 pcs
    Australian Sims Fan
    Just add me on origin

• Options
    I get windows 10 next month on the 29th in the windows 7 updates for free I will try it there and then if it works I will tell ya @chesterbigbird ok and by the way I'm not trying it on my good gaming pc I'm trying it on my computer with out games for a guinea pig I actually have 2 pcs
    OK.
    Yeah that's what I am doing.. trying it on my laptop that has no games installed. If its ok then I might consider installing to my desktop (has all my games installed.) Its good to have a test pc handy :)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Larium1Larium1 Posts: 71 Member
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    happygurlhappygurl Posts: 1,005 Member
    I'm really dumb when it comes to this, so I'm wondering if when 10 comes out, they will stop supporting 8 and 8.1. I'm not really sure what supporting means anyway, lol. I guess what I want to know is if I can continue to use my 8.1 after 10 comes out.
    InstantGif_2020.12.01_18.10.gif?width=450&height=278&fit=bounds&crop=fill
  • Options
    Yeah anyone can choose to stay with my original version of windows if they want to its upto anyone what they choose to go with
    Australian Sims Fan
    Just add me on origin

• Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    happygurl wrote: »
    I'm really dumb when it comes to this, so I'm wondering if when 10 comes out, they will stop supporting 8 and 8.1. I'm not really sure what supporting means anyway, lol. I guess what I want to know is if I can continue to use my 8.1 after 10 comes out.

No they wont stop supporting Windows 8.1. There are two dates for end of support. One date is 1/9/2018 and the extended date is 1/10/2023.
  • Options
    ashleyrosey06ashleyrosey06 Posts: 95 Member
    I just got windows 10 last night. Sims 4 does appear to be working fine; however, I noticed that it takes a lot longer at all of the loading screens.
    In Simlish, we don't say "I love you." We say "Habadu Bashubi", which roughly translates to "I can't move because there is furniture in my way." I think that's absolutely beautiful.• ORIGIN ID: ashleyrosey06 •Ts2 is superior... change my mind ;)
  • Options
    alexffsalexffs Posts: 3 New Member
    I just got windows 10 and my sims aint working. it says the file MSVCP100.dll is missing. anyone know what to do?
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,604 Member
    edited August 2015
  • Options
    HansenHansen Posts: 22 Member
    Hi, I'm on win10 with sims4 for a few days now, the work fine can be played but loading takes somewhat longer and the graphics are worse here and that the main problem seemed to me my battery dies very very fast 10 -15 minutes with sims and about 30-40 when I just online without sims it's weird before there was an hour or more on battery sims and 3-4 hours of normal use so I regret to update on my laptop maybe on a desktop is better
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    alexffs wrote: »
    I just got windows 10 and my sims aint working. it says the file MSVCP100.dll is missing. anyone know what to do?

hey @alexiffs rosemow's suggestion is good it could also be because of a conflict with programs like have you installed another anti v because MS version maybe conflicting - i would address any and all OS issues as well as add new files or simply reinstall programs good luck
    Post edited by ceejay402 on
  • Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member

hey @alexiffs suggest is good you could also be because of a conflict with programs like have you installed another anti v because MS version maybe conflicting - i would address all and any OS issues as well as add new files or simply reinstall programs good luck

Don't do that. You lock up your hard drive up. That is my experience. Better off installing linux over it. Then reinstall windows then upgrade without adding any files.
  • Options
    james64468 wrote: »

hey @alexiffs suggest is good you could also be because of a conflict with programs like have you installed another anti v because MS version maybe conflicting - i would address all and any OS issues as well as add new files or simply reinstall programs good luck

Don't do that. You lock up your hard drive up. That is my experience. Better off installing linux over it. Then reinstall windows then upgrade without adding any files.

that really worked for you, interesting. ive always thought it wasnt recommended i dont touch linux but you will need to do like a flash drive reinstall with windows which probably wouldnt work if OP if the upgraded via online - i still think the easiest thing to do is fix any OS errors and reinstall programs that is throwing off the error but to be sure others are reporting adding files is working

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/operating-systems/1401617/how-to-clean-install-windows-10-and-create-boot-media

its also possible drivers are out of date or others are reporting drivers for recently removed hardware is being added automatically