Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will the sims 4 run on windows 10

Comments

• Options
    thesimsfairy47thesimsfairy47 Posts: 6,116 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Sid1701D9 wrote: »
    only windiws 8.1 users as you must have the update to install windows 10 free.

Who ever has windows 7 or 8.1 can have the windows 10 for free, on the first year of release I think.

Why is Microsoft doing this?
    Sims 5 artstyle poll Here
    monday-to-friday-workweek-graphic.jpg
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2015

Who ever has windows 7 or 8.1 can have the windows 10 for free, on the first year of release I think.

Because Apple exists and does this stuff, Microsoft needs to get costumer's atention, for a few years they have been doing bad decisions with the release of Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, not even giving much support to their costumers, they have decided to go for a diferent aproach :)
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    They are doing this because they are competing with apple and hope the existing windows users will brag about windows 10 after the year end date.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,630 Member
    It also means they can back off of supporting Windows 7 and 8 earlier than they would otherwise.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

Because Apple exists and does this stuff, Microsoft needs to get costumer's atention, for a few years they have been doing bad decisions with the release of Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, not even giving much support to their costumers, they have decided to go for a diferent aproach :)

Do you think EA was working with Microsoft by not making a Mac version of the sims 4?
  • Options

Do you think EA was working with Microsoft by not making a Mac version of the sims 4?

But they are making a Mac version. It's coming out next month. It makes financial sense, though, to focus first on the machine with the large gaming market.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

But they are making a Mac version. It's coming out next month. It makes financial sense, though, to focus first on the machine with the large gaming market.

I was just joking, I know they are making a mac version :|
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2015

I don't think so, the game was never intended to be Windows exclusive they just had no time to make a Mac verion and since Mac has diferent requirements when making games for it it usually takes a bit longer, also there are far more Windows gamers than Mac ones.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    unfortinately it is easier for gamers to program with windows OS because of the directX libaries, which help the programers by providing all the resources the games need in one place or 3d rendering. The only other problem is apple writes to disk ina different pattern as windows/dos. Windows/Dos computers write to disk diagal from buttom up, apple writes from top down diagal. I was messing with Power Mac at school one time on a flopy disk and thats how I found out they write in differnt blocks.

• Options
    Why finish the game when they can focus on the key components and than update the game as needed with the internet. The main reason for why games used to be finished before is mainly for offline computers and slower internet connections, so patching was often difficult and the gaming consoles, they had to be finished because they didn't have internet technology now that has changed games on consoles can now be patched to the hard drive.

• Options
    Why finish the game when they can focus on the key components and than update the game as needed with the internet. The main reason for why games used to be finished before is mainly for offline computers and slower internet connections, so patching was often difficult and the gaming consoles, they had to be finished because they didn't have internet technology now that has changed games on consoles can now be patched to the hard drive.

I still find it amazing how far technology has advanced :o
  • Options
    me too

• Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,428 Member
    As long as I still play S3, I will not upgrade. S3 runs very well on my 8.1.
  • Options
    As long as I still play S3, I will not upgrade. S3 runs very well on my 8.1.

Will the sims 2 run on windows 8.1?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    The sims 2 runs on the nt kernal so it is compatable it played on Windows 7, so it will play on Windows 8, 8.1 and 10. microsoft can't afford to screw games over. I do have one suggestion though everytime you install a new OS update the dedicated graphic card drivers when they ask for update click the clean install this should solve the problem of games not loading right. Sometimes some games may need to be reinstalled. you do this by uninstalling the sims3 or 4 and reinstalling it, they should pick up the new graphic card driver.

Edit: fixed spelling, for some reason microsoft like to put its defualt driver for dedicated cards in during update by forcing clean install you can force the updated drivers, this should correct game reference problems, some older games may have to be reinstalled to get the game to load correct drivers. What mean on graphic cards there is a option for clean install this will install new correct os version of the card drivers, and delete the old ones making sure the game won't recall old drivers from older operating systems.

• Options
    The sims 2 runs on the nt kernal so it is compatable it played on Windows 7, so it will play on Windows 8, 8.1 and 10. microsoft can't afford to screw games over. I do have one suggestion though everytime you install a new OS update the dedicated graphic card drivers when they ask for update click the clean install this should solve the problem of games not loading right. Sometimes some games may need to be reinstalled. you do this by uninstalling the sims3 or 4 and reinstalling it, they should pick up the new graphic card driver.

Edit: fixed spelling, for some reason microsoft like to put its defualt driver for dedicated cards in during update by forcing clean install you can force the updated drivers, this should correct game reference problems, some older games may have to be reinstalled to get the game to load correct drivers. What mean on graphic cards there is a option for clean install this will install new correct os version of the card drivers, and delete the old ones making sure the game won't recall old drivers from older operating systems.
    Bookmarked for when Windows 10 shows up :)
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    Does anyone have a link showing 10 will be a free upgrade, so hoping! I've been following reports and the last I saw of free was when it was still called 9 and was just a rumor

As for the reason why it should be free my understanding of the argument is that win 7 is more popular that Xp and making it free is to try to prevent another across the board slow down of tech, in other words if free then the largest users like the banking world and huge corps won't take a decade to upgrade

As for compatibility issues I for one am upgrading but not at least 6 months/ year after its release. MS has shown many times it can launch buggy new releases, so for example 8 when first launched had serious issues with interfacing with third party programs, even as basic and fundamental as video cards drivers and for sims 3 another basic misstep was the older net frame wasn't installed or operational so many players needed to reinstall or add, how crazy, to get 3 to run

These were launching/ interface issues to me and then add change in start up changes and silly apps instead of desktop many of us have stayed with 7. But I have heard some really great new options like project oriented desktops, so needed! I need faster more efficient and am hoping 10 is as stable as 7

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Well, I never had munch problem with windows 8 getting Sims 3 and 4 to work with it. There is a invalid link problem between games that haven't been played since OS update, but that is a driver problem and has nothing to do with Windows. Windows 7 drivers was incompatable with Windows 8 drivers so windows 8 installs defualt windows version driver of dedicated graphic card, while the older graphic card software is still installed and when you lauch the game Sims freaks out because old driver link becomes invalid and it can't find the proper driver, because windows 8 deleted the other driver during upload. So it tries to run the defualt version that is just the basic and crashes with "gpu not responding" or "Windows shut down program not responding". I had a problem like that with Star Trek Online had to reinstall it for the game to detect the new driver on my laptop. The second time is when I installed Windows 8 on my new Desktop both games didn't like the defualt OS drivers, so I installed the ones from Nvidia and everything worked just fine.

Windows 10 not really going to cause major problems with the Sims 3 or 4 game as most of the bugs in Windows 10 came in Windows 8. They might be called new OS's but the base kernal is still windows NT Kernal. All windows 10 does is polishes off where windows 8 and 8.1 left off. Also on fox news I heard Bill Gates talking about releasing Windows 10 for free.

Edit here is a link:
    https://www.yahoo.com/tech/the-questions-microsoft-didnt-answer-about-108943103294.html

Windows 9 was skipped because of legacy code conflict between windows 95 and 98.
    Post edited by Sid1701D9 on

• Options
    MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    edited January 2015
    When they do offer it commercially I wouldn't run right out and get "10" right away. As with any software, Windows included, they'll have a bunch of bugs to work out. I'll let someone else pull their hair out first. Mine takes too much to control as it is.

As Simsfairy 47, said, the '90s versions were referred to as Windows 9.x, so they had to skip 9 and go right to "10"

'95, '98, and ME were based on the Windows 95 kernel -- with MS-SOS as a foundation. Windows 2000, XP-- on forwards are on the NT codebase.

The older one (I still have) from 1993 was of the 3.x series.

Windows ME was technically referred to as 4.9 but was still considered a 9x.

An MS-knowledgeable nerd told me that the reason for skipping "Windows 9" was more than just to not confuse the masses... but I wasn't paying attention to what he said was the main reason-- and not that it's important here, anyway.

It'll be "10" and the beta versions are out there for people to monkey around with and send feedback to Central Command in Redmond.
  • Options
    GoldpuffleGoldpuffle Posts: 1,872 Member
    I am pretty sure that if you have Windows 8.1 or 7, you can get Windows 10 for free. I have windows 7 or 7 vista. I am pretty sure I might be able to get it free. But I might have to buy it because my Computer is an Alienware. I don't know.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Windows 2000 was the home release of Windows NT 4.0, just a scaled down version for home use.

I hate to break it too you but MS-Dos is still a valid part of Windows NT, its been hidden and in the background with the NT powershell over it.

• Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member

Maybe more because Android exists and still becomes bigger both for smartphones and tablets. More and more computers are sold as tablets or hybrids with touch screen and removable keyboard so they can be used both as tablets and as traditional laptops. Microsoft needs to win this market.
  • Options
    CodySimsteinCodySimstein Posts: 1,466 Member
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link showing 10 will be a free upgrade, so hoping! I've been following reports and the last I saw of free was when it was still called 9 and was just a rumor

@ceejay402 - here you go:

http://www.techpowerup.com/209111/windows-10-to-be-free-upgrade-for-windows-8-1-and-windows-7-users.html

Cody
    Member of the Tech Responders team.

Ask me about custom-built PCs!

Need to upgrade? - $400 for high settings in Sims 4 --> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LtphdC
  • Options
    I posted a link to yahoo talking about about it, but most have not seen my link. The link thing is tricky on this forum and sometimes they don't work. appearently I found the levelup thing too and it all sounds the same. Windows 7 and 8.1 not the profesion and RT version, this is mainly for consumers as busineeses buy bulk linses and if they gave away their business end they would loose money.

• Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    ceejay402 wrote: »

@ceejay402 - here you go:

http://www.techpowerup.com/209111/windows-10-to-be-free-upgrade-for-windows-8-1-and-windows-7-users.html

Cody
    thanks cody! very excited about not having to pay for yet another license :)