Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How can you tell if a Sim has read the whole book?

Is there anything that indicates when a sim has completely read a book? I assume once they read the first volume of one they can move on to the second volume, correct?

Comments

• Options
    SketchSketch Posts: 432 Member
    If your sim makes a movie as great as Peter Jackson, you can definitely tell they read the book.
    Shj7guV.png
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Sketch wrote: »
    If your sim makes a movie as great as Peter Jackson, you can definitely tell they read the book.

WTH . . . .
  • Options
    debsilva3debsilva3 Posts: 180 Member
    I usually can tell they read the book when it says 'reread' when I click on it again. My Sims talk so much that it takes them forever to finish a book.
    Please feel free to add me on Origin. My username is mtglady
    I am also mtglady on the awesome Carl's Sims 4 Guide

If you can't talk to your cats about catnip, who will?

• Options
    ArkaneArkane Posts: 20,224 Member
    debsilva3 wrote: »
    I usually can tell they read the book when it says 'reread' when I click on it again. My Sims talk so much that it takes them forever to finish a book.

This. Once it says reread you're done. On to next one. :)
    Potential Is Everything

Origin ID: BadArkane

XYeo1vn.png
  • Options
    RacerX780RacerX780 Posts: 475 Member
    Ah, ok. That makes sense.

I've tried to have him read when all his needs are taken care of and no one else is around.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    RacerX780 wrote: »
    Is there anything that indicates when a sim has completely read a book? I assume once they read the first volume of one they can move on to the second volume, correct?

If you buy the second volume if a skill book and they get a moodlet it will say something about being too complicated for them on the moodlet. Or if it's just a book about anything you know when you click it and it says 'reread' lol. No way really other than when they start to read the skill books and get the bad moodlet since they can't understand the book.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    I had gotten that on a couple books.. I didn't know how long it took to read and I just assumed they could do it fairly quickly... so I moved onto the next, and I saw the moodlet saying it was too complicated. I just figured I skipped a book or something, and couldn't really see any indication of what I had, or hadn't, read yet.

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    On the skill books they usually have to read the same volume a few times before they can move on to the next one; usually not till after level 4. So Volume One covers 1-4, Vol. 2 covers 5-7, and Vol. 3 covers 8-9 (the last skill point you have to get by actually doing the interactions).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    SimsAnaSimsAna Posts: 58 Member
    A way you can tell that they have already read a book is if the book is in their inventory and you click on it to put it back into the bookcase and the bubble that you would usually click to read the book, it now says, "reread" in the place of where you would usually press read.
  • Options
    knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    When Sims perform an action the icon as a green circle that goes around it to show progression. Once its gone completely around action is complete include how long left to finish book, paintings etc...
  • Options
    moongodessmoongodess Posts: 1,550 Member
    knazzer wrote: »
    When Sims perform an action the icon as a green circle that goes around it to show progression. Once its gone completely around action is complete include how long left to finish book, paintings etc...

This doesn't always work on books. Sometimes the green circle just shows how long that session of reading will last. The book is often left unfinished.
  • Options
    > @moongodess said:
    > knazzer wrote: »
    >
    > When Sims perform an action the icon as a green circle that goes around it to show progression. Once its gone completely around action is complete include how long left to finish book, paintings etc...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > This doesn't always work on books. Sometimes the green circle just shows how long that session of reading will last. The book is often left unfinished.
    The green circle usually shows up if it is a book that you're learning a skill from. If it is just a book you need to read for.. lets say for work, once it's in your inventory after you read it just see if it says "reread".
  • Options
    knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    moongodess wrote: »
    knazzer wrote: »

This doesn't always work on books. Sometimes the green circle just shows how long that session of reading will last. The book is often left unfinished.

It works on all books, except skill book, once the circle is complete the book is finished. I've done so many goals for reading books and never failed for me.
  • Options
    LokiSimsiesLokiSimsies Posts: 1,912 Member

One of the first aspiration rewards I get them (after steel bladder) is the fast reader because they all seem to have ADHD and can't sit still long enough to finish a book. If I have to make them read a book (aspiration or career reasons) then I will hover over the pause button and the second I see them get up and put the book down? Pause, click that book and make them continue reading.

Another and easier way is to put all entertainment items in the household inventory and only leave the book case. They will read out of sheer boredom because the phone only provides about a second of entertainment.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

If you buy the second volume if a skill book and they get a moodlet it will say something about being too complicated for them on the moodlet. Or if it's just a book about anything you know when you click it and it says 'reread' lol. No way really other than when they start to read the skill books and get the bad moodlet since they can't understand the book.
    Very realistic, but for a game I think I prefer them just not being able to read the book...
    Do'nt they just close the book when they finished reading it?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    dixieangel550dixieangel550 Posts: 779 Member
    each skill book goes from level 1-4 for the first book, and im not sure about the next ones. But you can tell the finished a regular book if when you click it, it says reread
    QPs2LMU.jpg
  • Options
    songsmith2003songsmith2003 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

I was going to mention that. Shouldn't they be ready to move up the scale on skill books once they complete the prior one? More weirdness. OP, as far as regular books go, the game will show a "reread" option when you click on a book that has already been read. I multi-click read book becaus TS4 sims have the attention span of a gnat. It normally takes about 2 1/2 shots at reading.
  • Options
    Ok.. I had my sim read the "Mixology" vol 1 book... it took I think two readings... which I added the Speed reader thing to my sim.

I then clicked on the book to read it again, and it said - "reread"... Great!

On to volume two. He was reading it... and when he finished, he became tense or whatever and the moodlet said it was because he couldn't understand the book.

So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong....

Any suggestions?
  • Options
    > @RacerX780 said:
    > Ok.. I had my sim read the "Mixology" vol 1 book... it took I think two readings... which I added the Speed reader thing to my sim.
    >
    > I then clicked on the book to read it again, and it said - "reread"... Great!
    >
    > On to volume two. He was reading it... and when he finished, he became tense or whatever and the moodlet said it was because he couldn't understand the book.
    >
    > So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong....
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    >Maybe he needs to try out Mixology before going on to the next volume.?
  • Options
    TrickTrick Posts: 1,538 Member
    Ok.. I had my sim read the "Mixology" vol 1 book... it took I think two readings... which I added the Speed reader thing to my sim.

I then clicked on the book to read it again, and it said - "reread"... Great!

On to volume two. He was reading it... and when he finished, he became tense or whatever and the moodlet said it was because he couldn't understand the book.

So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong....

Any suggestions?

The skill books are tied to specific levels. Volume 1 is good for levels 1-4. If you try to read Volume 2 before you hit level 4 (or you read volume 1 after you hit level 4), your sim won't be pleased.
    banner-onlysims-800x140-1.png
    Because Geeks Really Do Have More Fun
  • Options
    Ah, ok. That must be it. His skill level is a 3, I believe.

Slowly getting that hang of this. :)

• Options
    moongodessmoongodess Posts: 1,550 Member
    I've had sims go past level 5 on the first book if they just keep reading it. I just switch to the next one when there's no more indicator over their heads.
  • Options
    steve7859steve7859 Posts: 3,824 Member
    I hope we get the bar back lol I'm too lazy to click the book again to check.
  • Options
    NADYSOPHIENADYSOPHIE Posts: 356 Member
    i just think they need to improve the shelf assortment for the books
  • Options
    musicislife416musicislife416 Posts: 159 Member
    That's how I usually can tell is if I go to click on it and it says reread. Haven't really found another way to find out.
    tumblr_ngzxfipZLO1u3tigco1_500.gif