Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Some advice needed

LizziguinLizziguin Posts: 1,126 Member
So I'm really enjoying building since I built my first Sims 4 house. I'm stumped though on what I'd like to build next. I'm curious what you builders do to come up with a build. Do you just think of it out of the blue or do you look for inspiration online? Any help is much appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    JalidaJalida Posts: 2,181 Member
    edited October 2014
    Well in TS3, I went to my local goodwill shop and browsed their rather extensive section of architectural books and ended up bringing home some really thick book of house plans, something like 5000 house plans. (I seem to remember it costing me only like $2.00) I then used that for my inspiration when trying to build new homes. Because of the limitations of the game, you couldn't always duplicate the houses in the book but it served good for inspiration.
  • Options
    KaylyRedKaylyRed Posts: 309 Member
    As you can see in my sig, I do some building based on very specific house plans in an attempt to replicate early- to mid-20th century home styles. That's a lot of fun! But I also like to just browse photos of the sorts of houses I want to make for ideas. For instance, if I'm thinking I want to make a cottage, I might Google "English Cottage" and then look through the image results until I find something that inspires me. Often times, I'm just looking at the exterior, but sometimes I actually Google floor plans, which can be helpful too so that you get an idea of interior layout. You'll never duplicate an interior exactly, because there are closets and things that sims don't really need (although I suppose you could put them in - seems like a waste of space), but I find that looking at plans provides a good source of ideas.
    Download the Americana Series! Sears catalog kit homes and more from 20thCentury America. Additional manors and community builds in my Showcase Thread.| Origin ID: KaylyRed

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,602 Member
  • Options
    Awesome! Thank you all ^.^ Very helpful tips indeed. I love goodwill so I'll have to keep my eye out for architecture books for sure. I was thinking of using google for images as well. Thanks a bunch for the thread link! Hopefully I'll pick something out tonight and start working on a home soon :D
  • Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    I do a mix - some I come up with entirely on my own, but others are inspired by images I've found online. If you have a Pinterest account, you are bound to find something inspirational when you check out their architecture category (you may be able to browse the category even if you don't have an account - I'm not sure).
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    Lizziguin wrote: »
    So I'm really enjoying building since I built my first Sims 4 house. I'm stumped though on what I'd like to build next. I'm curious what you builders do to come up with a build. Do you just think of it out of the blue or do you look for inspiration online? Any help is much appreciated :)
    @Lizziguin: You can always do challenges too, these can give you a starting point for some inspiration. I find it hard to come up with something out of the blue. I try to find a theme or starting point and then begin to build, or first finding reference material, like the latest build-n-share, where we need to build a victorian ghost house. I never did victorian, so I first looked it up.

• Options
    Awesome, great suggestions! Oh yeah, I definitely need to get on my Pinterest and look at some homes on there for sure. I'm in love with the dreamhomesource.com I'm finding some really interesting homes on there that I definitely want to try.
  • Options
    PlusOneAlchemyPlusOneAlchemy Posts: 17 New Member
    edited October 2014
    @Lizziguin: I always find I get inspired through watching/looking at other people's builds as well. It gives a bit more perspective I guess, on more ideas of what is actually possible in game. If you don't know of any YouTube channels or anything to watch, some good ones are (sorry I can't post links) The Sim Supply, Simified, SimLinks.ca, Deligracy, Faramouse and a ton more. I have a channel too, called Plus One Alchemy where I usually do at least 1 build a week, which you could check out (shameless self promotion.... :P) Hope that's of some help, I also use all the other ideas above for inspiration too, I think as many sources as you can possible get is good!>
  • Options
    Shadow08Sims3Shadow08Sims3 Posts: 711 Member
    15416099548_f1f4309bf3_c.jpgHouse by Shadow07Sims 3, on Flickr this is my Sims house
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,602 Member
    Your sims house is great @Shadow08Sims3 :) It is great that you have the observatory and microscope items in the backyard for sims to enjoy using. Sims will enjoy gardening using the garden boxes.
  • Options
    Shadow08Sims3Shadow08Sims3 Posts: 711 Member
  • Options
    pelayodsovb6pelayodsovb6 Posts: 78 Member
    edited October 2014
    I love to create houses, but when I start building one I never know what I'm going to build. The world where I'm doing it inspire me a lot, I remember how in The Sims 3 I spent hours building houses for the differents worlds, a skyscrapers for Bridgport, a farm for Appolosa Plains, a houseboat for Isla Paradiso... And now with The Sims 4 and with its intuitive tools I start creating rooms and adding more and more things until I like what I'm seeing. Usually, I search for some pictures of houses on google and try to create them. It is a good way to know what more or less you want to build.

Good luck, and I hope to see soon what kind of houses you are creating.