Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Career Goals Poll

Comments

• Options
    katoregamakatoregama Posts: 1,129 Member
    2 and 6. I´m okay with the current system, but choice is always good.

What I absolutely would do NOT want is a return to a system where you had to make friends for every career level in every career. I want to escape to a world where skill matters more than popularity. Having to constantly network in life to get done anything sucks for introverts.

Plus the relationship decay is difficult to manage.
    Kato, Kato, rhymes with tomato.
    Players: Check out my Sims 4 Room Challenge.
    Devs & Players: Check out my Archaeology Career Idea
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    I would rather it be 2a

expand the skill requirement to include a bunch of "or" options.

So, the requirement now says: reach level 5 of the guitar and piano. Well, I really don't want my sim to be more than a pianist, so, I would like it to be reach level 5 of the piano and read a book on piano, or music appreciation or play piano for 3 hours.

Something along those lines. It would give a Simmer a lot more choice and be less of a grind, I hope.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    shadowcat85shadowcat85 Posts: 5,219 Member
    2 and 6 I also like 7
    tumblr_inline_ne699tiMiG1r36c5t.gif

• Options
    steve7859steve7859 Posts: 3,824 Member
    #5: Keep the Sims 4 career advancement as it is now. Don’t change anything.
  • Options
    Lazarus_B4RLazarus_B4R Posts: 1,827 Member
    edited October 2014
    2 ~ Some people like it, some don't..So i guess having the toggle option makes the most sense.
    7 ~ To give players more Career options, It would be nice to see some more *hands-on* Career choices.
  • Options
    Dan1el1996Dan1el1996 Posts: 124 Member
    3!!!! The Sims 1 and 2! <3:p
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2014
    windweaver wrote: »
    I would rather it be 2a

So, the requirement now says: reach level 5 of the guitar and piano. Well, I really don't want my sim to be more than a pianist, so, I would like it to be reach level 5 of the piano and read a book on piano, or music appreciation or play piano for 3 hours.

Something along those lines. It would give a Simmer a lot more choice and be less of a grind, I hope.

I also like your idea here. And I wouldn't mind the game telling me to read a piano book but not where or how long etc. (not past the full meter, lol) and I don't mind be told to play the piano for three hours which would happen normally, over time, (I'm repeating myself) what I mind is telling the how to's and X amount time on a redundant basis. See once you practiced for those three hours ( even of a course of days if you felt like it) then don't repeat it, either.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    igzigpuffigzigpuff Posts: 2,634 Member
    #2, #7, #8. :)
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I would rather it be 2a

I also like your idea here. And I wouldn't mind the game telling me to read a piano book but not where or how long etc. (not past the full meter, lol) and I don't mind be told to play the piano for three hours which would happen normally, over time, (I'm repeating myself) what I mind is telling the how to's and X amount time on a redundant basis. See once you practiced for those three hours ( even of a course of days if you felt like it) then don't repeat it, either.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to do. I guess it really doesn't matter what any one of us wants or thinks, EA/Maxis is going to do what they want anyway. I just hope they see the controversy here on the forum and do something! I don't want to lose any more community members. And I don't want them to drop this game like they did TSM. I'm very worried about that.

My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    edited October 2014
    6 give more choices its not hard to put more choices in the Game
    Post edited by KrayzieStryker on
  • Options
    munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    #2 please.... I need some change up in here.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2014
    I would rather it be 2a

Yeah, that's what I was trying to do. I guess it really doesn't matter what any one of us wants or thinks, EA/Maxis is going to do what they want anyway. I just hope they see the controversy here on the forum and do something! I don't want to lose any more community members. And I don't want them to drop this game like they did TSM. I'm very worried about that.

I will let you in on a secret, I fear the game is on a downward spiral if they delayed the all too well known before hand Premium Content Fees, I think they either one can't get that to work right in the game, and or the gallery I mean, and or the stuff they were going to sell is bugged or they don't like the over all sales for this game, or they have had a delay with getting that up and running. If Origin is the cause of many people's lag and they have even suggested turning it off in game that means it would lag the game out to be on there all the time looking at the premium content, too, wouldn't it? I just have the same echo in my ear as we saw coming down the pike with the TSM. Those devs (who are on this game, too) offered lots of free content in the patches. TS3 was getting those patches like that, they were getting patches and EPs. TSM was actually getting stand alone patches of free content with every patch no EPs to follow. It just makes me think the division about this game's direction is far too wide to come to a long shelf life just like the TSM. But maybe they will turn it around.

ETA: Try to pause between my sentences, I see I left out too many periods. lol, getting tired time to go rest. Happy Simming!
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    anosesanoses Posts: 146 Member
  • Options
    PiplowPiplow Posts: 81 Member
    #5!!! Or #6. It'd be nice not to have to do mischief interactions ALL the time in the criminal career but to have a choice there.

I guess also #2 just to be fair to everyone.
  • Options
    Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member
    I think I will go with #2 because it's the most fair to everyone. I like their being different options for people who wish to play goals and those who don't.
  • Options
    pr0x1mapr0x1ma Posts: 5,898 Member
    Option 2 or 3 appeals to me most.
    tumblr_mr2v3r8OEc1rsik0po1_400.gif
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited October 2014
    Pasting the choices so I don't have to keep scrolling to the top to check them:
    #1: Remove all goals. Career advancement happens just from going to work.

#2: Include a game option toggle where you could turn career goals completely off or turn them on again. With the option turned on the careers would exist as they do now, with it off, advancement would happen simply by going to work.

#3: Return to a Sims 2 style form of career advancement where your Sims are only required to be at certain skill levels and have a certain number of friends to advance.

#4: Return to a Sims 3 style of career advancement where advancement happens slowly just by going to work and meeting skill and friend requirements, but can be augmented by completing optional mini-games.

#6: Keep the current Sims 4 career advancement style, but add an alternative to each career advancement requirement. So, for example, you could cook three meals *or* learn three new recipes to get a promotion instead of just having to cook three meals.

#7: Open up careers so that they can be played (TS3 Ambitions style).

#8: Create a general ‘career aspiration meter’ similar to how we had an ‘influence meter’ in Sims 2 and completing career related aspirations at any time would contribute toward filling that meter and advancing a Sim in his or her chosen career.

#9: Other. Please explain.

My thoughts:

2: You could make it that if you turn off the goals you would not earn the unlockable rewards, or maybe you would still get the reward for yourself but they wouldn't unlock to buy additional items (for example in the culinary career you get 3 of the counters at level 3, but if you weren't doing the goals then you'd be stuck with only the 3, no additional ones). In a sense it would be like unchecking the box for the parties and holding a party with no goals -- no goals, no rewards.

6. I like this -- another possibility would be to have the requirements vary from Sim to Sim; for example the first Sim in Culinary would have to cook 3 dishes, the next one might have to cook 4 or 2. Or vary the number of friends you have to have or amount of money you have to make. That would take care of the complaints that the steps are too repetitive, especially at the lower levels before you choose your career branch. It would also add a challenge to the game; you wouldn't know what to expect when you start a Sim on a certain career path even one you've done before.

7. With no open world I really don't see how that's going to work. Would be nice to have at least a few professions where you can watch and control your Sims, but to a certain extent we have that with some of the tasks (for example, sending a comedian Sim out to do routines at the clubs).

8. This could be interesting -- instead of having the aspirations in steps you could have an entire list of them and accomplish them in any order.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    I would rather it be 2a

@Windweaver, what you describe is not option #2 at all. It sounds like option #6, can I put you down for #6?
    =#6: Keep the current Sims 4 career advancement style, but add an alternative to each career advancement requirement. So, for example, you could cook three meals *or* learn three new recipes to get a promotion instead of just having to cook three meals.

• Options
    I would rather it be 2a

I will let you in on a secret, I fear the game is on a downward spiral if they delayed the all too well known before hand Premium Content Fees, I think they either one can't get that to work right in the game, and or the gallery I mean, and or the stuff they were going to sell is bugged or they don't like the over all sales for this game, or they have had a delay with getting that up and running. If Origin is the cause of many people's lag and they have even suggested turning it off in game that means it would lag the game out to be on there all the time looking at the premium content, too, wouldn't it? I just have the same echo in my ear as we saw coming down the pike with the TSM. Those devs (who are on this game, too) offered lots of free content in the patches. TS3 was getting those patches like that, they were getting patches and EPs. TSM was actually getting stand alone patches of free content with every patch no EPs to follow. It just makes me think the division about this game's direction is far too wide to come to a long shelf life just like the TSM. But maybe they will turn it around.

ETA: Try to pause between my sentences, I see I left out too many periods. lol, getting tired time to go rest. Happy Simming!

Or maybe they're delaying it until they get the Mac version out, now that they've announced that they're actually working on it. If they rolled out a Premium Content service while leaving a bunch of potential customers out, those customers would be quite upset.

The one flaw in your argument is that there's a lot of content that really won't work in just a patch -- toddlers are a big one when you consider how much of the game would need to be adjusted. Adding new venues would also require adding more worlds so you have space for them (the best feature of the game is the ability to expand on it -- no more having to give up current saves to enjoy new content just because you can't add dive lots to Sunlit Tides or odd-sized Showtime venues to Riverview). Eventually there will have to be EPs -- it's how those EPs are received that will determine the future of the game and the franchise. My thought is that at least with the pools and ghosts, those were things they wanted to include in the game but got caught in a time crunch and the EA suits in the executive wing wouldn't allow another delay. So they got out what they could finish, and are now doing the items that should have been in base game. As for the new careers, I think they underestimated how dedicated many Simmers would be to the game, dedicated enough that they're already running out of careers for their Sims. By now some Simmers are already on their third generation (I just hit that with my original Sim's grandson aging up and moving in with his boyfriend). Depending on the size of family you play and the amount of rotational play, it's easy to start dredging the bottom of the career barrel by this point 6 weeks into the game.

• Options
    edited October 2014

#2: Include a game option toggle where you could turn career goals completely off or turn them on again. With the option turned on the careers would exist as they do now, with it off, advancement would happen simply by going to work.

#3: Return to a Sims 2 style form of career advancement where your Sims are only required to be at certain skill levels and have a certain number of friends to advance.

#4: Return to a Sims 3 style of career advancement where advancement happens slowly just by going to work and meeting skill and friend requirements, but can be augmented by completing optional mini-games.

#6: Keep the current Sims 4 career advancement style, but add an alternative to each career advancement requirement. So, for example, you could cook three meals *or* learn three new recipes to get a promotion instead of just having to cook three meals.

#8: Create a general ‘career aspiration meter’ similar to how we had an ‘influence meter’ in Sims 2 and completing career related aspirations at any time would contribute toward filling that meter and advancing a Sim in his or her chosen career.

My thoughts:

2: You could make it that if you turn off the goals you would not earn the unlockable rewards, or maybe you would still get the reward for yourself but they wouldn't unlock to buy additional items (for example in the culinary career you get 3 of the counters at level 3, but if you weren't doing the goals then you'd be stuck with only the 3, no additional ones). In a sense it would be like unchecking the box for the parties and holding a party with no goals -- no goals, no rewards.

6. I like this -- another possibility would be to have the requirements vary from Sim to Sim; for example the first Sim in Culinary would have to cook 3 dishes, the next one might have to cook 4 or 2. Or vary the number of friends you have to have or amount of money you have to make. That would take care of the complaints that the steps are too repetitive, especially at the lower levels before you choose your career branch. It would also add a challenge to the game; you wouldn't know what to expect when you start a Sim on a certain career path even one you've done before.

7. With no open world I really don't see how that's going to work. Would be nice to have at least a few professions where you can watch and control your Sims, but to a certain extent we have that with some of the tasks (for example, sending a comedian Sim out to do routines at the clubs).

8. This could be interesting -- instead of having the aspirations in steps you could have an entire list of them and accomplish them in any order.

@stilljustme2, So, I can put you down for #s 6, 8, and 9?
  • Options
    greenXen wrote: »

My thoughts:

@stilljustme2, So, I can put you down for #s 6, 8, and 9?

I guess that's how it works, with my modifications to #2 that makes it more of an "other". :|
  • Options
    KrystabelaKrystabela Posts: 143 Member
    I like the goals ... really I do. Its the repetition that's getting annoying. (way to many posts about this subject btw) If the children take after the parent then they end up getting the same job with the same goals...on down the line until I want to throw the whole concept of goals out into the nearest sim river. Thats why I really wouldn't go with #2. I want the goals to vary not to turn them off. So for me #6 seems more ideal. I mean think of it. It could be more challenging not knowing what the goal it's going to rotate to instead of it being predictable for every sim ever created.
  • Options
    sindra4sindra4 Posts: 47 Member
    Quote.png
  • Options
    I guess that's how it works, with my modifications to #2 that makes it more of an "other". :|

It is because the topic of career rewards is another layer of complexity I didn't get into because there were already so many options. "No goals, no rewards" is significantly different to people who wanted to change because the game felt to limiting. It would add another layer of restriction onto those who are seeking to 'relax' the game restrictions, and force some people back into the current mode to get the rewards when that's what they were trying to get away from.

• Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    #3 or #4