Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build Mode Feedback for EA

Comments

• Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    Back from vacation. :) Bringing in an issue reported here. The Nature's Welcome object has the appearance of an archway but has been coded with gate sound effects that are jarring to experience given the visual indication that a sim should be able to walk freely through (and the sim does simply walk through without any animation of opening or closing the gate).
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    @rcone We have those requests in the index, and yes, almost too many more to list (but we have!).

@sawdust Oh, absolutely, and we do have that on the list. :)

@YaraZen we do have requests for roof windows and open windows, but I will add the rounded bay windows to the list.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    Beagler5Beagler5 Posts: 70 Member
    @BryonyRae I love this list... hopefully they will be able to add all these features in the future
  • Options
    Thank you @Beagler5. I hope so too! :)
  • Options
    sooozeeebeeesooozeeebeee Posts: 665 Member
    I hope you had a lovely vacation @BryonyRae . I wanted to add another build request. I would love 2 semi transparent wall art decor sets that can give an aged, dirty, or grungy look to any wall. Ideally there would be 5 pieces in a set. A right and left edge piece, a piece for the top of a wall and a piece for the bottom of a wall, and a small picture sized one that can be enlarged if desired and placed where ever. One set would be crumbling plaster and lathe for older builds, the other set would be more generic with a graduated shadow of dirt with a few cracks. I know there are some wall paints that sort of give this effect, but wall art decor items would let you get that effect with ALL of them. Rugs that let you do something similar would be awesome too! Maybe a round, half round and quarter round version. There is actually something in Debug from the detective or police career that has a "burn spot". If nothing else it would be nice if we could use that and have it survive the gallery. Thank you for compiling this "Wish List". Maybe some of the game designers might actually see it, which would be oh so lovely! We can hope and dream anyway.
  • Options
    I did @sooozeeebeee, thank you. :) Very interesting idea. It would be fun to be able to get a more weathered or decayed look for our builds and would probably tie well into storytelling too. I'll add it. As for the debug item, are you sure it doesn't transfer? I know early on, many debug items didn't transfer but now most do, although there are still exceptions.

I'm also here to report a graphics glitch from this thread. Roof trim on various builds (default Maxis included) are glowing for unknown reasons. The OP reported that this was happening in a build that she plays; I couldn't duplicate that, but I could see the effect on various homes in neighborhoods in multiple worlds. Sometimes simply going out to Manage Worlds and back in would remove the glow; sometimes it wouldn't. Moving sims onto the lot (if residential) removed the glow every time I tried it.

Glowing:
    glow_zps9v6zufhc.jpg

Normal (after moving sim in):
    noglow_zpsci7ofszb.jpg
  • Options
    MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    I hope you had a lovely vacation @BryonyRae . I wanted to add another build request. I would love 2 semi transparent wall art decor sets that can give an aged, dirty, or grungy look to any wall. Ideally there would be 5 pieces in a set. A right and left edge piece, a piece for the top of a wall and a piece for the bottom of a wall, and a small picture sized one that can be enlarged if desired and placed where ever. One set would be crumbling plaster and lathe for older builds, the other set would be more generic with a graduated shadow of dirt with a few cracks. I know there are some wall paints that sort of give this effect, but wall art decor items would let you get that effect with ALL of them. Rugs that let you do something similar would be awesome too! Maybe a round, half round and quarter round version. There is actually something in Debug from the detective or police career that has a "burn spot". If nothing else it would be nice if we could use that and have it survive the gallery. Thank you for compiling this "Wish List". Maybe some of the game designers might actually see it, which would be oh so lovely! We can hope and dream anyway.

Or if they would give us an external (I'd prefer internal like s3 but don't see it happening) casT option we could create our own for use.

Myself I'd like to see paint sets instead of overlays but if overlays showed up I'd be good with that too. Either way there would finally be better options to create worn/old/abandoned/rundown builds for story's and challenges. I've not been happy with the squeaky clean look of s4, but that's me. ;)
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    4/21/16 Patch

Given that this was a small patch, I'm not planning to do my usual full testing. However, I did test the rug stacking bug that was noted, and it is indeed fixed for lots when placed via Build Mode. It is still a problem for lots placed via Manage Worlds (place and edit works, just not place only) and for saved rooms. :/
    Post edited by BryonyRae on
  • Options
    Bringing over an issue raised in this thread: paintings (by reference) and photos taken in the game are often being marked as CC, even though the player does not use any mods/CC. I have created a bug thread for this on the AHQ here.
  • Options
    StSciurusStSciurus Posts: 1,580 Member
    @BryonyRae , I'm not sure if this is related to the painting by reference bug, but I uploaded a household to the gallery and it was tagged as CC. Since I don't use CC or mods, the only thing I could figure out was that one Sim had a painting by reference in her inventory when I uploaded the household. I removed the painting from her inventory by selling it. The family was still tagged as CC when I tried to upload it. And even when I tried to merge families by moving only one Sim into a new family (not the one who had the painting by reference originally) the new family was tagged as CC. I was finally able to upload the the household by starting a brand new game and loading the "CC" family from my library onto a lot and then uploading the household from there. The CC tag was no longer there. It seemed like the painting from reference "contaminated" the whole family permanently while it was in my first game.
  • Options
    sawdustsawdust Posts: 1,003 Member
    I was under the impression that paintings from reference and in game photos have always been classed as CC and the only way to avoid the CC classification was by "jumping through hoops" (so to speak). Didn't you do a tutorial @BryonyRae on how to do paintings from reference to avoid the CC classification?
  • Options
    @StSciurus yes, I've heard about the bug with sims being marked CC. I think it's a separate bug though, as many people have reported it who have not had or created any paintings or photos. I'm glad you figured out the workaround yourself; that is indeed how people are working around the problem. :)

@sawdust Yes, painting by reference and photos of CC content in the game or when mods/CC are installed are and always have been flagged. I did create a workaround for it, although I'm not sure if it still functions or not. However, this issue pertains to a CC and mod free game, where you are painting/photographing in-game objects/scenes. They were never designated CC in the past, nor should they be now.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    I'm in the process of reviewing the 6/11/15 patch for issues and requests reported in our index. Have to take a break, but here's what I've found so far:
    • Regarding the bug we've reported: creating underground structure (basement/fountain/pool) on certain lots introduces a terrain slope and causes painted tiles on the slope to revert back to ground cover; they cannot be altered afterward (see pgs. 12-13). This bug still exists, and after reviewing Newcrest, Comfy Cubby has the issue in the lower right portion of the lot. All other Newcrest lots were okay.
    • 2/20/15 Enable columns to scale to the different wall height settings (requested by RyeCris16) <-- they now do!
    • We appear to have a new foundation style, In the Air. Can anyone confirm when exactly it was added? I didn't notice it prior to today's patch.
    • 4/29/15 Please let us apply a foundation style to exposed foundation (i.e when a basement is added). <-- can now do this!

More to come later!

Where did the "In the Air Foundation" come from? I have it on a build, but when I used the eye drop tool it did not appear in the foundation build options. Was it removed, or is it a bug?

Nevermind, just went back and read more and saw that it is a debug item? That is a bit odd. Think I may change it to something in the normal build section.
  • Options
    It only appears if you enable debug objects via bb.showhiddenobjects @sooozeeebeee.
  • Options
    @BryonyRae thank you! YOU have been very helpful between this and your MOO research and testing. Thank you so very much!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    You're quite welcome @sooozeeebeee. :)

I have a couple of issues to report that I discovered during my last build:
    1. The Old Quarter Inn lot has a problem with its terrain. I created my build on the lot, thought it would be cool to actually use a rug over the terrain, but this is what happened when I tried:
      oldqtrinn_zpsytm1vtat.jpg
      I thought it might be a problem with using the rug, as floor tiles seemed to place okay. I had noticed some difficulty getting them in the right orientation, but I didn't realize the extent of the problem on the lot until placing my build. Various floor tiles were reverted back to grassy terrain. I was able to work around it by bulldozing the lot prior to placement. It is also possible to re-tile those glitched areas. However, I wasn't happy to think that people might download and place my lot and see the odd bits of grass, not knowing what was wrong or what to do about it (I did advise them of the problem in the comments section of the upload, but still...).
    2. Objects placed within a room and completely enclosed by half walls within that room will disappear from view when viewed in camera man (TAB) mode from a level that is one or more levels above the level where they are placed. This is an offbeat one, granted, but it's a problem when you're trying to take a picture of the object in TAB mode that includes the ceiling. The problem does not occur with fencing. Here's what it looks like:
      Now you see it (picture taken in live but not TAB mode):
      hwallsdis1_zpsidpd91wv.jpg
      Now you don't (picture taken in TAB mode after bumping up to the level above this one and then using the Q key to lower the camera down):
      hwallsdis2_zps7vh0potd.jpg1
  • Options
    We've discussed the disappearing stairs issue in the past (see pg. 47), but I have a new case to add which is a little different. If you place Party Cove by @joolster on any of the 40x30 lots that are 40 wide (Cacti Casa in Oasis Springs, Garden Essence in Willow Creek, The Roadhouse in Magnolia Promenade), one of the two sets of stairs goes missing and the other is shifted forward. This does not occur on 40x30 lots that are 30 wide, and it does not occur on 50x40 lots that are 50 wide. The original size of the lot was 30x30. I don't know how this case fits into our rotating roofs theory; I'm not sure that it does, so I wanted to note it here. You can review the details on the AHQ report.
  • Options
    Not much related to build mode in today's patch, but I did test the fix for photos taken in game that were being flagged CC, and they are indeed fixed. :) However, paintings by reference are still getting flagged CC. :/ The paintings weren't mentioned in the patch notes, so I don't know if the devs didn't know they were bugged too or just weren't able to get a fix for them into this patch.
  • Options
    rochelimitrochelimit Posts: 777 Member
    @BryonyRae do you realize that Maxis will improve the interior's lighting in GP Dine Out, adding the shadow that is affected by the Sun from the outside? That is supercool!
  • Options
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    I have a new request, probably difficult and thus probably "pie in the sky," but if it could be implemented, it would introduce so many creative possibilities. It was inspired by this shot I found on Pinterest:

img_7216.jpg

I would like to get the ability to tilt objects, essentially vertical rotation. It would be especially awesome to be able to do it free-form, using ALT, but I could also happily live with preset angles. Oh, the awesome geometric stuff we could do if we had this. :)

Edit: And I just realized what day this is...this is a real request, not an April Fool's Joke. :p

Super!!
  • Options
    Yes, @rochelimit and I am very excited to see it in the next patch. :) I'm wondering if they will also address the other lighting issues we've brought up in this thread... Crossing my fingers!
  • Options
    There are a lot of build mode issues @BryonyRae ! not just lighting. I hope a guru will at least confirm that they are officially watching this thread and do fixing. They should at least respect their fan.
  • Options
    MychQQQMychQQQ Posts: 70 Member
    Oh, I can't wait for the new patch, I'm looking forward to the new lighting :love:
  • Options
    So the big thing in today's (6/2/16) patch for builders is the lighting change, in which exterior light now streams into the interior through the windows. It includes both sunlight and moonlight. I'm really enjoying the change and think it is a pretty good enhancement, but I'm also noticing some rough edges to the shadows that pop up from time to time (sometimes they're very smooth). I'm running with the highest graphics settings for everything and use a NVidia GTX 980ti card. What are other builders seeing?

I plan to take a look at our various requests and bugs pertaining to lighting to see what other updates there might be. One thing that I noticed already is that outdoor lighting is now staying on during the daytime (yay!), so that builds like Jayocean's Moonbase Explorer are lit appropriately, as they were originally designed.

The other great enhancement added in the patch today is that we can now enlarge photos, and even though it was not listed, we can also enlarge paintings (made by reference)! That will give us some great additional options for our interior designs. Thanks so much @SimGuruHouts and dev team. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    More on the patch, after further testing:

9/23/14 Brighter indoor lighting (requested by Fischio). <-- Other than light streaming in through the windows now, the actual indoor lighting has not changed, as far as I can tell (you can test by building a room without windows and simply adding various lights), so I don't think this request has been fulfilled.

7/21/15 Please consider an overhaul to interior lighting (multiple aspects, see pgs 27-29). <-- Some of these issues have been resolved. See the AHQ report for details.

12/15/15 Graphic Glitch - Game forces exterior lighting off between game hours of 5am - 9pm. Even if sims turn lights on, there is no effect, and colored lighting doesn't show. This didn't use to be the case. <-- Fixed

12/23/15 Graphics Glitch - Lighting in an open story does not shine down to lower stories if a full roof is added above the area (even though a ceiling/flooring is already in place) (see pg. 40) <-- Still a problem

2/2/16 Graphics Glitch - Protruding wall décor darkened indoors regardless of lighting (see pg. 43) <-- Still a problem

A new thing to note: we must now be careful of which way a window is oriented; if the arrow is pointing in, it can change color of the light and add floor shadow:

Window, arrow out:
    windowalign1_zpst4ld4sk3.jpg

Window, arrow in:
    windowalign2_zpsyxmunicb.jpg

It's a fairly subtle effect, but still might not be desired, so I thought I would give you a heads-up.