Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Story Progression - Help the Gurus

Comments

• Options
    gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
    I want both really good story progression (ie look at twallan and add his options to towns) and the option to completely turn off, like sims 2. For instance, if sims 2 option is chosen, families you play that aren't being played atm will still be doing what they were when you left them. Pregnancies won't continue etc. until you play them again. They can meet new people at community lots when you take your active sim there, and they happen to be in the background interacting (like in sims 2) but no vast changes will occur unless you, the player initiate it in some way (like visiting them while playing another household, or playing them directly). When you do choose story progression however, I want options to turn on/off various functions so it is how I design it. I want the ones you choose to be townies, (unplayed households in other words) to be free to become lovers and to marry, and to have children who grow up at the same rate as your own sims do. Or not, as you choose. I want them to be able to get jobs, learn skills, make friends and enemies, break up with lovers, and divorce if relationships fall too low. I want a full array of options to be available, so that if you choose to move some of your played sims out, like your children, but no longer want to play them, that you can have the option to choose for them to continue on, having children, marrying, working , learning, making friends etc. Or not. I want the option to choose story progression to be on for individual played families, or off. Some of my families I may just be creating for backdrop, and once they are moved in and set up, I would want story progression to take over. Others, I want full control over. NOTHING happening with them AT ALL unless I am playing them. Individual control is a must. There can be simplified blanket controls (ie played/unplayed/active household only) controls that can be implemented as well for those who do not want to take the time to set it up that complexly. I want the option to choose that the game does or doesn't randomly cause death to happen to some family I have created, for instance. I hope this isn't too complicated, and helps.
  • Options
    Laurenlu12luLaurenlu12lu Posts: 17 New Member
    Its so weird that people actually don't like story progression. Like I'm truly fascinated. It was such a good feature that gave the Sims the ability to write their own legacy. Most outcomes surprised me as a player, because in the past Sims weren't able to make decisions of their own. Controlling every outcome is not only unrealistic, but unbearably bland to me, especially due to the game being an actual "LIFE Simulation" game.

without story progression, everything is more of a routine, when life itself doesn't actually follow one. What are the Sims simulating if your doing everything for them?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    And it bothers me that me as a 14 year simmer, is forced to play a certain way; In a rotational style that is a huge burden. When they introduced a feature that gave me new way to play, a freedom. I loved it. SP should have been an option.
    Yes, emotions are stunning but not so cool if these "Smarter Sims" can't even get a job without me enforcing it, and their almost an elder, and they haven't did SQUAT for nearly two sim decades. Townies are props, not "Sims". I'm hanging with a bunch of props. Oh let me invite some "props" over, so we can talk about what's NOT going on in their lives, about that job they DONT have, and how they are are staying in their homes, without paying a single bill; their not doing SQUAT anyways, they'll be sure to come over! Aren't they interesting.. :|
  • Options
    SimplyToriSimplyTori Posts: 1,804 Member
    I would love to see them bring home Coworkers and children bring home friends, Just like in TS2 :D I would also love to see the away actions not be so pointless, meaning when chatting with coworkers it would make our sims new friends and build relationships, same with the children at school. Making and keeping friends is kind of hard with work and school. Of course I would love marriages and baby making. Invites from friends to hang out. So many other things but these things to me is most important.
    justlurking.gif
  • Options
    What the point of emotions when they Sims are actually lifeless. Literally. Most of them don't develope lives. These emotions go towards nothing but CLICKABLE interactions. That sim that is confident sim only shows it by walking around with his head up his butt, not by getting a promotion because his confidence shows in his work.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    No seriously not to be a negative Nancy, but the installment of emotions seemed to go hand and hand with story progression. I thought that was a given. I just want to see the full effect of emptions; emotions drive actions. But that's where it seems to fall short.. The action. The execution. Where do we see the outcomes of their actions that were driven by this new installment of emotions.
  • Options
    Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    I also thought of being able to control the Storyprogression speed like how Nraas had. That way they wouldn't age up the townies to fast or slow, and even control the brith,marriage, and so fourth milestones with a "cooldown" point.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Options
    blam987blam987 Posts: 462 Member
    I want other sims to have kids >_< I'm tired of everyone getting old and my family is the only one who have kids. I also want sims to start moving out when they're adults. I think it's weird if there's a house with 4 siblings and they all grew up old together not even having their first kiss... I don't like this rotational game play it takes time out of my important gameplay to just move people out of their homes and marry them and make them have kids. Ugh.
    oa8abb.gif
  • Options
    pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    No Sims disappearing and/or moving out the game for any reason whatsoever.

Unplayed households to have marriages, divorces and, most importantly, children.

Played households to never initiate first time romantic interactions with another sim.

Sims to get jobs and promotions.
  • Options
    VirtualPets65VirtualPets65 Posts: 133 Member
    > @jennemm75 said:
    > To be able to TURN IT OFF completely and not have any Story Progression. I dont want my played sims doing anything when I am not playing them :D

I agree 100% . I don't want Sims 4 to be a repeat of Sims 3 where neighbors did things like marry,get jobs,die,move out,etc without the player even knowing about it until too late. Sims 4 should be like Sims 1 and 2 combined-no story progression. The story progression is what turned me off of Sims 3 for good.
  • Options
    Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    @blam987: yeah, it's honestly the only pain I had while playing TS2 (which Is why I only played as one family and never really ventured out with another one). I didn't get into crazy generational play (like 10+ generations or so) till TS3. Everything felt frozen in time...lol. I really hope they add a Story Progression that lets these sims really use their smarts.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Options
    > @jennemm75 said:<br />
    > To be able to TURN IT OFF completely and not have any Story Progression. I dont want my played sims doing anything when I am not playing them :D<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I agree 100% . I don't want Sims 4 to be a repeat of Sims 3 where neighbors did things like marry,get jobs,die,move out,etc without the player even knowing about it until too late. Sims 4 should be like Sims 1 and 2 combined-no story progression. The story progression is what turned me off of Sims 3 for good.

I loved that! I could move out children and they still had a life.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    VerdantSF wrote: »
    It would be cool if we got newspapers with Story Progression that listed promotions, marriages, births, adoptions, etc. That way, you can see the information if you want, but you aren't bombarded with it unless you actually seek it out.

How about a Neighborhood News option on the phone/tablet/computer? Would make it easier to seek out without killing trees and throwing out newspapers every day. :)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Its so weird that people actually don't like story progression. Like I'm truly fascinated. It was such a good feature that gave the Sims the ability to write their own legacy. Most outcomes surprised me as a player, because in the past Sims weren't able to make decisions of their own. Controlling every outcome is not only unrealistic, but unbearably bland to me, especially due to the game being an actual "LIFE Simulation" game. <br />
    <br />
    without story progression, everything is more of a routine, when life itself doesn't actually follow one. What are the Sims simulating if your doing everything for them?

I can see the issues though -- if you want to play your original family and maybe one of the kids when s/he moves out, it can be a problem if the game does something to one of the households that you don't want (like if I'm playing my Sim's eldest in his household and the game decides to randomly get his sister pregnant or his parents divorced). If it had an option to either turn it off completely or to turn it off for specific houses/any households that have been actively played, that could work. That way the rest of the town would continue to grow and have a life, while the families you're playing are still under your control.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    PamhamletPamhamlet Posts: 5,556 Member
    So far I am liking Sims 4 without story progression. If it was brought back, I think there should be a toggle for players to have a choice whether it is on/off. If I were to use SP, I would prefer it to be a simplified version that doesn't add a lot of details or stat keeping for the residents which could bog performance and bloat save files. I'm thinking that the way Sims 4 is set up performance-wise, it wouldn't be able to handle all that detail throughout the town anyway, especially the way Sims 3 story progression was. I definitely don't want to go back to that.

Incidently, I've read several posts here and on Crinrict's bug thread on EA's help forum, that many Sims-4 Sims are going missing--player created and played family members (including children) as well as moved-in townies. That is my main concern at this point. It almost seems like how Sims 3 story progression worked, moving out "unplayed" Sims, just because you temporarily switched households. I wouldn't be happy with that. I don't mind the aging part---we can already set controls over that anyway. But no Sims 3 story progression, please.
  • Options
    zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    edited September 2014
    VerdantSF wrote: »
    It would be cool if we got newspapers with Story Progression that listed promotions, marriages, births, adoptions, etc. That way, you can see the information if you want, but you aren't bombarded with it unless you actually seek it out.

How about a Neighborhood News option on the phone/tablet/computer? Would make it easier to seek out without killing trees and throwing out newspapers every day. :)

I am on the "NO" to any story progression side. I DO find it fascinating how opposite the 2 sides are. One can't fathom the game without it. The other finds it a Deal Breaker and can't fathom playing with it.

But I have to say IF there is story progression I would really like something like you said, an easily accessable newspaper, computer or something that informs you of the Town Gossip and everything you may want to know.

Say 2 sims are hooking up and you don't want them too. Maybe you could read all about it and have the option to intervene.

Edit: OR so and so is THINKING of leaving town because he doesn't have enough simoleons to stay in his current house. Then you could have the option to get him a job, cheat, whatever.

Still, to me it seems like too much interference from the game.
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    What I suggest might be more complex

- I want first ON and OFF for the whole story progression
    - Then Like the aging option I want SP options ON/OFF for playable sims and unplayable sims. I prefer to have SP on for my townies while keep it off for the sims living on the worlds.
    - Story Progression Tuning Options:
    1) Marriage On/off
    2) Divorce or breakup On/off
    3) Pregnancy On/off with the ability to specify the maximum number of births. Means if you put it as 3 then that household wont have more than 3 children
    4) careers On/off
    5) skill developments on/off
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    lynny wrote: »
    It's not story progression, but can we tone down the obsessive nature of sims? I made friends with Eliza Pancakes and now she's at my house everyday when I get home from work. She stays after I've gone to bed. I need a restraining order and some pepper spray I think.

I love this, why do u want her to go. Fire your maid and get this volunteer sim to work in cleaning your toilet instead. Lol
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    Pretty much what you have said and there should be a family tree with it too.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Its so weird that people actually don't like story progression. Like I'm truly fascinated. It was such a good feature that gave the Sims the ability to write their own legacy. Most outcomes surprised me as a player, because in the past Sims weren't able to make decisions of their own. Controlling every outcome is not only unrealistic, but unbearably bland to me, especially due to the game being an actual "LIFE Simulation" game.

And it bothers me that me as a 14 year simmer, is forced to play a certain way; In a rotational style that is a huge burden. When they introduced a feature that gave me new way to play, a freedom. I loved it. SP should have been an option. <br />
    Yes, emotions are stunning but not so cool if these "Smarter Sims" can't even get a job without me enforcing it, and their almost an elder, and they haven't did SQUAT for nearly two sim decades. Townies are props, not "Sims". I'm hanging with a bunch of props. Oh let me invite some "props" over, so we can talk about what's NOT going on in their lives, about that job they DONT have, and how they are are staying in their homes, without paying a single bill; their not doing SQUAT anyways, they'll be sure to come over! Aren't they interesting.. :|

Well, that is your preferred play style, and I respect that. However, from the perspective of someone who does not want TS3-style story progression in their game, there are some of us who really do prefer to script our sims' lives in such a manner. For me and others with the same taste, it's fun and thrilling to have such a high level of control over an entire community of virtual people, playing the role of the ancient Greek Fates at their loom, weaving the threads of destiny in and out at our leisure to create whatever patterns we see fit. You can laugh at me for waxing poetic here, but it's true.

Some of us like to predetermine who hooks up with whom and how many kids they have. Some of us like going from household to household and synching up events just so to get everyone in the perfect position for the next story arc or the grand climactic scene. Townies? They are but extras in our epic play of fate unless and until we so decide to promote them to major supporting cast or lead players. We progress our stories at our own pace and whim...and we love it that way.

I also understand why some prefer TS3's story progression, though. Some people prefer improv to scripted plotlines and would rather have the game engine roll the dice on the sims and families that they aren't playing actively. It's like one person preferring The Big Bang Theory while another would rather watch Who's Line is it Anyway?. That is why I say that there should be options provided so every player can get the most out of this game in their own way instead of being forced to play one way or the other.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    RudiaroseRudiarose Posts: 891 Member
    Yes, please need some kind of story pro.
  • Options

And it bothers me that me as a 14 year simmer, is forced to play a certain way; In a rotational style that is a huge burden. When they introduced a feature that gave me new way to play, a freedom. I loved it. SP should have been an option. <br />

Well, that is your preferred play style, and I respect that. However, from the perspective of someone who does not want TS3-style story progression in their game, there are some of us who really do prefer to script our sims' lives in such a manner. For me and others with the same taste, it's fun and thrilling to have such a high level of control over an entire community of virtual people, playing the role of the ancient Greek Fates at their loom, weaving the threads of destiny in and out at our leisure to create whatever patterns we see fit. You can laugh at me for waxing poetic here, but it's true.

Some of us like to predetermine who hooks up with whom and how many kids they have. Some of us like going from household to household and synching up events just so to get everyone in the perfect position for the next story arc or the grand climactic scene. Townies? They are but extras in our epic play of fate unless and until we so decide to promote them to major supporting cast or lead players. We progress our stories at our own pace and whim...and we love it that way.

I also understand why some prefer TS3's story progression, though. Some people prefer improv to scripted plotlines and would rather have the game engine roll the dice on the sims and families that they aren't playing actively. It's like one person preferring The Big Bang Theory while another would rather watch Who's Line is it Anyway?. That is why I say that there should be options provided so every player can get the most out of this game in their own way instead of being forced to play one way or the other.

You all act like you could't just turn off Story Progression in TS3...

Was that really that hard, checking it off that they had to make it not an option at all?
  • Options
    leigheleighe Posts: 57 Member
    No story progression at all. In Sims 3 I was never able to get past generation 1 due to story progression. I want to be able to control how my families progress. Turning it off doesn't work.
  • Options
    then the switch was broken in sims 3...
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • Options

You all act like you could't just turn off Story Progression in TS3...

Was that really that hard, checking it off that they had to make it not an option at all?