Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Maybe this is it?

I've been thinking about Sims 4 a bunch. I honestly love it. But with key game play things missing, it makes me wonder why?

Lots: No more open world. Maybe that's because too many had problems with Sims 3? Now we have like..little open worlds. I can still stalk random sims to a point. And this game seems to run smoother because of little lots. Also where ever you are, there are plenty of sims milling around to keep you occupied. Like...a lot of sims. lol I do love a full lot!

No toddlers: You guys really think we'll never have toddlers?! C'mon now... Maybe it's because with the base game, they wanted us to focus more on general game play with adults? Or maybe since everyone has complained for YEARS for an all out kids/teen EP that we'll finally get one? And it'll add both toddlers and pre-teens and a boat load of clothes/action/decore?

No Create a Style: Ok I can't really talk thing down. At least give us a color wheel! I think we'll get that eventually, too.

Not enough to do/places to go: Again everyone complained about Rabbit Holes. Maybe they tried to resolve this by giving us places we can actually play in? And if that was given to us in an open world, the game would run like yuck. And again, tons wouldn't be able to run/play this game and will complain..

No pools: I can't talk this down either. Seriously what the plum?

Loading Screens: How Sims 2 of them... But I don't mind as much as others. Maybe again, it is for smoother game play?

So in my opinion, I think Maxis/EA really tried to please the majority but missed some marks. I really love Sims 4 and all the little awesome details we get. This game had me at build mode, muti-tasking, and emotions. Also the harder work it is to make friends!! lol I know people will disagree and dislike this thread. Or complain about another opinion thread. But like Maxis/EA, I can't please everyone.

HAPPY SIMMING EVERYONE!
let's be friends on origin: hello0jewby
*Team Seasons*
XtR6m6.png

Comments

• Options
    hellojewbyhellojewby Posts: 1,316 Member
    No opinions?
    *Team Seasons*
    XtR6m6.png
  • Options
    Lucky25Lucky25 Posts: 544 Member
    I agree, they've tried to please the majority, not the minority. And I think the majority ARE happy with this game, minus the whole pools and toddlers thing (but as you and many many others have suggested, both of these things will more than likely make an appearance at a later date).
    ace46abf-17de-4ccb-b09d-2f869a1566dc_zpswzf3im24.jpg
  • Options
    RakawreRakawre Posts: 71 Member
    Sims 1 and Sims 4 relate a lot.
  • Options
    munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    Rakawre wrote: »
    Sims 1 and Sims 4 relate a lot.

I think the Sims 4 is the Sims 1's older Sister that wears a lot of make up :)
  • Options
    Lucky25 wrote: »
    I agree, they've tried to please the majority, not the minority. And I think the majority ARE happy with this game, minus the whole pools and toddlers thing (but as you and many many others have suggested, both of these things will more than likely make an appearance at a later date).

And I personally don't mind! lol I'm a simmer. I craaave expansions! Gimme gimme!
    *Team Seasons*
    XtR6m6.png
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I really care about the pools, but I can wait for them to appear. I also wanted toddlers, but they haven't really been able to do a lot ever since they were introduced in TS2. Oftentimes they're just a nuisance and they end up being underdeveloped as a gameplay feature.

I actually don't mind having no open worlds. Back in TS3, the open world sometimes caused my sims to lag (I'm looking at you, Bridgeport). The worst part is when sims go to a Late Night venue, stand outside for hours, and by the time they come in, the venue is just about to close. At least this time the loaded areas are manageable, and the loading times are okay.

I also don't mind having no Create-a-style. Sometimes I pick out color-coordinated wardrobes for sims (PINK FOR EVERYONE!) and maybe even having matching room styles, but oftentimes I'd get too lazy and just pick presets. Create-a-style was also laggy anyway, and textures took forever to load. I can understand why some players are upset over the loss, but if it means having faster gameplay, I really don't mind.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    I really care about the pools, but I can wait for them to appear. I also wanted toddlers, but they haven't really been able to do a lot ever since they were introduced in TS2. Oftentimes they're just a nuisance and they end up being underdeveloped as a gameplay feature.

I actually don't mind having no open worlds. Back in TS3, the open world sometimes caused my sims to lag (I'm looking at you, Bridgeport). The worst part is when sims go to a Late Night venue, stand outside for hours, and by the time they come in, the venue is just about to close. At least this time the loaded areas are manageable, and the loading times are okay.

I also don't mind having no Create-a-style. Sometimes I pick out color-coordinated wardrobes for sims (PINK FOR EVERYONE!) and maybe even having matching room styles, but oftentimes I'd get too lazy and just pick presets. Create-a-style was also laggy anyway, and textures took forever to load. I can understand why some players are upset over the loss, but if it means having faster gameplay, I really don't mind.

Exactly! My sims can actually go do things and enjoy themselves before work, ya know? time isn't wasted trying to get in the club anymore. lol
    *Team Seasons*
    XtR6m6.png
  • Options
    MonkeeGoddessMonkeeGoddess Posts: 315 Member
    I agree with pretty much all of your post. There will be pools eventually. Why they took them out is anyone's guess. But pools will be back one day. Them being missing doesn't bother me because I hardly ever played with pools anyway.

As for toddlers, based on how teens act in the game I think you might be right about toddlers and preteens making an appearance once day. That could be fun. I thought I would miss toddlers but I strangely don't. They didn't take away from my experience if the game and there are more than enough adorable family interactions that I hardly miss that life stage.
    The desert is calling.
    The emptiness of space.
    The hunger of a lion
    Is written on your face.
    A maniac's new love song.
    Destruction is his game.
    I need a new direction,
    Cause I have lost my way.

• Options
    Yeah I'm ok without seeming the little minions picking there noses all day. eventually I'll be ready.
    *Team Seasons*
    XtR6m6.png
  • Options
    KaylyRedKaylyRed Posts: 309 Member
    The pools, toddlers, loading screens... they only bother me a little. I get that some sacrifices had to be made in order for Maxis to reinvent the game engine. Yes, the world does feel small, but the game performs a lot better and I appreciate that.

The thing that really DOES bother me is the lack of emotional response from Sims. From all the hype about the AI, I expected them to be really smart and for emotions to matter. But your sims experience these really life-changing events like marriage, birth, death, etc. ... and there's almost no reaction on their part. My sim had a baby, and aside from the moaning and groaning of labor and the dad freaking out for a few seconds, the game went on and all I got to show for getting my sim through a horrible pregnancy (I do like the reality of pregnant sims having to pee a lot, waking at night, etc.) was a New Baby moodlet. I'd really hoped for these big events to feel more significant.
    Download the Americana Series! Sears catalog kit homes and more from 20thCentury America. Additional manors and community builds in my Showcase Thread.| Origin ID: KaylyRed

• Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited September 2014
    hellojewby wrote: »
    So in my opinion, I think Maxis/EA really tried to please the majority
    Not even that! The development of TS4 began when John Riccitiello was CEO and he was an "everything must be online" maniac. So TS4 was originally planned as MMO game while the majority of Simmers loud and clear said we don't want Sims to be online. Hence they scrapped that part and built a single player game upon what was left.
    cnbc.com/id/44611179/Electronic_Arts_CEO_Social_Gaming_Business_Exploding

honeywellsims4news.tumblr.com/post/63437610043/more-corroboration-for-patrick-kelly-the-sims-4

This space is for rent.
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    Lucky25 wrote: »

I have to disagree with you.

I think that the people that hate it and the people that love it are both the minority. Seems to me that the majority neither love or hate it. To me that is far worse because it's a feeling that lacks passion either way. I find that troubling more so than the other two spectrums especially within the first week of it going live.

There should be tons of love and tons of hate, there should not be so many of us saying.. meh, I'm remaining hopeful.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    Flower24Flower24 Posts: 20 New Member
    I played Sims for over a decade, and I am kind of mixed. I love the loading screens because it is so much faster, no 3 minute loads into the game. Its quick to get into the game, and saving the game takes like 3-5 seconds rather than a minute!! But then, I don't feel as connected without the open world. I am not sure xd
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I don't care how Sims 4 got started, it does not matter to me, what really matters, is now, this game plays flawless, no lag, nothing. the Sims themselves are so real. I have not laughed at the Sims in a long time, but these guys are addictive. the gameplay is so great that you forget there are no pools, toddlers, and there seems to be nothing really missing that I am concerned about. The sims all look so good, and there are Sims everywhere, interaction all the time. group talks, or if you like you can play alone with your sims. Stories, Legacies are all available, Check with Pinstar, he has no trouble putting together the rules for the Legacy. It is all set up now. Stories, check with the Stories in Categories and you will see that yes, stories can still be told. The graphic are nice. the town is small yes, but it does not seem so to much, the loading screen are very fast, 5-10 sec. it does not bother me now, kind of gives you a quick break to make plans when you sims get there. I know that there will be some great Eps on the way. Playing for a hour to me is not possible, I get so wrapped up that it ends up for hours before I realize it. Do I miss pools, no, but I do like swimming, so I do hope that we get that back in a Exp. I know a lot of people like toddlers, and I hope that they will put them in somehow, but for me I do not miss them. The babies are really cute, I like there cry now, it seems more real. Babies did not last any longer then 3 days for me in sims 3, so babies now fit my gameplay just fine. Well we all have our own idea of how we want to play, I hope that everyone finds theirs. Have a happy simming day.
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    Flower24 wrote: »
    I played Sims for over a decade, and I am kind of mixed. I love the loading screens because it is so much faster, no 3 minute loads into the game. Its quick to get into the game, and saving the game takes like 3-5 seconds rather than a minute!! But then, I don't feel as connected without the open world. I am not sure xd
    But you face loading screens over and over! In Sims 3 we have ONE loading screen and we can go wherever we please. On top of that the most part of the Sims 4 neighborhoods is even just decoration which can't be walked into.

This space is for rent.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    What are rabbit holes
  • Options
    What are rabbit holes

building you could go in, but not play. just watch the "get it done" timer. annoying.
    *Team Seasons*
    XtR6m6.png
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

And I personally don't mind! lol I'm a simmer. I craaave expansions! Gimme gimme!

Do you honestly think EPs will make the game better? Naturally there will be more stuff....there always is.....but will it make the game better?

I made the mistake of buying EPs, Sps and store content for TS3 in the hopes that things I didn't like would be better.....and it never happened.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    dfstonedfstone Posts: 215 Member
    Lots: I'll take it over the crash-fest and pathing nightmare that Sims 3's "open world" turned into.

Toddlers: Fluff. They were basically human pets.

Create a Style: Fluff. It served zero purpose gameplay wise and only served to make the game more unstable.

Pools: Fluff. Thanks to pathing and build issues my sim would frequently get stuck in them. They were decoration, little more than that.

Venues: Sims 4 default worlds are smaller, but I find there's plenty to do since you can travel to both of the default towns whenever you want.

What maxis did was go back to the Sims' roots and refine what really mattered, that is the Sims themselves and their personalities/behaviors. I didn't buy a game to simulate loading a dishwasher or swimming in a pool. I bought a game that simulates human behavior. That's what the game is all about. Sims 3 distracted people and EA took the ship off its course. I'm glad they got it back on track.
  • Options

Do you honestly think EPs will make the game better? Naturally there will be more stuff....there always is.....but will it make the game better?

I made the mistake of buying EPs, Sps and store content for TS3 in the hopes that things I didn't like would be better.....and it never happened.

yes i do. i love ep's and have hardly been let down.
    *Team Seasons*
    XtR6m6.png
  • Options
    dfstone wrote: »
    Lots: I'll take it over the crash-fest and pathing nightmare that Sims 3's "open world" turned into.

Toddlers: Fluff. They were basically human pets.

Create a Style: Fluff. It served zero purpose gameplay wise and only served to make the game more unstable.

Pools: Fluff. Thanks to pathing and build issues my sim would frequently get stuck in them. They were decoration, little more than that.

Venues: Sims 4 default worlds are smaller, but I find there's plenty to do since you can travel to both of the default towns whenever you want.

What maxis did was go back to the Sims' roots and refine what really mattered, that is the Sims themselves and their personalities/behaviors. I didn't buy a game to simulate loading a dishwasher or swimming in a pool. I bought a game that simulates human behavior. That's what the game is all about. Sims 3 distracted people and EA took the ship off its course. I'm glad they got it back on track.

this this this
    *Team Seasons*
    XtR6m6.png