Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 "create-a-style-tool"?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    aaronrogers8i3aaronrogers8i3 Posts: 555 Member
    edited August 2014
    I doubt we'll ever see CAST in the main game but a simple tool to edit UV map textures would be perfect. Being able to make a custom color swatch wouldn't kill performance.
  • Options
    DarchitectDarchitect Posts: 523 Member
    Really, just the color wheel would be enough.
  • Options
    I doubt we'll ever see CAST in the main game but a simple tool to edit UV map textures would be perfect. Being able to make a custom color swatch wouldn't kill performance.

Do you really think their developers have the ability to create a functional UV mapper? I would tap dance if that happened, but I think I'm more likely to the sun rise in the East.
  • Options
    mpatty02mpatty02 Posts: 480 Member
    pc452000 wrote: »
    unfortunately The CASt was the MAIN REASON The Sims 3 was so LAGGY even on high end rigs. So EA scrapped it. I am on their side, in this issue, Why put in something that will just hold back another franchise? If TS4 had Create a style, it wouldn't be anything more that a Sims 3.5... I honestly never used CASt.. it was clunky and just boring in my opinion.. I won't miss pools or toddlers or cars either..

I know I'm going to get shunned for this, but I agree with you on CASt, and pools. I literally never made them, but that doesn't change the fact that some people did and they wanted to have the option to create them. I'm still on the side of wanting toddlers back though. I can understand cutting CASt to improve game performance, but I really can't understand what cutting toddlers and pools really did to improve TS4.
  • Options
    DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    unfortunately The CASt was the MAIN REASON The Sims 3 was so LAGGY....

Eh? Uh no, not really. The fact that Maxis wasn't able to optimize the CaSt feature may have been the reason it was so laggy. A new game with a new engine would have been a great opportunity for them to make it better this time, but for whatever the reason is it along with anything else that didn't work "perfectly" was just cut entirely.

"Why improve when you can just remove" seems to be the motto.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited September 2014
    unfortunately The CASt was the MAIN REASON The Sims 3 was so LAGGY even on high end rigs. So EA scrapped it. I am on their side, in this issue, Why put in something that will just hold back another franchise? If TS4 had Create a style, it wouldn't be anything more that a Sims 3.5... I honestly never used CASt.. it was clunky and just boring in my opinion.. I won't miss pools or toddlers or cars either..
    There was no problem implementing Cast on my computers. Now while some high end computers may have some lag it is how it outfitted, you can have a high end CPU and utilize a low end to med range GPU and vice versa in which you will have bottlenecking because of the uneven match.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    There was no problem implementing Cast on my computers. Now while some high end computers may have some lag it is how it outfitted, you can have a high end CPU and utilize a low end to med range GPU and vice versa in which you will have bottlenecking because of the uneven match.
    Or just poor code optimization or limited RAM access. CASt should have been a no-brainer to include. Who made theses calls? They should be fired.
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    The only reason why CASt was so laggy was because they built it on a crappy engine (A.K.A TS3).
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    bobyo2001 wrote: »
    The only reason why CASt was so laggy was because they built it on a crappy engine (A.K.A TS3).

It's sad because it's true. I keep hoping some one will create a mod that fixes that!
  • Options
    brendan_mottbrendan_mott Posts: 3 New Member
    > @pc452000 said:
    > unfortunately The CASt was the MAIN REASON The Sims 3 was so LAGGY even on high end rigs. So EA scrapped it. I am on their side, in this issue, Why put in something that will just hold back another franchise?

I feel that CASt was very laggy as well, however, I feel that their should at least be more color options for some objects. Some furniture and other objects have lots of colors, whereas others have barely anything. I feel that even if CASt isn't a thing, EA should at least put a better color tool because it can be difficult when using their default styles. Not only that, but most of the colorful furniture is the cheaper furniture.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    ahholladay wrote: »
    keyb0x wrote: »
    They could perhaps offer an external app to do what CAST did in TS3, no one really knows beyond it not being in the release of the base game.

I would be really happy with this. Sort of like The Body Shop was for Sims 2. If EA doesn't offer it, I'm hoping that a modder will create an easy-to-use tool that will serve the same purpose.

There actually is one. Its called Sims 4 Studio. There's also one called TSR Workshop but to be honest, I find Studio easier to use. I'm saying its easy to use because I can use it and that's saying a great deal. I am not an artist or even a creator of decent stick people. I've successfully recolored, and in some cases used real clothing images to create sims equivalent ones. Its a super simple tool to use if you have a paint or photo program.. basically just like body shop was.

Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    HeyHeyyHeyHeyy Posts: 465 Member
    They should at least add a color wheel.

& maybe an option to add our own patterns.
    GALLERY: jdm14_xx
    LIKE my page on FACEBOOK. @jm.violetsims14

<3
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    @HeyHeyy I don't know if that'd even be possible without completely reworking the way the game handles clothing/hair/object files and changing the existing ones out for the new type. The Sims 3 used a different type of file with specular (i know its spelled wrong) maps and uv layers and different color channels instead of a colored texture file like TS2 and 4 had/have.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    HeyHeyyHeyHeyy Posts: 465 Member
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    @HeyHeyy I don't know if that'd even be possible without completely reworking the way the game handles clothing/hair/object files and changing the existing ones out for the new type. The Sims 3 used a different type of file with specular (i know its spelled wrong) maps and uv layers and different color channels instead of a colored texture file like TS2 and 4 had/have.

oh thats true, i never thought of it that way. =/
    GALLERY: jdm14_xx
    LIKE my page on FACEBOOK. @jm.violetsims14

<3
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    As much as I would love CASt back, I would be happy if they even gave us matching colors for things we have now. There are cabinets where the dark wood doesn't match the dark wood for the same counter. There are couches and love seats that are supposed to be the same set, but green is not the same green. Why do curtains and carpets only come in beige, green, or pink? People have made the argument that sometimes furniture does not match, but if I buy a living room set, the couch and chair are the same color! The tables are all the same wood! Why can't the game be like that?
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    2HubbiesNLove2HubbiesNLove Posts: 658 Member
    I don't miss CASt necessarily, but I do miss being able to recolor the ugliness that was in TS3. Create-a-Style... for me, I spent hours upon hours just getting textures to match others which irritated me, so I stopped and just spent time recoloring the swatches and textures that a wall, a floor, an object, or clothing that was already present in TS3, which cut my creativity in half. I would love to have a generic and basic color wheel in TS4. Textures I could care less since there's already a huge lack of textures in TS4... it's all just very Plain Jane Boring. I'm very eccentric in TS4 and only having earthtones and soft pallets is, in my opinion, very Plain Jane Boring. If we could have the option to change at least the dominant color I could look past the other lesser colors as long as I could have things that truly matched.
  • Options
    FruitytootieO4FruitytootieO4 Posts: 2 New Member
    I would love for them to bring back create-a-style even the color wheel. I get really tired of only having 4-6 basic colors or the color mixes that are base game added. I may not like pink and yellow or the other color mixes they have given me!. Or even when it comes to adding CC into your game I may love the the way a dress is made but may not like the colors that the creator is offering. When this game was first released upon reading in the blog if I'm correct the creator/developer stated that they took away the create-a-style because it limited a players creativity! Uh how do you get that?? That is what allowed each player to make it there in own. This player might like plaid and one might like stripes you got the best of both plaid, stripes or just down plain. I might like my couch to match my love seat and curtains, and I could choose what best fit what I was feeling at that time which might be stripes....now I can only use what I'm given and some of the color choices are not so hot.
  • Options
    MystePlzMystePlz Posts: 3 New Member
    Create-a-Style was the reason I played Sims 3 for as long as I did, and continue to do so. I bought all of the expansions and sunk a ridiculous amount of money into the game, the way I never did for any previous versions, strictly because I loved the extreme customization this function offered. It was three games in one, really -- sometimes I want to play as my Sims. Sometimes I wanted to create unique Sims. Sometimes I just wanted to design.

Considering the Sims was originally created to be an architectural game, CAS felt like it was honoring its roots. Unfortunately, to me, Sims 4 has completely disregarded its roots, and I will not be putting a cent into it unless they decide to add a CAS function. I cannot imagine the game without it. It's such an integral part of my gaming experience that there's simply no going back.

I don't have a fancy set up by any means, but CAS was never unbearably laggy for me.
    I really hope they add a feature like this some day, or at least do right by their original concept in Sims 5.

Although considering how many people were disappointed by 4, they may not ever get a chance at redemption.