Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why in my ~OPINION~ The Sims 4 doesn't suck.

Let's face it TS4 has been getting A LOT of hatred. And honestly I cannot figure out why. I'm pretty sure we all know "the list" but thing is that not even 20 things on that list were listed in the TS3 base game. But look at the CAS they're giving us. It's amazing, so is building houses. People are always crying about everything that TS4 lacks but fail to see everything it offers. Sure pools I will miss, but I never particularly enjoyed toddlers. Or any life stage other than young adult. Sure this may just be me, but the difference is small. Let us not forget that it already is a 9GB game, how much can they possibly fit in? The graphics are pretty fun imo, more cartoonish and what-not. The Sims 4 doesn't exactly lack open world. It's more like open neighbourhood. Like in the console versions of TS3. Sure you may ask "Is that a good thing?". Well yes it quite is! The facts are real, not everyone has a 9K$ worth Alienware to play TS3 with no lag at all. The 10-30 seconds loading screens provide us with fully charged neighbourhoods, as opposed to the Sims 3, where even though you had open world you could only focus at one lot at a time and objects took years to load.
Having said all of that, TS4 IS worth buying, and people should stop flaming it until they have tried it. Afraid you're gonna waste your money? Wait to rent the game first and if you like it buy it.
It's just like boiling a frog! If you try to throw a frog in a warm pot it'll hop right out! But if you put it in mild water and warm it up slowly, the frog won't understand what's happening until it is too late!

Comments

• Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I'm glad for you that the changes that we see with TS4 have coincidentally meshed with your preferred playing style and aside from pools you will miss nothing. But like you said, this is something we are going to need to experience for ourselves, first hand, before we can decide if the game is plum, or if it is as wonderful as some hope it will be. It does lack open world. It lacks even open neighborhood, since only a VERY small portion of the 'hood is useable and the majority of it closed, and you can't walk up to a neighbor's door and knock. I'm sorry objects took 'years' for you to load, they didn't with everyone. They didn't for me and I have far from a decent computer, I guess it just worked for some and drove the rest mad. I don't see anything wrong with expressing opinions on what we've seen so far, for better or worse. Some things you honestly don't have to experience firsthand to know it's going to *plum*.
  • Options
    DeerLordDeerLord Posts: 236 Member
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, this game nobody has played is definitely %100 percent worth buying... don't say it isn't until you've tried it.

And you're right, people should rent this PC game if they're unsure. Better jump on that quick since it's apparently the only one you can rent :#
  • Options
    DasakalaDasakala Posts: 126 Member
    Hmm I am sorry to hear you can't walk up to neighbours anymore. They were so useful as test monkeys, when my Sims needed some blood to drink, when they needed somebody to use Dew on, to find some mermain and drug them under the sea to steal their kelp, good times. I'm getting a new GPU tomorrow, and Installed the game and all the eps. I'm so excited.
    It's just like boiling a frog! If you try to throw a frog in a warm pot it'll hop right out! But if you put it in mild water and warm it up slowly, the frog won't understand what's happening until it is too late!
  • Options
    allisoneg02allisoneg02 Posts: 2,870 Member
    I agree with some of what you've said. What I have to disagree on mostly is having an expensive computer and being able to play 3 smoothly. I have an alienware, not a 9k$ one though by any means but still I SHOULD be able to run it with my specs but I still have very annoying lag, crashing and other issues. Seems like the closer we get to sims 4 release the more I have.. I tried to do some building the other day and ran into too many problems to even want to continue :(

I'm not too worried about the missing features in Sims 4... YET. I want to play it for myself because it really does seem like it's going to be a fun game. Sure there might be things I miss here and there but that isn't going to stop me from trying it out!
    - Check out my youtube channel and my sims 4 legacy on tumblr-
    alliesim02
    The Scott Legacy
  • Options
    Sims 4 will definitely run a lot better. My laptop could handle TS3 on High (NOT MAX) with no edge smoothing. I ran the demo on MAX with edge smoothing and advanced rendering on and blah blah blah, 60 FPS.
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    I don't like what I see in this game. I just know I won't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the previous games. They removed everything I liked about TS3 (story progression, open world, color wheel, CASt...) and now I can't imagine going back to loading screens and presets only. I may enjoy TS2 but only because it is a finished game and the Sims are just so goofy and funny. Honestly, I don't care about the new CAS or emotions. I spent hours trying to make my simself but in the end it looked nothing like me, while in TS2 and TS3 I would just chose the first preset out of everything face-related and I'd be happy. Now, emotions. Sure, sure, they are a cool addition to the game but sometimes I think it's unnecessary to include deaths related to emotions. Like seriously, how many people in history died of laughter? 5? I could be wrong, but I know it's fairly rare. And no ghosts? Ghosts have been a part of The Sims since the original game. Why remove them? They're like the earliest life state other than humans in TS. Okay I'm gonna stop rambling now because I don't think anyone cares about my complaints.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I have an Alienware too. My game runs beautifully without Island Paradise installed. With it, it lagged to hell. :( Now my game doesn't lag at all. Regardless, I'm not interested in TS4 now because I'm afraid that it'll be really buggy and TS3 is still a lot of fun for me. TS4 doesn't look fun to me. I get that other people will enjoy it, but it's very meh to me.

It's too bad that so many people have so many problems with TS3 because it had such potential.
  • Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    DeerLord wrote: »
    And you're right, people should rent this PC game if they're unsure. Better jump on that quick since it's apparently the only one you can rent :#

Ah the days when it was actually possible to do that easily.
    How do you rent an origin game which requires a key? o.O
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Options
    > @Kelly_Blake said:
    > DeerLord wrote: »
    >
    > And you're right, people should rent this PC game if they're unsure. Better jump on that quick since it's apparently the only one you can rent :#
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Ah the days when it was actually possible to do that easily.
    > How do you rent an origin game which requires a key?
    Quite easy baka :p there are CD copies sold out of course. A video store rents the cd and BAM ya can play. Brilliant? Well ... not really XD
  • Options
    VampirspiegeleiVampirspiegelei Posts: 704 Member
    In my opinion there are only two things that could make TS4 suck, or at least be less enjoyable than I thought.
    But those cannot be confirmed nor denied at this point.
    1. Game crashins a lot and has previously unknown gamebreaking bugs
    2. Loading screens only being super quick if you own a SSD

Otherwise I'm pretty sure that it will be a great game and I'll like it a lot.
    Most of the things that people complain about have little or no impact on me (or I am certain that they will appear in the future)
    ... jinkies oO
  • Options
    In my opinion there are only two things that could make TS4 suck, or at least be less enjoyable than I thought.
    But those cannot be confirmed nor denied at this point.
    1. Game crashins a lot and has previously unknown gamebreaking bugs
    2. Loading screens only being super quick if you own a SSD

Otherwise I'm pretty sure that it will be a great game and I'll like it a lot.
    Most of the things that people complain about have little or no impact on me (or I am certain that they will appear in the future)
    I'm quite sure that will not be the case. Well if you try to play TS4 with 1GB ram on a 1.7ghz processor and inter grated graphics powered by potatoes well then ofc they will be long.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited August 2014
    In order to play TS4 you will need to register the key to Origin (to activate it). A single key cannot be registered to multiple Origin accounts. The game will NOT be one that is rentable because of this.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2014
    Dasakala wrote: »
    Let's face it TS4 has been getting A LOT of hatred. And honestly I cannot figure out why. I'm pretty sure we all know "the list" but thing is that not even 20 things on that list were listed in the TS3 base game. But look at the CAS they're giving us. It's amazing, so is building houses. People are always crying about everything that TS4 lacks but fail to see everything it offers. Sure pools I will miss, but I never particularly enjoyed toddlers. Or any life stage other than young adult. Sure this may just be me, but the difference is small. Let us not forget that it already is a 9GB game, how much can they possibly fit in? The graphics are pretty fun imo, more cartoonish and what-not. The Sims 4 doesn't exactly lack open world. It's more like open neighbourhood. Like in the console versions of TS3. Sure you may ask "Is that a good thing?". Well yes it quite is! The facts are real, not everyone has a 9K$ worth Alienware to play TS3 with no lag at all. The 10-30 seconds loading screens provide us with fully charged neighbourhoods, as opposed to the Sims 3, where even though you had open world you could only focus at one lot at a time and objects took years to load. <br />
    Having said all of that, TS4 IS worth buying, and people should stop flaming it until they have tried it. Afraid you're gonna waste your money? Wait to rent the game first and if you like it buy it.

This is your opinion. You don't have to figure out 'why' other people don't like it, they have already told you. But you fail to hear them. Or you wouldn't have made this thread by saying:' honestly I cannot figure out why.'

If I say I want a hamburger and you bring me a chicken sandwhich and I say it's not good, you are going to stand there and tell me, 'I can't figure out why?' C'mon. People have the right to Not Like This Game, as much as You Like it. I don't know why you guys are so desperate for everyone to love it. You will still have your TS4 forum and your happy threads, but maybe with less people to join in the happy threads, but you will still have the happy threads. This game is new. When the New Wears Off, We will See How People Feel. It's like a new toy, it's shiny, that shiny will wear off after a few months then come back and express what you feel then, with no hope of an EP or something and tell me you can't figure out why there is a lot of hate. I don't hate the game, I don't like the art style, do you like Van Gogh? do you enjoy all painters' works? I don't. I particularly can't stand impressionist.

Hm, there's a thought.

ETA: No, TS3 doesn't take years to load or render objects etc. I have a 3.2ghz processors and it only takes a few seconds, the lag is due to every world EA/Maxis/The Sims Studio produced has errors. If you want a smoother game in that regard you ditch EA's worlds and download those same worlds Fixed by Modders. It's still the same people bringing you TS4. I used to blame everything on open world until I wised up.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Let's face it TS4 has been getting A LOT of hatred. And honestly I cannot figure out why. I'm pretty sure we all know "the list" but thing is that not even 20 things on that list were listed in the TS3 base game. But look at the CAS they're giving us. It's amazing, so is building houses. People are always crying about everything that TS4 lacks but fail to see everything it offers. Sure pools I will miss, but I never particularly enjoyed toddlers. Or any life stage other than young adult. Sure this may just be me, but the difference is small. Let us not forget that it already is a 9GB game, how much can they possibly fit in? The graphics are pretty fun imo, more cartoonish and what-not. The Sims 4 doesn't exactly lack open world. It's more like open neighbourhood. Like in the console versions of TS3. Sure you may ask "Is that a good thing?". Well yes it quite is! The facts are real, not everyone has a 9K$ worth Alienware to play TS3 with no lag at all. The 10-30 seconds loading screens provide us with fully charged neighbourhoods, as opposed to the Sims 3, where even though you had open world you could only focus at one lot at a time and objects took years to load. <br />

This is your opinion. You don't have to figure out 'why' other people don't like it, they have already told you. But you fail to hear them. Or you wouldn't have made this thread by saying:' honestly I cannot figure out why.'

If I say I want a hamburger and you bring me a chicken sandwhich and I say it's not good, you are going to stand there and tell me, 'I can't figure out why?' C'mon. People have the right to Not Like This Game, as much as You Like it. I don't know why you guys are so desperate for everyone to love it. You will still have your TS4 forum and your happy threads, but maybe with less people to join in the happy threads, but you will still have the happy threads. This game is new. When the New Wears Off, We will See How People Feel. It's like a new toy, it's shiny, that shiny will wear off after a few months then come back and express what you feel then, with no hope of an EP or something and tell me you can't figure out why there is a lot of hate. I don't hate the game, I don't like the art style, do you like Van Gogh? do you enjoy all painters' works? I don't. I particularly can't stand impressionist.

Hm, there's a thought.
    Excuse me but I clearly stated the thread as my Opinion. I'm not judging others, just saying my opinion.

• Options
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    In order to play TS4 you will need to register the key to Origin (to activate it). A single key cannot be registered to multiple Origin accounts. The game will NOT be one that is rentable because of this.

Oh I should tell the video club not to, it'd be real unfair if they lost 60$ like that.
  • Options
    Sims 4 will definitely run a lot better. My laptop could handle TS3 on High (NOT MAX) with no edge smoothing. I ran the demo on MAX with edge smoothing and advanced rendering on and blah blah blah, 60 FPS.

The CAS isn't the game. It's far from it. The game is what I would be concerned about and made sure I was beyond the min. system specs required. And Origin is going to run in the background whether you are online/offline or logged out or in. Test that with the demo. Even close Origin's app, it will run in the background and it eats memory even when closed.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options

Hm, there's a thought.
    Excuse me but I clearly stated the thread as my Opinion. I'm not judging others, just saying my opinion.

You are stating what you like but then saying you can't figure out all the hate, and that people should try this game. That's not opinion, that's another thread telling people to 'try it' and get over what's missing because you think the art style is great, that toddlers don't matter to you al that much, your machine is bad for the TS3, etc. etc. Yes, you said it's your opinion but you are still expressing the question: Why all the Hate? Why don't people like it? You are stating what you think is why people 'should' like it. That's telling people how to feel.

• Options
    @Cinebar, Origin only uses like 95 MB of memory though. If you are so tight on memory that this makes a difference the game isn't going to run well either way.

In other words, it's not a big deal that Origin will be running in the background, it is very low in terms of memory usage.

I also imagine that if you are not actively using the Origin in game features at all that it would get cached to the windows cache file and not be held in RAM...because...that's the whole reason for the windows cache file.
  • Options
    jayisricejayisrice Posts: 194 Member
    How do you know ? you haven't played it yet . your opinion is bias.
  • Options
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    @Cinebar, Origin only uses like 95 MB of memory though. If you are so tight on memory that this makes a difference the game isn't going to run well either way.

In other words, it's not a big deal that Origin will be running in the background, it is very low in terms of memory usage.

I also imagine that if you are not actively using the Origin in game features at all that it would get cached to the windows cache file and not be held in RAM...because...that's the whole reason for the windows cache file.

I disagree. I will let you know how big it is on my machine later today or something. And even though it is closed I can still upload Sims to the Gallery. How is that possible? I can click Go Off Line for the Origin in the tray, and even close it, and still go online in the CAS. Shouldn't my CAS be offline, too? Also, when I minimize the CAS and open a browser for a minute (some do to look at celeb pics to make their celeb Sims) the PC is so slow I can't even hardly open the browser and get a web page to load. I have checked what was running in background and it was still Origin, using RAM whether it is minimized, closed, offline, or whatever as long as the CAS is loaded and it even minimized. Both are using RAM even while minimized or Origin closed and offline.

But I shouldn't have been able to get online and upload with Origin's app closed should I? Even marked it to go offline before exiting the Origin.
    So, is the game really offline?

• Options
    neonhorn22neonhorn22 Posts: 132 Member
    edited August 2014
    I'm a huge fan of the sims. I've been playing it since 2000 when Sims 1 was officially released. *reminiscent sigh* I was in college. :) Oh, the days I wasted playing that game...the homework that never got done because I was playing that game. hehe.

But, I've always tried to give each game a chance. I loved Sims 1, loved Sims 2, wasn't crazy about Sims 3 and knew I wouldn't play it (but I still bought the base game and played, just to be sure it wasn't for me.) And, I'm encouraged by the gameplay and aesthetics of this iteration that not only will I purchase the base game and play it, but I'm sure I might buy EPs, too. I'm just glad that EA scrapped the online concept and retooled the game for single player!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    @Cinebar, don't look at the install size on the drive. That is irrelevant. Look at the memory usage in task manager. It runs at a pretty consistent 74 to 95 MB when in the background (not actively being used).

In terms of overall memory Usage the memory used for Origin is negligible. And Origin, unlike Steam, doesn't load the web stuff unless you are USING the web stuff.
    Post edited by Stormkeep on
  • Options

Hm, there's a thought.

You are stating what you like but then saying you can't figure out all the hate, and that people should try this game. That's not opinion, that's another thread telling people to 'try it' and get over what's missing because you think the art style is great, that toddlers don't matter to you al that much, your machine is bad for the TS3, etc. etc. Yes, you said it's your opinion but you are still expressing the question: Why all the Hate? Why don't people like it? You are stating what you think is why people 'should' like it. That's telling people how to feel.
    Please do not be stupid, you're angering me, basically accusing me for bossing around people. "I don't get why all the hatred" IS my opinion about why people hate it.

• Options
    edited August 2014

Hm, there's a thought.

Please do not be stupid, you're angering me, basically accusing me for bossing around people. "I don't get why all the hatred" IS my opinion about why people hate it.

I'm not stupid as a matter of fact I am very perceptive. You are saying you don't understand why people don't like this game. What is there to understand? Then went into your long laundry list of why they 'should' like this game. All you had to do was give reasons you like the game without ever mentioning toddlers, or why the hate, or that people should give this game a chance etc. etc. See there is a difference and I think you knew you would have some coming in telling you they are tired of these threads as well.

ETA: and if you really wanted to make a happy thread of what is good about the TS4 to you, you wouldn't have put why the TS4 won't suck in your title. You invited in the those who are tired of people telling them to Like This Game.
  • Options

Hm, there's a thought.

I'm not stupid as a matter of fact I am very perceptive. You are saying you don't understand why people don't like this game. What is there to understand? Then went into your long laundry list of why they 'should' like this game. All you had to do was give reasons you like the game without ever mentioning toddlers, or why the hate, or that people should give this game a chance etc. etc. See there is a difference and I think you knew you would have some coming in telling you they are tired of these threads as well.

I only said why I think the game doesn't suck, I never said "Hey people, here's good stuff about TS4 now go start lovin' it." The title specifically says "Why in my -OPINION- TS4 doesn't suck" and I chose that very title just to avoid conversations like this.