Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• Options
    popettypop2012popettypop2012 Posts: 1,318 Member
    I have uploaded my entry and finished taking pictures but the slideshow is driving me insane. I've spent more than half an hour trying to sort out the pictures but it doesn't seem to work. The photos have a mind of their own!
  • Options
    CHALLENGE #: 51 - When Modern Was New
    FORUM ID: popettypop2012
    ORIGIN ID: popettypop2012
    LEVEL: Established
    LOT: Mid Century Modern
    LINK: https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/9669517E6CAD11E68565B8037B7966C5?category=lots&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=popettypop2012&max=50&maxis=false
    LOT COST: §2,500
    BUILD COST: §100,890
    TOTAL COST: §,103490
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW:http://s373.photobucket.com/user/cillaben/slideshow/Mid Century Modern
    PICTURES:
    08-28-16_84421nbspAM_zpsw5yxdjss.png08-28-16_90735nbspAM_zpsd8uavyxy.png

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM : YES, PLEASE
  • Options
    StSciurusStSciurus Posts: 1,580 Member
    I have uploaded my entry and finished taking pictures but the slideshow is driving me insane. I've spent more than half an hour trying to sort out the pictures but it doesn't seem to work. The photos have a mind of their own!

First of all, beautiful entry, @popettypop2012 ! :smiley: As for sorting pictures in Photobucket, I have found that if I title the pictures with numbers in sequence (like: 1. Exterior front. 2. Exterior side. 3. Front door) then I can sort them by title and they stay in the order I want them to be. I think the default sort order in Photobucket is by upload order and that is hard to get around otherwise.
  • Options
    bouquetcatcherbouquetcatcher Posts: 1,355 Member
    @BuildnShare

OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM

FORUM ID: bouquetcatcher
    ORIGIN ID: bouquetcatcher
    LEVEL: Expert
    LOT: https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/D9F9C1056EC011E68AD05E099554D7E7?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=Bouquetcatcher&max=50&maxis=false
    BUILD COST: §102,468
    TOTAL COST: §104,468
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bouquetcatcher/albums/72157669983866224/with/28716765344/
    Please note: Flickr puts descriptions beneath the picture in slideshow mode, under my username. Or in the main link, rolling over the pics shows the title.
    ENTRY DETAILS: With 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, study, gym and open concept living, this lovely home is perfect for a growing family. Built in the style of midcentury modern architecture with natural woods and stone, there are bright colors and plenty of fresh flowers for Clotilde spread throughout. Fleur's rooms is bright lime green and very "spacey" - and absolutely NO pink or purple :). Thierry's study is warm and inviting, with his coveted leather couch perfect for dreaming up new novels. The backyard is a lovely space for entertainment or fun family evenings. With flower and vegetable gardens for Thierry and Clotilde and a space-age playground for Fleur and her friends, this gorgeously landscaped yard is made for enjoyment.

img29339960205_4c4b988695_c.jpg

Bonus: Sim (family) Entry!

SIM: https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/3A7B6C216EBE11E685405E099554D7E7?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=Bouquetcatcher&max=50&maxis=false
    SIM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bouquetcatcher/albums/72157669996594043
    Please note: Flickr puts descriptions beneath the picture in slideshow mode, under my username. Or in the main link, rolling over the pics shows the title.
    ENTRY DETAILS: The Leclercq family - Thierry, Clotilde and Fleur. Dashing, distinguished Thierry is a best-selling science author with a love of home and gardening; sophisticated Clotilde is a successful surgeon at Newcrest General with a passion for flowers; bright and happy Fleur is quite the social butterfly - but she does NOT like pink!

28719542333_566a4ce223_c.jpg

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: none
    16975504789_dfde933ce1_o.jpg
  • Options
    @StSciurus Thank you so much. I will definitely try numbering my pictures next time.
  • Options
    @kerplukee - I love your mix of stone and wood! I also love that pool/fountain out front. You've done a great job with the shape of the house - very creative angles!

@masajo - your curb appeal is picture perfect! The covered play area out back is so cool. LOVE Fleur's bedroom - where is the bed from? The whole house is serene and fresh, great neutrals. Wonderful job!

@StSciurus I agree - fabulous job on the angled house! Looks effortless. Great layout, and love the playhouse out back! Really good midcentury vibe throughout.

@emere - I really like your house design, especially the little second story and the chimney. Love all the colors throughout! I think the dining room is my favorite! I played with mixing chair colors too and couldn't quite get it to work for me, really great job! I giggled at the puppet theater room - so great!!

@gmcrozier - love love love the color schemes! That Asian-influences front walkway is so good. Great use of space in every room!

@popettypop2012 I ADORE your house. The curb appeal is SO lovely! (I just noticed we used the same tree in the same place in our front yards, lol! Great minds!) I love all the artwork you've chosen, and Fleur's room is so cute!

Really good entries for this challenge, it was a fun one!
  • Options
    StSciurusStSciurus Posts: 1,580 Member
    I have to agree, @bouquetcatcher , fantastic entries all around including yours! :smiley: I swear Robert Young of the mid-century TV show, Father Know's Best is going to walk right through your front door! But I like your Sim family even more!
  • Options
    Rostri-JoduRostri-Jodu Posts: 718 Member
    FORUM ID: Rostri-Jodu
    ORIGIN ID: rostrijodu
    LEVEL: Established
    LOT: Mi Manoir du Siècle (aka Mid Century Manor)
    BUILD COST: §102,498
    TOTAL COST: §104,998
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW
    ENTRY DETAILS: A split-level, mid century modern home with three bedrooms and two and a half baths. It also features a sleek home office, several spots, both inside and out, for a youth to play the day away, as well as a lovely garden and greenhouse combo for that outdoor lover in us all!

SIM: The Leclercq Family
    SIM ENTRY SLIDESHOW
    ENTRY DETAILS: Thierry is not only a bestselling author and bookworm, but a family-oriented father and husband who just happens to be a relentless snob. His wife, Clotilde, wants nothing but the best for them, as well as all of their heirs yet to come; however, her jealous ways may be her undoing. Thankfully, she's a genius and a lover of nature, so hopefully she can focus on enriching the world around her instead of destroying it...or herself. As for their daughter, Fleur, she's both a social butterfly and a geek, who longs to take flight into the great unknown, although, she does have a way with words too, just like her dear old dad. So maybe she'll become a famous sci-fi or fantasy writer instead!

ROOM: N/A
    ROOM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: N/A
    ENTRY DETAILS: N/A

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Sure!
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: N/A

SPACE FOR PICTURES:

gxdom84.png

K7Eu4uf.png
  • Options
    BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    Wow - some really great entries this time around! But that's the close of challenge #51. Much luck to all who entered!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    #52 - Uptown Elegance

You step into Echelon Bistro, the cool air welcoming you in from the humid evening outside. The Maître D’ greets you, asking for your reservation.

“I’m meeting with clients. The name is Hewes-Kessler.”

“Ah,” he says with a wink and a knowing smile. “Right this way.” He leads you through the restaurant, winding among white-clothed tables, soft lights, and the gentle clinking of glasses. At the rear of the restaurant, he opens a private door, ushering you into a small, but beautiful dining room with a table set for two. At the table is a pale, slight gentleman with salt-and-pepper hair and thick black glasses in a suit with a cheeky checked bowtie. The gentleman rises when he sees you, offering his hand.

“Jonah Hewes-Kessler, pleased to make your acquaintance.”

“A pleasure,” you say. “Where is the other Mr. Hewes-Kessler? I thought the three of us were meeting this evening.”

“Oh, Oliver will be along in a bit. Please,” Jonah gestures for you to be seated. “Why don’t we enjoy a nice meal first before we get to all of the details.”

You and Jonah chat over plates of crisp autumn salad, steaming bowls of porcini risotto, and the most succulent lobster thermidore you’ve ever tasted. He tells you about his career as a journalist, and how he met Oliver after writing a less than stellar review about Oliver’s bouillabaisse.

“He was so incensed by my review that he actually showed up at Doo Peas Corporate Tower with a new batch of bouillabaisse and a bottle of aged nectar, giving me an impassioned speech about how important it is to drink the proper nectar for a specific dish.” Jonah smiles wryly. “He turned out to be right. The bouillabaisse was delicious with the nectar he chose. I found his cooking enchanting, and his conversation even more so. I’ve been addicted to both ever since.”

As you wait for your baked angel food cake to arrive, he passes you a small photograph from his wallet.

“This is Sophia, our daughter. Oliver and I waited a long time for a child of our own. Finding the right adoption agency and then waiting to be chosen has been quite a difficult process, but we are finally bringing home our baby girl in a month’s time.”

“That’s wonderful!” you exclaim, taking in the beautiful dark-skinned infant with long lashes and tiny wisps of dark curls beneath a pink bow. “She’s perfect. You must be so overjoyed.”

Plates of heavenly smelling angel food cake appear in front of you and a deep voice behind you says, “We are.” You turn to see a large man with coffee-colored eyes and short dark hair, his white chef’s uniform contrasting against his dark skin. He flashes you a brilliant smile and says, “Oliver Hewes-Kessler, owner and executive chef of Echelon Bistro, pleased to meet you.”

“It’s lovely to make your acquaintance. The food here is superb -- you have quite a gift!”

“I’m glad you enjoyed it,” Oliver says, as wait staff appears out of nowhere with an additional chair and place setting for him to join you and Jonah. He motions to one of the wait staff who pours a sweet, sparkling nectar into your glasses. “You must have the proper nectar with your dessert. It makes all the difference!” Jonah catches your eye and you both laugh.

“So, I assume this precious little bundle, Sophia, is the impetus for your new home. Tell me about what you envision for your new family of three.”

“We’d like a modestly sized lot with a townhouse or a brownstone, with a gourmet kitchen and formal living and dining spaces,” Oliver begins.

“Oliver does love to have friends over to try out his latest culinary creations,” Jonah adds.

“The home should be multiple levels, with the bedrooms upstairs, separate from the other living areas. We need a bedroom with an en-suite bathroom, and an additional nursery with its own bath. It should be large enough for Sophia to grow into later,” Oliver continues. “We will also need a garden or basement apartment with a separate entrance.”

“Oh, will you be renting?” you ask.

“More like bartering,” Jonah says. “We know a young college student who needs a place to stay while she goes to night school for her teaching degree. We agreed to give Nell lodging in exchange for helping us take care of Sophia since we both have careers that can be demanding at times.”

“What sort of interior style are you looking for?”

“For the main house,” Oliver says, “we’d like it to be elegant and tasteful, but not too traditional. Sort of...understated elegance. For Nell’s garden apartment, however, it should be bright and young and fun. She’s a vibrant young lady, so the space should reflect that.”

“All right. Any other requests or must-haves?”

“A small outdoor area would be great, if you could squeeze that in,” says Jonah. “Something with a bit of greenery and a patio table where we could drink coffee and let Sophia play.”

“That sounds manageable. What sort of budget will I have to work with?”

“We have $120,000 for this project.” Oliver says.

“That is a generous budget. I’m sure my team and I can come up with something that you will love...just as soon as this food coma wears off!”

The Brief:
    20x15 lot
    $120K budget
    Multi-level townhouse/brownstone
    Casual, understated elegant decor
    Gourmet kitchen
    Formal living and dining spaces
    2 bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms, on separate level from main living area
    Garden/basement-level apartment for the nanny
    - Sleeping area
    - Bathroom
    - Efficiency kitchen
    - Small dining and living areas
    - Separate entrance
    - Bright, youthful decor for a college student
    Small private outdoor patio area
    If you include laundry facilities, the garden/basement apartment should have its own laundry

Optional Challenge:
    Create the Hewes-Kesslers and their live-in nanny, Nell Pasternak. Jonah wants to be a best selling author, is a bookworm, outgoing, and a perfectionist. Oliver wants to be a master chef, is a foodie, outgoing, and romantic. Sophia is an outgoing genius who aspires to be a whiz kid. Nell is outgoing, active, and cheerful. She aspires to be a renaissance sim. Show them living in the space you created.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    WiggleyTuffWiggleyTuff Posts: 600 Member
    Id love to enroll this challenge but im not quite sure what casual,understated elegance is like nor do i know what townhouse is. Anyone kind enough to help me out?
  • Options
    Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    edited September 2016
    @WiggleyTuff - try googling the phrases, and look at the images that are returned! That's what I always do when I'm not 100% sure on a style. For example, here is what comes back when I googled interior design understated elegance: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=interior+design+understated+elegance&espv=2&biw=1270&bih=1294&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjHutCyje7OAhWDchQKHaPBAEEQsAQIGw
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
  • Options
    A townhouse is a smallish two (or more) story house, often connected to other units - like in condos or row houses.
  • Options
    ATTENTION EXPERT ENTRANTS FOR CHALLENGE 51 - WHEN MODERN WAS NEW

Your results are now available here.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    Im not entirely sure but thanks guys, ill give it a try
  • Options
    lisa17annlisa17ann Posts: 2,749 Member
    It's like a terraced house @WiggleyTuff they are normally right next to each other but I think for this challenge your just building the one. Not a whole row of them.
    34921575804_8da1fd7db6_z.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Try this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Townhouse

I actually live in a townhouse - I'm in a condo, four units in my building, we're two stories. The house is only one room wide, so you walk in to the entry/hall/stairs, kitchen to the left, living/dining room straight ahead then that's the end of the house. Two bedrooms upstairs, one at front of house one at back. So typically, they are narrow but deep. Some other units in my neighborhood are ranches or carriage houses. So, there will be a ranch (one story) on the bottom with a carriage house above (also one story, but called carriage not ranch since it's not on the ground floor). the other two units in those building are townhouses like mine. Hope that helps some!
  • Options
    gmcroziergmcrozier Posts: 1,078 Member
    This may also help https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraced_house

I put in row houses and it redirected me to terrace house. If you scroll down there are several photos showing examples. I personally am trying to create a Brownstone.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Well, I still have two floors to go , and I'm already 10k over budget :disappointed: But here's a pic of my extrerior, I'm loving it!!

09-04-16_11-33-38nbspAM_zpsi628pxnt.png~original
  • Options
    Well, I still have two floors to go , and I'm already 10k over budget :disappointed: But here's a pic of my extrerior, I'm loving it!!

09-04-16_11-33-38nbspAM_zpsi628pxnt.png~original

It looks really pretty :)
  • Options
    Thanks @WiggleyTuff :blush:
  • Options
    lisa17annlisa17ann Posts: 2,749 Member
    Ooo it's beautiful @FaithofKaela I love it! I've finished mine just have to take all the pictures now. I could have gone way over budget and normally do...I hope ive done it right lol
    34921575804_8da1fd7db6_z.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2016
    lisa17ann wrote: »
    Ooo it's beautiful @FaithofKaela I love it! I've finished mine just have to take all the pictures now. I could have gone way over budget and normally do...I hope ive done it right lol
    I'm sure you'll have done fine @lisa17ann. Looking forward to seeing what you've created!

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Well, I've uploaded my finished build to the gallery, but I'm not entering it into the challenge, I'm WAY over budget and I feel it would totally spoil the home if I tried to remove bits and pieces. You can find it here.
  • Options
    gmcroziergmcrozier Posts: 1,078 Member
    edited September 2016
    Since we are sharing... here is a look at my Brownstone shell. I still have a lot to do on the interior.

09-04-16_10-07-27nbspAM_zpsps2ednwj.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top