Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Granthes's Color Magic: Tool for creating recolors in the TS4 demo

Srikandi715Srikandi715 Posts: 1,753 Member
Download Color Magic here: http://sims4.the-prof.net/?p=265

60239_140812014851Screenshot%202014-08-11%2022.48.10.png

This is a CC creation tool that allows you to select a CAS Part (clothing, hair etc) by name from the TS4 demo, select a swatch for it, and create a package file. Having done that, you can open the package in S4PE (a general TS4 modding tool by Kuree) and export the texture from the package to the DDS format. You can then modify the texture in an image editor and re-import it into your package; the package can be placed in the demo's mods folder, and it will show up in your game.

Note that CC on sims uploaded to the Gallery will show up on the thumbnail, but will not download with the sim; the CC item will be missing.

Grant's been having power outages AND Internet outages off and on all day today... so I'm just posting some info about his tool to help get this new forum underway :) There are still unknowns in the file formats and technical issues being worked out, but already a large number of recolors have been produced using this tool. (You can find some examples here http://sims4.the-prof.net/?topic=recolor-successes-and-failures ; they're all over the Simsverse by now though.)

To produce a recolor, you'll need that, S4PE, and an image editor that can open and save DDS files (like Photoshop or Gimp, or alternatively Zerbu's Caster tool).

Some more useful links:

S4PE (by Kuree et al) can be found here: https://github.com/Sims4Group/Sims4Tools/releases
Instructions for Color Magic are here: http://sims4.the-prof.net/?topic=color-magic-v-8314-instructions
There's an in-depth tutorial on TS4 recoloring (using Photoshop and an earlier version of CM) here: http://www.platinumsimmers.com/articles/simple-retexturing-for-the-sims-4/
Zerbu's Caster (tiles a pattern over a texture in a manner similar to TS3's CaST; requires CM and S4PE): http://zerbu.tumblr.com/post/93595004787/caster-create-a-style-for-the-sims-4-new-version

Happy recoloring, everyone :)
Post edited by Srikandi715 on

Comments

• Options
    MadameButterflyMadameButterfly Posts: 116 Member
    It looks like so much fun! I really like your floral pencil skirts.

I hope Grant's power & internet quits being a jerk soon.
  • Options
    ANNIEOVERANNIEOVER Posts: 2,014 Member
    This is really amazing! Thank you so much for this :D
  • Options
    granthesgranthes Posts: 93 Member
    It looks like so much fun! I really like your floral pencil skirts.

I hope Grant's power & internet quits being a jerk soon.

Me Too! :smile:
    Grant (granthes)
    Developer of Sims 4 Modding Tools -- Sims 4 Stuff n Things
  • Options
    Ragdoll-RuneRagdoll-Rune Posts: 27 New Member
    Perfect! Thank you!!
  • Options
    lotlot80lotlot80 Posts: 758 Member
    Thank you.

♥♥---->>> Please Leave A Comment On My NEW Builds Thread !! --- I'd Really Appreciate It. <<<----♥♥

I need to make about a billion more things using this. Only two tee-shirts so far... which I need to make male versions of. I need to figure out the swatches thing (the person who made SimsVIP shirts got custom swatches to work but I had no luck with the files) and get used to using gimp since that's the only editor I have on my pc side that'll open DDS files.
    HSon1Mq.png
  • Options
    petalbotpetalbot Posts: 1,423 Member
    Thank you for making such a tool. I look forward to trying it out.
    sigg.gif

• Options
    QuelsimmyQuelsimmy Posts: 531 Member
    Thanks a lot! I just made my first piece of custom content with this :D
  • Options
    3PupDLS3PupDLS Posts: 882 Member
    I am going to try my hand at making some recolors. I have a couple stupid questions first though. Will paint work with this tool? If not and I download gimp, what plug ins would I need?
  • Options
    MyreMylarMyreMylar Posts: 80 Member
    edited August 2014
    > @LauriApp said:
    > I am going to try my hand at making some recolors. I have a couple stupid questions first though. Will paint work with this tool? If not and I download gimp, what plug ins would I need?

You will have trouble with paint as you need a way to open .dds files. Gimp 2 will work but you'll need to grab the DDS plugin. This popular tutorial has links for everything:

https ://www.platinumsimmers.com/articles/simple-retexturing-for-the-sims-4/ (delete the space after https to make the link work)
  • Options
    3PupDLS3PupDLS Posts: 882 Member
    Thanks for you help @MyreMylar!
  • Options
    midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    I've always wanted to try and create CC, so I'll try and learn how to do it, thanks for the link. :smile:
  • Options
    MomGinnyMomGinny Posts: 311 Member
    Color Magic is a great tool! Thanks so much for making it and keeping it updated for us.
    My Sims || My CC Creations || My Simblr || OID: MomGinny
  • Options
    AshkevronAshkevron Posts: 579 Member
    Is the gallery going to have different areas, like one for sims, one for lots, and one for clothing? Is this where we will now get our CC, from the gallery?
  • Options
    Shimrod101Shimrod101 Posts: 304 Member
    As it stands now the Gallery will have sims, houses, and rooms. CC clothing and other future CC won't be in the Gallery but on private websites or blogs or tumblr's or wherever people upload their items.
  • Options
    PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    edited August 2014
    LauriApp wrote: »
    I am going to try my hand at making some recolors. I have a couple stupid questions first though. Will paint work with this tool? If not and I download gimp, what plug ins would I need?
    The link for the DDS plugin from the Platinum Sims article is wrong if you have a 64-bit computer. It only links to the 32-bit version of the plugin. Here's a better link to the DDS plugins for GIMP: https://code.google.com/p/gimp-dds/downloads/list

I believe you need both the source code (tar.bz2) and the 64-bit file (or the 32-bit if you have a 32-bit computer).

To install the plugin in GIMP, place both files in the following location: Computer/Local Disk (C:)/Program Files/Gimp 2/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins.

• Options
    zosiahzosiah Posts: 13 New Member
    Everytime I open up my CC, the CAS Demo crashes. It was working fine earlier this morning, and I'm doing everything like I normally do. Anyone know why thats happening now?
  • Options
    simfeetundersimfeetunder Posts: 2,260 Member
    zosiah wrote: »
    Everytime I open up my CC, the CAS Demo crashes. It was working fine earlier this morning, and I'm doing everything like I normally do. Anyone know why thats happening now?

Did you do the thing where you change the name inside ctrl + f in s4pe?
    HSon1Mq.png
  • Options
    AshkevronAshkevron Posts: 579 Member
    You get such interesting stuff from CC but I fear it now....CC killed my Sims 3 games way too often I eventually gave up on CC. I used to love in Sims 3 being able to find kilts for my male sims as well as "club gear"....leather straps and such. But not sure I will want to take the chance in Sims 4 with CC...just not sure I could ever really trust it not to mess up the game.
  • Options
    CinematographCinematograph Posts: 31 Member
    edited August 2014
    I've been using this tool for the last several days and it's made custom content so much easier and less time consuming and overall simply more fun. When I make something and I put it on the gallery, I use the description to make it clear that they will need to visit the site where the cc item is available. :) I used a tinyurl site to link directly to the downloadable location, and I plan to do this for future posts to save confusion.
  • Options
    Ashkevron wrote: »
    You get such interesting stuff from CC but I fear it now....CC killed my Sims 3 games way too often I eventually gave up on CC. I used to love in Sims 3 being able to find kilts for my male sims as well as "club gear"....leather straps and such. But not sure I will want to take the chance in Sims 4 with CC...just not sure I could ever really trust it not to mess up the game.

Why post in a CC making program's thread that you don't trust cc? Posting in the mods section in general would be one thing but I really don't understand why you'd come into a post about people making things and go "nope, it's awful, I won't allow it in my game"...
    I think most of the issues with cc before is that we would download too much of it and clog the game and also that it could be hard to make sure you only got the cc you actually wanted (or like, download something from the exchange that didn't say anything about cc but was full of it).
    I didn't use cc in Sims3 after my game started misbehaving more and more but I plan to use it in this game, am creating some and plan to get some of others as well.
    HSon1Mq.png
  • Options
    @Srikandi715 or @granthes Should we be saving a new package out of Color Magic for every item we make? I feel like an idiot because I was saving one (let's say the plain black t-shirt) as a base and then editing it into two different shirts in s4pe/photoshop and I'm thinking I shouldn't be doing it that way.
    Like... I did that and did two versions of a maxi dress both using the same base dress saved from CM and when I have them both in the game they both appear as the same (first version) dress even though their swatches are correct.
    HSon1Mq.png
  • Options
    granthesgranthes Posts: 93 Member
    @Srikandi715 or @granthes Should we be saving a new package out of Color Magic for every item we make? I feel like an idiot because I was saving one (let's say the plain black t-shirt) as a base and then editing it into two different shirts in s4pe/photoshop and I'm thinking I shouldn't be doing it that way.
    Like... I did that and did two versions of a maxi dress both using the same base dress saved from CM and when I have them both in the game they both appear as the same (first version) dress even though their swatches are correct.

You need to re-run Color Magic for every new item you make. Just renaming the file and using it for a second recolor won't work. There are names / indexes that have to be recalculated for each one that Color Magic does for you.
    Grant (granthes)
    Developer of Sims 4 Modding Tools -- Sims 4 Stuff n Things
  • Options
    granthes wrote: »
    You need to re-run Color Magic for every new item you make. Just renaming the file and using it for a second recolor won't work. There are names / indexes that have to be recalculated for each one that Color Magic does for you.
    Thanks for the quick response! Ok, I'll do that, it makes sense I just... didn't think of it for some reason.
    HSon1Mq.png
  • Options
    Srikandi715Srikandi715 Posts: 1,753 Member
    edited August 2014
    Thanks for the quick response! Ok, I'll do that, it makes sense I just... didn't think of it for some reason.

And that is why the name you give your item in CM has to be UNIQUE, by the way. That name is used to calculate the item's internal index. So even different recolors of the same item all have to be named differently. And be sure to use your name in front to avoid clashing with other modders' recolors of the same thing :)