Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS3 vs TS4: Launch Comparison

Out of curiosity I started watching the old Sims 3 trailers to see what features they were pushing I also started thinking of some of the main problems I had with TS3.
I'd be really interested in hearing what the rest of you have noticed. Does anyone remember what some of the biggest complaints were with TS3 launch?

Trailers
TS3- open world, involvement with the neighborhood, "bringing the characters to life", limitless customization, new traits/personalities, online connection
TS4- emotions! :roll: , intuitive building and create a sim modes, online connection

Problems
TS3-a few glitches, pudding faces, lack of ability to change households easily
TS4- loss of many features (no customization and the small world size being my biggest issues)

Here are some of the videos I watched:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6gXiw5URNM&list=PLD8AF08EBDBE4E876&index=22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuOBaZxnfwQ&list=PLD8AF08EBDBE4E876&index=19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7BAUNzJvts

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    edited August 2014
    I didn't really keep up with the sims 3 news and stuff, so idk what release date was like. But I imagine it wasn't as much of a madhouse as the release day for the sims 4 will be.
  • Options
    KiasorousKiasorous Posts: 15
    edited August 2014
    AstroX1424 wrote:
    I didn't really keep up with the sims 3 news and stuff, so idk what release date was like. But I imagine it wasn't as much of a madhouse as the release day for the sims 4 will be.

Agreed. :) The only negative thing I remember from TS3 launch was a lot of people didn't like the rabbit holes.
  • Options
    SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member
    edited August 2014
    The store was a huge complaint during the TS3 launch. There was a limited store toward the end of TS2 and people hated it, but when TS3 came around there were simmers predicting that EA would end up pulling items out of expansions to sell at a higher price at their store.

I think we all know what happened with that.

Many people also hated the art style and compared the Sims to pudding faces that would all end up looking the same.

That kind of happened. It's all really in the eye of the beholder.

There was concern that simmers wouldn't be able to create their own neighborhoods and play multiple families due to the open world/story progression.

That is somewhat true. It's possible in TS3, but it definitely isn't optimal. I would say those complaints were right on target, others would disagree and say they modded their way around the limitations.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    On release day I imagine this forum blowing up with complaints...
  • Options
    justin5812justin5812 Posts: 632 Member
    edited August 2014
    I remember A LOT of people (including myself) who didn't like TS3 at first and went back to the Sims 2 because families seemed more like families in the TS2. They've done a great job with TS3 since then obviously.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    justin5812 wrote:
    I remember A LOT of people (including myself) who didn't like TS3 at first and went back to the Sims 2 because families seemed more like families in the TS2. They've done a great job with TS3 since then obviously.

Agreed. But TS4... well I guess we'll see how this plays out.
  • Options
    SummerskydreamerSummerskydreamer Posts: 1,681 Member
    edited August 2014
    I admit i never have seen those trailers the only time i was hooked on sims3 was when pets came out. but comparing both sims3 trailers to me are way better than the sims4 ones.I just can see now all the complaints that will be coming on here even more then than they are now.
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    edited August 2014
    There were loads of complaints about TS3 both before its release and immediately afterwards. Before release, people constantly complained about the pudding faces, about story progression and EA forcing you to play just one family (we were all used to micro-managing families with TS2). There were also (fewer) complaints about the UI, about the RPG elements of the game, etc. Many simmers swore they would stick to TS2 forever.
    After release, people complaint about saving error 12, about glitches and their computers not being able to handle the game, about missing interactions (particularly, romantic interaction and family), etc.

Thinking about it, it was not much different than what's happening with TS4.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    edited August 2014
    QDog wrote:
    There were loads of complaints about TS3 both before its release and immediately afterwards. Before release, people constantly complained about the pudding faces, about story progression and EA forcing you to play just one family (we were all used to micro-managing families with TS2). There were also (fewer) complaints about the UI, about the RPG elements of the game, etc. Many simmers swore they would stick to TS2 forever.
    After release, people complaint about saving error 12, about glitches and their computers not being able to handle the game, about missing interactions (particularly, romantic interaction and family), etc.

You weren't forced to "play with one family" in The Sims 3. I never understand this complaint about the game. You simply had to "change active household" in Edit Town.
  • Options
    Jdavij20033Jdavij20033 Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited August 2014
    alan650111 wrote:
    You weren't forced to "play with one family" in The Sims 3. I never understand this complaint about the game. You simply had to "change active household" in Edit Town.

And lose all household members' wants and fears and story progression would take over and destroy your old household. Sims got divorced, toddlers and babies were killed off, jobs were lost....it wasn't exactly optimal.
    rifJadC.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    QDog wrote:

Thats why I started watching the trailers originally I knew there was backlash with TS3 I just don't remember if its of the same extent/magnitude as now.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited August 2014
    There was also the Story Progress not being able to turn off
    and
    The 4 speed didn't work- it was slower then 3 speed.

Besides families disappearing, family and friends, and then if we switched families they would or could be deleted by the not turned off SP.

It was not a nice or friendly place... kinda like TS4 section. The moderators started deleting and banning the ones who won't respect others opinions and it quieted down for a while (besides the occasional troll that will always pop up).

This site was not all rainbows and lollypops when TS3 was released. :lol;
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Kiasorous wrote:
    QDog wrote:

Thats why I started watching the trailers originally I knew there was backlash with TS3 I just don't remember if its of the same extent/magnitude as now.

As someone that vocally didn't like TS3 pre-launch and got chased off the official forums by many of the same people here today, I can tell you that in my experience, there is no comparison between TS3 and TS4 launches.

The biggest reason was that there was tons of information out there about TS3 that simmers could pour through months ahead of the launch. There was a massive marketing campaign in full effect - TV commercials and all - and the majority of TS2 players were so excited for an open world, something that had been on most people's wishlist since TS1, that they didn't care one bit what was being lost between TS2 and TS3. Heck, the majority of them were even arguing in favor of the store because they thought it meant that expansion/stuff packs would go away and we'd be able to pick out specific features instead of having to buy another Pets expansion pack.

Those of us that didn't like how TS3 looked, didn't buy it. Those that did buy it ended up flooding the forums with errors and disappointment. So all in all, it was a standard video game launch.

What I see right now, I've never seen in The Sims community. This site is tame compared to other sites that are full of players that hate everything they've seen from TS4. Launch day will be interesting.

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2014
    alan - you could only play one household at a time. People complained constantly and eventually they patched the dickens out of Sims 3 to allow us to play more than one household. The Guru's kept trying to tell us that while Sims 2 was all about family - Sims 3 was all about the world around the Sims. The base game made it clear we were not going to be able to rotate play like we could in Sims 1 and 2. You left your first family and lost all control and everything you had done with them went to pot.

I was furious when the first family i created the parents in CAS for hours trying to not getting them to look so pudding face. I stayed with this family - in fact still have it in my studio after I reached all their kids reaching teen age and higher I saved them to my studio.

It's a good thing. Because you want to know what the game thought of my 4 months of hard work on this family - at epic aging no less. The minute I went to play a family that held the son of the oldest daughters boyfriend - seeing you had to also play both households in order to get them to finally be able to get married. That was another problem they could be bff's but try and get the romance up to a level to ask to marry was like pulling wisdom tooth with sewing thread - so I needed to play that house. So I start building on the relationship as well as his skills and his families - and even though I have him dating her and her his steady by then - all of a sudden I see in the Sims newspaper the entire family had moved right out of Sunset Valley. Yep . I was beyond furious - but quit with out saving, so they were still in the game. Went back to the household - only to find out all kinds of stuff was missing - like I had been building the oldest girls furniture for when she'd get her own house - most of it was gone. All that was left was a few bookcases and odds and ends. All her aspirations were gone. Just everything in all 6 kids in the family was wiped. Their dad that was at the top of the Science career - was no longer at the the Science center - he had a part time job at the book store. All their fortune was reduced from over 200,000 down to under 30,000. It's no wonder the game moved them out. Oh and the best was the two teens still in school and who had perfect everything to do with school were not even mid level. They weren't failing - but darn near failing.

So while I am fixing all this - the game goes and marries my sims boyfriend to some other EA sims before she had even had a chance to be back in the game 2 days. How is that? The were going steady and almost engaged. Best yet his older sister who was happily married and had a new born - I read in the next days paper of the newborn being killed in a freak drowning accident. It's like HUH?

Not bad enough a day later her husband apparently gets an Reno divorce because he married Agnes Crumplebottom somehow the day after his baby girl died. Not good enough - the game just says the heck with that whole family and moves the parents and the one sibbling left at home out of the game.

How pray tell is that enjoyable when trying like heck to play a legacy style play in a game all about the world of the sims and not about the Sims lives at all?

Yes over time - it actually took until Generations to really make it possible to play more than one house hold anyway near decently - but never easy. Try sending your kids who have left the main household home again for a visit and they get threats of showing inappropiate behavior and getting thrown out of the house they were raised in because they went and tried to make the whole family some hotdogs.

That happened in my sims 3 game the last time I played it a few weeks ago. That is stupid and ridiculous and you wonder why many of us are looking very much forward to a better Sims series where the family matters.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited August 2014
    Although I started with sims 1 and then moved to sims 2, and then sims 3, I never came on the forum, did not even know they had one before the sims 3 game came out. I saw only the EA commercials of the new game.
    This is the first time that I have been on the forum when a new sims is being released and I am glad that I was not here for the others and so sorry that I came here for this one. It has been the worst experience of the Sims I have ever encountered. It has caused my whole thoughts on what the forum use to be to change. I will never start this again with Sims 5 reviews. I will bypass. I know that some have said that it was the same when sims 3 came out. So I am very glad I was not there.
    I come only to find info, But it is easy to get caught up in all this havoc. I am so glad that it will be off for a short time, it will be a rest.
    I do notice there are some very nice places to visit while this forum is updated. I am thankful for those who posted.

• Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited August 2014
    Writin_Reg wrote:

How pray tell is that enjoyable when trying like heck to play a legacy style play in a game all about the world of the sims and not about the Sims lives at all?

Yes over time - it actually took until Generations to really make it possible to play more than one house hold anyway near decently - but never easy. Try sending your kids who have left the main household home again for a visit and they get threats of showing inappropiate behavior and getting thrown out of the house they were raised in because they went and tried to make the whole family some hotdogs.

That happened in my sims 3 game the last time I played it a few weeks ago. That is stupid and ridiculous and you wonder why many of us are looking very much forward to a better Sims series where the family matters.

Well, you're clearly not getting that in The Sims 4, and as for The Sims 5...don't hold your breath. If there *is* a Sims 5, it'll probably be online.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2014
    I still wish they would remove all that in TS3. It is so freaking annoying. It is has always irked me my Sim can't use their neighbor's commode, sometimes not even at a party when the game invited my Sim. :roll: Let alone visiting family in the game.

All it would have took is one little patch. Sigh....

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2014
    Evalen wrote:
    Although I started with sims 1 and then moved to sims 2, and then sims 3, I never came on the forum, did not even know they had one before the sims 3 game came out. I saw only the EA commercials of the new game.
    This is the first time that I have been on the forum when a new sims is being released and I am glad that I was not here for the others and so sorry that I came here for this one. It has been the worst experience of the Sims I have ever encountered. It has caused my whole thoughts on what the forum use to be to change. I will never start this again with Sims 5 reviews. I will bypass. I know that some have said that it was the same when sims 3 came out. So I am very glad I was not there.
    I come only to find info, But it is easy to get caught up in all this havoc. I am so glad that it will be off for a short time, it will be a rest.
    I do notice there are some very nice places to visit while this forum is updated. I am thankful for those who posted.

Evalen, I think you have done well to survive this transition. :-) Don't let it get you down. I hope to goodness they don't combine the sites, that will be something even worse. I'm not understanding whey this site is getting an upgrade and we lose our avatars unless they are planning on combining the sites. If that is the case the fighting will get even worse. It was true on the BBS. Those of us who came here for a little while and went back to TS2 got our threads deleted on TS2 if we even mentioned anything good or bad about TS3. And those who stayed at TS3 sometimes came back (not everyone) only to troll TS2 players and make post like 'Why don't you guys love TS3?' knowing it would only start a war. They were told to get off the forum and go back to TS3. But really they were only trolling to start a fight.

I just hope they don't combine both sites and let TS3's fade with some sort of normal posting whether I like this game (TS3) or not.

Because if they combine for the next few years, until the make the TS3 thread read only and then archive them it will be even worse with the trolls who love to get everyone riled up.
  • Options
    GBA91101Nver4getGBA91101Nver4get Posts: 4,965 Member
    edited August 2014
    I remember the sims 3 launch and it wasn't nearly as chaotic as the sims 4 seems to be. There were some upset people about some stuff regarding the sims 3, but I don't recall people trying to get the game delayed like people are doing with the sims 4. The sims 3 was of course missing some stuff but the sims 4 seems to be missing almost everything that made the past games in the series great. I think that's where a lot of the angry is coming from, people don't like where the sims 4 is headed.
    Nobody does it better, Steve Jobs you simply are the best RIP 10-5-11
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Cinebar wrote:
    It was true on the BBS. Those of us who came here for a little while and went back to TS2 got our threads deleted on TS2 if we even mentioned anything good or bad about TS3. And those who stayed at TS3 sometimes came back (not everyone) only to troll TS2 players and make post like 'Why don't you guys love TS3?' knowing it would only start a war. They were told to get off the forum and go back to TS3. But really they were only trolling to start a fight.

I just hope they don't combine both sites and let TS3's fade with some sort of normal posting whether I like this game (TS3) or not.

Because if they combine for the next few years, until the make the TS3 thread read only and then archive them it will be even worse with the trolls who love to get everyone riled up.

This is so true. I don't even have anything to add except that I saw all of this happen and it was sad. Thank goodness for TS2 players that chose to regroup on unofficial sites and keep the game so active, otherwise it would've been so much worse. Hopefully TS3 community has some great players that do the same.
  • Options
    JupiterGirlJupiterGirl Posts: 515 Member
    edited August 2014
    Kiasorous wrote:
    Does anyone remember what some of the biggest complaints were with TS3 launch?

I was around for the switch from Sims 2 to 3. The main pre-launch complaints I remember were about story progression, pudding faces, and the minimum computer requirements. Other complaints arose post-launch, like the speed not working correctly and some players not liking the genetics in 3 as much as in 2.

The community was not as contentious back then as it is now. There were still trolls, of course, but the extreme antagonism between non-troll posters just wasn't there. What's going on now is on another level entirely!

I think a lot of what's going on is due to the differences in how the releases have been handled by EA. If the EA/Sims staff responsible for communication were decent communicators, much of this hot mess could have been prevented or at least calmed down. A lot of information about 4 has been vague, and the decision to release the demo to small groups of people was weird. How can they release to a small percentage and expect the other players to not get upset? :roll: Demogate really divided players, which isn't something most companies want when they are trying to build excitement about a new game.
  • Options
    IcySlashIcySlash Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited August 2014
    True. The backlash that's going on now is way worse than TS3 pre-launch. I don't think the post-launch will be so much different here, honestly.

From what i see, most people were mad by TS3 issues with Open world, Story progression, CASt (lag), Traits not affecting Gameplay that much, Worse genetics than TS2. But who's to say these couldn't be improved in TS4?
    Instead, they removed most of the features that players considered ''glitchy'' or ''broken'' and replaced them with nothing. If that's not just plain laziness, that's absurdly unprofessional. What's more annoying is the fact they shove Emotions and CAS above everything that's gone. Oh, also ''weirder stories'' which i don't know who the hell even called this to begin with.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I am one of the many that is a little less thn thrilled with TS4... I'm finding myself in a gray area. As a player I spent most of my time building houses and I feel like that aspect of the game has a huge hunk cut out of it yet I still want to give the game a chance.
    Someone mentioned a really good point before, EA is keeping a ton in the dark. When 3 came out we knew what we were getting into (good and bad) months in advance but I feel we know very little about this new game. :/
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I think a lot of what's going on is due to the differences in how the releases have been handled by EA. If the EA/Sims staff responsible for communication were decent communicators, much of this hot mess could have been prevented or at least calmed down. A lot of information about 4 has been vague, and the decision to release the demo to small groups of people was weird. How can they release to a small percentage and expect the other players to not get upset? :roll: Demogate really divided players, which isn't something most companies want when they are trying to build excitement about a new game.

This. If EA would've given the pro-TS4 simmers a little more information and a slew of daily pictures, then there would be more pro-TS4 threads and general excitement. Unfortunately, all EA is giving out is bad news and the people who dislike what they are hearing are making all the threads and setting the tone. This game looks bad and the release seems like it will be a total disaster so far, EA is not doing one thing to stop that impression from ruling every forum I visit.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Seamoan wrote:

This. If EA would've given the pro-TS4 simmers a little more information and a slew of daily pictures, then there would be more pro-TS4 threads and general excitement.
    Yes! Even with the silly "epic wood" video they put out today I got more intrigued by the game and not so critical of it. A new skill in the base game? Yay :D