Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 9 GB... Really??

Well the system requirements for TS4 has finally been released. And aw what they've gone higher again...
HARD DRIVE: At least 9 GB of free space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games

Umm The Sims 1 had 500 MB, Sims 2 had 2 GB, and Sims 3 6 GB.

Does the memory just not matter that much when it comes to Errors?

EA has been promising us that this game is gonna have better system performance. I've been hoping optimistically yet again for the new sims game, and this time they gave me the reason. I just really want to have a sims game that actually works. :(

Comments

• Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited July 2014
    Prolly includes lots of deactivated code for online features.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    pandabearroxpandabearrox Posts: 2,295 Member
    edited July 2014
    Well isnt that a good thing. We arent living in 2009 anymore, Of course its going to raise, it just means a richer game. This is a good thing.

And remember, todays computers can handle that.
  • Options
    ZKextremeZKextreme Posts: 348 New Member
    edited July 2014
    Cyron43 wrote:

lol that is the opposite of efficiency
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ZKextreme wrote:
    Cyron43 wrote:

Depends on the view point. We know TS4 was formerly developed to be an online game. Due to a lack of time they just scrapped the online features and built the rest on top of what they got left. The question is: Have they removed the dead code or is it still there but deactivated? From a management point of view it would be wise to keep it. You never know if one fine day a demand for online gaming will raise and then - tadaa!
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited July 2014
    Perhaps all that space is for more content like clothing, hair, objects, game play, sound, and animation.

If I were to look on the bright side of things. :D
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    DebbieGCDebbieGC Posts: 288 Member
    edited July 2014
    Console games can be 25GB - 50GB

9GB install ain't bad
  • Options
    Glic2003Glic2003 Posts: 2,933 Member
    edited July 2014

Plenty of games are in the 20+ GB range now, so 9 GB isn't that much.

Also, a lot of that could be just audio files (music, Simlish, etc).
    simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
    -Honeywell
  • Options
    kovu0207kovu0207 Posts: 6,209 Member
    edited July 2014
    I think 9Gb seems a bit small, I mean 2Gb of that is CAS alone. Doesn't leave a lot for the rest of the game.
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Options
    GazpachoidGazpachoid Posts: 372 Member
    edited July 2014
    where are the specs for the sims 4? can you link me?
  • Options
    GazpachoidGazpachoid Posts: 372 Member
    edited July 2014
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Umm where are these 20 gb games? :?

I have GTA V and when I googled it, it says it has an 8 gb requirement.
  • Options
    Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited July 2014
    I would think the amount of space the game physically takes up on a hard drive is the least of anyone's worries. 9gb really isn't that much anyway... I have ps4 games that take up 50gb and they are shipping those systems with 500gb hard drives because that totally makes sense. What are the rest of the specs, that's going to have more of an impact on whether or not people can run it than the fact that the file is 9gb.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Gazpachoid wrote:

Someone made a thread on it, it's around still at the front page or at the 2nd.
  • Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    edited July 2014
    kovu0207 wrote:
    I think 9Gb seems a bit small, I mean 2Gb of that is CAS alone. Doesn't leave a lot for the rest of the game.

LOL. This is why people upgrade their pcs. Never go by, oh they'll make it so it runs on a lower end machine. Remember things change. I'm not being snarky mind you, I am being honest.
    I tend to get my pc upgraded with new bits when I can, because you never know when a game you were told would be able to run on an older pc just may not be able to. My older PC wouldn't have been able to handle TS3, so it was necessary to upgrade if I wanted to play that. For those wanting to play TS4 you're likely going to find it is going to end up the same. My upgrades, however, have been in preparation for GTA V. LOL.

It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Alysha1988 wrote:
    I would think the amount of space the game physically takes up on a hard drive is the least of anyone's worries. 9gb really isn't that much anyway... I have ps4 games that take up 50gb and they are shipping those systems with 500gb hard drives because that totally makes sense. What are the rest of the specs, that's going to have more of an impact on whether or not people can run it than the fact that the file is 9gb.

Yes.
  • Options
    SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member
    edited July 2014
    Cyron43 wrote:
    ZKextreme wrote:
    Cyron43 wrote:

Depends on the view point. We know TS4 was formerly developed to be an online game. Due to a lack of time they just scrapped the online features and built the rest on top of what they got left. The question is: Have they removed the dead code or is it still there but deactivated? From a management point of view it would be wise to keep it. You never know if one fine day a demand for online gaming will raise and then - tadaa!

Oh you know that dead code is lurking around in the game. Right between the borked up toddler code and the borked up swimming pool code. Just waiting to be activated or to activate itself and go on a game destroying rampage :D

9 gigs for essentially a ported online game??? Yeah, the code is in there for sure.
  • Options
    DebbieGCDebbieGC Posts: 288 Member
    edited July 2014
    ZKextreme wrote:

It was minimized to fit on a single Xbox 360 disc. The 360 does not run Blu-ray discs which can hold up to 50GB.

EDIT: Correction, the 360 needs 2 discs to install GTA V. Total game installed on my PS3 (digital) is 18GB.
  • Options
    MenshleeMenshlee Posts: 219 Member
    edited July 2014
    9 GB isn't bad at all. Some games are 25 GB or higher. I was honestly expecting it to be higher.
  • Options
    blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited July 2014
    Alysha1988 wrote:
    500 GB is not enough room for me on PS4. :oops:
    The first thing I'm going to do is replace the hard drive with a faster one and more room. :wink:
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • Options
    ThoddyEAThoddyEA Posts: 108 Member
    edited July 2014
    Cyron43 wrote:
    ZKextreme wrote:
    Cyron43 wrote:

It is quiet obvious that you have no clue about developement. You don't have to, but then stop your really ... crazy ideas.
    This poster is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
  • Options
    Glic2003Glic2003 Posts: 2,933 Member
    edited July 2014
    ZKextreme wrote:

Bioshock Infinite
    is 38 GB.
    Thief is 23 GB.
    Titanfall is 50 GB.
    X-Com is 18 GB.
    Watch Dogs is 14 GB.

Admittedly, those last two are a bit smaller than I thought. I thought they were 20 GB.

Oh, and Batman Arkham City is 18.5
    simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
    -Honeywell
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    blunote00 wrote:
    Alysha1988 wrote:
    500 GB is not enough room for me on PS4. :oops:
    The first thing I'm going to do is replace the hard drive with a faster one and more room. :wink:

500GB is not enough for sure, they need TB hard drives in them. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ThoddyEA wrote:
    Cyron43 wrote:
    ZKextreme wrote:
    Cyron43 wrote:

It is quiet obvious that you have no clue about developement. You don't have to, but then stop your really ... crazy ideas.
    Can you please elaborate? I have an MCTS degree. So feel free to use technical terms.
    But first: Who the eff are you?
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member
    edited July 2014
    Cyron43 wrote:
    ThoddyEA wrote:
    Cyron43 wrote:
    ZKextreme wrote:
    Cyron43 wrote:

Can you please elaborate? I have an MCTS degree. So feel free to use technical terms.
    But first: Who the eff are you?

I'm interested in the answer to this as well. What's is wrong with his comment from a technical perspective?
  • Options
    SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,449 Member
    edited July 2014
    fdb73983-2d96-437d-8598-69cf2f0ca3c6_zpscfdc4276.jpg

If your computer couldn't handle 6GB Sims 3, have fun with this.

I've said this before, I'll say it again, EA is saying this was made for low-end computers to cover up the fact that this game is a mess because of previous online features. If there was no online in the beginining, the art style would've been a lot different, we'd have CASt, toddlers, a real open world.