Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 9 GB... Really??

Comments

• blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited July 2014
    blunote00 wrote:
    Alysha1988 wrote:
    I would think the amount of space the game physically takes up on a hard drive is the least of anyone's worries. 9gb really isn't that much anyway... I have ps4 games that take up 50gb and they are shipping those systems with 500gb hard drives because that totally makes sense. What are the rest of the specs, that's going to have more of an impact on whether or not people can run it than the fact that the file is 9gb.
    500 GB is not enough room for me on PS4. :oops:
    The first thing I'm going to do is replace the hard drive with a faster one and more room. :wink:

500GB is not enough for sure, they need TB hard drives in them. :mrgreen:
    I've already done the research on the specs. This is why they allow you to replace the one it comes with. :thumbup:
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • alejandro15039alejandro15039 Posts: 939 Member
    edited July 2014
    9 GB sounds perfect, I thougt it will be like 3 GB because of the graphics or content.
  • TrancepireTrancepire Posts: 969 Member
    edited July 2014
    That 9GB is probably full of well, emotions :lol:

If this game doesn't contain any of those dead online codes, then what would that 9GB actually contain :?:

I hope someone who is good at unpacking those files (modders?) can tell us what they actually contain.
    cnc4pew3.gif
  • mw1234mw1234 Posts: 5,400 Member
    edited July 2014
    I have a 2013 iMac that holds up to 2TB, which is 2000GB...

Now, take it that I can't play The Sims 4 without bootcamp and spent an arm and a leg for my machine, I feel the game could definitely use much more of my hard-drive space... :?

They're starting to make hard-drives that can store up to 5000GB now!
  • InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    edited July 2014
    mw1234 wrote:
    I have a 2013 iMac that holds up to 2TB, which is 2000GB...

Now, take it that I can't play The Sims 4 without bootcamp and spent an arm and a leg for my machine, I feel the game could definitely use much more of my hard-drive space... :?

They're starting to make hard-drives that can store up to 5000GB now![/quote

I want one of those..**drools*** 8)
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • bflurybflury Posts: 2,603 Member
    edited July 2014
    ZKextreme wrote:
    Umm The Sims 1 had 500 MB, Sims 2 had 2 GB, and Sims 3 6 GB.
    Yeah, get ready for a bloated piece of ...
    "In Short, The Sims 4's biggest problem is that The Sims 3 exists." - Kevin VanOrd, Gamespot. Scored 6.0 of 10.
    edited July 2014
    Makes me think of getting a 2TB HD, and turning my 1TB HD into the drive just for the OS. Oh the possibilities....

**Edit: I am not thinking of this for TS4 , as I am not buying TS4, I just got ideas for upgrades...**giggles** **
  • DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited July 2014
    Operating system: Commodore BASIC 2.0
    CPU: MOS Technology 6502 @ 1.108404 MHz (PAL) [1] @ 1.02 MHz (NTSC)
    Memory: 5 KB total (expandable to 32 KB), 3.5 KB for BASIC Programming (expandable to 30.5 KB)
    Graphics: VIC 176 x 184 3-bpp
    Sound: 3x square, 1x noise, mono.[2]

Keeping my fingers crossed.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • HaidenHaiden Posts: 3,841 Member
    edited July 2014

39.1 GB (41 999 818 752 bytes)

That's the size of the EA Folder in my programme files x86

All Ts3 exp packs and all the stuff packs.

Dunno if that includes store content...I have 10 gigs of that alone :mrgreen:
    edited July 2014
    Makes me think of getting a 2TB HD, and turning my 1TB HD into the drive just for the OS. Oh the possibilities....

**Edit: I am not thinking of this for TS4 , as I am not buying TS4, I just got ideas for upgrades...**giggles** **

Get a 250 (I've got a 120, and it's doing 'ok', but wish I had a larger one) gb SSD for you OS, and 2TB to hold all your content.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
    edited July 2014

Get a 250 (I've got a 120, and it's doing 'ok', but wish I had a larger one) gb SSD for you OS, and 2TB to hold all your content.

Thanks for that idea too, I will need to go and price things out, but yay new toys.
  • IrishSimsloverIrishSimslover Posts: 715 Member
    edited July 2014
    Seamoan wrote:
    Cyron43 wrote:
    ZKextreme wrote:
    Cyron43 wrote:
    Prolly includes lots of deactivated code for online features.

lol that is the opposite of efficiency
    Depends on the view point. We know TS4 was formerly developed to be an online game. Due to a lack of time they just scrapped the online features and built the rest on top of what they got left. The question is: Have they removed the dead code or is it still there but deactivated? From a management point of view it would be wise to keep it. You never know if one fine day a demand for online gaming will raise and then - tadaa!

Oh you know that dead code is lurking around in the game. Right between the borked up toddler code and the borked up swimming pool code. Just waiting to be activated or to activate itself and go on a game destroying rampage :D

9 gigs for essentially a ported online game??? Yeah, the code is in there for sure.

"Skynet has become self-aware." :lol:
    tumblr_inline_ml9leeQUvj1qz4rgp.jpg
    edited July 2014
    lol what do you people have on your pc that you need so much space. In the old days I never went higher than a 500GB HDD. I never even filled that!

I have this SSD now:

Storage
    Hard drives
    OCZ-AGILITY4 ATA Device
    Manufacturer OCZ
    Heads 16
    Cylinders 31 130
    Tracks 7 938 150
    Sectors 500 103 450
    SATA type SATA-III 6.0Gb/s
    Device type Fixed
    ATA Standard ACS2
    Serial Number OCZ-U2W1Q3R81N72VU11
    Firmware Version Number 1.4.1.3
    LBA Size 48-bit LBA
    Power On Count 491 times
    Power On Time 64.5 days
    Speed Not used (SSD Drive)
    Features S.M.A.R.T., NCQ, TRIM, SSD
    Max. Transfer Mode SATA III 6.0Gb/s
    Used Transfer Mode SATA III 6.0Gb/s
    Interface SATA
    Capacity 238 GB
    Real size 256 060 514 304 bytes
    RAID Type None

Lol I still have almost 50 free space left. Though granted I only use this pc to play games and internet. Lol I dunno what I would need a TB HDD for.

lol I would rather have a 2 times faster SSD that a huge HDD space.
  • SmylishSmylish Posts: 274 Member
    edited July 2014
    SimChic1 wrote:
    fdb73983-2d96-437d-8598-69cf2f0ca3c6_zpscfdc4276.jpg

If your computer couldn't handle 6GB Sims 3, have fun with this.

I've said this before, I'll say it again, EA is saying this was made for low-end computers to cover up the fact that this game is a mess because of previous online features. If there was no online in the beginining, the art style would've been a lot different, we'd have CASt, toddlers, a real open world.

Hum, I dont think the art style would be different. Even those early early images of concept art of The Sims 4 had the same art style. They planned this art style since the beggining.

I honestly don't think it is bad at all. I really like it, the world reminds me of a mixture between those worlds from World Of Warcraft and Disney movies' worlds xD They're kinda "magical".

Besides, 9Gb? I'm excited that it is that big. It means they did something right with the game, I'm pretty sure. For example, they said they were shipping a lot more content in the base game than they ever did (like furniture, hair, clothes, etc). So, it was expected to be a big game.
    edited July 2014
    No prob. Initially had boot ups-cold start to online-in about five seconds (and not the Napoleon Dynamite '5 seconds'). Increased quite a bit with OS updates and driver add-ons, and other programs that start running at boot, but still feels really fast, and quiet.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    edited July 2014
    Operating system: Commodore BASIC 2.0
    CPU: MOS Technology 6502 @ 1.108404 MHz (PAL) [1] @ 1.02 MHz (NTSC)
    Memory: 5 KB total (expandable to 32 KB), 3.5 KB for BASIC Programming (expandable to 30.5 KB)
    Graphics: VIC 176 x 184 3-bpp
    Sound: 3x square, 1x noise, mono.[2]

Keeping my fingers crossed.

:lol::lol::lol:
    I loved my Commodores!
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,449 Member
    edited July 2014
    Smylish wrote:
    SimChic1 wrote:

I've said this before, I'll say it again, EA is saying this was made for low-end computers to cover up the fact that this game is a mess because of previous online features. If there was no online in the beginining, the art style would've been a lot different, we'd have CASt, toddlers, a real open world.

Hum, I dont think the art style would be different. Even those early early images of concept art of The Sims 4 had the same art style. They planned this art style since the beggining.

I honestly don't think it is bad at all. I really like it, the world reminds me of a mixture between those worlds from World Of Warcraft and Disney movies' worlds xD They're kinda "magical".

Besides, 9Gb? I'm excited that it is that big. It means they did something right with the game, I'm pretty sure. For example, they said they were shipping a lot more content in the base game than they ever did (like furniture, hair, clothes, etc). So, it was expected to be a big game.
    I mean those early images also came with the idea that they were going to go online with this from the get go lol But it's not bad you like it, it's just not my cup of tea.

And with 9GB, yeah it's good it's a big size but my remark was more towards people who complained their computer couldn't handle 6GB Sims 3 but were all on board for the Sims 4 because EA "marketed it for low-end computers."
    edited July 2014
    Haiden wrote:
    lol what do you people have on your pc that you need so much space. In the old days I never went higher than a 500GB HDD. I never even filled that!

I have this SSD now:

Storage
    Hard drives
    OCZ-AGILITY4 ATA Device
    Manufacturer OCZ
    Heads 16
    Cylinders 31 130
    Tracks 7 938 150
    Sectors 500 103 450
    Device type Fixed
    ATA Standard ACS2
    LBA Size 48-bit LBA
    Power On Count 491 times
    Power On Time 64.5 days
    Interface SATA
    Capacity 238 GB
    RAID Type None

Lol I still have almost 50 free space left. Though granted I only use this pc to play games and internet. Lol I dunno what I would need a TB HDD for.

Oh man, I have about 1.2 TB filled on my mechanical. Some of it is stuff I've saved from old computers (As in 2002 'old', files..heck, some dates back to 1994)..I'm a pack rat. Not sure what the rest is. I know Sims 3, between DLC and mods, takes up close to 50 gigs alone. Skyrim, Fallout series, and DAZ/POSER stuff rounds it out. I could never get by with just a small SSD. Now, a LARGE one, well, I don't have that kind of money.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member
    edited July 2014
    "Skynet has become self-aware." :lol:

Exactly! :lol:
  • Taranatar9Taranatar9 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited July 2014
    SimChic1 wrote:
    And with 9GB, yeah it's good it's a big size but my remark was more towards people who complained their computer couldn't handle 6GB Sims 3 but were all on board for the Sims 4 because EA "marketed it for low-end computers."

Do such people actually exist? I know that the Sims community isn't exactly Mensa, but it's sort of obvious that even a "low end" game in 2014 is going to be at least as demanding as a game from 2009.
  • SteamZaarinSteamZaarin Posts: 37 Member
    edited July 2014
    ZKextreme wrote:
    Umm where are these 20 gb games? :?

I have GTA V and when I googled it, it says it has an 8 gb requirement.
    Bioshock Infinite, the largest game in my library (as far as I can recall), is 43 GB. For an open-world game like Sims 4, 9 GB seems rather small.
    edited July 2014
    Haiden wrote:

I have this SSD now:

Storage
    Hard drives
    OCZ-AGILITY4 ATA Device
    Manufacturer OCZ
    Heads 16
    Cylinders 31 130
    Tracks 7 938 150
    Sectors 500 103 450
    Device type Fixed
    ATA Standard ACS2
    LBA Size 48-bit LBA
    Power On Count 491 times
    Power On Time 64.5 days
    Interface SATA
    Capacity 238 GB
    RAID Type None

Oh man, I have about 1.2 TB filled on my mechanical. Some of it is stuff I've saved from old computers (As in 2002 'old', files..heck, some dates back to 1994)..I'm a pack rat. Not sure what the rest is. I know Sims 3, between DLC and mods, takes up close to 50 gigs alone. Skyrim, Fallout series, and DAZ/POSER stuff rounds it out. I could never get by with just a small SSD. Now, a LARGE one, well, I don't have that kind of money.

Oh yeah lol I do have some other storage. I use a usb slim line regular 1 TB HDD...lol but the only thing on it is windows back up atm lol. I have other bits and piece stored on flash drives . . . .somewhere
  • Taranatar9Taranatar9 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited July 2014
    For an open-world game like Sims 4...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but nope.
  • SmylishSmylish Posts: 274 Member
    edited July 2014
    SimChic1 wrote:
    Smylish wrote:
    SimChic1 wrote:

I mean those early images also came with the idea that they were going to go online with this from the get go lol But it's not bad you like it, it's just not my cup of tea.

Eh, you have a point. Maybe they would've changed it if they had more time. I'd be fine with both cases but now that I was introduced to this one as well, I really enjoy it xD

Oh, the comment about the 9Gb wasn't exactly directed to you. It was more for everyone. I do agree that they are advertising that a bit too much, maybe even to hide external flaws, but I'm still optimistic it'll be a nice game.

The only annoying thing is CASt. Still don't know how I'm gonna manage without it. Maybe an external program like "Create a Pattern" would do the trick. That way it wouldn't slow the game so much. It would be just like installing CC - retextured CC :P
  • SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,449 Member
    edited July 2014
    Taranatar9 wrote:
    SimChic1 wrote:

Do such people actually exist? I know that the Sims community isn't exactly Mensa, but it's sort of obvious that even a "low end" game in 2014 is going to be at least as demanding as a game from 2009.
    People assumed that it wouldn't be. People assumed that the game would be less demanding so it'll run on older, low-end computers. Get ready for a lot of "My computer can't handle this you lied EA!" threads.