Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I've Come to a Conclusion

I honestly think that TheSims 4 was originally intended to be a series reboot similar to the SimCity reboot last year. After the commercial and PR failure of that reboot, they wanted to distance themselves from it, so they stripped out the online features and changed marketing strategies to market it as a sequel.

This may explain the thinking behind the removal of some previous staples in the series and why you get the sense of taking a step back or to the side rather than a step forward.

I dunno. This just feels more like a rebooted product than a true successor.
"UR" is NOT a word, it's the sound stupid people make when they try to spell "You are".

Comments

• Options
    StoreAccountStoreAccount Posts: 1,504 Member
    edited July 2014
    You nailed the part about it originally going to be an online game! ;)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2014
    I honestly think that TheSims 4 was originally intended to be a series reboot similar to the SimCity reboot last year. After the commercial and PR failure of that reboot, they wanted to distance themselves from it, so they stripped out the online features and changed marketing strategies to market it as a sequel.

This may explain the thinking behind the removal of some previous staples in the series and why you get the sense of taking a step back or to the side rather than a step forward.

Well, O.K. then they should rename it The Sims Reboot, then. Sims who can't swim anywhere in a base game seems so hilarious to me. I mean really. Think of it this way. Smarter Sims...too ignorant to know how to swim. The Smarter Sims...too ignorant to raise a toddler. Smarter Sims...too ignorant to serve food to the table...etc. etc.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    IcySlashIcySlash Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited July 2014
    Cinebar wrote:

Well, O.K. then they should rename it The Sims Reboot, then. Sims who can't swim anywhere in a base game seems so hilarious to me. I mean really. Think of it this way. Smarter Sims...too ignorant to know how to swim. The Smarter Sims...too ignorant to raise a toddler. Smarter Sims...too ignorant to serve food to the table...etc. etc.
    Who needs these things anyway? we have EMOTIONS! :D
  • Options
    MoonbarkerMoonbarker Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited July 2014
    Exactly this.
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    edited July 2014
    Cinebar wrote:

LOLZ :lol: They don't really seem all that smart do they? OP...everyone already knows this is a ******** online game, and yes this is where all the problems are stemming from. That in no way shape or form makes it ok.It actually makes it worse. :? Like trying to serve someone expired beef..but your like well hey! I cooked it! :? :cry:
  • Options
    Ladybug889Ladybug889 Posts: 943 Member
    edited July 2014
    Cinebar wrote:

they can't serve food to the table?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Cinebar wrote:
    Smarter Sims...too ignorant to serve food to the table...etc. etc.

This hasn't been confirmed yet, I'm not sure why Cine keeps stating it as fact? Do you know something we don't, Cine? :)
  • Options
    netguystevenetguysteve Posts: 470 Member
    edited July 2014
    Cinebar wrote:

That's the point, I think they originally intended to just name it "TheSims" and market it as a reboot to the series. They renamed it after the failed SimCity reboot.
    "UR" is NOT a word, it's the sound stupid people make when they try to spell "You are".
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    It's original name was The Sims 4 Olmypus, so I don't think it was meant as a re-boot, hence the "4". :-)
  • Options
    EvvieSimmerEvvieSimmer Posts: 134 Member
    edited July 2014

I hadn't thought of this, but now that you mention it it really does feel like that. It would explain a lot if true!
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    edited July 2014
    My TS3 sims never served food at the table--they always put it on a counter and then called everyone to eat and then everyone ate separately.

They did say they can have dinner parties and the staged videos show them all sitting around a table eating and talking, so I'm hoping the dinner parties include that. They specifically said they can eat, watch tv, and talk with someone at the same time and that they can talk to someone who's sitting down, so I assume two sims can sit and talk while eating. Which is already a step up from TS3.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    edited July 2014

Yes!
  • Options
    LovenVincentLovenVincent Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited July 2014
    Cinebar wrote:

Keep this in mind my dear- they could serve food in the sims 2. the sims 4 is that of a reconstruction of the sims 2. they also made known of multitasking with food. unless someone shows proof, there is always a high chance that it is possible.
    0sig_YunaTidus_animated.gif

Origin: Damian_Nyx
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited July 2014
    ebuchala wrote:
    My TS3 sims never served food at the table--they always put it on a counter and then called everyone to eat and then everyone ate separately.

They did say they can have dinner parties and the staged videos show them all sitting around a table eating and talking, so I'm hoping the dinner parties include that. They specifically said they can eat, watch tv, and talk with someone at the same time and that they can talk to someone who's sitting down, so I assume two sims can sit and talk while eating. Which is already a step up from TS3.

Sims can already eat and talk with Sims 3 :roll:
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    edited July 2014
    06Bon06 wrote:
    ebuchala wrote:

They can do this to a point and it is very bland. I had to download a mod for Sims 3 just so they would sit at the table together longer and they still don't really talk all that much to each other. The Sims 3 sims are bland and robotic.
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    edited July 2014
    Sims can and do sit at the table and talk while eating. You do realize you have to actually make them do something though. If you have them on high autonomy they will do what they want, not what you want. My sim kids and mom and dad sit at the table after dinner and talk for as long as I push the buttons.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    edited July 2014
    06Bon06 wrote:
    ebuchala wrote:

My sims only talked and ate at the same time by chance, not by design. :roll: You can't serve food at the table :roll: and if I want to speak to one directly that's sitting at a table, they will stand up and then both sims will awkwardly positions themselves in front of one another before talking. :roll: They don't eat and watch tv at the same time.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ebuchala wrote:
    They don't eat and watch tv at the same time.

Eat and watch TV? They can't even cuddle and watch TV at the same time. Yeah, they can sit there and cuddle while the TV is on, but if they actually start watching it, they will slide away from each other.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited July 2014
    bekkasan wrote:
    Sims can and do sit at the table and talk while eating. You do realize you have to actually make them do something though. If you have them on high autonomy they will do what they want, not what you want. My sim kids and mom and dad sit at the table after dinner and talk for as long as I push the buttons.

Thank you! Mine will even finish their dinner and continue to sit and talk while the other is still eating, sometimes they finish their meals and just sit there talking until I make them do something. They do this on their own and it is awesome :wink:
  • Options
    gravyfloodgravyflood Posts: 13 New Member
    edited July 2014
    Cinebar wrote:
    Well, O.K. then they should rename it The Sims Reboot, then.

You're bad at naming things.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    It's original name was The Sims 4 Olmypus, so I don't think it was meant as a re-boot, hence the "4". :-)

Considering that the initial announcement of TS4 was right in the middle of the very large public outrage over the SimCity reboot, I am not so sure that the "4" wasn't tacked on at that time to distance themselves. "We're not like them! This isn't a reboot! See! We call it The Sims 4!!"