Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Current DD (Daily Deal) Rotation & Sales Help: Started July 3rd

Comments

• Options
    MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    edited August 2014
    Miyra_Jade wrote:
    Oh, I can see the sales in Chrome and Internet Explorer, but not Firefox. Huh, ok then.
    Weird, I can see it on Chrome but not Firefox, either. (I don't use IE.) The only reason I can think of for that is if they are using a version of JavaScript or Java that Firefox can't handle.

I can tell you something from a web developer's standpoint; for the past five or six years, web developers would swear by Firefox, were indifferent towards Chrome, and hated IE for being terrible. (IE doesn't handle code properly, because Microsoft thinks they are better than everyone else, so they don't think they need to keep IE up to date with the latest practices.) The reason for this is that Firefox always made sure to stay up to date with new web developments and standards, but IE didn't.

Lately, however, there are certain things that Firefox doesn't handle, and Chrome does. Mozilla is not spending the time to keep Firefox up to date anymore, and Google is.

Chrome may be the browser of the future, at least for the next few years. Unfortunately, both of them are memory hogs. :(

ETA: Just cleared my cache, and now I can see it in Firefox. You might just need to clear the cache. Apparently hard resetting the page wasn't enough, which it should have been. WHY are they using cookies on the Sale! page? That's just dumb.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Btw, Wing Commander III is free on Origin right now. I don't know if it's just today, or if it will be there for a little while. Just launch Origin and you should get a pop up for it.
  • Options
    PigDestroyer1978PigDestroyer1978 Posts: 163 Member
    edited August 2014
    Miyra_Jade wrote:
    Oh, I can see the sales in Chrome and Internet Explorer, but not Firefox. Huh, ok then.
    Weird, I can see it on Chrome but not Firefox, either. (I don't use IE.) The only reason I can think of for that is if they are using a version of JavaScript or Java that Firefox can't handle.

I can tell you something from a web developer's standpoint; for the past five or six years, web developers would swear by Firefox, were indifferent towards Chrome, and hated IE for being terrible. (IE doesn't handle code properly, because Microsoft thinks they are better than everyone else, so they don't think they need to keep IE up to date with the latest practices.) The reason for this is that Firefox always made sure to stay up to date with new web developments and standards, but IE didn't.

Lately, however, there are certain things that Firefox doesn't handle, and Chrome does. Mozilla is not spending the time to keep Firefox up to date anymore, and Google is.

Chrome may be the browser of the future, at least for the next few years. Unfortunately, both of them are memory hogs. :(

Coming from a long time Firefox user, you are right, Chrome is the way to go. I made the switch long ago in the land of broken browsers and traffic lag.

Edit: BTW again for those of you missing deals, go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and check your connection speed (hit begin test on the map - no need to hit the begin scanning for issues first)! If its not at least 10 Mbps (download speed), you may not be able to keep up with those DD stalkers who's connection is faster. Mine for example is 24 Mbps. Not sure if that is fast in the realm of "fast" but it seems fast enough, and I pay a premium for that extra speed to my provider.
  • Options
    kellycot1kellycot1 Posts: 2,226 Member
    edited August 2014
    Me1620 wrote:
    I think the majority of us agree that this list is not going to rotate. Updating the spreadsheet is becoming very cumbersome. Also, the spreadsheet was intended to be a tool to help predict deals once the list starts repeating. It is not meant to be a never-ending list of deals.

With the forums going read-only beginning tomorrow, I have decided to put the spreadsheet in limbo. Frye agrees with my decision. Should the list begin rotating, and if we continue to track the deals on this thread, we can always catch up the deals.

I want to thank the DD spreadsheet team, Frye, missy2311 and mikrokitty78 (Misty) for being so wonderful.

p.s. - You know now that I have posted this, the list will rotate.

Edit - The July 2014 spreadsheet will still be available from the link.
    I agree that this is the right decision; as you said, it seems the spreadsheet is simply too cumbersome on you guys, and that's not fair. The entire DD spreadsheet team should be congratulated for their tireless efforts!

Even so, if you are tempting fate and the list goes into rotation, we have plenty of deals already tracked. Once we exhaust the spreadsheet, we can always start tracking the deals again, as though this was the first rotation -- no one says we need to have all of the deals, all of the time.

But, today might just be my (semi-)retirement from DD stalking. I'm looking at the Last Venue of Amore and I think I'll just go ahead and buy it when I get home from classes. Then, as long as I have some game time tonight, I'll go ahead and buy the Boardwalk and World of Wonder, too. It's frustrating because I know that I'm tempting fate by buying them full price, so if they go on sale immediately after I buy them, you're all welcome! :P

Then, I'll own the Store and have finally completed my collection. It's a bit daunting to think of how far I've come! (Skip past this next paragraph if you don't want to hear my DD life story)

With my free SimPoints, I bought Animals Abound, Fanciful Fashions and two single items. My first ever 'purchase' was when my mother bought me Hidden Springs, retail, for Christmas of 2012. That sparked an interest in me that I couldn't quite shake -- March of 2013, I picked up Barnacle Bay, Lucky Palms, the Viva Las Vegas sets (which was a silly impulse buy to go with Lucky Palms, because they were on sale), Monte Vista and Le Cinema Plumbob. That was pretty much the last time I ever came close to full price on anything. Then I got sucked in again this time last year, when Lullabies and Nursery Rhymes were part of the freebie weekend and was on sale at 40% off and the Best of 2012 Compilation was on sale for 55% off. I always had lists of things I wanted -- mostly Worlds and Premium Content. But, when they brought in CYS, that was it -- I needed everything. To this day, I blame India Inspirations, because I really, really didn't think I wanted that set. Having those items in game though, I realised I needed it all, because everything was useful; I've even been using the Uber Sani-Sim Toilet in a lot of my latest builds!

Sorry for the rant, but it feels nice talking about my story now that things are finally coming to a close. *sob*

I'll try not to stray too far though. The forums may be read-only for the weekend, so I'll put as much energy as I can into building, but I'll be back after the weekend with tales of roller coasters and canals, probably.

Whatever shall we do with ourselves once the list is no longer a part of our daily lives? I suppose we'll stay here for sales help and a good chat -- the list always does seem to just get in the way of good, OT discussion. :P

EDIT: I also just wanted to congratulate the few Simmers here who did snag Bohemian Garden for a great discount! I really love the set, so I'm sure you'll all enjoy it. As for those that missed out, I really am sorry this is still happening to so many of you; stay vigilant and I'm sure it'll be back around soon. With Sims 4 around the corner, I'm also sure things will be changing around here -- there'll be less and less Simmers vying for the hot sets (and even more Simmers will already have them), so it should only get easier from here on. Good luck!
    a.k.a. Erin
    Check out The Simdex—my PDF guide to all of the Sims 3 Store content (last updated September 2015)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Edit: BTW again for those of you missing deals, go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and check your connection speed! If its not at least 10 Mbps (download speed), you may not be able to keep up with those DD stalkers who's connection is faster. Mine for example is 24 Mbps. Not sure if that is fast in the realm of "fast" but it seems fast enough, and I pay a premium for that extra speed to my provider.
    Thank you for that link; it's good to test. Mine is decent at 16, but I don't pay for the fastest service. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Me1620 wrote:
    I think the majority of us agree that this list is not going to rotate. Updating the spreadsheet is becoming very cumbersome. Also, the spreadsheet was intended to be a tool to help predict deals once the list starts repeating. It is not meant to be a never-ending list of deals.

With the forums going read-only beginning tomorrow, I have decided to put the spreadsheet in limbo. Frye agrees with my decision. Should the list begin rotating, and if we continue to track the deals on this thread, we can always catch up the deals.

I want to thank the DD spreadsheet team, Frye, missy2311 and mikrokitty78 (Misty) for being so wonderful.
    I wanted to add what so many have already said - thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU - for all the hard work that all of you have done on this. The four of you, Ximph for the front page, and everyone who posted deals or gave us humor so we could keep our sanity (which includes David/Darwin!) - Thanks for everything!

And just remember... "We will always have April 2014!" (Ok, that's a bad misquote, but you all know what I'm saying!)

We can always post on the DD board that David created, even after the Sims 3 forums close, if we want to vent our Sims game woes, or show off our builds, or whatever, both for Sims 3 and Sims 4. And maybe for Sims 1 and 2, if any of us go and play that for nostalgia. (I have the Sims 1 complete collection, and it's fun to play every so often. Those Sims are even crazier than the Sims in 2 & 3!)

So Thank You, Jodi and Fry and the rest of the spreadsheet teem, for everything you've done with the spreadsheet, to make our DD stalking life much easier and more productive!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Well I've gotta say that I own a lot of the store and got all of it from the DD. That being said, the only time I've ever missed a deal I wanted (being a hot set or not) is because I wasn't in front of the computer in time. All that success can't be based on luck alone. If you do it right and you're on time, you should always get it unless its due to factor I said above that you can't control. Fortunately I guess, none of those have stood in my way.

Again, try to work on your browser (and if possible, connection - upgrade if you can) speed, it has more to do with it than you think. There is a lot of things you can do; switch browsers all together (never use IE, but try Firefox or Chrome), disable add ons, clear history etc, and for heaven's sake reboot! I can't tell you home many times the store seemed to be acting slow, I reboot my computer to get rid of any "silent background" programs running and the browser ends up being faster.
    A few weeks ago, I couldn't agree with you more -- I run a beast of a system and keep it clean, always use Chrome and pay for premium internet (we're a family of avid, borderline obsessive gamers), so I was always getting what I wanted, as long as I was home. There are a lot of ways, as you said, to secure a good deal.

But, I had a different run of luck with the Boardwalk, twice, so I must say that there is more to the story than that. I think it does, sometimes, come down to a little luck on top of all of that good preparation. If you're not prepared, you're hardly going to be in the game, but there are still other circumstances. Considering the timing of the Boardwalk, both during the Australian day, I wouldn't be surprised if LOCAL/REGIONAL traffic play a part in it all -- for example, with so many Australians rushing the Daily Deal at that specific time, I imagine the influx of information would be overload for the Store's servers. I know the first time I tried the Boardwalk, I was Liam'd in the minute PRIOR to the Deal coming up and had no chance whatsoever. The second time I got in early, with less than 10% sold by the time I hit the Buy button, but my confirmation just wouldn't go through.

I absolutely agree with you about being prepared and it being a lot more than luck, but those experiences definitely opened my eyes to what others go through -- and showed me that even when you do everything right, not all of the stars necessarily align. Before, I probably was a little so-so about it; I felt terrible that other people were missing out, but I just blamed their internet, computers, etc. too, because I had great internet and I was always succeeding.

Anyway, just my two cents. I can't say I'm devastated about the experiences with the Boardwalk -- it's frustrating and maybe a hit to my poor little DD stalking ego, but I know that I'm in a position, with the end of new Store content, where I don't NEED the deals the way I once did.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that, with the extra speed boost we pay for on our cable internet, we pay for up to 100Mbps -- TBH, it's our internet/home phone bill is the most expensive we have! We only get an average of 80-85Mbps, but that's still, well, fast. I'll do the test when I get home, but I've never seen us get less than 70Mbps, and believe me, as a bunch of gamers, we like to test our internet. A lot. :wink:
    a.k.a. Erin
    Check out The Simdex—my PDF guide to all of the Sims 3 Store content (last updated September 2015)
  • Options
    Me1620Me1620 Posts: 4,996 Member
    edited August 2014
    Me1620 wrote:

With the forums going read-only beginning tomorrow, I have decided to put the spreadsheet in limbo.

I should add that Frye and I will update the spreadsheet until the forum goes read-only tomorrow.
    ajaxpost wrote:
    ... And may I also thank you and the whole team for the amazing job you have all done in keeping up with this monster of a list. Thank you! :thumbup:
    Thanks Adrian. I am happy to be part of this great community.
    kellycot1 wrote:
    ... The entire DD spreadsheet team should be congratulated for their tireless efforts!
    ... it feels nice talking about my story now that things are finally coming to a close. *sob
    Thanks Erin. This thread is great, especially the OT discussions. I feel the same as you *sob sob sniffle*
    a.k.a. - Jodi and a link to My Page on the Sims 3 website

To help you organize your stalking of the Daily Deal, please join us on the Daily Deal Rotation and Sales Help thread and please view the DD Spreadsheet
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Announcing my first lottery

Last Venue of Amore Lottery to Say Thanks to the Keepers of the Daily Deal Thread. The lottery is open to anyone who has posted a deal on any of the many DD threads. If you have bought the venue already, I will substitute the prize. See my lottery post for the rules.

Good luck.

To help you organize your stalking of the Daily Deal, please join us on the Daily Deal Rotation and Sales Help thread and please view the DD Spreadsheet
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Me1620 wrote:
    kellycot1 wrote:
    ... The entire DD spreadsheet team should be congratulated for their tireless efforts!
    ... it feels nice talking about my story now that things are finally coming to a close. *sob
    Thanks Erin. This thread is great, especially the OT discussions. I feel the same as you *sob sob sniffle*
    I think we need to get a group hug happening in here! :lol:
    a.k.a. Erin
  • Options
    pangolin22pangolin22 Posts: 250 Member
    edited August 2014
    I've only got 1 Mbps download speed and I still managed to snag some of the faster deals.. ran into Liam on the Boardwalk deal though.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    @Frye - I am ready to clock in any time if you need a break.

• Options
    WallinWallin Posts: 2,243 Member
    edited August 2014
    Me1620 wrote:

Last Venue of Amore Lottery to Say Thanks to the Keepers of the Daily Deal Thread. The lottery is open to anyone who has posted a deal on any of the many DD threads. If you have bought the venue already, I will substitute the prize. See my lottery post for the rules.

Good luck.

This is awesomely generous of you, Jodi! :D:D:D

Good luck to enter! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Now:
    Haiku of the Lotus / 11 / 25 / 56% / 2 hours

Next:
    Faire Folk Attire / 533 / 2 hours
    Ultra Lounge Dining Set / 300

The tub (which isn't really a spa despite being called that...) went the full duration.
  • Options
    ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    edited August 2014
    Actually IE 11 is on par with Chrome now. Firefox was but fell behind the way when it started hindering independent developing of Mozilla. (Or rather Mozilla Foundation stopped it.)

If you have at least a dual core processor, cleaning your registry and old files isn't going to be an issue, because processors are quick enough now.

A huge problem I find is extensions. Many are so poorly coded they interfere with basic browser operations. A good way to solve this is to open your browser in "incognito" mode in Chrome or "In Private" browsing in IE (it's called something else in Firefox). What this does is disable any extensions or apps you may have.

The main issue is ISP speed. Where I am DSL 6.0 is the max I can get, and my actual speed is usually around 5.0 download. This is slow by modern standards, as you can see when I tried for the garden my browser got the green download but the speed of the ISP couldn't compete and locked me out.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Me1620 wrote:

Good luck.
    I've decided not to enter. I have almost enough points to get the last five venues/sets that I need, and I can get the rest by ads, or by getting the venues at even a small discount. I will most likely have some points remaining, which I will use up by gifting things to others. It would defeat the purpose a little if I entered. :)

I hope it goes to someone who is very short on points and very deserving of it. :)
  • Options
    CogitotoroCogitotoro Posts: 1,401 Member
    edited August 2014
    Wallin wrote:
    Cogitotoro wrote:
    Hey, just catching up on the last few pages of this thread and it's awesome that Firefly came up! And weird, because the Sim I'm working on right now in TS4 CAS is Joss Whedon (not done yet!). I've been a big fan since Buffy. I'll have to look into Firefly Online!

He looks great! I should probably watch Firefly in its entirety sometime soon... I saw Serenity and liked that a lot, but I had trouble watching the series since I was borrowing the discs from someone at the time. Now my own copy has just been sitting on my shelf for a while. :oops:
    It's also streaming on Netflix. It's on my list to watch again.
    It's on Amazon Prime if you get that, too.

This thread made me sit down and watch the first couple of episodes with my daughter, and she's really, really loving it. I was going, "I'm just so, so... proud and happy. My little girl is (*sniff*) old enough to love Firefly! It's one of those moments a mother hopes and wishes for, and finally the big day has arrived (*sob*)."

She's like, "Maaahm..."

:lol:
    Cogitotoro, aka Ashley
    siggy3_zpsaaab9c22.jpg
    No wishlist for me!
  • Options
    FryeGuy24FryeGuy24 Posts: 1,242 Member
    edited August 2014
    Me1620 wrote:
    @Frye - I am ready to clock in any time if you need a break.

I can go a few more hours. It's my last shift, and I want to go out with a bang, after all! Lol, but when I say it like that, it makes it sound a little more exciting than spreadsheet updating really is, but I'm sure you know what I mean. ;)

I'm running on little sleep, so I might not be the most coherent at the moment, but I want to also give a huge thanks to Jodi for creating this amazing tool and updating it all on her own for so long, and to missy2311 and mikrokitty78 for helping with the updates, and to everyone who has been so helpful in posting deal and sellout info to the forum, and to Judy for hosting, Adrian for hosting before that and making me feel welcome when I was a newbie, and everyone who made this an awesome place to hang out and chat.
    Elf67 wrote:
    For any Mac owners out there, I just got an email from Aspyr advertising the Sims 2 Super Collection being available in the Mac App Store. It's not free ($30), but great for those Mac folks who weren't able to take advantage of the free offer of the Windows version from Origin or who didn't want Origin or Windows on their Mac. And it's still a lot cheaper than Sims 4!

Thank you for sharing this! I might take advantage of that deal. I downloaded the free Windows version, but I have so little space left on my Windows partition.
  • Options
    CogitotoroCogitotoro Posts: 1,401 Member
    edited August 2014
    Me1620 wrote:

p.s. - You know now that I have posted this, the list will rotate.

Edit - The July 2014 spreadsheet will still be available from the link.

Wow, Jodi, end of an era. I think you're right to stop the spreadsheet. If the list does ever rotate again someone can always do it again. I'd like to express my gratitude to you, and to Frye, missy 2311 and Misty for all your hard work and dedication. Jodi especially, you've been such a wonderful calm but enthusiastic mentoring presence on this thread and through the list, of which I'm still in awe. And Frye, it's been such a pleasure having your fun but diplomatic self as one of the voices of the spreadsheet team. Eternal thanks.

Thanks also to all of the dozens of hard working participants who made this work, and to everyone who has kept it civil, kind, welcoming, and fun. An absolute gem on these forums.

Hope we'll all continue to chat on some similar thread about deals, cascades, toilets, sales, heartbreaks, weird DD dreams, success stories, MMLMAO, and everything else that has made these threads worth visiting for far more than the posting of the deals alone.
    Cogitotoro, aka Ashley
    siggy3_zpsaaab9c22.jpg
    No wishlist for me!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Just a quick but huge thank you to everyone who updated the spreadsheet! Your hard work was really appreciated, and I know it helped so many people here :D:D:D
  • Options
    Fran98765Fran98765 Posts: 462 Member
    edited August 2014
    I appreciate everything that Jody and Fry and all of the many compilers of info in bringing such a wonderful family feeling to this thread each rotation.
  • Options
    PigDestroyer1978PigDestroyer1978 Posts: 163 Member
    edited August 2014
    kellycot1 wrote:
    Well I've gotta say that I own a lot of the store and got all of it from the DD. That being said, the only time I've ever missed a deal I wanted (being a hot set or not) is because I wasn't in front of the computer in time. All that success can't be based on luck alone. If you do it right and you're on time, you should always get it unless its due to factor I said above that you can't control. Fortunately I guess, none of those have stood in my way.

Again, try to work on your browser (and if possible, connection - upgrade if you can) speed, it has more to do with it than you think. There is a lot of things you can do; switch browsers all together (never use IE, but try Firefox or Chrome), disable add ons, clear history etc, and for heaven's sake reboot! I can't tell you home many times the store seemed to be acting slow, I reboot my computer to get rid of any "silent background" programs running and the browser ends up being faster.
    A few weeks ago, I couldn't agree with you more -- I run a beast of a system and keep it clean, always use Chrome and pay for premium internet (we're a family of avid, borderline obsessive gamers), so I was always getting what I wanted, as long as I was home. There are a lot of ways, as you said, to secure a good deal.

But, I had a different run of luck with the Boardwalk, twice, so I must say that there is more to the story than that. I think it does, sometimes, come down to a little luck on top of all of that good preparation. If you're not prepared, you're hardly going to be in the game, but there are still other circumstances. Considering the timing of the Boardwalk, both during the Australian day, I wouldn't be surprised if LOCAL/REGIONAL traffic play a part in it all -- for example, with so many Australians rushing the Daily Deal at that specific time, I imagine the influx of information would be overload for the Store's servers. I know the first time I tried the Boardwalk, I was Liam'd in the minute PRIOR to the Deal coming up and had no chance whatsoever. The second time I got in early, with less than 10% sold by the time I hit the Buy button, but my confirmation just wouldn't go through.

I absolutely agree with you about being prepared and it being a lot more than luck, but those experiences definitely opened my eyes to what others go through -- and showed me that even when you do everything right, not all of the stars necessarily align. Before, I probably was a little so-so about it; I felt terrible that other people were missing out, but I just blamed their internet, computers, etc. too, because I had great internet and I was always succeeding.

Anyway, just my two cents. I can't say I'm devastated about the experiences with the Boardwalk -- it's frustrating and maybe a hit to my poor little DD stalking ego, but I know that I'm in a position, with the end of new Store content, where I don't NEED the deals the way I once did.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that, with the extra speed boost we pay for on our cable internet, we pay for up to 100Mbps -- TBH, it's our internet/home phone bill is the most expensive we have! We only get an average of 80-85Mbps, but that's still, well, fast. I'll do the test when I get home, but I've never seen us get less than 70Mbps, and believe me, as a bunch of gamers, we like to test our internet. A lot. :wink:

You are correct, a page earlier I said some factors are simply out of our hands,...although I truly believe they are rare. Examples being; where you are in the world and how long your connection takes to "speak" to EA's server (even with a fast connection), and EA's superior lack of web host server capacity. Too many people clicking and reloading at once WILL slow down the site. Again though, it is rare to reach a carrying capacity even on small servers, everyone clicking and reloading within milliseconds only make a difference.

I guess it was more about what we can control, some people were mentioning that they simply sit on the main DD page and then complained they didn't even see the item.
  • Options
    ashygirl94ashygirl94 Posts: 412 Member
    edited August 2014
    Btw, Wing Commander III is free on Origin right now. I don't know if it's just today, or if it will be there for a little while. Just launch Origin and you should get a pop up for it.
    It's free until September 2.

Still only 8 deals on the sale page. My guess is they meant to add items with the same theme as the new venue, but screwed it up.
    qPSCOr.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Now:
    Faire Folk Attire / 230 / 533 / 58% / 2 hours

Next:
    Ultra Lounge Dining Set / 300 / 2 hours
    Farm Fresh Folk Set / 1400

The Lotus window ended early. Fairy Folk Attire started at 13 minutes past the hour.
  • Options
    mangoesandlimesmangoesandlimes Posts: 2,623 Member
    edited August 2014
    Thank you all for everything you've done for the community. You've saved me I don't know how many simpoints and made me laugh to boot. I hope to still see you all around the internet even if the TS3 forums don't stay the same.