Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

GC's Barnacle Bay Makeover *Closed*

GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
edited August 2014 in The Sims 3 Builders
Thank you to everyone who has supported me in this thread! I really, really appreciate it :)

Unfortunately, I do not feel I am going to be able to get on with the new forums, so I am closing this thread, though I will still continue to work on my Barnacle Bay project, and upload my creations to the exchange.

I have just set up a wordpress blog at www.gcsims.com. Once I get some time, I will set everything up over there and make that the new showcase for my creations.

Happy Simming! xxx
You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
Post edited by GreenCats on

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2014
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • Options
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Here are maps of all the lots in BB.

BB2.png

BB1.png

BB3.png

BB4.png

BB5.png

BB7.png

BB6.png

BB8.png
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I want to start with a small and manageable area. Luckily, I found the perfect part of town.

At the bottom of Trawler Cliffs, there's a very remote little beach that I think would be perfect for the criminal career.

I've added the smuggler's cave from IP and I think it works well. The dodgy terrain painting isn't my fault - it comes with the world and you can't cover it up because it goes over the edge of the lot. Anyway, I managed to get it to line up with the mouth of the cave, so it's not all bad.

Screenshot.jpg"width=640"

What's even better is that just before you get to the beach there's a 25x25 that I think would make a great dive bar for all the smugglers to make contacts with one another.

There are two more lots in this part of town, which I'm going to use as homes for the sims who work in the criminal career. The clifftop 30x30 will be for my crime overlords Franco and Rhoda Bagley-Hernandez, and the 30x20 just before it will be for their underling Richie Radan, kind of like he's guarding their home.

CRIMINAL.png

I want these buildings in this part of town to have their own style, perhaps a little modern contemporary than some of the architecture, but not to be totally out of keeping with it...still to feel quite 'salty', if that makes sense, and definitely shingled.

Anyway, I found some inspiration pictures.

For Franco and Rhoda's house, Wave House in Welfeet, MA:

Cover-Shot-Wave_House__Addition_Aline-T1-Jrolf-e1323282856338.jpg"width=640"

Wave-House-small.40.jpg"width=640"

2.-Wave-House-Photo-by-Joy-Cuming.jpg"width=640"

For Richie's house (more pictures:

traditional-porch.jpg

For the dive bar, this converted barn by Lineal Inc.:

Dennis-Barn-View-of-front-and-porch.jpg
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    edited May 2014
    It is great that you have set up a thread for your Barnacle Bay makeover :) i will look forward to following your progress and seeing your updates! The inspiration pictures for Franco and Rhoda and Ritchies' houses and for the dive bar look great! :) You will enjoy doing your world makeover.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for your support, Rose! *hugs*

I started work on the run-down criminal dive bar :-)
    Screenshot-6.jpg"width=640"

Here's the main level. I haven't done the lighting properly yet. There's a room for storing stolen goods and growing herbs, and next to it is a small bar.
    Screenshot-4.jpg"width=640"

However, it's downstairs in the cellar that most of the action will happen. I'm going to add another bar, dance floor, and some black jack tables for illegal gambling. But it's just an empty room at the moment...
    Screenshot-5.jpg"width=640"

Upstairs is the manager's office. I'm going to make a secret room hidden by a bookcase where thieves on the run from the law can hide out.
    Screenshot-3.jpg"width=640"
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    lucyvp86 wrote:
    I'll be watching intently! This is the one world that I have never played in because I just don't like it all that much. Did you ever see the changes McRudd did to it? She added dive lots and house boat ports. I've done that myself before and even added hidden islands.

Love what you've done so far.

Thanks so much for stopping by! :mrgreen:

Barnacle Bay is actually my favourite world! :lol: It's certainly not the most well-made, but I just love that coastal New England vibe :-) I've been building houses for it for the last sixth months or so (you can see them here) and I really enjoy building in this style :-)

McRudd's version sounds great! I will check it out :-) I won't be adding any dive lots or ports to my version unfortunately because I think CAW is a bit beyond my capabilities, at least right now, and the in-game World Editor is broken.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Your dive bar WIP is looking great :) The texture of the exterior looks great..Great layout of the interior. It is great that you are going to a basement cellar with a bar, dance floor and gambling. Your plans for the levels go the build sound great!
  • Options
    SnowmoonSnowmoon Posts: 3,437 Member
    edited May 2014
    Such a project and inspiration. Good luck, doll.
    Find my builds under Evie_Snowmoon in the Gallery!
  • Options
    follyfootfollyfoot Posts: 3,450 Member
    edited May 2014
    Wonderful project Greencats I am very happy that you are sharing the progress with us. Looking forward to more pictures :D xox Folly
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for your support, Rose, Snow, & Folly :-)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    lucyvp86 wrote:
    Here's the thread to her save download.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/195/697925.page#11902136

She's removed the images showing what she's done and the house boat lots/dive spots were added in edit world. I did it to try and make BB more of a island paradise kind of world and eventually gave up on it. I think my main issue with that world has always been how much it looks like Sunset Valley to me. I don't know why it does but every time I open it, all I see is SV and then I think "so why not play there instead?" LOL.

So I'm really interested in what you are doing since you will be making it look different and better than the original.

OH...I also really can't stand that all these townies who don't have all that much money and live in middling houses are massive celebrities. Was it really necessary to make the entire town celebrities (or close to the entire town)?

Thank you - I'll have a browse!

And thanks again for your interest in my project :-)

I think the issue with BB is that the theme is really confused. But I do think it's a great world for building, and I love that so many of the lots have sea views.

I'm eliminating the whole pirate thing that they never properly committed to and just going for an affluent, New England coastal theme.

In my previous attempt I made houses like these:

FrontZoom.png"width=400"

OverFront.png"width=400"

SSLFront.png"width=400"

I'll be keeping a similar style this time round but personalizing the houses a lot more for my sims and also trying to be more organised about how I lay things out.

You're so right about the families living in houses that don't make sense for their income levels! One thing I will say for the BB premades though is that BB is probably the most ethnically diverse town, which I like :-)

I've made over a few of the premade families and will be building houses for them, as well as for my own sims.

The Annan family.
    AnnanHeads1.png"width=400"
    AnnanHeads2.png"width=400"

Nina and Dina Caliente.
    CalienteNina.png"width=400"
    CalienteDina.png"width=400"

Odessa Cross
    OdessaHead.png"width=400"

Thomas Quill (with the alien wife I gave him)
    QuillHeads.png"width=400"
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I think I'll use this border when I upload my new BB builds to the exchange :-)

shellborder.png
  • Options
    edited May 2014
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    lucyvp86 wrote:
    I just wanted to pop in and thank you.

Why?

Because after several months of nothing but game problems (started when I accidentally deleted my EA folder, then got some really bad CC, then unexplained crashes due to unknowingly corrupting my Pets Origin download, then upgrading to Windows 8.1 horribly breaking my game....on and on) that resulted in months of trouble shooting, hair pulling, deleting/reinstalling/deleting, just nonstop nonsense....I lost all desire to play this game.

Every single time I thought I wanted to play again? BAM! Something would go horribly wrong and I would have to start over again.

So I was at the point where I just wasn't interested in trying again, then I saw this thread. Saw your amazing townie makeovers and it got me starting to feel creative again. I actually opened BB and gutted it. Now I'm not really sure what to do with it but at least I've gotten inspired enough to try something. I've toyed with the idea of making it into a Jamaican inspired world but it doesn't really work. It does look exactly like Martha's Vineyard, doesn't it? Maybe I'll try something on the West Coast with it.

So thank you for this awesome thread...wish me luck....and can't wait to see what else you do.

Edit: I've lived on the East Coast for 15 years now and I recently made myself a house that is inspired by the ones you see in Virginia and South Carolina on the Outer Banks. Seeing your New England / Cape Cod / Martha's Vineyard style builds for this world? Amazing!! Makes me happy!

original.jpg"width=250"

I don't have better screenshots of it for some reason.....it's elevated with the garage on the bottom and the screens to protect from the sand. In my final version, I removed that dormer window on the top because I didn't like it. There are also decks on all levels in the back. Imagine it on a beach lot in Sunlit Tides, it's where I placed it but not where I built it.

Hi Lucy! What a lovely message :-)

I'm so happy you're enjoying your game again!

Your house looks really wonderful. I look forward to seeing more. Do you think you'll open a thread to keep track of your creations?

Btw, just in case you didn't know - when you're gutting an EA world, remember not to move premades out or delete lots with premade tombs on them because it can cause game corruption. I used the 'total annihilation' option available with Nraas Master Controller to avoid this and then did the same for dead sims.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    rosemow wrote:
    The border that you will use for your uploads to the exchange looks great! :) It will suit the world!

Thanks Rose!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I completed my criminal dive bar.

Here's a reminder of the exterior (I haven't changed anything here).
    Screenshot-7.jpg"width=640"

I fixed the lighting on the ground floor.
    Screenshot-11.jpg"width=640"

And here is the room for stolen goods.
    Screenshot-9.jpg"width=640"

Upstairs is a private area for the owner of the bar.
    Screenshot-12.jpg"width=640"
    Screenshot-3-1.jpg"width=640"

And down in the cellar is where the gambling happens.
    Screenshot-13.jpg"width=640"
    Screenshot-14.jpg"width=640"
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I'm moving two families into this area of the town, so I need to start thinking about their houses.

The first is the Bagley-Hernandez household - master thieves Franco (far right) and Rhoda (center), and their three daughters Deborah (far left), Bethany (right), and Tamika (left).

Screenshot-2.jpg"width=640"

They are all vampires but coffins aren't their style. They have almost 1,000,000 to spend but there's no way I'll use all that.

Franco and Rhoda's marriage is in trouble because of his evil and inappropriate traits, but they're staying together for the sake of the family business. They won't want to share a bedroom. Because Franco is evil I can stick him in the basement if necessary (the evil trait makes sims like the dark). They are both athletic so a pool or gym equipment would be a good idea. They have the immortal LTR, which will stop them burning in the sun, so there can be plenty of outdoor areas to the house. A study for their business dealings would also be desirable if there is space. Franco's favourite colour is green and Rhoda likes blue.

Deborah is the oldest of Franco and Rhoda's daughters. Tamika and Bethany, a little younger than her, are twins. They get on well and would be fine with sharing a room. I only have a 30x30 for their house, so that might be necessary. The girls don't get on well with their father. Deborah and Bethany are both rebellious and enjoy art and music. Tamika is very clever and wants to be a doctor when she grows up. Deborah likes yellow, Bethany likes pink, and Tamika likes blue.

The second household is comprised of newlyweds Richie and Morgana Kramer-Radan. They are both evil and ambitious, and, while Morgana is the brains of the operation, both equally determined to supplant their next door neighbours as heads of the local crime scene.

Screenshot-1.jpg"width=640"

They are both sociable so the house should be equipped to have parties. They have no immediate plans to have children. Morgana's favourite colour is spice berry and Richie's is black.

And here is a little reminder of the layout of this area.

CRIMINAL.png
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Here is what I have of the Bagley-Hernandez house so far :D

Screenshot-5-1.jpg"width=640"

Screenshot-6-1.jpg"width=640"
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    lucyvp86 wrote:
    Greencats - I did know to use the MC mod to do it. I've often cleansed towns and made my own townies based off the type of story I was trying to tell. I've made Lunar Lakes into one of the Star Wars worlds so that required removing the townies. This is the first time I've gutted a town though and removed everything to start over.

I placed one of my Sims and did the total annihilation with her in place. Then I went to edit town and removed her so the town is empty. i neglected to let the game run first to make sure everything took. Should I be worried? I remember that when I gutted Twinbrook, I got notifications of the ghosts being properly buried. I didn't get them this time because I forgot to let the game run after doing the wipe out.

Should I start over?

I don't know too much about this stuff but that sounds like the right thing to me.

I'm not sure how important removing the ghosts properly is. If you do want to start over, to get buried sims to be wiped from the game you can use these options on city hall:

Nraas>>Master Controller>>Sim>>Advanced>>Total Annihilation>>Type of Sim>>Dead>>OK

(in addition to removing the living sims the same way you did before)

I finally settled on a theme!! I'm doing Roanoke Island with a focus on Manteo which is very rich in pirate history. I plan on pushing that pirate theme to where it was meant to go instead of half complete but will attempt to do a more modern theme.

That's great! I googled it and it looks really pretty :-)

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE your families!!!

They are beautiful with great back stories. What skin did you use on them and are you using the HQ mod?

Thank you! I was just writing the stuff that would be relevant to designing their home so I can refer to it :-) You can read more about Morgana here and more about the vampire family here.

I use ESkin Natural default replacement with You Are Real skin map. No HQ mod. I tried it once but it was just a hassle having to take it in and out all the time.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    lucyvp86 wrote:
    I need that house! I must have that house! GIVE ME!!! :shock: :D

:D
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    The criminal dive bar looks great! :) Great exterior of it to suit the theme of the build. The room for stolen goods looks great! Nice upstairs owners area. The pattern and the colour of the walls looks great and suits the build. Nice touches to have the bottle and glasses on the table and a clock on the wall. The downstairs basement gambling level is great! Sims will enjoy going down there to have a drink and play some gambling games! The curved sofa seating in the corners are nice for sims to sit and relax on, whilst having a drink. The texture of the walls looks great.
    The Bagley-Hernandez house is looking great! :) Great roofing! :)
  • Options
    SnowmoonSnowmoon Posts: 3,437 Member
    edited May 2014
    I just love your little bar/criminal hide out.
    Find my builds under Evie_Snowmoon in the Gallery!
  • Options
    yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited May 2014
    WOW! What a lovely project! I love all your builds. So delightfully beachy! :D