Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I give up, show me the mods

For the 3rd time since the Island Paradise EP was released, I have a neighborhood that is dying out. Apparently my story progression is just not working anymore. I sent the kids to school and chose meet new friends only to get a pop up saying there are no kids to meet. I then went into edit mode and discovered that only 12 houses are occupied and they are all elderly sims.

So, since my game is now complete, I have decided to start using mods. I already have a mods folder with a packages folder and Resource.cfg file in it, because I have downloaded CC hair/clothes.

I just have a couple of questions. First, the Resouce.cfg file I have is from 2011, will this one work with current mods or is there one from 2013 I need to install? I have Into the Future and my game is updated to patch 1.63. Also, this is probably a dumb question, but, when I install the mods, do I just extract them to the packages folder with my CC? Or just into the mods folder? In other words, do I put them in “Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods” or in “Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages”?

Can someone give me links to some mods that are trust worthy? I definitely want the story progression mod and I also want the one that deletes abandoned cars and boats because I’m getting tired of going through my neighborhoods and manually deleting them all of the time to stop the lagging. If there are any other mods besides the two I mentioned that you would recommend, please let me know.

Comments

• Options
    teagirl19teagirl19 Posts: 148 New Member
    edited November 2013
    Hi Catmom

Your cfg file should be fine. Just unzip the mods and put them in the packages file unless otherwise stated on the site. Make sure you download the version that matches your patch level. You must return to the site and update the mods if there is another patch release.

Nraas is where you want to go for the SP mod. Overwatch is what you want for those cars. I'd also recommend Errortrap to keep your game cleaned up and I couldn't live without Master Controller. There are many others on the site that are fantastic also.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/

Mod the sims is another good site for mods you may be interested in.
    http://modthesims.info/

tea :)
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,998 Member
    edited November 2013
    I totally agree with Teagirl on her recommendations! Twallan's mods can be trusted.
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited November 2013
    I, too, agree with Teagirl. The mods she listed (Story Progression, Overwatch, Error Trap, and MasterController) are my go to mods. Nraas mods are very trustworthy.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited November 2013
    I also would go with NRaas Mods when I need to have story progression turned on because I've had nothing from EA's SP lately in my games and found it was turned off,but I really don't mind in my Winfield game though I want more than one household there because I'm more than willing to do story progression manually.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    ShadeDaystarShadeDaystar Posts: 995 Member
    edited November 2013
    I think it really depends on what you want added or changed in your game. I have most of the NRaas suite active, as well as Cooking and Ingredients Overhaul, "Better" gardening (which actually makes fruits more random, it's possible to get putrid fruit from perfect plants, with this mod), No Free Foods, No Buying From Fridge, several mods I'm not really allowed to talk about, extra spaces for tattoos, overhauls for mummies, werewolves, Kleptos, writing, painting, the hospital, and beekeeping, some unlockers for trait-only actions, a seed box, a writing pad, a mod called Nectar Combinatorics... and quite a few more. I also heavily customize the options, where I can. But you might not want this stuff in your game. Most of my mods are geared towards making the game more challenging, to be honest. I have few mods that let my Sims become rich overnight. Nor do I think I'd want them.
  • Options
    lovelylisaclovelylisac Posts: 1,291 Member
    edited November 2013
    I have Master Controller, Error Trap, Overwatch, Story Progression, Porter, Register, and the Careers mod. Register lets you get rid of paparazzi, which is awesome, and the Careers mod allows homeshooling, and a Housewife career. My game is now everything it should've been at release :D
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,380 Member
    edited November 2013
    Let me chime in here and say also, Twallan's mods are the only way to go for fixing the game. I had the same as you, towns with only elders and after the mod, there's kids everywhere. :D

It took me 4 hours to figure out how to get the mods to work in my computer and when I got my laptop, it took me less than 5 minutes. :lol:

I have probably half of the mods in NRaas' suite. Error Trap is good but a core mod and my computer did not like it. MC, SP and Overwatch with the Traveler mods are the ones that fixed my games.

Everything goes into the Package folder. The path I use is extract files here.../Libraries/Documents/Electronic Arts/Sims 3/Mods/Package. I use WinRAR. :-)

Good luck!
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    catmom1987catmom1987 Posts: 440 Member
    edited November 2013
    Thank you all so much for the links and suggestions. I think i will try story progression, overwatch and possibly master controller to start with and then later look into getting some of the other ones too.