Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you think TS4 Sims are gonna look like?

Comments

• Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited May 2013
    I'm hoping these Sims will look exactly as they look in create a sim like The Sims 2.

I've noticed even with great settings enabled. The Sims 3 sims look nowhere as excellent as Create a Sim. Only if you have a superb graphics card will you get a good result.

The reason why I like these new Sims - not only do they look cartoonish, fun, and expressive but they also do have much potential to look good in the world itself being not so graphically enhanced.
  • Options
    JadeleineJadeleine Posts: 2,140 Member
    edited May 2013
    Based on the first picture, I am worried what the hair is going to look like...I was hoping something like this, more realistic with nice details like this one, a sim I made in sims 2 (with CC):

8716001921_02af69a30f.jpg

Also I agree with everyone who spoke about the Sims Medieval. I love making sims in that game.

I do like the cartoonish look if the graphics are good and the sims look great in the game. I just want more natural light, more details and beautiful skintones. The character making in EVE online looks amazing, OMG if that was possible in sims it would be perfect! Actually...I am very exited to see how sims in the sims 4 look like in game. I hope they will give us more photos soon!
  • Options
    Cali_Pier92Cali_Pier92 Posts: 1,671 Member
    edited May 2013
    Jadeleine wrote:
    8716001921_02af69a30f.jpg
    smiley-shocked032.gif
    Wow, she looks even prettier than most TS3 Sims! She's a stunner.
  • Options
    Heatherb596Heatherb596 Posts: 94 Member
    edited May 2013
    Interesting thread. There are two particular things I'd like from Sims4.

I'd like to be able to make more changes in CAS such as height, build and better hairstyling (ie being able to tweak each style rather than change it completely).

Secondly I'd like an easier way to change neighbourhoods. I don't have the know-how to make my own and placing lots is really hard. I'd like a cross between Sims and SimCity so you can add and delete roads etc (please don't tell me you can already do this easily as I might cry :( )

Sorry just realised my second point doesn't really fit with this thread but I hope you'll allow me to mention it here :-o
  • Options
    KhasilooluvKhasilooluv Posts: 527 Member
    edited May 2013
    Would be awesome of the graphics could reach Final Fantasy level, but I don't think they look very "simish" if that makes since. I think the graphics will obviously increase from TS3 just as they have in the past 3 games... But I think the picture with the eyes is our new sim looks!
  • Options
    vllygrlvllygrl Posts: 31 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Conclue wrote:
    It's the little things like the poster above mentions about detail in animations that I think were sacrificed for the sake of an open world. Less detail means less work on the game, and since Sims3 is about the open world, it makes sense they couldn't advance but almost stepped the sims animations backwards a bit in favor of the open world.

These are the things that excite me about Sims 4. I really think Sims 4 will be that Sims game that brings the series back and gets us all obsessed like we were with Sims 1 or 2. I love Sims 3 now but it's still lacks that "magic" of the Sims 1 & 2. Ive always thought of Sims3 as a primitive version of the new age of Sims games. Like a stepping stone, similar to how Sims 1 evolved to 2. Opening the world and controlling a town changed the game A LOT. In doing so I feel like we stepped backwards in certain areas to move forward in others. Now that it's 2013 and tech and specs are way better than when Sims 3 was in early development I would assume Sims 4 is gonna take us to the next level of Simming, similar to how Sims 2 did. Ideally, I look at Sims 4 having the potential to be the next "Sims 2" where Sims 3 was a fancier Sims 1.

I hope I'm relaying this properly. LOL

This is why I'm stoked for a long time. I'm beyond excited for Monday. Island what? LOL (kidding, I'm really excited for IP)

Completely Absolutely 100% Agree! I've been thinking this for a long time.
  • Options
    KamioKamio Posts: 2,213 Member
    edited May 2013
    vllygrl wrote:
    Conclue wrote:
    It's the little things like the poster above mentions about detail in animations that I think were sacrificed for the sake of an open world. Less detail means less work on the game, and since Sims3 is about the open world, it makes sense they couldn't advance but almost stepped the sims animations backwards a bit in favor of the open world.

These are the things that excite me about Sims 4. I really think Sims 4 will be that Sims game that brings the series back and gets us all obsessed like we were with Sims 1 or 2. I love Sims 3 now but it's still lacks that "magic" of the Sims 1 & 2. Ive always thought of Sims3 as a primitive version of the new age of Sims games. Like a stepping stone, similar to how Sims 1 evolved to 2. Opening the world and controlling a town changed the game A LOT. In doing so I feel like we stepped backwards in certain areas to move forward in others. Now that it's 2013 and tech and specs are way better than when Sims 3 was in early development I would assume Sims 4 is gonna take us to the next level of Simming, similar to how Sims 2 did. Ideally, I look at Sims 4 having the potential to be the next "Sims 2" where Sims 3 was a fancier Sims 1.

I hope I'm relaying this properly. LOL

This is why I'm stoked for a long time. I'm beyond excited for Monday. Island what? LOL (kidding, I'm really excited for IP)

Completely Absolutely 100% Agree! I've been thinking this for a long time.

Me Three!
    Simming since 2001!! Origin ID: KamioMax[/center]
  • Options
    SadieStarSadieStar Posts: 880 New Member
    edited May 2013
    enkeli63 wrote:
    SadieStar wrote:
    Don't apologize! :D This is a great topic!! :D

I think they will look slightly better than the sims 3 medieval sims: Here's a couple for an example:

eniko-majesta.jpgI never played TSM but the sims look so much better imo than the ts3 ones which have this doughy, 'pudding faced' look lol.

However, I think Ts4 sims will look slightly improved from this even (better enough so people won't complain they look just like TSM sims, but not too advanced as say Final Fantasy characters since they have to make a game that appeals to/can be played by the masses. Most people do not have hardcore gaming computers to support such intricate graphics)

We will never see this in ts4 for example:

OMG, that's my sim! Eniko was the first custom sim I shared for Sims Medieval :mrgreen:

*sorry* I'm reading the thread and will make a real comment soon, I was just surprised someone used my creation as an example!

Wow enkeli63!!! :mrgreen:
    That's So cool!! Yeah, she was the prettiest TSM female sim that I saw in a google image search so I had to post her in this thread showing my hopes for Ts4 :D I had no idea that another simmer created her--how very awesome, she's so pretty!! :D
  • Options
    KamioKamio Posts: 2,213 Member
    edited May 2013
    I don't want your Sims to be to realistic. I like the look that they have gone for. So far I think that it is spot on.

I've seen some leaked photos...and it makes me think that the Sims 4 may be a little to cartoony for my taste.
    Simming since 2001!! Origin ID: KamioMax[/center]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Leaked Photos?! Oh please -- where?!
  • Options
    KayParfaitKayParfait Posts: 436 Member
    edited May 2013
    I can tell you right now, coming from someone who's been around this game for over 13 years, Sims will still have the "cartoon" look. Here's why:

If they go the route of making them look extremely realistic like some of the pictures posted here, then it will take away from the actual game play we know and love. The Sims is a very light-hearted, humorous, and casual game. The interactions within the game are a bit over the top because of the emotional exaggerations, and are more suited for a cartoon look because that's how cartoons are. It's also comparable to the reactions in an anime.

So, they will continue the trend of updating the graphics and look of Sims to be better than the previous generation, but it will definitely have a cartoon look for that reason. Otherwise it detracts from the premise of the game and what it's all about. And as with previous generations of the game, there will always be a modding community to satisfy those who want something with a little more realism.
  • Options
    enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    edited May 2013
    SadieStar wrote:
    enkeli63 wrote:
    SadieStar wrote:
    Don't apologize! :D This is a great topic!! :D

I think they will look slightly better than the sims 3 medieval sims: Here's a couple for an example:

eniko-majesta.jpgI never played TSM but the sims look so much better imo than the ts3 ones which have this doughy, 'pudding faced' look lol.

However, I think Ts4 sims will look slightly improved from this even (better enough so people won't complain they look just like TSM sims, but not too advanced as say Final Fantasy characters since they have to make a game that appeals to/can be played by the masses. Most people do not have hardcore gaming computers to support such intricate graphics)

We will never see this in ts4 for example:

OMG, that's my sim! Eniko was the first custom sim I shared for Sims Medieval :mrgreen:

*sorry* I'm reading the thread and will make a real comment soon, I was just surprised someone used my creation as an example!

Wow enkeli63!!! :mrgreen:
    That's So cool!! Yeah, she was the prettiest TSM female sim that I saw in a google image search so I had to post her in this thread showing my hopes for Ts4 :D I had no idea that another simmer created her--how very awesome, she's so pretty!! :D

Thanks, SadieStar! She was my first one and I got better at making them after that. But I did get a nice compliment from one of the TSM devs about Eniko :wink:

I think as long as they give us a lot of sliders and details, our sims will look awesome! I would not want the plastic faces our sims currently have, and I do want things like scars, blemishes, natural looking freckles and birthmarks to be possible and to be able to place anywhere on the sims' body. Things like scars should not be genetic, but freckles and birthmarks could be.

I want a lot of texture in skin, hair and clothing, even if they were to go with a cartoony look. I would prefer a more realistic look, but detail and texture is the most important for sure!

Edit for spelling.
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • Options
    lovcatlovcat Posts: 1,146 Member
    edited May 2013
    Anyone hear of the uncanny valley? It's a theory in robotics and 3d animation that the more life-like a model is the more we will be able to pick out its flaws. Basically if we have a hyper-realistic model that doesn't express realistic emotions or maybe blinks a little too fast or a little too slow. We'll naturally be a bit creeped out by it.

People want realistic looking sims. That's totally fine, just know that it isn't done often and usually not done well. Most games noted above with realistic models utilized mocap and a 3d scanner. Still things can seem a bit "off". (Not to mention it doesn't fair well for the level of customization we want.)

The Sims series prides itself on a stylized model with life-like reactions. It's easier for our brains to accept and process a model which walks and talks like a human but doesn't exactly look 100% human. Look at a Pixar movie.. now look at The Polar Express.

Would you rather be able to play with your sims endlessly? Or load up the game.. take one look at your family and get creeped out?

It's a real thing.. Here's a great article.

http://3d.about.com/od/3d-101-The-Basics/ss/What-Is-The-Uncanny-Valley.htm
  • Options
    DailycrumbDailycrumb Posts: 286 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Here's what I know: The people expecting top-of-the-line graphics are going to be seriously disappointed.

Here's what I suspect: Better than Sims 3, but not up to games like Mass Effect by a long shot.

the game will make up for it
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    vllygrl wrote:
    Leaked Photos?! Oh please -- where?!

Leaked photos being referred to are likely the UI mockup which is not representative of the actual game. Lemme go digging.

http://simsvip.com/2013/04/25/the-sims-4-pre-production-ui-design-screens/

Here ya go :)
  • Options
    darkraven1753darkraven1753 Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited May 2013
    Dailycrumb wrote:
    Here's what I know: The people expecting top-of-the-line graphics are going to be seriously disappointed.

Here's what I suspect: Better than Sims 3, but not up to games like Mass Effect by a long shot.

the game will make up for it

No, it won't. I have no desire to play with cartoon people no matter how good the gameplay is. If it looks like a children's game I won't be interested, because I use the game to build and get creative. I need more grown-up looking characters to play out my dramas. There's no excuse for Sims 4 to look childish when other new games are so beautiful. I have a good video card and I want to use it playing a life simulator, not some war game. :roll:
  • Options
    Dida_QuickswitchDida_Quickswitch Posts: 290 Member
    edited May 2013
    One thing is, that the more realistic an avatar look, the more perfect you expect it to be. Things that no one would even notices on a sim 3 AVI would look totally weird and out of place on an avi from Mass effect.

This is also the reason why many sports game and adventure games doesn't crack up the graphics on their avis a lot, because it would be hard to make them move natural in all situations, and the closer they get the more odd will it look if it's not near perfect.

No one can accuse Super Mario of having a very natural way of running and jumping, but still it looks ok. If a character from mass effect, or even the sims, would run and jump in a similar way it would look absolutely stupid and with all the situations and things the sims can do, making them move near perfect in all situation would take a LOT of extra work,
  • Options
    Dida_QuickswitchDida_Quickswitch Posts: 290 Member
    edited May 2013
    Edit: Double post.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lovcat wrote:
    Leaked photos being referred to are likely the UI mockup which is not representative of the actual game. Lemme go digging.

http://simsvip.com/2013/04/25/the-sims-4-pre-production-ui-design-screens/

Here ya go :)

The UI doesn't look that bad. I just hope those aren't the actual Sims and graphics. :( That furniture looks like it belongs in a toddler's plastic doll house.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The UI doesn't look that bad. I just hope those aren't the actual Sims and graphics. :( That furniture looks like it belongs in a toddler's plastic doll house.

As far as I heard it was made in flash and was pre-production so it's isn't what we're going to get.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    No one can accuse Mario of having a very natural way of running and jumping, but still it looks ok. If a character from mass effect, or even the sims, would run and jump in a similar way it would look absolutely stupid and with all the situations and things the sims can do, making them move near perfect in all situation would take a LOT of extra work,

It depends on what you use the game for. A lot of us aren't typical gamers and we use the Sims more as a creativity tool. We're in it to make beautiful characters and build and decorate beautiful lots. Some of us don't even care about the gameplay. That's one of the reasons The Sims has always been so successful - it pulls in those of us who would never have any interest in playing games like Mario.

• Options
    AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    edited May 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo9L8d-5x20

I long for character creation like that of EVE Online (see link above). I realize we probably won't get anything near that good but darn it, if they're going to expect us to basically buy a game we already have only without anywhere NEAR the content we're now used to... character creation better be a HUGE improvement and really knock our socks off!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thanks, Lovcat! I had actually seen those of the test UI, but was thinking there were some sim photos since the announcement. :(
  • Options
    PosterGirlPosterGirl Posts: 641 Member
    edited May 2013
    I don't think that i necessarily mind that they look like cartoons because the series always has had that type of style.

However, I just want them to look alot better than TS3 sims. They had to much of the clay look, their faces were big and wide and there wasn't much detail around the eyes.

I'm hoping for an overall more polished and detailed face/body this time around.
  • Options
    MacD13MacD13 Posts: 79 New Member
    edited May 2013
    All im hoping for is nothing thats hyper-realistic. Id like for them to be stylized a bit.