Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you think TS4 Sims are gonna look like?

Sorry for all the threads today but I just thought about this and I'm sooo anxious to find out. Let's discuss. :oops:

Here's a comparison of the first three reincarnations:

sims10large.jpg

Comments

• TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited May 2013
    Here's what I know: The people expecting top-of-the-line graphics are going to be seriously disappointed.

Here's what I suspect: Better than Sims 3, but not up to games like Mass Effect by a long shot.
  • adventfearadventfear Posts: 1,766 Member
    edited May 2013
    Here's what I know: The people expecting top-of-the-line graphics are going to be seriously disappointed.

Here's what I suspect: Better than Sims 3, but not up to games like Mass Effect by a long shot.

I agree. Though hopefully things like freckles and moles look better, and straps for clothes don't look like they're painted on.

In fact I hope clothes have layers.
  • SadieStarSadieStar Posts: 880 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Don't apologize! :D This is a great topic!! :D

I think they will look slightly better than the sims 3 medieval sims: Here's a couple for an example:

eniko-majesta.jpg

98-sims-medieval-cas.png

I never played TSM but the sims look so much better imo than the ts3 ones which have this doughy, 'pudding faced' look lol.

However, I think Ts4 sims will look slightly improved from this even (better enough so people won't complain they look just like TSM sims, but not too advanced as say Final Fantasy characters since they have to make a game that appeals to/can be played by the masses. Most people do not have hardcore gaming computers to support such intricate graphics)

We will never see this in ts4 for example:

lightning.png
  • AdiCohenAdiCohen Posts: 1,300 Member
    edited May 2013
    I kinda hope the Sims' graphics would be as detailed as Mass Effect, though I'd be surprised if they'd look that good, so my guess is something between The Sims Medieval and Mass Effect.
    edited May 2013
    SadieStar, I think you're exactly right on how they'll look. Only a bit better from Medieval, but still not anywhere close to top-of-the-line.
  • adventfearadventfear Posts: 1,766 Member
    edited May 2013
    However for all intents and purposes, it will probably end up LOOKING like a next-gen title based around what we got so far.

When the first Sims came out, the game looked like a PS1 game. Strangely enough, the PS1 was the then-current generation in 2000.

The Sims 2 roughly looked like a PS2 game, or something equivalent, because that's what was available at the time technology wise.

The Sims 3 kinda looks like a current gen game. Granted, one that was from 2009 because that's when it came out, but still it looks relatively like an old PS3 or X360 game.

By this logic, since TS4 IS coming out when the next-gen consoles are, it wouldn't surprise me in the bit that it looks relatively different.

Of course it could all be a coincidence.
  • SadieStarSadieStar Posts: 880 New Member
    edited May 2013
    SadieStar, I think you're exactly right on how they'll look. Only a bit better from Medieval, but still not anywhere close to top-of-the-line.

Thanks Tanya. I saw your response about that lol IGN article and as you said there is always a limit & with limits there will be disappointments.
    I would be perfectly content to have sims look a little better than the TSM ones--I really want improved A.I. over super advanced graphics that aren't even possible, imo that is what TS3 lacks the most.
  • kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited May 2013
    SadieStar wrote:
    Don't apologize! :D This is a great topic!! :D

I think they will look slightly better than the sims 3 medieval sims: Here's a couple for an example:

eniko-majesta.jpg

98-sims-medieval-cas.png

I never played TSM but the sims look so much better imo than the ts3 ones which have this doughy, 'pudding faced' look lol.

However, I think Ts4 sims will look slightly improved from this even (better enough so people won't complain they look just like TSM sims, but not too advanced as say Final Fantasy characters since they have to make a game that appeals to/can be played by the masses. Most people do not have hardcore gaming computers to support such intricate graphics)

We will never see this in ts4 for example:

lightning.png

Completly agree. I mean asking asking for graphics as good as Mass Effect is crazy! There's no way standard computers could run that. Well at least I can't. But for TS4 I'm planning on getting Alienware, so the graphics can be as high as they want. :mrgreen:
  • Cali_Pier92Cali_Pier92 Posts: 1,671 Member
    edited May 2013
    I personally didn't like the look of the Medieval Sims, I think I prefer the slightly cartoony look.
    edited May 2013
    I personally didn't like the look of the Medieval Sims, I think I prefer the slightly cartoony look.

We're assuming they go more realistic; a lot of games have been taking a less realistic look as well. So, it could be that the graphics are more advanced, but the sims look less realistic.
  • AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited May 2013
    I'm hoping for a more Aion look to the sims. Slightly cartoonish however more chisled features in appearance. Instead of shiny pudding effect im more looking for a bloom effect.

22.jpg

aion0015t.jpg

aionv.jpg

I do kind of feel that a little more customization for other features in the face would be helpful especially in the males part. I think everyone should have the ability to make a variety of looking people.
  • Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited May 2013
    It'd better look as good as Beyond: Two Souls. If it can be done on the PS3, they can do it with a PC:

ellen-page-beyond-e3-two-souls_zps01a7a5a5.jpg

Beyond-Two-Souls_zps523de12c.jpg

Ha ha, I'm just kidding. Though seriously, that game looks amazing. And not just because of the graphics.

Anyways, in all seriousness I'd like to see something at least as nice as Dragon Age. It's a four year old game that wasn't overly impressive graphically for the time, I think it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

8707861667_a9b7522726.jpg

8707841353_564feed225.jpg

8708973874_eb7ed66ec9.jpg
    34336_s.gif
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited May 2013
    I have no idea.
    The TS3 sims were totally unexpected. They were quite a departure from TS2 sims.

Perhaps like the Medieval sims.
    I just want anatomical details in the face like Aion. Look at these eyes.
    56.jpg

TS3 sims have very little detail around the eyes.
    That's the main reason why I went to replacement skins.

I would be fine with TS4 remaining like TS3 sims except with some key features.
    -More anatomical details in the skin
    -Better hair mesh and hair textures (animated if possible
    -More slider controls for facial features
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    edited May 2013
    I think the Sims from TSM are great. I'd love to see the Sims 4 sims look like this. Maybe a bit better.

That picture of the woman in the mass effect took me by surprise. I had to really look at it to realize it was animation. I'm so stuck in the Sims series I don't know what goes on in other gaming worlds... :shock: :shock: that's amazing how far along graphics in gaming have become.

The sims is a different breed of gaming so I don't expected high end graphics either, not for Sims 4. Sims 3 had graphical improvements (like better lighting, the open world, more detail) but it wasn't anything spectacular, but still nice and impressive. I think the biggest thing was the open world and the atmospheric effects of the sunset/sunrise, etc that made the game more realistic, but from a real graphics POV it didn't improve much at all. They went with opening the world up over graphics and I was cool with that. When I first got Sims 3 in 2011 I bought like a 120 dollar graphics card. For Sims 2 I had a $300+ card and I remember loading Sims 3 up for the first time and being like "um, these graphics look identical to Sims 2 to me :shock: :shock: But of course I noticed the fine details that were added but overall, the same as Sims 2, just didn't need such a strong graphics card to obtain the same level of graphics. (a faulty power supply broke the first one so I had to get another on sale 90 bucks which was better than the one from 2 years ago and I saw a little more improvement in quality, but I want something way better). So in retrospect, I feel like the basic graphics of the Sims 3 is nearly 10 years old considering Sims 2 was in development in the early years of the 2000's. With Sims 4 I hope that the graphics have gotten a nice good update.
    edited May 2013
    Conclue wrote:
    That picture of the woman in the mass effect took me by surprise. I had to really look at it to realize it was animation. I'm so stuck in the Sims series I don't know what goes on in other gaming worlds... :shock: :shock: that's amazing how far along graphics in gaming have become.

No one posted a picture from Mass Effect...? Do you mean the one SadieStar posted? That's Lightning from Final Fantasy XIII.

EDIT: This is from Mass Effect 2.

8709095904_f17a572427.jpg
    34336_s.gif
    edited May 2013
    Conclue wrote:

No one posted a picture from Mass Effect...? Do you mean the one SadieStar posted? That's Lightning from Final Fantasy XIII.

Oh sorry, misunderstood. Yeah must be the picture from FF that you referenced. Yes that's the one I was referring to. This is incredible as well. But see I don't know I'd enjoy sims that looked too realistic. I don't want creepy. Sims can already be creepy at times with the way they look at the screen. I don't need that. LOL
  • AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited May 2013
    I'm in agreement with you there Ck213. Though i do hope for the base game the lighting really is better too so that we can see that detail and not some off shading on the faces.

Also hoping some of the expressions being made aren't frozen or choppy but the animation for them go a bit smoother when playing them so that you don't get weird facial expressions that kind of creep you out.
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited May 2013
    Conclue wrote:
    Conclue wrote:

Oh sorry, misunderstood. Yeah must be the picture from FF that you referenced. Yes that's the one I was referring to. This is incredible as well. But see I don't know I'd enjoy sims that looked too realistic. I don't want creepy. Sims can already be creepy at times with the way they look at the screen. I don't need that. LOL

I hate that they don't look into the camera more often, and don't communicate with me at all. In TS2 you knew exactly what your sim wanted after you told him to do something, lol. They still crack me up when they do the "thumbs up" animation or shuffle off with the hanging head and sideway glance at me if I am making them rake the yard, lol. OMG, I so miss that in ts3. It's not creepy, it's what makes them believable! It makes me want to take care of them, nurture them. Please don't give them any ammunition to keep them as robots! I hate the behavior of ts3 sims!!! grrrrr
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited May 2013
    Add me into the list of people who want to avoid the too-realistic sims. I like my cartoon-y, cute sims. The realistic, human-like characters in game creep me out more than Slenderman ever can. Then again, I hope they integrate features for both somehow So the people who want that aren't left out.
    edited May 2013
    windweaver wrote:
    Conclue wrote:
    Conclue wrote:

I hate that they don't look into the camera more often, and don't communicate with me at all. In TS2 you knew exactly what your sim wanted after you told him to do something, lol. They still crack me up when they do the "thumbs up" animation or shuffle off with the hanging head and sideway glance at me if I am making them rake the yard, lol. OMG, I so miss that in ts3. It's not creepy, it's what makes them believable! It makes me want to take care of them, nurture them. Please don't give them any ammunition to keep them as robots! I hate the behavior of ts3 sims!!! grrrrr

Oh no this I agree with you on. I meant the detail realism in how they actually look. Not act, LOL!
    edited May 2013
    Ifreshyeh wrote:
    Add me into the list of people who want to avoid the too-realistic sims. I like my cartoon-y, cute sims. The realistic, human-like characters in game creep me out more than Slenderman ever can. Then again, I hope they integrate features for both somehow So the people who want that aren't left out.

I agree, I like the aesthetic we have now. Semi-realistic and cartoonish at the same time. For TS4, it would be nice to have them look somewhere between this:

8709382234_8640a7e137_z.jpg

8709394694_6f338425d5_z.jpg

and this:

8708272519_c79d0015a5_z.jpg

8709394546_fd00548e57_z.jpg
    34336_s.gif
  • SuicidalSpidersSuicidalSpiders Posts: 1,733 Member
    edited May 2013
    I don't care if they don't look super realistic, I just want to see textured skin. I hate how smooth the TS3 sims look. And I hate how shiny everything is. I think if they used more realistic lighting then a lot of that would be fixed. This was proved by TSM. Someone converted the skintones for TS3, but they didn't look nearly as good because the lighting is crap. Also, I want to be able to place moles, freckles, scars and tattoos like the fur in Pets.
  • niac1234niac1234 Posts: 6,735 Member
    edited May 2013
    I think they'll keep the cartoony look of the sims 3, but improve the quality.
  • zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    edited May 2013
    When sims 2 ended and I got sims 3, I wanted to recreate my favorite sim that I created in sims 2. And the only custom part on her were eyes.

I made a few attempts, but was Never happy with the results! That was frustrating.

Then when I got sims medieval I was thrilled to discover she was there all along! If they look like medieval , I'm happy! To me sims medieval look a lot like the faces in sims 2.

I'm not super concerned about ultra advanced and super realistic graphics. Although I Prefer realistic. I don't mind realistic - cartoony. But I'm not really into my sims faces looking like elves or fairies like some of the faces posted here.

I like the way the sims 2 look SO much better than the sims 3 doughy look. I Have tried . I've even seen a few attractive sims 3 sims. I thought there Must be some trick or talent to creating them.

And actually my very last sims 3 attempt I almost though "Hey, maybe just maybe I'm getting it!". She looked better in CAS than in game though. But she still isn't too bad.

I have a theory that most sims 3 sims look the way they do because you have to Really be talented and work with the sliders and such, and sims 2 was simpler but easier to work with? Not sure though.

All I know is as soon as I get to CAS and load a sim or face, it takes almost super human control! All I have to do is change the nose the mouth the eyes just a little and voila! - Something hideous! :lol:
  • StarunaStaruna Posts: 417 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I love the pictures SadieStar posted of The Sims Medieval. I would be very happy if they looked like that. They're realistic, but still cartoon-like. As long as it's not in the same style of The Sims Social, I'll be happy.