Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Zoo U Course 8: Landscaping Start to Finish! Guest Professor:itguyinsc! Link to lesson in post one!

Comments

• Options
    itguyinscitguyinsc Posts: 5,765 Member
    edited April 2013
    Rayshizzie....

I don't know your previous level of experience, but I think you have done very well. Regarding the garden, I think I used the grid lines in build mode to place the plants. Also, I wanted to suggest "painting" under each tree to give an authentic appearance.

TIP: Also, make sure you have painted under your plants. You can use the softest setting if you wish. It will add depth to the appearance also.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    jenny0786jenny0786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    edited April 2013
    My pond. The only willow tree I could find was HUGE! So I used a store tree

8y6cz6.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    jenny0786 wrote:
    My pond. The only willow tree I could find was HUGE! So I used a store tree

8y6cz6.jpg

I understand, Jenny. Sometimes I have to place 5 or 6 trees on the lot. Then, I choose the size that works best for me. It took me a few tries to get the smallest Willow tree.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    RayshizzieRayshizzie Posts: 2,650 Member
    edited April 2013
    itguyinsc wrote:
    Rayshizzie....

I don't know your previous level of experience, but I think you have done very well. Regarding the garden, I think I used the grid lines in build mode to place the plants. Also, I wanted to suggest "painting" under each tree to give an authentic appearance.

TIP: Also, make sure you have painted under your plants. You can use the softest setting if you wish. It will add depth to the appearance also.

Yeah I have very little experience in building..I enjoy it, I just wish i was better at it :-) Which is why I'm really greatful for discovering Zoo U! I did realize about adding the paint under trees, I just forget to do that sometimes lol. Thank you so much for doing this course! It was very helpful and I'm looking forward to attending more courses in the future! I'll take a look at the other link you provided some time tonight. I have to get going but it's been really fun and very helpful! Thanks again! Good luck to the rest!
  • Options
    RayshizzieRayshizzie Posts: 2,650 Member
    edited April 2013
    @Jenny, your pond looks beautiful! I love how oyu added the lillypads and fountain! Very nice :D
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    grade-a.jpg"width=400"

Thanks for joining us, Rayshizzie! :)

*waves bye*
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited April 2013
    Hi, Itsy! Hi, Classmates!

I apologize everyone! I thought I was showing up for class 20 minutes early, but I guess I goofed up the time zone thing. I thought this was an hour ahead of me and I think now that it must be an hour BEHIND me. I will see if I can't catch up!

Looks like Itsy did great without any input from me, so I guess it didn't hurt anything, but it was my intention to BE here.

Zoo
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Hi, Itsy! Hi, Classmates!

I apologize everyone! I thought I was showing up for class 20 minutes early, but I guess I goofed up the time zone thing. I thought this was an hour ahead of me and I think now that it must be an hour BEHIND me. I will see if I can't catch up!

Looks like Itsy did great without any input from me, so I guess it didn't hurt anything, but it was my intention to BE here.

Zoo

*waves hello* (Then tackle hugs)
    You have a brilliant group of students today.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Some of you may be ready for this step:

2vaftersoftening_zps7b3a34e8.png?t=1365098214"width=400"

2wafterrightside_zps5d154718.png?t=1365098214"width=400"

CORRECTION: You ONLY need to hold down the Alt key when placing plants.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    AquacattAquacatt Posts: 223 Member
    edited April 2013
    Zoo: I'm super slow, still working on the pond. :P

In answer to your question earlier about new course topics, I vote for all of the above. Even if someone is experienced in some areas, there is always someone with a new tip!! I'm currently also working through the lesson right before this one. Guess I'll work my way backward thru all the courses. :D
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    OMG! Itsy, clearly I KNEW how talented you are or I wouldn't have been after you for so long to teach a landscaping class, but when I looked back at all those amazing builds in you "Examples" slide show... WOW is all I can say!

I know I've seen all of them before, I'm sure I have all of them Rec'd and most of them in my Favorites and a good number of them downloaded and installed in my game, but something about seeing them all together like that just really brought home how great you are at this (building and decorating as well as gorgeous, gorgeous landscaping).

Your WIP build is also JUST amazing and that tiered landscaping is such a challenge. It is really hard to make it look like a real house and yours is already clearly headed that way.

If you WANTED to come back with an advanced lesson where students had to do tiered landscaping, then we would love to have you back. Just sayin'!

TO FELLOW STUDENTS:
    Make sure you pay particular attention to the Haunted Heights Gothic Manor build in Itsy's examples. She has done one of (I think) the hardest things in landscaping, she has created a huge hill on her lot and made it look absolutely in place and "real" when in a world. I think this is the most impressive of all her very impressive examples.
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    OMG! Itsy, clearly I KNEW how talented you are or I wouldn't have been after you for so long to teach a landscaping class, but when I looked back at all those amazing builds in you "Examples" slide show... WOW is all I can say!

blushing :oops:

I'd be happy to try another class in the future. :)
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Rayshizzie wrote:
    @Jenny, your pond looks beautiful! I love how you added the lillypads and fountain! Very nice :D

Thank you Rayshizzie :D

Here is another view; I have the pond, willow, side flowers and rocks and fire pit done; I am going to be adding the plum trees and garden and the tree in the front in a minute.

2utqi52.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Your doing GREAT, Jenny!
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I'm going to zip into game to work on my lesson. Back later!
    oow785m
  • Options
    nerdy3000nerdy3000 Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited April 2013
    Agh! Disaster! I've missed the lesson! :cry:
    SORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRY :cry:
    I'll do it at the next available opportunity I have. I'm very sorry to have missed it! :(
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    nerdy3000 wrote:
    Agh! Disaster! I've missed the lesson! :cry:
    SORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRY :cry:
    I'll do it at the next available opportunity I have. I'm very sorry to have missed it! :(

No problem. You should be able to use the Slideshow with no trouble.

http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/scdesigner2003/story/13649
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    priscapuppriscapup Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited April 2013
    Gah! I was trying to take pictures and *BUZZZZZ*

I jumped a few feet in the air! I have this arm band that buzzes me to let me know I've been sitting still too long... wasn't prepared for that! :lol:
  • Options
    Nirar22Nirar22 Posts: 172 Member
    edited April 2013
    Thank you hpsimfan! :)

@Itsy--thanks! I looked through your builds and may I say you do amazing work! Wow! I second the request for a return class, lol Though the thought of tiered landscaping makes me break out in hives, lol This little bit was giving me grief, I hate getting those weird little bits of angled ground that I can do nothing with. I wish it would soften more, but it won't. *grumbles* The back garden part I grumbled at a lot! lol :P

@Rayshizzie---looks good!

@Jenny---Looks great and I like the fountains in your pond too.

What I have so far of the little area by the fire pit, and true to form---lots of plants. Ha! :P

35859196.jpg
    The Stone Kings--my Random Royal Kingdom Challenge

Full of Beans--a Perfect Genetics, Midnight Sun, ISBI rolled into one challenge
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Nirar...

It has a nice cottage feel. Beautiful.

When you get those angled parts that frustrate you, try removing any items around it, "soften" the area, then, replace the moved items back. Holding down the Alt key should help.

Best of luck.

PS - Don't stress over landscaping. In the beginning, I would try to mimic other's landscaping that I found attractive until I was more comfortable with my own style.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    priscapuppriscapup Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited April 2013
    I'll take some pictures in the daylight in a minute, but here is a night time overview.

Screenshot-5_zpsc254ae58.jpg"width=640""height=450"

And I caught some moonlight on my pond! :mrgreen:
    Screenshot-7_zps02e59c6b.jpg"width=640""height=450"

Everyone's work is looking fantastic!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    My garden. I am not sure why my trees look like that. That is what they looked like when I got them from the buyDeBug section.

2lsfqcy.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Jenny, I'm not familiar with that. Is that an apple tree?

Also, don't forget to "paint" the dirt to fill your garden. :)
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    One is an apple, one is a lime and one is a banana tree.

I forgot to do that. Doing that right now. I need to burn these things into my brain so I do not forget.
  • Options
    AquacattAquacatt Posts: 223 Member
    edited April 2013
    It looks like the trees in winter. My town must be in "fall" mode, because my fruit trees have bright orange leaves.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top