Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

*Laptop* Graphics Card Information Zone [CALLING LAPTOP SIMMERS FOR A SURVEY + LAPTOP HELP HERE]

Comments

• Options
    Titanic1Titanic1 Posts: 95 Member
    edited April 2013
    Just thought i let you know i havn't forgotten to upload pics of my game and the settings. i uploaded them to google and i guess they no longer allow links to pictures :( weird.

Also, not sure if anyone has said this before or not but i found out if you put your laptop on high performance the game runs better so i don't need that cheat for advanced rendering HOWEVER you need to take your laptop battery out..that the downside to this...or replace the battery a lot since high perfprmance drains the battery faster. not sure how gast on my laptop. Anyway, thought i share that. Hopefully i get pictures up soon :D
  • Options
    aimeeastaimeeast Posts: 65 Member
    edited April 2013
    Very interesting, hmmm :wink:[/quote]
    Yes, you'd need to have it set to "high performance", was it set to "power saving" when you went to check? Yes, after you run your game with the saved changes in your control panel, you should see improved performance within your game, the deviceconfig.log should then also mentioning your AMD graphics (this change will show after you've actually played your game). Another way to double check is to see how much FPS your game is running on (type "fps on" in the cheat command to see flicking numbers on the top right corner). If you mention the average here (ex: 23-35 fps), and then list your game settings, I'd be able to confirm if you're running your AMD. [/quote]

Hmm, deviceconfig.log still doesn't mention AMD which is strange? it only mentions the Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000. Okay so my fps is 90-100 average and my graphic settings are:

edgescrolling = 0

winterenabled = 1

videocapturesound = 0

agingstagelengthyoungadult = 21

agingstagelengthdogelder = 0

springlength = 7

terrainquality = 1

enableintrotutorial = 0

hailenabled = 1

voicelevel = 255

edgescrollingwarning = 0

soundfxlevel = 255

agingstagelengthtoddler = 7

edgesmoothing = 2

twelvehourclock = 0

agingstagelengthadult = 21

winterlength = 7

agingstagelengthhorseadult = 0

petautonomylevel = 2

showplacementgrid = 0

agingstagelengthkitten = 0

enabletutorial = 0

agingstagelengthpuppy = 0

falllength = 7

disableautonomyforselectedsim = 0

visualeffects = 2

suppressopportunitydialogswarningproducts = 192511

ambientlevel = 255

receiveddevgift = 0

lunarcyclelength = 3

nummaxactivelotoptions = 6

enablepets = 1

snowenabled = 1

agingstagelengthdogadult = 0

musiclevel = 255

springenabled = 1

enableaging = 1

audioquality = 3

focusmute = 1

agingstagelengthcatadult = 0

iscelcius = 1

maxactivelots = 1

objecthiding = 1

resolution = 1024 768 60

receiveconnecttns = 1

requireloginbeforeload = 0

simquality = 3

inverthorizontalrotation = 0

autonomylevel = 2

fallenabled = 1

invertverticalrotation = 0

lightingquality = 2

agingstagelengthhorseelder = 0

enabletombresets = 1

videocapturehideui = 1

soundfxmute = 0

enablelunarcycle = 1

enablefairies = 0

rainenabled = 1

videocapturesize = 1

fullscreen = 1

enablevampires = 0

agingstagelengthelder = 17

agingstagelengthfoal = 0

aspectratio = 0

enablelunarphase = 0

aginginterval = 2

supressopportunitydialogs = 0

agingstagelengthbaby = 3

videocapturequality = 2

enablewitches = 0

videocapturetime = 60

treequality = 2

lastdevice = 0;8086;0166;1140

musicmute = 0

lunarphaselength = 0

agingstagelengthchild = 7

enablememories = 2

advancedrendering = 1

pseudoresolution = 0,0

enableingamestore = 0

audiooutputmode = 1

enablestoryprogression = 1

summerlength = 7

drawdistance = 2

summerenabled = 1

postfilterflags = 0

fogenabled = 1

forcesquarepixels = 1

enablewerewolves = 0

simwhileminimized = 0

enableoptoutceleb = 0

agingstagelengthcatelder = 0

agingstagelengthteen = 14

generalreflections = 1

enabletelemetry = 1

enablehorses = 1

ambientmute = 0

voicemute = 0

enablecelebrities = 0

texturequality = 3

animationsmoothing = 1
  • Options
    nattynatty Posts: 74 Member
    edited July 2013
    After getting my laptop and trying it out here are my results:

1. What is you graphics card (and amount of memory, if integrated, please mention)?
    -I have two cards, but play with a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 670M 1.5 GB
    2. What expansion packs do you have installed?
    -All, but I don't have WA or AMB installed anymore
    3. What stuff packs do you have installed?
    -All, minus FL, KPST, and 70s, 80s, 90s stuff
    4. What mods do you have installed?
    -A lighting mod, no zombies mod, default skintone mod, no intro, no sparkles, 11 nraas mods, only important memories mod, and some hair/clothes that's in this folder.
    5. How much custom content do you have installed (please right-click Mods folder, Properties, and look at the total size)?
    -149 MB in the mods folder, and 1.25 MB in my downloads (store content)
    6. What is the FPS (please type in "fps on" in the game cheat console to find an average number on the top right corner)?
    -It goes from 30-100, usually stays around 50-80
    7. Please post a screenshot of your game settings (use print screen key during gameplay then paste into Paint).
    settings.png
    8. In game screen shots are welcome!
    Screenshot-1.jpg
    Screenshot-21.jpg
    Screenshot-2-2.jpg
    Screenshot-15-2.jpg
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    summermistx3summermistx3 Posts: 1,537 Member
    edited April 2013
    Titanic1 wrote:
    Just thought i let you know i havn't forgotten to upload pics of my game and the settings. i uploaded them to google and i guess they no longer allow links to pictures :( weird.

Also, not sure if anyone has said this before or not but i found out if you put your laptop on high performance the game runs better so i don't need that cheat for advanced rendering HOWEVER you need to take your laptop battery out..that the downside to this...or replace the battery a lot since high perfprmance drains the battery faster. not sure how gast on my laptop. Anyway, thought i share that. Hopefully i get pictures up soon :D
    That's great to hear! Thanks for your helpful input. You can also try photobucket.com.
    aimeeast wrote:
    Very interesting, hmmm :wink:
    Yes, you'd need to have it set to "high performance", was it set to "power saving" when you went to check? Yes, after you run your game with the saved changes in your control panel, you should see improved performance within your game, the deviceconfig.log should then also mentioning your AMD graphics (this change will show after you've actually played your game). Another way to double check is to see how much FPS your game is running on (type "fps on" in the cheat command to see flicking numbers on the top right corner). If you mention the average here (ex: 23-35 fps), and then list your game settings, I'd be able to confirm if you're running your AMD.
    Hmm, deviceconfig.log still doesn't mention AMD which is strange? it only mentions the Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000. Okay so my fps is 90-100 average and my graphic settings are:
    I'm not really sure how the deviceconfig.log works but it seems like your game is now using your AMD graphics card. And 90-100 FPS means you can definitely increase many of your slider qualities to "medium" or "high" to have visually nicer looking game. You can increase the settings until you reach an average of 30 FPS. If it goes lower than that, your game might start lagging.
    natty wrote:
    Thank you for taking the time to do the survey! :) I'm very surprised your 670M isn't on all high settings with the game? When you look at my 2nd post, even the 660M has all its setting on high, running with 60+ FPS. That's a bit odd :?
  • Options
    nattynatty Posts: 74 Member
    edited April 2013
    natty wrote:
    Thank you for taking the time to do the survey! :) I'm very surprised your 670M isn't on all high settings with the game? When you look at my 2nd post, even the 660M has all its setting on high, running with 60+ FPS. That's a bit odd :?

Yeah, I'm still figuring things out with the settings. It actually had over a 100 at some point & in the 90s. Gotta go back in and see what's up. But it's not the only game I'm using the card with, if that has anything to do with that. If not...oh well lol I'm just glad it doesn't lag :)

Edit: Okay, I'm in game and now it's at 140. It ranges from 90-140 most of the time. Not sure why at one point it was at 30.
  • Options
    mypugrocks3mypugrocks3 Posts: 184 Member
    edited April 2013
    im looking for a pc laptop for just playing the sims,my mac used to play it but it stopped but im just looking for a laptop to play the sims 3 any suggestions? ohh and expansion packs like seasons and university, generations and random stuff pacs maybe?
  • Options
    knh330knh330 Posts: 1,593 Member
    edited April 2013
    knh330 wrote:
    When I typed in fps on, the numbers go from like 56 to 60
    Lol, your brother is hilarious. 56-60 FPS is pretty good range. Do you mind telling me what your game settings are, like texture detail, sim detail, tree detail, etc. I'm sure you'll be able to increase a few things.
    I think I'm just delusional. I watched a video of someone playing Sims 3, and the graphics look the same as mine. I guess they just look weird because I haven't played in awhile... :oops:
  • Options
    ajloverajlover Posts: 4
    edited April 2013
    I'm a little oblivious when it comes to graphics cards and computer specs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312431

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314016

I've been looking for a computer for the sims forever and have had no luck.. plz help.. :roll:
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    natty wrote:
    natty wrote:
    Yeah, I'm still figuring things out with the settings. It actually had over a 100 at some point & in the 90s. Gotta go back in and see what's up. But it's not the only game I'm using the card with, if that has anything to do with that. If not...oh well lol I'm just glad it doesn't lag :)

Edit: Okay, I'm in game and now it's at 140. It ranges from 90-140 most of the time. Not sure why at one point it was at 30.
    Oh ok! That range sounds so much more normal. No, no, other games shouldn't really affect your gameplay for Sims 3 unless you have gigabytes of another game installed on your laptop :P I just wanted to make sure you get full performance out of your graphics card! As one would say, "Ain't nobody got time for low-medium settings!"
    im looking for a pc laptop for just playing the sims,my mac used to play it but it stopped but im just looking for a laptop to play the sims 3 any suggestions? ohh and expansion packs like seasons and university, generations and random stuff pacs maybe?
    Hello there :) I will glady be able to help as soon as you provide your budget and if you'll be considering to purchase online or in-store. Any other additional needs mentioned will help.
    knh330 wrote:
    knh330 wrote:
    When I typed in fps on, the numbers go from like 56 to 60
    Lol, your brother is hilarious. 56-60 FPS is pretty good range. Do you mind telling me what your game settings are, like texture detail, sim detail, tree detail, etc. I'm sure you'll be able to increase a few things.
    I think I'm just delusional. I watched a video of someone playing Sims 3, and the graphics look the same as mine. I guess they just look weird because I haven't played in awhile... :oops:
    It's okay *pat pat*, the graphics might seem funny after so long. You're welcome to post pictures of your game so we can take a look to see if anything fishy is going on with your graphics.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    ajlover wrote:
    I'm a little oblivious when it comes to graphics cards and computer specs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312431

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314016

I've been looking for a computer for the sims forever and have had no luck.. plz help.. :roll:
    Both laptops are nice choices. Here's the thing:
    1st laptop:
    - 17.3"
    - 1600 x 900 resolution
    - Intel Core i5-3230M (up to 3.2 GHz; they made an error)
    - NVIDIA Geforce GT 635M 2GB
    - 6GB RAM

2nd laptop:
    - 15.6"
    - 1366 x 768 resolution
    - Intel Core i5-3230M (up to 3.2 GHz)
    - NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M 2GB
    - 4GB RAM

The 730M is better than the 635M. I would go with the second laptop. It may have 4GB of RAM, but it's cheap to upgrade as you can buy another 4GB of memory stick to get a total of 8GB for around $30,maybe even lesser if it's on sale. You can always upgrade RAM in a laptop, but you can't ever upgrade the graphics card. Plus 4GB should be sufficient for now. A simmer on this thead has also gave a thorough review on how well the 635M is just to give you an idea of how your game might run with it.
  • Options
    knh330knh330 Posts: 1,593 Member
    edited April 2013
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

I just thought the plants looked funny, like kind of flat. Like, whenever I was in Camera Man Mode and turned the camera diagonally, the leaves would kind of turn with th camera, I guess. I thought that was wierd, but when I watched a video about camera man mode, the guy playing had the same thing happen, so I guess it's normal. Some of the plants look kind of fake.=, but I'll get used to it. I think the sims look fine :)
  • Options
    mypugrocks3mypugrocks3 Posts: 184 Member
    edited April 2013
    My budget is around 300 maybe 400 and preferably in-store.But I'm using it just for the sims 3 nothing else haha kind of sound like addict here. Oh hi would be downloading store content to
  • Options
    faabulousfaabulous Posts: 257 New Member
    edited April 2013
    hiya summermistx3, i recently purchased the laptop you advised for me, the acer aspire one and ive encountered a problem. ive loaded all my sim games, cc, and updated origin and patches, and my game will load fine until it gets to the screen where you pick which world to choose then it suddenly come up with something like 'no disk found please install the sims 3 seasons' which is already in there. is hasn't seemed to of recognised the disk even though its the season's disk i put in the machine?

can you help with this issue?
  • Options
    VanjokVanjok Posts: 3
    edited April 2013
    Vanjok wrote:
    Hi all. I am looking to buy a laptop that can play the sims 3 (Plus all expansion and stuff packs - minus Katy Perry and a few of the worlds) on high settings. Would the following laptop be able to do that?

Asus N76VZ
    Microsoft Windows 8
    Intel Core i7 3630QM 2.4GHz Quad Core Processor (3.4GHz Turbo)
    Mobile Intel HM76 Express Chipset
    nVidia GeForce GT650M, 4GB DDR3 VRAM
    16GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory
    1TB 5400rpm Hard Drive (Upgradeable to up 2 x 1TB hard drive or 2 x 480GB SSD)
    17.3" FHD LED (1920x1080)
    HDMI

Yes, that laptop will do the job nicely! :)

Thanks for confirming. I bit the bullet and ordered the laptop yesterday. I'll let you know how I go :)
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited April 2013
    I've applied for a credit card (OH NO!!!) so I'm looking at possibly pushing up towards £500 now (pounds). I really want to be able to play the game on high settings because I've been making do with low settings for so long it would be a real treat to be able to see the full beauty of the worlds!!!

Is there much difference between these two?

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenovo_IdeaPad_Z370_in_Pink_1105897.html

http://www.ebuyer.com/4*****-acer-aspire-v3-laptop-nx-rzjek-008

The second has a better graphics card, I think, but is over £100 more! The processor looks about the same.
    Yes! There's a huge difference between the two, the 410M in the Lenovo would've only let you play on medium settings while the 630M in the Acer would've let you play on medium-high settings.

I've found these laptops that'll sure to give you better performance within £500:
    Laptop 1:
    - i5-3230M (up to 3.2 GHz)
    - 8GB RAM
    - NVIDIA GT 635M 2GB (635M is significantly better than 630M)
    - £499.97 (be sure to do the cash back thing if you consider this laptop) + free delivery

Laptop 2:
    - i5-3317UM (up to 2.6GHz)
    - 10GB RAM
    - NVIDIA GT 640M 1GB (significantly better than the 635M; better graphics card out of all of these, will guarantee you playing on all high settings)
    - £499.97 (no cash back trouble) + free delivery

As you can see, the 1st one offers a better processor than the 2nd while the 2nd offers a better graphics card than the first. I would chose better graphics card over processor as the 2nd one at least meets the requirements for the processor. But that's entirely up to you. We have someone whose bought a laptop w/ 635M & i5-3317UM that's posted pictures and included info.

summermistx3, my card finally came HOORAY! I was going to get the first one you suggested, the 635M one (because I feel nervous about getting a processor with a base speed less than 2.4 ghz) but the cashback thing has ended. :cry:

I was thinking about possibly stretching my budget to get it anyway but thought I'd shop around again first and found one that looks quite good and I like but I wanted to check with you first incase there was some hidden monster that I'd overlooked:

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_V3-571G_1337250.html

- Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM Quad Core up to 3.4ghz
    - 6GB RAM
    - NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640M with 2GB Dedicated Memory
    - £549.97

It looks great because it has both the processor speed and the 640m processor you preffered. WANT! Is it good?

If not, I've seen another that looks similar to the one I was going to get with the 635M graphics card for a similar price. But you've got me wanting that better card! :XD: It's almost £100 cheaper though.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ASUS_U32VJ-RO014H_1287208.html

- Intel® Core™ i5-3210M Dual Core up to 3.1ghz
    - 4GB RAM
    - NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 635M with 2GB DDR Dedicated Memory
    - £469.97

Thank you again for all your help! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it! :D
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    faabulous wrote:
    hiya summermistx3, i recently purchased the laptop you advised for me, the acer aspire one and ive encountered a problem. ive loaded all my sim games, cc, and updated origin and patches, and my game will load fine until it gets to the screen where you pick which world to choose then it suddenly come up with something like 'no disk found please install the sims 3 seasons' which is already in there. is hasn't seemed to of recognised the disk even though its the season's disk i put in the machine?

faabulous, I know you directed this at summermistx3 but I spotted it and think I can help. :D

If you have registered your games you should be able to sign in to origin and get the digital download version. Just uninstall the expansion pack that was released latest (for me it would be uni as that was most recently released) and then install it via origin instead. You won't need a disk to play.

Hope that helps! :D
  • Options
    Illyianna2005Illyianna2005 Posts: 895 Member
    edited April 2013
    mypugrocks3,

If your budget is 300 to 400 I would look at these Laptops

HP G7-2251DX - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834256857

ASUS K55N-DS81 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230960

Be sure to read the Feedback on them, 4 eggs and up is good.

Asus - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230960

HP Pavilion - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834256928

ASUS K55 Series - I have this one - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230909

Samsug - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131444R

- All of these will run Sims 3 well and on all High Settings, also refurbished means it was sent back, they fixed it, possibly upgraded it, tested it and put it back up for sale at a lower price as it was previously owned.

I recently took back my Laptop that had the Nvidia 635M Vidi card and bought this Laptop outright http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230909 for the 7640G Vidi Card (I'll post images in a bit) right now all my Sims 3 settings are on High but Tree Detail and Mirror and Reflections.

Yes it is refurbished but that not a big deal, mine is also refurbished and it runs great. Now the 4GB of Ram runs Sims 3 but I like 6 to 8 GB of Ram so I just ordered another stick of 4GB Ram for $30 to put in my new Laptop. It time because I want to I'll order a 7200 RPM HD and it will run better then my Nvidia 635M did, for the price in Canada that's a sweet deal.

It's a great Laptop for the price and I think it's Free Shipping in the US. Also before I bought my Laptop I read the reviews and they were good, I also did research as well and am most happy with my purchase.

Sure a new Laptop be great but to find one with decent specs to run Sims 3 would be more then $374.00.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Cinderellimouse,

- 6GB RAM
    - £549.97

This is great Laptop, your screen size is good, 6GB of Ram will run Sims 3 Great, the 640M is a good card and i7 offers great processing speed. If you want to go that extra bit then the 640M is decent, it should let you have your settings on Medium to High.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Cinderellimouse,

- 6GB RAM
    - £549.97

This is great Laptop, your screen size is good, 6GB of Ram will run Sims 3 Great, the 640M is a good card and i7 offers great processing speed. If you want to go that extra bit then the 640M is decent, it should let you have your settings on Medium to High.

:D:D:D

Thank you!!! You actually answered the question I didn't ask but was concerned about! :lol: I didn't know what would be a good screen size, so I was worried it might have a really awkward sized screen! :XD:

Thank you Illyianna2005 and summermistx3 for all your help! <3 *HUGE HUGS* <3

I'll be sure to post some screens when I'm all set up. :D
  • Options
    blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited April 2013
    @summermistx3,

I finally had a few hours to mess around with my settings and got everything figured out... about time, eh? Had my nVidia card set everywhere except DeviceConfig.log file. Card was too new and wasn't being picked up there. Had to go into the Program Files and edit the GraphicsCards.sgr settings (See MTS SimsWiki here). Now the FPS is much higher and where it should be. I'll re-post some specs later once I have a minute to go in game and gather it. Still testing but liking the results even more. :wink:
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Vanjok wrote:
    Thanks for confirming. I bit the bullet and ordered the laptop yesterday. I'll let you know how I go :)
    Of course, you're most welcome to! :)
    faabulous wrote:

faabulous, I know you directed this at summermistx3 but I spotted it and think I can help. :D

If you have registered your games you should be able to sign in to origin and get the digital download version. Just uninstall the expansion pack that was released latest (for me it would be uni as that was most recently released) and then install it via origin instead. You won't need a disk to play.

Hope that helps! :D
    Thank you so much for helping, Cinderellimouse! :)

Also double check if your optical drive works well with other games, CDs, DVDs. Test everything on your new laptop just in case you find a defect.

I apologize for the absence! But it seems most have been covered by lovely helpers :D
    mypugrocks3,

If your budget is 300 to 400 I would look at these Laptops

ASUS K55N-DS81 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230960

Be sure to read the Feedback on them, 4 eggs and up is good.

Asus - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230960

HP Pavilion - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834256928

ASUS K55 Series - I have this one - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230909

Samsug - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131444R

- All of these will run Sims 3 well and on all High Settings, also refurbished means it was sent back, they fixed it, possibly upgraded it, tested it and put it back up for sale at a lower price as it was previously owned.

I recently took back my Laptop that had the Nvidia 635M Vidi card and bought this Laptop outright http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230909 for the 7640G Vidi Card (I'll post images in a bit) right now all my Sims 3 settings are on High but Tree Detail and Mirror and Reflections.

Yes it is refurbished but that not a big deal, mine is also refurbished and it runs great. Now the 4GB of Ram runs Sims 3 but I like 6 to 8 GB of Ram so I just ordered another stick of 4GB Ram for $30 to put in my new Laptop. It time because I want to I'll order a 7200 RPM HD and it will run better then my Nvidia 635M did, for the price in Canada that's a sweet deal.

It's a great Laptop for the price and I think it's Free Shipping in the US. Also before I bought my Laptop I read the reviews and they were good, I also did research as well and am most happy with my purchase.

Sure a new Laptop be great but to find one with decent specs to run Sims 3 would be more then $374.00.
    Thank you so much for your help! :)

And mypugrocks3, I understand you would have preferred buying in-store, but with a budget of $300-$400, it's very tough (especially if you consider Best Buy). Sims 3 is more demanding than it appears so your best bet would be a refurbished. Also if you're considering a brand new laptop, I would suggest increasing your budget to at least $500, especially on newegg as they offer free shipping and no tax (unless you're in California). It'll be a well worth investment, I'm sure you don't want to keep changing laptops as the next few expansion packs release. Having a strong graphics card is crucial.

And Illyianna, I'm surprised you returned your dedicated 635M laptop for an integrated 7640G, as well as receiving better performance? You should definitely update us with pictures of your game!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    blunote00 wrote:
    @summermistx3,

I finally had a few hours to mess around with my settings and got everything figured out... about time, eh? Had my nVidia card set everywhere except DeviceConfig.log file. Card was too new and wasn't being picked up there. Had to go into the Program Files and edit the GraphicsCards.sgr settings (See MTS SimsWiki here). Now the FPS is much higher and where it should be. I'll re-post some specs later once I have a minute to go in game and gather it. Still testing but liking the results even more. :wink:
    Thank you so much for sharing this blu! Glad you're getting the full juice out of the nice graphics card you paid for :D I don't understand why this is being a problem for some. Reading your post I figured it was a problem for high-end graphics cards but we've had someone else with medium graphics card, AMD Radeon HD 7730M:
    aimeeast wrote:
    I hope blu's post helps!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I mostly returned my 635M because I got It through Easy Home and it coast me 30 a week so 120 a month for two years. By the end of two years that Laptop would of coast me over $2000 bucks which it really was not worth for a 635M.

For $2000 I could of got an Alien Ware, so I read on here people with the 7640G had Sims on all High and it ran great. Where my 635M would only run Sims 3 on Low to Med.

Now with this new Laptop which I linked above my Sims 3 is on all High settings and looks pretty good, and the Laptop runs it better then the 635M, I think it's because its Quad Core and it's mine which is important, here are some pictures.

Screenshot_zps2a63dc80.jpg

Screenshot-3_zps2dddcf44.jpg

From my experience I'm finding the 7640G is better then the 635M and so to me I like the G cards over the M ones.
  • Options
    0ojoyo00ojoyo0 Posts: 4
    edited April 2013
    So happy I found this thread! I've been researching a new laptop for about a month and I think I found the one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314017

I love the processor and graphics cards, but I'm not crazy about the hard drive, OS and RAM. These are easy fixes, however, so I will definitely be happy to go with this laptop if there's nothing better. My goal, if I end up with this one, will be to add an SSD and upgrade memory as time/money allows.

The question is, is there anything better out there for this price point? The 15.4" screen is important as I do travel a lot, but no smaller, because I still need to see the screen! Unless there's a 14" that blows this out of the water. I need it to run all the expansions and I really don't want to go over $800. It would be amazing if I can find a laptop with similar or better hardware still running Windows 7. Refurbished is completely acceptable.
  • Options
    blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited April 2013
    blunote00 wrote:
    @summermistx3,

Thank you so much for sharing this blu! Glad you're getting the full juice out of the nice graphics card you paid for :D I don't understand why this is being a problem for some. Reading your post I figured it was a problem for high-end graphics cards but we've had someone else with medium graphics card, AMD Radeon HD 7730M:
    aimeeast wrote:
    I hope blu's post helps!
    You're welcome. I'm still playing (too much fun), haven't gathered a thing, yet. :oops: :lol:

In regards to the DeviceConfig.log file...
    What I'm talking about is the link I posted to MTS will tell you how to get the game to recognize your graphics card if it is new and not showing on the (.sgr) files. I only had to edit one of the files.

MTS Game Help: Getting new graphics card recognized by the game.

Even though I had it set in the NCP (nVidia control panel), the game still didn't recognize my graphics card because it's new.
    2cdcu28.jpg

I went to check the GraphicsCard.sgr file under Programs and my card wasn't listed.
    vomnon.jpg

I had to follow the instructions on the link (above) and manually add my card. It only went up to the GTX 660M.
    34rix40.jpg

I checked the GraphicsRules.sgr file and did a find on "*GTX 6??*". It was already there, so I did not need to edit this file.
    jv63vt.jpg

Now this is what my current DeviceConfig.log file looks like. I have the correct card showing and Found=1, Matched=1.
    29eoi82.jpg

Hope this helps. :wink:
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).