Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

AwesomeMod vs. Nraas Mod

So currently I have the Nraas mod. I've read good things about AwesomeMod as well. I want to know if I should delete the Nraas Mod and get the Awesome mod....suggestions? :3

Comments

• Options
    MinDtriKzMinDtriKz Posts: 5,441 Member
    edited December 2012
    Nraas > all other mods combined
    Just my opinion. Nraas makes a ton of high quality mods that are always updated.

Also, didn't think we were allowed to discuss any mods that raised the rating of the game above a "T for Teen" rating.
  • Options
    HavenHimoriHavenHimori Posts: 32
    edited December 2012
    alright thank you...and oops my bad >.<
  • Options
    LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited December 2012
    MinDtriKz wrote:
    Nraas > all other mods combined
    Just my opinion. Nraas makes a ton of high quality mods that are always updated.

Also, didn't think we were allowed to discuss any mods that raised the rating of the game above a "T for Teen" rating.

Interestingly, it might be worth noting that Pescado has hardcoded his Awesome-mod to crash your game if you try to do anything that exceeds american puritanism. Whatever else you can say about Pescado, he is very hardline about that. Twallan leaves it up to the user, but we can freely discuss Twallan while people get iffy when we discuss Pescado... Weird standards here.

The difference between Pescado and Twallan is that Pescado's mod directly interacts with the game. Awesome is a core-mod and is, frankly, obsolete. It is bruteforcing your game to do all the neat stuff and that was the only way to do it back when TS3 was just the basegame.

Thanks to progress, there are more elegant ways to alter your experience and that means Nraas Industries.

Another thing is, that if you decide to go with Awesome and try to get help on MATY, get ready to be humiliated, ridiculed, insulted, stepped on, spit on and left for dead in a ditch. Internet induced suicide starts there. Don't say I didn't warn you.
  • Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited December 2012
    Another thing is, that if you decide to go with Awesome and try to get help on MATY, get ready to be humiliated, ridiculed, insulted, stepped on, spit on and left for dead in a ditch. Internet induced suicide starts there. Don't say I didn't warn you.

This.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    VihzelVihzel Posts: 734 New Member
    edited December 2012
    Interestingly, it might be worth noting that Pescado has hardcoded his Awesome-mod to crash your game if you try to do anything that exceeds american puritanism.

Would you be able to explain a little further? Why would anyone want to purposely crash a game other than for safety reasons?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Vihzel wrote:
    Interestingly, it might be worth noting that Pescado has hardcoded his Awesome-mod to crash your game if you try to do anything that exceeds american puritanism.

Would you be able to explain a little further? Why would anyone want to purposely crash a game other than for safety reasons?

Pescado's redeeming quality is that he is very opposed to any form of child-abuse. Therefore, any attempt to use his Awesome-mod to have adultsims set their sights below YA will cause your game to CTD.

Twallan's mods, since they are scripts, don't have that failsave. It's up to the user's discretion to make the game as dark as taste allows.

The line quoted is a bit strong worded in hindsight,granted.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2012
    Previous post here is misleading. Some of the NRAAS mods are core mods as well.

Here is the single biggest reason to go NRAAS instead of Awesomemod:

NRAAS is modular, you pick and choose what mods you want in your game and each is very specific in what it does.

Awesomemod on the other hand is an all-in-one solution, which means you get a whole lot of stuff modded that you may not want.

NRAAS is far superior because of this one big difference.

Friendliness of support at NRAAS vs. the beat-down brigade at MATY, as someone else already pointed out, is also a big difference. Personally I find the MATY forums entertaining to read, but I can see how someone seeking help might be intimidated. It's really not that bad unless you aren't smart enough to search the forum before posting a question that has already been asked and answered.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    VihzelVihzel Posts: 734 New Member
    edited December 2012
    Pescado's redeeming quality is that he is very opposed to any form of child-abuse. Therefore, any attempt to use his Awesome-mod to have adultsims set their sights below YA will cause your game to CTD.

Twallan's mods, since they are scripts, don't have that failsave. It's up to the user's discretion to make the game as dark as taste allows.

Oh ok that makes a lot more sense. The way that it was worded sounded like the game would purposely be crashed if there's any hint of something done that isn't "American" (whatever that may mean in TS3). lol
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Stormkeep wrote:
    Previous post here is misleading. Some of the NRAAS mods are core mods as well.

Here is the single biggest reason to go NRAAS instead of Awesomemod:

NRAAS is modular, you pick and choose what mods you want in your game and each is very specific in what it does.

Awesomemod on the other hand is an all-in-one solution, which means you get a whole lot of stuff modded that you may not want.

NRAAS is far superior because of this one big difference.

Friendliness of support at NRAAS vs. the beat-down brigade at MATY, as someone else already pointed out, is also a big difference. Personally I find the MATY forums entertaining to read, but I can see how someone seeking help might be intimidated. It's really not that bad unless you aren't smart enough to search the forum before posting a question that has already been asked and answered.

When Nraas calls something a coremod, it means that it is the mod you must have for plug-ins you might be interested in.

Nraas: scripts.
    Awesome: hardcode.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    When Nraas calls something a coremod, it means that it is the mod you must have for plug-ins you might be interested in.

Core Mod has a quite specific definition for TS3, and Twallan does not throw the term around incorrectly. You are wrong. The term Twallan uses for mods you must have for plug-ins is "Base-mod". When he says core mod, he means core mod.

Error Trap, for example, is a core mod. He is quite specific in spelling that out on the main page for the mod.

Most of his mods are not core mods though, but some of them are. I agree with you that this is a good thing, hence why I pointed out that the modular nature of NRAAS mods make them a better choice.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Vihzel wrote:

Oh ok that makes a lot more sense. The way that it was worded sounded like the game would purposely be crashed if there's any hint of something done that isn't "American" (whatever that may mean in TS3). lol

Heh, it was just my knee-jerk reaction to the american shame-culture that gives way to a disparity in what can be displayed in a game versus what can't be. Brutally murdering an opponent in a game can be gloriously displayed, praised and given stylepoints, w/e floats your boat. But female frontal nudity has to be censored since that isn't T for teen? And people wonder why the current generation is messed up?

Any culture that is ashamed to display women in all glory, but reveres brutal violence, murder and ruthless crime should really, really, sit down and think hard about the future. Because that culture is going nowhere fast.

*smirk* Americans...
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Stormkeep wrote:

Core Mod has a quite specific definition for TS3, and Twallan does not throw the term around incorrectly. You are wrong. The term Twallan uses for mods you must have for plug-ins is "Base-mod". When he says core mod, he means core mod.

Error Trap, for example, is a core mod. He is quite specific in spelling that out on the main page for the mod.

Most of his mods are not core mods though, but some of them are. I agree with you that this is a good thing, hence why I pointed out that the modular nature of NRAAS mods make them a better choice.

I stand corrected. Thanks for setting me straight on this!
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    edited December 2012
    Pescado also codes Awesomemod to crash to the desktop if you don't update it in time. Meaning you have to stay current to the patch AND to his released version. Or at least he had it coded that way when I last had it installed. Which was way back before Ambitions even.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Seera1024 wrote:
    Pescado also codes Awesomemod to crash to the desktop if you don't update it in time. Meaning you have to stay current to the patch AND to his released version. Or at least he had it coded that way when I last had it installed. Which was way back before Ambitions even.

Yah, that drove me nuts! Sometimes on my laptop I didn't have a internet connection available but it would tell me the mod had expired and kick me out of the game. :cry:

Needless to say, I don't use awesomemod anymore.
  • Options
    ecole44ecole44 Posts: 509 New Member
    edited December 2012
    It is possible to run awesome mod and all or any NRAAS mods. Including error trap. I do, and I haven't run into any problems. I've read that awesome mod recognizes NRAAS story progression and defaults off.

As far as "american puritanism" goes, I noticed that any teen/ adult relationships were considered 🐸🐸🐸🐸/pedobait (one of the added traits with awesome mod), and if a relationship was induced then often times the cops would show up to take the adult away. It was funny.

I have never experienced any awesome mod induced game crashes.....
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    ecole44 wrote:
    It is possible to run awesome mod and all or any NRAAS mods. Including error trap. I do, and I haven't run into any problems. I've read that awesome mod recognizes NRAAS story progression and defaults off.

Don't give bad advice. Twallan himself says not to run other core mods with his on his site. You do not need both mods, they basically do the exact same things (with only some differences).
  • Options
    hippiegoddesshippiegoddess Posts: 35 New Member
    edited December 2012
    I tried the travel mod, but it ended up screwing my game up in the process. It made it flicker and I couldn't click or move anything, so I removed the mod, and everything worked fine again. Shame, because I was so excited to use it.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    MinDtriKz wrote:
    ecole44 wrote:

Don't give bad advice. Twallan himself says not to run other core mods with his on his site. You do not need both mods, they basically do the exact same things (with only some differences).

I'm not giving bad advice. I'm just sharing my experience. I've read about others that use both. Core mods are not suppose to run together, I realize this, but it's been discussed that they work together. Google it.

Also they don't do the exact same thing. Awesome mod has loads of random capabilities like additional traits, optional ts2 aging, and it fixes a bunch of broken store content.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    ecole44 wrote:
    MinDtriKz wrote:
    ecole44 wrote:

I'm not giving bad advice. I'm just sharing my experience. I've read others that use both. Core mods are not suppose to run together, I realize this, but it's been discussed that they work together. Google it.

Also they don't do the exact same thing. Awesome mod has loads of random capabilities like additional traits, optional ts2 aging, and it fixes a bunch of broken store content.

Actually I'll expand on both of our answers by linking this: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Awesome
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    MinDtriKz wrote:
    ecole44 wrote:
    MinDtriKz wrote:
    ecole44 wrote:

I'm not giving bad advice. I'm just sharing my experience. I've read others that use both. Core mods are not suppose to run together, I realize this, but it's been discussed that they work together. Google it.

Actually I'll expand on both of our answers by linking this: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Awesome

ErrorTrap
    Don't be confused by the fact they are both Core-Mods, this mods can be installed simultaneously with Awesome

Directly from that link. I was right. I was not giving bad advice, so I suggest to the OP that he try out both mods, instead of sacrificing one for the other.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    ecole44 wrote:
    MinDtriKz wrote:
    ecole44 wrote:
    MinDtriKz wrote:
    ecole44 wrote:

ErrorTrap
    Don't be confused by the fact they are both Core-Mods, this mods can be installed simultaneously with Awesome

Directly from that link. I was right. I was not giving bad advice, so I suggest to the OP that he try out both mods, instead of sacrificing one for the other.

Hence why I shared the link.

Edit: in case I am not being clear here, I retract the former posts and would just like the link to serve as help to the OP/ curious readers.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    MinDtriKz wrote:
    ecole44 wrote:
    MinDtriKz wrote:
    ecole44 wrote:
    MinDtriKz wrote:
    ecole44 wrote:

ErrorTrap

Hence why I shared the link.

Edit: in case I am not being clear here, I retract the former posts and would just like the link to serve as help to the OP/ curious readers.

Basically you must answer this question for yourself:
    A) Do you consent with a modder that dictates how you play: Pescado
    B) Do you consent with a modder that gives you the freedom to decide for yourself: Twallan

The choice shouldn't be that hard, if you ask me.
  • Options
    ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    edited December 2012
    As others have said, Awesomemod is an all-in-one package and a core mod, whereas NRaas offers several mostly non-core mods, which allows you to pick and choose mods with the features that you want. Twallan himself is very communicative and helpful here on the forums and on his own site, so you'll get a lot of support if you run into issues. Pescado and the community on his site do answer questions but can be pretty impatient and condescending -- attitudes one might expect on more competitive, adrenalined-fueled gaming forums, but that seem pretty ridiculous for a game about making manz and womanz and their houses.

Anyway, NRaas mods tend to be more stable, easier to customize, and more popular so you'll get much better support for them from Twallan and the many kind Simmers who are familiar with his mods. I've tried Awesomemod and I can't think of anything particularly worthwhile about it. It's for people who like NRaas but wish that his mods broke your game more and that he'd be a jerk about it.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Archivist wrote:
    but that seem pretty ridiculous for a game about making manz and womanz and their houses.

LOL, this snippet genuinely made me laugh.
  • Options
    shesclassyshesclassy Posts: 477 Member
    edited December 2012
    Archivist wrote:
    Pescado and the community on his site do answer questions but can be pretty impatient and condescending -- attitudes one might expect on more competitive, adrenalined-fueled gaming forums, but that seem pretty ridiculous for a game about making manz and womanz and their houses.
    I blush every time I see a non-computer-literate person get ripped up over @ MATY. I'm pretty sure it originated from the fact Pescado did ALL the TS2 mods so he knew he had the community eating out of the palm of his hand and it didn't matter how they were treated. Either way I haven't used any of his mods for years.