Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

AwesomeMod vs. Nraas Mod

Comments

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2012
    While I don't disagree entirely with the above points, I think it is worth mentioning that Pescado himself is not actually that bad unless someone posts something really stupid. His posse can be merciless, but he himself generally is pretty decent.

I was a long time user of Pescado's mods from TS2 and I don't think I ever saw him being a jerk to anyone that wasn't really, really asking for it. Like I said, his posse is a different story. :mrgreen:
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited December 2012
    shesclassy wrote:
    Archivist wrote:
    Pescado and the community on his site do answer questions but can be pretty impatient and condescending -- attitudes one might expect on more competitive, adrenalined-fueled gaming forums, but that seem pretty ridiculous for a game about making manz and womanz and their houses.
    I blush every time I see a non-computer-literate person get ripped up over @ MATY. I'm pretty sure it originated from the fact Pescado did ALL the TS2 mods so he knew he had the community eating out of the palm of his hand and it didn't matter how they were treated. Either way I haven't used any of his mods for years.

Pescado himself is quite a likeable sort.(I have chatted with him many times over the years on MTS and I never had a skin-crawl experience with him.) His croonies are detestable though. They rub me in all the wrong ways and that's quite an achievement since I pride myself in being the one that does the rubbing mostly.

But then again, I also get skin-crawl experiences on here, with people who think they're celebs because they can stack pre-fab components in a game in new and interesting ways. Please, tell me again how many recs you extorted from your fans. Please. *shudders*

The boasting about being a featured creator on here also makes me laugh. I'm always tempted to remind people that a kid on here became a featured creator by uploading an ALL PINK STROLLER. I say again: ALL PINK STROLLER. Being featured on here means nothing.

I could go on and on, but basically, MATY is just a polarization of the TS3 community in general: people seeking to be superior over others.
  • MinDtriKzMinDtriKz Posts: 5,441 Member
    edited December 2012
    I could go on and on, but basically, MATY is just a polarization of the TS3 community in general: people seeking to be superior over others.

That's a tad cynical, no?
  • SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    edited December 2012
    Archivist wrote:
    It's for people who like NRaas but wish that his mods broke your game more and that he'd be a jerk about it.

Lol. That was funny.
  • vanacakesvanacakes Posts: 353
    edited March 2013
    tbh i dont think awesomemod is really that difficult to comprehend. they made it stupid easy to config your settings yourself with the config settings page and if i ever need to change anything, my preferences are stored in my cookies so i dont have to fix everything at once.

People say nraas is more simplistic but honestly i never got the hang of it and i use awesomemode because im familiar with it.

I will say the debate between the groups is borderline pc/mac fanboy level.
  • blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited March 2013
    Archivist wrote:
    As others have said, Awesomemod is an all-in-one package and a core mod, whereas NRaas offers several mostly non-core mods, which allows you to pick and choose mods with the features that you want. Twallan himself is very communicative and helpful here on the forums and on his own site, so you'll get a lot of support if you run into issues. Pescado and the community on his site do answer questions but can be pretty impatient and condescending -- attitudes one might expect on more competitive, adrenalined-fueled gaming forums, but that seem pretty ridiculous for a game about making manz and womanz and their houses.

Anyway, NRaas mods tend to be more stable, easier to customize, and more popular so you'll get much better support for them from Twallan and the many kind Simmers who are familiar with his mods. I've tried Awesomemod and I can't think of anything particularly worthwhile about it. It's for people who like NRaas but wish that his mods broke your game more and that he'd be a jerk about it.
    I love it when you post. :mrgreen:
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • Only1whtrbbtOnly1whtrbbt Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited March 2013
    Archivist wrote:
    I've tried Awesomemod and I can't think of anything particularly worthwhile about it. It's for people who like NRaas but wish that his mods broke your game more and that he'd be a jerk about it.

:mrgreen:
  • danivixendanivixen Posts: 4,254 New Member
    edited March 2013
    vanacakes wrote:
    tbh i dont think awesomemod is really that difficult to comprehend. they made it stupid easy to config your settings yourself with the config settings page and if i ever need to change anything, my preferences are stored in my cookies so i dont have to fix everything at once.

People say nraas is more simplistic but honestly i never got the hang of it and i use awesomemode because im familiar with it.

I will say the debate between the groups is borderline pc/mac fanboy level.

But um, no, it's not. :XD:
  • azxcvbnm321azxcvbnm321 Posts: 532 Member
    edited March 2013
    Although I've never tried Awesome Mod, I'm glad that there are two options for me and glad that both modders spent a lot of time working on something that they gave out for free.

Not everyone has a friendly, bubbly personality. I personally think Pescado has earned the right to insult those who he thinks ask stupid questions on his board, he's done a lot for the community including releasing SimPE. Hopefully he will continue to mod, I'd hate to lose that kind of talent.

Twallan is a saint. I can't believe the amount of work he's put into his mods. Frankly Sims3 would be unplayable for me without NRaas mods. He's fixed more bugs and issues than EA in all of their patches.
  • horrorfan1980shorrorfan1980s Posts: 2,900 Member
    edited March 2013
    Although I've never tried Awesome Mod, I'm glad that there are two options for me and glad that both modders spent a lot of time working on something that they gave out for free.

Not everyone has a friendly, bubbly personality. I personally think Pescado has earned the right to insult those who he thinks ask stupid questions on his board, he's done a lot for the community including releasing SimPE. Hopefully he will continue to mod, I'd hate to lose that kind of talent.

Twallan is a saint. I can't believe the amount of work he's put into his mods. Frankly Sims3 would be unplayable for me without NRaas mods. He's fixed more bugs and issues than EA in all of their patches.

Not disputing the huge amount of work that Pescado has done for the Sims community, but that does not give him the right to insult people. I can't say that I'm a saint either, but I try to polite and civil at all times. The one think that puts me right off Awesome Mod is the links between MATY and places like SunsetSims, which hosted pirated EA content (not cc but official content).

Twallan is definitely a saint - he even apologised on his site the other day about perhaps being short with anyone. Get the impression you would never get that from MATY.
    can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will boxed after sword is out.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    edited March 2013
    I've used Twallan's mods and have never tried Awesome Mod. I don't think I would like a mod that changes the game the way that core mods do and I am perfectly happy with MC and SP. :mrgreen:

Just the name, MoreAwesomeThanYou has a snooty connotation. :lol: Just pointing that out. :oops:
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member
    edited March 2013
    I would love to know who Pescado is, I find the guy fascinating. I would love to know what drove him to take on the issues of Sims 2 and Sims 3.

I have never particularly found him to be rude or aggresive in his manner on the MATy site, but he does not suffer fools for sure. Its a terrible shame though that he surrounds himself with the rottweilers and lets them get away with their awful spiteful behaviour.

Ive used both Awesome mod and Nraas. If it were not for the bullying behaviour on that site I woudl probably still use awesome mod, but im a fan of Nraas now and use all twallans mods, but there are some things about awesome mod that I really miss. Like the ability to set your sim a task and they would go away and do it till they drop, whether that was gathering seeds, gems or pursuing a particular skill. I found awesome mod very easy to edit to my prefences.
  • rktrrktr Posts: 214 Member
    edited March 2013
    The deciding factor for me was the attitudes on each site when it came to asking for help. Although I have never dealt directly with Pescado, I have been torn a new one by the other followers. Whereas on Nraas I think the meanest thing I have ever seen is Twallan leaving off a smiley face at the of one of his replies. :lol:
  • jesusismyairbagjesusismyairbag Posts: 109 Member
    edited March 2013
    the only good thing about awesomemod is its ability to keep out pudding face. wish i could have that without having to use awesome. but i dont think its possible.
  • KyrinaFarstarKyrinaFarstar Posts: 116 Member
    edited March 2013
    I have used both mods extensively and I prefer Awesome. To me the added bug fixes are a huge bonus, the mod does the same job as several other Nraas mods. As others mentioned, it's a good all rounder. It is easier to configure than the Nraas story progression too IMO.

I do really love the stability of Nraas mods but I prefer the way that Awesomemod handles story progression. It appears to actually push the game to make things happen rather than producing the effects. Both are good though and you will never go back to playing without one no matter which you choose.
  • ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,404 Member
    edited March 2013
    Okay, so let me first say that I did some research after finding this thread but I'm still a little confused (and would rather have ya'll reply than get word bombed at his site).

1. I understand that if I install Awesomemod and have Twallan's SP, Twallan's will override it if I wish. What is the difference between AM and Twallan's story progression though?

2. Ya'll said that a lot of Twallan's mods are the same/similar in AM--which ones would I still "need" that AM doesn't offer?

3. I use various mods from MTS and Sims Asylum; examples of creators are: shimrod, twoftmama, bluejenjutsu, nonamena etc. I believe that these are just script/tuning mods similar to Twallan's...so can they still be used in conjunction with AM?

Thanks!
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    edited March 2013
    I personally would not recommend AwesomeMod for anyone new to mods. Just because it is such a huge mod that covers everything. And how his posse has a tendency to jump on anyone who even seems like they haven't done any research on the problem they have.

AwesomeMod doesn't have an official page that has every affect the mod does and from what I've heard from people whose word I trust, he does have some features that are not documented and not tunable. And the documentation is primarily user created and not creator created, from what I understand.

Now, if the person was experienced with mods (Sims 2 or Sims 3), then I would give them the pros and cons of each and let them decide.

I personally prefer Twallan's suite.

I can pick and choose what I want changed in my game without having to go mess with a tuning file that can only be created online and not in game.

I can change my mind on what settings I want and change them in game without having to quit my game, go to the site, and find the setting I need to change and change it, then load my game back up.

I also don't like being forced to update my game when Pescado dictates because AM now requires the next patch. I understand why he coded the mod to do what it does and I don't blame him for it, it's just not something I like.

But on the other hand, with AwesomeMod, it can be hard to find other mods that will play nice with it since it does have its fingers in a lot of things, so it reduces the number of mods you have to make sure are updated every time an EP or patch is released.
  • crystal91390crystal91390 Posts: 2,882 New Member
    edited March 2013
    Nraas all the way, no doubt about it. Creator is amazing and updates super fast, very helpful as well :)
  • SeanieRockz44SeanieRockz44 Posts: 852 New Member
    edited March 2013
    Oh Nraas without a doubt. Awesomemod crashing your game is just stupid - who is he to judge how you like to play? And it doesn't help that people on MATY are absolute complete jerks who think they are awesome (get the pun?) when they really are a bunch of idiots.
    edited March 2013
    Oh Nraas without a doubt. Awesomemod crashing your game is just stupid - who is he to judge how you like to play? And it doesn't help that people on MATY are absolute complete jerks who think they are awesome (get the pun?) when they really are a bunch of idiots.

What you do in game doesn't crash your game. He only creates realistic effects to things. And let's just say in Pescado's mind a Sim teen is always 13 and a Sim adult is always like 30 or older. Basically different enough in ages to NOT be an 18 and 17 year old couple.

The only time the game crashes with AwesomeMod is if the mod has expired. Pescado ensures that everyone is running his most up to date mod when they go to post problems is by making it so that every so often you have to redownload the mod. Even if there isn't a new patch or EP released recently.
  • MissFelixiaMissFelixia Posts: 1,164 New Member
    edited March 2013
    ecole44 wrote:
    It is possible to run awesome mod and all or any NRAAS mods. Including error trap. I do, and I haven't run into any problems. I've read that awesome mod recognizes NRAAS story progression and defaults off.

As far as "american puritanism" goes, I noticed that any teen/ adult relationships were considered 🐸🐸🐸🐸/pedobait (one of the added traits with awesome mod), and if a relationship was induced then often times the cops would show up to take the adult away. It was funny.

I have never experienced any awesome mod induced game crashes.....

pretty much this the world is messed up it kinda shows in these games the fact he makes it do that is one reason i never got it. i discovered nraas and only use those now but yeh. you cant even make fantasy style games. like children that are over 1000 years old
    and teen to adult pfft yeh awesome mod sounds bad. i think there is lots of hidden things in awesome mod. dunno why it says it can enable teen/adult love if it does that. i am glad we have the nraas.
    edited March 2013
    ecole44 wrote:
    It is possible to run awesome mod and all or any NRAAS mods. Including error trap. I do, and I haven't run into any problems. I've read that awesome mod recognizes NRAAS story progression and defaults off.

As far as "american puritanism" goes, I noticed that any teen/ adult relationships were considered 🐸🐸🐸🐸/pedobait (one of the added traits with awesome mod), and if a relationship was induced then often times the cops would show up to take the adult away. It was funny.

pretty much this the world is messed up it kinda shows in these games the fact he makes it do that is one reason i never got it. i discovered nraas and only use those now but yeh. you cant even make fantasy style games. like children that are over 1000 years old
    and teen to adult pfft yeh awesome mod sounds bad. i think there is lots of hidden things in awesome mod. dunno why it says it can enable teen/adult love if it does that. i am glad we have the nraas.

At first it didn't have anything that would enable teen to adult relationships.

But then so many people bugged him about it. And well, Pescado doesn't add things to the game that would counter his view of how the game should be. He then got a clever way of giving the players what they wanted without going against his policy. A be careful what you wish for warning to those who request things to be added.
  • MissFelixiaMissFelixia Posts: 1,164 New Member
    edited March 2013
    Seera1024 wrote:
    ecole44 wrote:

At first it didn't have anything that would enable teen to adult relationships.

But then so many people bugged him about it. And well, Pescado doesn't add things to the game that would counter his view of how the game should be. He then got a clever way of giving the players what they wanted without going against his policy. A be careful what you wish for warning to those who request things to be added.
    am guessing that's the Child to Adult relationship just miss worded on the description. am guessing it means teen to adult. but yeh. am guessing everyone who asked moved to nraas instead ^.^
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited June 2013
    Long story short:

I want to change the familial relationship of my family because my family tree got messed up. Grandson to Son, Half-Brother/Sister to Brother/Sister, etc.

I thought NRass does this but all I see is: Friends, BFF, Romantic Interest, etc.

So can what I want be done with NRass? And if not is there a MOD that has just that feature alone?
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • gcgradgcgrad Posts: 14
    edited June 2013
    Deshong04 wrote:
    Long story short:

I want to change the familial relationship of my family because my family tree got messed up. Grandson to Son, Half-Brother/Sister to Brother/Sister, etc.

I thought NRass does this but all I see is: Friends, BFF, Romantic Interest, etc.

So can what I want be done with NRass? And if not is there a MOD that has just that feature alone?

In order to do that with Twallan's (NRaas Industries) mods, you have to have both MasterController (base-mod) and MasterController Cheats (additional module) installed. Interactions are listed here: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/MasterController+Interactions

In-game you click on the sim: NRAAS: MasterController: Advanced: Family... From there you have the options to Add Child, Add Parent, Add Sibling, Remove Child, Remove Parent, and Remove Sibling. You may have to do this to a good portion (if not all) of the family affected by the mixed-up family tree.